Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
117 registered (A Guy, angga888, Anne H, ABC Vermonter, AndyP, 28 invisible), 1406 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2147992 - 09/11/13 01:54 AM Mechanical resurfacing felt hammer by Russian technician
Maximillyan Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: KZ
Mechanical resurfacing piano hammer by Russian technician Stas Cukanov (The city of Novokuznetsk, RF)
Stas wrote: "no regrets and I will gladly published my idea, in the hope that it will benefit our cause"
http://youtu.be/oEo3X1-K6M0
http://youtu.be/5PkqiBWugGY

(ad PTG 757) The Value of PTG Membership
The Value of a PTG Membership
#2147993 - 09/11/13 01:56 AM Re: Mechanical resurfacing felt hammer by Russian technician [Re: Maximillyan]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
Cute!

#2147998 - 09/11/13 02:11 AM Re: Mechanical resurfacing felt hammer by Russian technician [Re: BDB]
Maximillyan Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: BDB
Cute!

Hi,BDB
That's it. But I believe that will be cleaned ALL surface of a hammer use abrasive strip. But we must delete only a grooves. It will remove a layer of useful felt

#2148004 - 09/11/13 02:23 AM Re: Mechanical resurfacing felt hammer by Russian technician [Re: Maximillyan]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
How good a job it will do depends on how it is held, and how the hammer is held, among other things. I would expect that no matter how careful you are, some touching up will be necessary. It is not clear how to replace the sandpaper. I replace the sandpaper at least once when I sand a set of hammers.

#2148008 - 09/11/13 02:37 AM Re: Mechanical resurfacing felt hammer by Russian technician [Re: BDB]
Maximillyan Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: BDB
I would expect that no matter how careful you are, some touching up will be necessary. It is not clear how to replace the sandpaper. I replace the sandpaper at least once when I sand a set of hammers.

Sorry,BDB,I am not the author of the idea. The author has Stas from Novokuznetsk. He has a Russian patent on it and the two prototypes which we see on a video.
I agree with you that there may be very inconvenient for the use of it.
What we can touch?
With what force?
As will fixed hammer? etc

#2148085 - 09/11/13 08:31 AM Re: Mechanical resurfacing felt hammer by Russian technician [Re: Maximillyan]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I saw a few times techs are just sanding manually, without such a tool. What is the advantage of this tool? It might be to introduce more accuracy to the sanding, but has that actually been tested?

#2148097 - 09/11/13 09:12 AM Re: Mechanical resurfacing felt hammer by Russian technician [Re: wouter79]
Maximillyan Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: wouter79
I saw a few times techs are just sanding manually, without such a tool. What is the advantage of this tool? It might be to introduce more accuracy to the sanding, but has that actually been tested?

Manual processing of grinding (just sanding manually) is a classic. This applies to almost all technicians. Some work specially manufactured tools by manufacturers' piano. I for example try make use by women nail files.

http://youtu.be/pvlNgnhXVug
The inventor Stas has only two devices and probably does not yet have any statistics of what much better him "grater" or the factory hand tool equipment
I think that it is theoretically possible to have a number of advantages:
1 it's can make amateur man
2 layer is removed evenly
However, I caught myself thinking that if this were the case, then perhaps it would been already invented a long time ago professional technicans

#2148133 - 09/11/13 10:35 AM Re: Mechanical resurfacing felt hammer by Russian technician [Re: Maximillyan]
David, Las Vegas Offline

Loc: Las Vegas, Nevada
Many years ago at a NEECSO convention there was a member with a booth that had a similar sanding device attached to a electric knife like what would be used for meat carving but with the blades removed and the sanding reciprocating device in it's place. At the time I thought it to be a real time saving device ( i was a brand new member at time). After learning how to hand file hammers by a kind chapter member I have found I can use more control and care for each pass of the sanding paddle or strips to remove as little as possible and restore the best tone possible to the used part. The machine would bludgeon the shape at the crown and remove too much material. It might have looked good but I found it to be damaging.
1931 Mason Hamlin AA

#2148144 - 09/11/13 11:04 AM Re: Mechanical resurfacing felt hammer by Russian technician [Re: Maximillyan]
kpembrook Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan
Originally Posted By: Maximillyan
Mechanical resurfacing piano hammer by Russian technician Stas Cukanov (The city of Novokuznetsk, RF)
Stas wrote: "no regrets and I will gladly published my idea, in the hope that it will benefit our cause"

Unfortunately, the machine does not put the correct profile on the hammer. It grinds down the top surface at least as much as the sides and probably more. It should be the other way around.

The common mistake of beginners is to work on getting out the string marks. This makes the profile striking the string too flat. Instead the work should focus on creating the correct egg-shaped profile. This is done by applying pressure at the 3:00 and 9:00 positions on the hammer (when viewed from the side and the striking point = 12:00) and removing a layer of felt up to the striking point. When this is done properly, the string marks are automatically removed.

The concept is similar to the wooden Russian dolls that have another doll inside and another doll inside that . . . . etc. The goal is to get to the new hammer that is "inside" the existing hammer.

Ingenious machine but totally wrong concept.

#2148145 - 09/11/13 11:09 AM Re: Mechanical resurfacing felt hammer by Russian technician [Re: David, Las Vegas]
Maximillyan Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: David, Las Vegas
Many years ago at a NEECSO convention there was a member with a booth that had a similar sanding device attached to a electric knife like what would be used for meat carving but with the blades removed and the sanding reciprocating device in it's place. At the time I thought it to be a real time saving device ( i was a brand new member at time). After learning how to hand file hammers by a kind chapter member I have found I can use more control and care for each pass of the sanding paddle or strips to remove as little as possible and restore the best tone possible to the used part. The machine would bludgeon the shape at the crown and remove too much material. It might have looked good but I found it to be damaging.

David,can you place a link to this tool or photo?
The machine would bludgeon the shape at the crown and remove too much material. It might have looked good but I found it to be damaging.
I'm agree with you need make only handle job without a similar sanding

#2148151 - 09/11/13 11:25 AM Re: Mechanical resurfacing felt hammer by Russian technician [Re: David, Las Vegas]
bkw58 Offline

Silver Supporter until December 19, 2014

Loc: Conway, AR USA

Some have used a manual form of the Russian technique, also a time saver: a handheld strip of thin sandpaper in a rapid "shoe-shine" motion; it may not be as hard on the crowns as the various electric gizmos that have been tried, but the result is usually a disproportionate hammer. I suspect that the potential exists for the same problem with the Russian tool demonstrated in the video.

The best method is, unfortunately, the slow one: the sanding paddle or the similar method minus the paddle.

#2148566 - 09/12/13 02:06 AM Re: Mechanical resurfacing felt hammer by Russian technician [Re: Maximillyan]
David, Las Vegas Offline

Loc: Las Vegas, Nevada

The machine would bludgeon the shape at the crown and remove too much material. It might have looked good but I found it to be damaging.

Maximilllyan,
Sorry but it was almost 20 years ago when I attended my first convention. I never saw the machine used again by other technicians. I have no photo's of the tool and do not have a record of the inventor.
1931 Mason Hamlin AA

#2148618 - 09/12/13 07:11 AM Re: Mechanical resurfacing felt hammer by Russian technician [Re: Maximillyan]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
It is easy to cut thru shoulders that way. Still a time saver for some type of job.

To be finished free hand anyway.

#2148696 - 09/12/13 10:30 AM Re: Mechanical resurfacing felt hammer by Russian technician [Re: David, Las Vegas]
Maximillyan Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Maximilllyan,
Sorry but it was almost 20 years ago when I attended my first convention. I never saw the machine used again by other technicians. I have no photo's of the tool and do not have a record of the inventor.

thank,David. Very Sorry. Perhaps our technicians know something.

#2148700 - 09/12/13 10:34 AM Re: Mechanical resurfacing felt hammer by Russian technician [Re: Olek]
Maximillyan Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Olek
It is easy to cut thru shoulders that way. Still a time saver for some type of job. To be finished free hand anyway.

Hi, Isaac.Yes,but it should not hurt quality

#2148749 - 09/12/13 12:33 PM Re: Mechanical resurfacing felt hammer by Russian technician [Re: Maximillyan]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

+-... It is used for hammers that should be replaced but are thick yet, and piano have no budget.

I just made a small gig, and use it very occasionally.

The advantage is no dust, and speed.

For low price old pianos in some dealer shops.

#2148966 - 09/12/13 06:12 PM Re: Mechanical resurfacing felt hammer by Russian technician [Re: Maximillyan]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

The design is fun, but the job done is ridioculous, showing he have no idea what is hammer shaping intended for.

I like the move of the tool !

#2149028 - 09/12/13 08:26 PM Re: Mechanical resurfacing felt hammer by Russian technician [Re: Maximillyan]
Craig Hair Offline

Loc: Holyoke, MA
You have my vote for the gadget hall of fame.

hampshirepiano.co
soundboardrecrown.com

If I seem slow, I simply must be stopped

#2149035 - 09/12/13 08:45 PM Re: Mechanical resurfacing felt hammer by Russian technician [Re: Maximillyan]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
I much prefer the wooden action model. I await competition from WN&G.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2149123 - 09/13/13 12:09 AM Re: Mechanical resurfacing felt hammer by Russian technician [Re: Maximillyan]
bkw58 Offline

Silver Supporter until December 19, 2014

Loc: Conway, AR USA
My vote for the gadget hall of fame goes to Mellow Tones' Voice-o-matic. Magnetic backed needle strips. Position accordingly. Voice by playing the chromatic scale. whome wow

Edited by bkw58 (09/13/13 12:12 AM)

#2149177 - 09/13/13 02:36 AM Re: Mechanical resurfacing felt hammer by Russian technician [Re: Olek]
Maximillyan Offline
1000 Post Club Member

+-... It is used for hammers that should be replaced but are thick yet, and piano have no budget.

I just made a small gig, and use it very occasionally.

Have you such (russian tech.) tools ,Isaac?

#2149178 - 09/13/13 02:38 AM Re: Mechanical resurfacing felt hammer by Russian technician [Re: Craig Hair]
Maximillyan Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Craig Hair
You have my vote for the gadget hall of fame.

thanks,Craig Hair

#2149179 - 09/13/13 02:40 AM Re: Mechanical resurfacing felt hammer by Russian technician [Re: Minnesota Marty]
Maximillyan Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Minnesota Marty
I much prefer the wooden action model. I await competition from WN&G.

Hi,Marty.
What is thing "WN&G"?

#2149194 - 09/13/13 04:37 AM Re: Mechanical resurfacing felt hammer by Russian technician [Re: Maximillyan]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

I just made a small gig , and use it very occasionally.

No, it is a Demel tool with a cylindrical abrasive installed on a small table.

it is just to take out a lot of material, before workinf free hand.

I change the hammers if this is necessary so I do not have much use for it

#2149228 - 09/13/13 06:46 AM Re: Mechanical resurfacing felt hammer by Russian technician [Re: Olek]
Maximillyan Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I just made a small gig , and use it very occasionally.

No, it is a Demel tool with a cylindrical abrasive installed on a small table.

I was understood you, Isaac

#2149284 - 09/13/13 08:31 AM Re: Mechanical resurfacing felt hammer by Russian technician [Re: Maximillyan]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

#2149292 - 09/13/13 08:47 AM Re: Mechanical resurfacing felt hammer by Russian technician [Re: Maximillyan]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Hi Max,

I was just being humorous.

The first example had all of the look of a wood, hand-build, piano action part. Wessell, Nickel & Gross produces composite actions and parts. It just seemed fun to add to the debate of wood parts versus composite parts.

http://www.wessellnickelandgross.com/

In the early 20th century, WN&G was a very respected action builder. The rebirth of the company, as a composite action manufacturer, is a subsidiary of Mason & Hamlin.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2149295 - 09/13/13 08:52 AM Re: Mechanical resurfacing felt hammer by Russian technician [Re: Olek]
Maximillyan Offline
1000 Post Club Member

thank, Isaac, I'll give your link for Stas

#2149296 - 09/13/13 08:54 AM Re: Mechanical resurfacing felt hammer by Russian technician [Re: Minnesota Marty]
Maximillyan Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Minnesota Marty
Hi Max,

I was just being humorous.

The first example had all of the look of a wood, hand-build, piano action part. Wessell, Nickel & Gross produces composite actions and parts. It just seemed fun to add to the debate of wood parts versus composite parts.

http://www.wessellnickelandgross.com/

In the early 20th century, WN&G was a very respected action builder. The rebirth of the company, as a composite action manufacturer, is a subsidiary of Mason & Hamlin.

thank,Marty I was understood your JOKE!

#2149320 - 09/13/13 09:42 AM Re: Mechanical resurfacing felt hammer by Russian technician [Re: Maximillyan]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

thank, Isaac, I'll give your link for Stas

As you see it is just to clean an take out the part of tfelt that is less easy to file by hand.

It is very delicate to do that in any case.

Here the hammers are really thick - but that is a budget question generally. (while some very old felts are good I admit, a heat and a quality question)

That is when the German hammer makers realize that their own felts did not pass the time as well as 60-80 years old felts that they decided to make a study on the causes, in the 94's or so.

Edited by Olek (09/13/13 09:45 AM)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Bottom of hammer hitting top of damper on upright
by JoeThePro
12/21/14 10:09 PM
Getting better
by Kekewak
12/21/14 07:35 PM
Pearl River vs. Samick
by Zekk
12/21/14 03:41 PM
Kawai vs. Yamaha: what to choose
by SeeSharp
12/21/14 02:19 PM
Disklavier Pro Alternatives? C5X Value for money?
by bryan77
12/21/14 01:15 PM
Forum Stats
77391 Members
42 Forums
160047 Topics
2350317 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission