2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, clothearednincompo, bcalvanese, booms, 7 invisible), 1,957 guests, and 253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 234 of 370 1 2 232 233 234 235 236 369 370
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
So, Richard, when are we going to hear YOUR version of the Impromptu?

Thanks for all the music today, folks! Very relaxing and such a nice change from being at the ballpark and watching 4 games in a row! Now, I need some serious couch time....(dang, no piano for me today)

I don't care too much for money. For money can't buy me love.
-the Beatles

N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by piano joy

As an aside....it's rather funny, about 1:15 into it, he turns a page (music on top of the piano) without looking up AND he appears not to need the music at all. Why bother turning the page?

My guess is that he knows where he is vis-a-vis the sheet music so turns the page as insurance ... "just in case I get a mental blank at around bar xx".

Guitar since 1966. Piano (Kawai DP80) since 2011.

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Hi everyone! It was 2 weeks ago when I performed my piano solo at an Open Mic. I promised I would share a video of that performance with the folks here on RST.

Unfortunately, the phone video recording taken that evening was a disaster. The good news is that I had the piece videotaped on the same stage with the same piano. It was recorded with much higher quality recording equipment, and I've decided to present that instead.

I performed Rhapsody a few weeks ago at an Open Mic onstage. With the exception of me, the other artists were students who were performing Rap, and Spoken Word. Needless to say, I was not sure how well my 20th Century classical piano would go. It went well, and I got a standing ovation!

Feel free to share any constructive feedback on a thread I am creating elsewhere on ABF. Thanks, and I hope you enjoy it!

Carl

Silver Supporter until Jan 01 2013
500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
Marvellous, Griffin! And what a gorgeous piece!

I listened the first time without watching the vid - it felt like I was listening to BBC Radio 3. And I mean that in a good way!

I'm on my third listen...

Currently working on: F. Couperin - Preludes & Sweelinck - Fantasia Chromatica
J.S. Bach, Einaudi, Purcell, Froberger, Croft, Blow, Frescobaldi, Glass, Couperin
1930s upright (piano) & single manual William Foster (harpsichord)
[Linked Image]

500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
Griffin, what are the chords around 0:32-0:39 and 1:24 -1:31?

J.S. Bach, Einaudi, Purcell, Froberger, Croft, Blow, Frescobaldi, Glass, Couperin
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Griffin, congrats on your performance! It’s absolutely outstanding. It has a fantastic rhythm, and the dynamic is so well developed along the piece. All the sections are under control by a solid technique. It’s very expressive rendition on this beautiful music, I’ve loved it.

It’s has been a pleasure to watch and listen to your video, Griffin, thanks for sharing it. I’m looking forward to hear more recordings of yours.

Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
My goodness, Griffin, what a powerful performance!

<stands and applauds>

What a marvellous feeling it must be to resurrect a piece like that after so many years. One of the great advantages of learning a big piece or two early on is that no matter how long you leave the piano for, you can always come back strong using memorised technique.

You must be rightly proud of an achievement like that. Well done, very well done indeed!

Richard
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Griffin, dude! [Linked Image]

I'm impressed! Agree with all the above comments and I can only add you have some charisma at the piano. Too many boring pianists out there and you are NOT among them! Thanks for sharing, I know that took quite a bit of work !
Lovely to place a face with a name, too....

(p.s. don't think for one minute this will make me forget a piece or two of unCOOL music you've posted- ha ha!)

I don't care too much for money. For money can't buy me love.
-the Beatles

R
R
No more adjectives left for me frown
I just want to bow before you and take some dust from your feet as blessings, so that I may have a bit of your outstanding skills!!!

Thank you very very much for creating such a magnificent gift for us!

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
WOW!!! I can't thank you all enough for your kind words of support and congratulations. It means a great deal to me. Yes, this Rhapsody is very special to me in so many ways. As time permits, I will write more background notes about it on another thread I've created on ABF called, "My First Video Recording of "Rhapsody".

Eglantine, I will be able to answer your questions about the chord progressions after I get to my sheet music later today on the other thread.

Right now, however, I feel like celebrating! And this is Rostoskys Serious Thread where we get to share the music we enjoy with each other! I'd love to hear any music you all like to hear for any celebration today!

I'll get things started with something I always loved when I was first learning the Rhapsody. Fortunately for Piano Joy, I wasn't listening to Kool and the Gang in 1965! laugh Too bad, it's fun to gently tease her!

BTW, PJ, I just read your PM. Thanks, I truly appreciate the suggestion. I'll write back a bit later.

Without further delay, my celebratory post will not be classical. It is a classic, however. Here's Diana Ross and the Supremes!

Carl

Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
And another classic in celebratory style...

Starting with the chord that caused as much stir in the rock world as the Tristan chord did in Wagner's day, this is where The Beatles enter the Rock world (as distinct from Rock 'n' Roll or Pop) by adding the flattened seventh chord under the idiomatic lines 'working like a dog' and 'sleeping like a log'. They eventually went into Mixolydian melodies with Norwegian Wood but they kept the blues based flattened third here in the melody line.

The flattened seventh makes a novel cadence in the verse, which finishes with a nicely crafted plagal cadence before yet another unusual Beatles bridge, this time swooping into the mediant ('When I'm home...') before sneaking in an almost unnoticed standard I-vi-IV-V to close the bridge.

The finish is another surprise and is again on the flattened seventh using an added ninth on George's guitar riff.

The Beatles weren't the first to use a flattened seventh but they were the first to popularise it. Buddy Holly (a big McCartney influence) had used it in Well All Right (to which McCartney later bought the copyright).

Richard

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by zrtf90
And another classic in celebratory style...

Starting with the chord that caused as much stir in the rock world as the Tristan chord did in Wagner's day, this is where The Beatles enter the Rock world (as distinct from Rock 'n' Roll or Pop) by adding the flattened seventh chord under the idiomatic lines 'working like a dog' and 'sleeping like a log'. They eventually went into Mixolydian melodies with Norwegian Wood but they kept the blues based flattened third here in the melody line.

The flattened seventh makes a novel cadence in the verse, which finishes with a nicely crafted plagal cadence before yet another unusual Beatles bridge, this time swooping into the mediant ('When I'm home...') before sneaking in an almost unnoticed standard I-vi-IV-V to close the bridge.

The finish is another surprise and is again on the flattened seventh using an added ninth on George's guitar riff.

The Beatles weren't the first to use a flattened seventh but they were the first to popularise it. Buddy Holly (a big McCartney influence) had used it in Well All Right (to which McCartney later bought the copyright).

thumb This is about the same time I was just becoming acquainted with the Beatles in the good ole U.S.A. It was earlier that we were becoming aware of what is now referred to the Brittish invasion. It wasn't an invasion in my mind, however. It was some more music to listen to and enjoy and not! I enjoyed! Still do! Thanks!

Carl

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Sorry, I've only now just had a chance to listen. Griffin, that was absolutely beautiful! And without sheet music in front of you? Really, really wonderful playing!

Sandy

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Good afternoon!

Oooh I'm so behind in posts! cry So much reading to catch up!

Hows everyone been? I've been really silly busy but it's slowing down enough that I'm back!

Here's my pick for today!

Becca
Began: 01-12-11
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Two things:

First thing, Allthough Griffin did not wear a black and white concert pianists outfit, he nevertheless nailed the rhapsody, proving that dedication and hard work can overcome the lack of saville row suits. ( You had to guess I would make some sort of joke eh Griffin?) lol.

Second thing: I feel so proud and honoured to have you Griffin as a regular poster on RST and your dedication and skill shown for the love of music is so obvious for all to see, I feel certain many will be waiting with anticipation for your next piece to give us all pleasure, Excellent Griffin, well played, well executed,and thank you so much for hosting your performance here first... again many thanks.

Third thing: Becca can you show us the piccies of your bottom, so we can check they have done the operation correctly? You know we need this info, or you know we require it for our own guilty pleasures and secret vices?

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
LMAO..... hmmmm now where did that picture go?..

Becca
Began: 01-12-11
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
Impressive performance Griffin !

How about a little pepper to celebrate?

Last edited by KeysAngler; 04/16/12 06:22 PM.

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rostosky
Two things:

First thing, Allthough Griffin did not wear a black and white concert pianists outfit, he nevertheless nailed the rhapsody, proving that dedication and hard work can overcome the lack of saville row suits. ( You had to guess I would make some sort of joke eh Griffin?) lol.

Second thing: I feel so proud and honoured to have you Griffin as a regular poster on RST and your dedication and skill shown for the love of music is so obvious for all to see, I feel certain many will be waiting with anticipation for your next piece to give us all pleasure, Excellent Griffin, well played, well executed,and thank you so much for hosting your performance here first... again many thanks.

First Rossy, I would have been shocked and disappointed if you had not made a joke! laugh. You know I love you're sense of humor! More importantly, my sincerest thanks to you and everyone for your very kind words. As for RST, I so treasure being a part of it. It's where I feel most at home.

Thanks again. Love to everyone!

Last edited by griffin2417; 04/17/12 07:23 AM. Reason: Typo

Carl

V
V
Originally Posted by griffin2417
Hi everyone! It was 2 weeks ago when I performed my piano solo at an Open Mic. I promised I would share a video of that performance with the folks here on RST.

Unfortunately, the phone video recording taken that evening was a disaster. The good news is that I had the piece videotaped on the same stage with the same piano. It was recorded with much higher quality recording equipment, and I've decided to present that instead.

I performed Rhapsody a few weeks ago at an Open Mic onstage. With the exception of me, the other artists were students who were performing Rap, and Spoken Word. Needless to say, I was not sure how well my 20th Century classical piano would go. It went well, and I got a standing ovation!

Feel free to share any constructive feedback on a thread I am creating elsewhere on ABF. Thanks, and I hope you enjoy it!

I also want to thank you for sharing this. I love hearing new piano music like this. Beautifully played - listening to it a number of times now. It's one of the those pieces that can make a piano really sing.

I haven't ventured into this thread yet. Looks like I have been missing out on some great music. Wow...156 pages....how am i going to get any work done?

500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
Hey Richard, it's Gram that does the singing in his/Flying Burrito Brothers version (with backing from the band).

It's on 1970's Burrito Deluxe, and on various Gram Parsons anthologies (thus predating the Stones' version on Sticky Fingers).

[Linked Image]
Page 234 of 370 1 2 232 233 234 235 236 369 370

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission