2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
46 members (Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, 5 invisible), 1,240 guests, and 259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2147473 09/10/13 10:25 AM
S
OP Offline
S
I am a professional pianist and want to compose a piece for strings quartet.

I havent got too much knowledge about composition as composers here have.

NEED BOOK NAME SUGGESTIONS TO LEARN.

THANKS!

Last edited by saratogaUSA; 09/10/13 10:47 AM.
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
...I suspect a troll. Surely a professional musician would not need to go onto the Internet and cry inarticulately for advice on a matter like this.

I'll wait to see what others say.

Regards,

Polyphonist
S
OP Offline
S
i said pro pianist, not COMPOSER and this is not a "cry"

you are right, professional musicians goes to a library and search unconsciously for their needs out of hundreds of books and waste a lot of time while doing that.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Saratoga,

It's quite difficult to actually give you any meaningful reply... At least I can't, cause I don't know any "101 course on how to compose".

Usually what people do is that they start copying other works and ideas and slowly the develop their own style... And of course in order to compose for strings you need to know what strings can and can't play.

That said would you like to explain a little better what you feel is missing (your shortcomings) and what you're looking for?

Perhaps others know of books that offer a guideline on how to compose (in fact I remember a couple of members posting such links), but I can't be of help in this way, I'm afraid.

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by saratogaUSA
i said pro pianist, not COMPOSER

I didn't say composer either.

and this is not a "cry"

Indeed it is. You put half your post in CAPITAL LETTERS which implies SHOUTING.

And it is also inarticulate. Your sentences are incoherent and disjointed. "I am a professional pianist and want to compose a piece for strings quartet." Strings quartet? What is that? "I havent got too much knowledge about composition as composers here have." You have left out the apostrophe in "haven't", in addition to the second half of the sentence not agreeing with the first half. "NEED BOOK NAME SUGGESTIONS TO LEARN." Here you start screaming and demanding like a child, and your sentence has no subject.

A real professional would conduct themselves with a little more maturity and self-respect, even online.

you are right, professional musicians goes to a library and search unconsciously for their needs out of hundreds of books and waste a lot of time while doing that.

Maybe you don't understand a library filing system, but you must understand that the rest of the population does. And I would not have taken issue if you had asked on this forum politely and coherently, and explained yourself a little more.

Regards,

Polyphonist
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Polyphonist: What if... dare I say, the OP is NOT native English, or American? Could it be that he failed to omit the "s" from strings? Come on...

And what if, just if... he's not accustomed to the Internet ideal of SHOUTING VERY LOUD IN CAPITAL LETTERS!

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Nikolas
Polyphonist: What if... dare I say, the OP is NOT native English, or American? Could it be that he failed to omit the "s" from strings? Come on...

And what if, just if... he's not accustomed to the Internet ideal of SHOUTING VERY LOUD IN CAPITAL LETTERS!

For some reason I doubt that he's not native English. Part of this may stem from the fact that his username contains the letters "USA."

And I wasn't under the impression that SHOUTING VERY LOUD IN CAPITAL LETTERS was an ideal anywhere, let alone on a supposedly intelligent and educated classical music discussion board. wink

Regards,

Polyphonist
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
It is an odd request. On the off chance that it is real, or some others reading along are looking for advice, I would echo Nikolas' sentiments. Start with derivative work, writing in a style that a person likes. For a pianist with strong sight reading skills, studying and deconstructing scores can be a powerful way to learn.

A pro pianist of any kind almost certainly has friends that are composers or mentors. Ask those contacts in person, or get a referral to another person. That would be way, way better than any book, or asking strangers on the Internet.

One mystery is why no background information is given. Pro? What kind of pro? What kind of musical education? Almost all classically trained pianists study theory and composition. That kind of person wouldn't need a beginner's book on composition, they already own one or more. A pop or jazz pianist almost certainly has many friends in the music business because that is the primary way to get paying gigs, and many would see a beginner's book as a complete waste of time.

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Sand Tiger
It is an odd request. On the off chance that it is real, or some others reading along are looking for advice, I would echo Nikolas' sentiments. Start with derivative work, writing in a style that a person likes. For a pianist with strong sight reading skills, studying and deconstructing scores can be a powerful way to learn.

A pro pianist of any kind almost certainly has friends that are composers or mentors. Ask those contacts in person, or get a referral to another person. That would be way, way better than any book, or asking strangers on the Internet.

One mystery is why no background information is given. Pro? What kind of pro? What kind of musical education? Almost all classically trained pianists study theory and composition. That kind of person wouldn't need a beginner's book on composition, they already own one or more. A pop or jazz pianist almost certainly has many friends in the music business because that is the primary way to get paying gigs, and many would see a beginner's book as a complete waste of time.

Sand Tiger has echoed the thoughts that I was too lazy to write out. You have no contacts anywhere, saratoga? No one you could ask, nowhere your brilliant career has led you that could help you get started? Nothing better to do than lament to us of your plight, we who do not know you and probably aren't interested in knowing you after seeing the way you post?

A quick glance over this user's previous posts confirm my suspicion of a troll, and practically put it beyond all doubt. His blessedly small post history, in addition to not containing a single word of value to anyone, contains such absurdities as a request for "the complete conservatory repertoire" from "beginner to graduation," and a query as to what the best sheet music is (listing Peters, Ricordi, and Dover (!) as his candidates), all replete with grammar and syntax errors galore. And he claims to be a "professional."

Regards,

Polyphonist
S
S
If you're looking for a formal approach to composition training, you could try looking up the syllabus for a composition course at some university. Usually syllabi include information on the necessary textbooks. If you just want to compose for a string quartet you might start by researching the ranges on these instruments and also looking into what sort of things are playable on these instruments. You might even benefit from taking a few violin lessons. A general understanding of how to play these instruments will help you to know what is possible and impossible to achieve from a player.

If you do decide to take lessons, tell your teacher you don't really want to become a player but are hoping to compose. A decent teacher will know what information is relevant and what's not relevant, and can help illustrate by showing you the various techniques used on these instruments. Also many string players have played with other string players, so even if your teacher is a cellist, she can tell you how her instrument is different from a violin, etc.

Also if you are a professional, I would imagine you have some friends who are also musicians. Do you know any string players? If so you might not have to pay a dime and get most of your necessary information.

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
I'm glad I didn't see this until now. I'm not sure a serious answer is called for until and unless SaratogaUSA answers a few questions. I find myself wondering why a pianist would want to start at composing by tackling a string quartet. Perhaps a friend is getting married and an offer of piano playing services as wedding gift was rebuffed because they'd already decided to hire a quartet. Plan B was to write something for that quartet to play. So my speculation as to motivation is to fulfill a social obligation.

However, to seriously answer the OP's question we need to know what he/she knows with regard to theory and orchestration and what style of music they wish to compose in. Basically the question is one of where are you now and where do you want to go? We'll be happy to help you get there if you provide more information.

BTW, if all you need is a quartet for a social occasion I have one already composed and ready to go (it would be perfect for a wedding). I'll sell you a score, set of parts and performance rights for one performance for $50. That would certainly be cheaper than you learning how to compose a quartet. And just so you don't ask, no you cannot put your name on it.

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/pantonality
http://www.youtube.com/pantonality
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Hmm...it looks like the new PADS outbreak is extending into the composers forum as well. Or is this simply a case of the troll-and-run technique? grin

Regards,

Polyphonist
S
OP Offline
S
Instead of talking jibber-jabber like polyphonist do here, thanks to people who advice to me precious information. When a person talks too much like he does here, we understand that he or she is a illiterate person. Knowing the instruments and their capabilities i think one step to composing.. And the knowledge of the classical forms like sonata form helps to construct a composition, i heard before that analyzing the pieces really helps to understand composing technics.

My post doesnt have to be valuable, i asked what i want to learn, read it or shut up. Ä°f everyone asks something to their friends, what is this forum for? And my english doesnt have to be perfect as this wise guy, clever people always understand what you mean.
I am very curious about orchestration books, there are a few..

Last words: polyphonist you really have a verbal diarrhea.

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
When a person talks too much like he does here, we understand that he or she is a illiterate person.

"A illiterate person." Oh, the irony.

Regards,

Polyphonist
S
S
Personally I don't think it matters if the OP is a troll or not. Innocent until proven guilty, for one, and for two, it does not hurt to answer this question. Someone else might have the same or a similar question and could find this forum online and find some useful information as a result.

Just my two cents.

S
S
Such a scandalous question! No wonder the skeptics suspect a troll. Oh well....

I would recommend the book "Musical Composition" by Ellis B. Kohs who used to teach at USC. The book takes you through stepwise projects that might help get you started off composing. Even the skeptics might find it of interest.
http://www.amazon.com/Musical-Compo...amp;sr=1-1&keywords=composition+Kohs

Another idea would be just to take some very simple pieces and copy the form and style by changing the notes and progressions but otherwise following the patterns of the composition. This is a great exercise and you'll be certain to learn a great deal. Start out simple and expand from there.

In addition, you might consider getting a copy of Sibelius and the new Wallander NotePerformer as this combination will allow you extensive experimentation with various instruments.

And most of all, have fun.

Last edited by synergy543; 09/10/13 11:37 PM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
You know what?

I've come to love this place, and especially the composers forum for obvious reasons! I do NOT like such harsh and uninvited reactions to new members! Of course I'm a simple member as anyone here, but in all honesty if I was Saratoga I'd simply never come back.

Why would we want to turn away any new member is beyond me...

S
S
Originally Posted by Nikolas
Why would we want to turn away any new member is beyond me...

Yeah, I don't get it either.

[EDIT] But then...considering the post below, maybe the skeptics were right? Though, I don't mind answering in either case. Maybe the information will be of use to the next Beethoven should he come along.

So there Nikolas, ...You see? THAT's how another skeptic could be born (should I choose not to answer to the next new member).

Last edited by synergy543; 09/11/13 02:28 AM.
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by stalefleas
Personally I don't think it matters if the OP is a troll or not. Innocent until proven guilty, for one, and for two, it does not hurt to answer this question. Someone else might have the same or a similar question and could find this forum online and find some useful information as a result.

Just my two cents.

Perfect answer for me.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by stalefleas

Just my two cents.

Perfect answer for me.

I would bet that the majority of pianoworld members never post at all, or if they do it is only one time (the reason they joined) and they are finished - hence, Polyphonist, it is not a surprise if a poster has contributed only a handful of posts in the course of several years.

There are not any English grammar requirements here, saratogaUSA has posted very little over the years (a profoundly patient troll he would be!), and I find it hard to imagine how frustrating it might be to come here for help and then be accused of being a troll.

About composition books, though I've consulted certain titles on some things I haven't studied music/composition theory from books and am a bit of an oddball around here in this and some other ways. I believe it is best to learn directly from studying the scores of published music and doing it (the composing and notating) and that somehow this is combined with being a performer and being equipped to inwardly do/hear everything in any key - and to know fully what the tonal content is - and this combination allows one to successfully push through the composing and notating process.

Theory and composition books might be best for references in order to be able to communicate with words about the music ("what type of a cadence is that?", "what type of chord progression is that?", et cetera).

I would suggest starting off composing for the piano and only expanding or using other instrumentation if another palette definitely is needed. Surely when one knows all the ins-and-outs of playing an instrument and all the different types of touch and sonority then one can compose for it much more persuasively than for a different instrument - and probably performers will pick up on this (the piano compositions will be "pianistic").

That isn't what was asked for but I hope it helps!

M.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission