2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (bcalvanese, 20/20 Vision, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, crab89, AlkansBookcase, 12 invisible), 1,926 guests, and 274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Bex Offline OP
OP Offline
B
In your opinion, what are the least-played of Haydn's some 60 sonatas? I would like to focus on one of these lovely pieces that is not performed too often -- I really like the big E-flat, the C and D sonatas, but I find them a bit overplayed.

I have also been thinking of playing the e-minor sonata (Hoboken 34), which I love, but I am also wondering if that has not been a bit overplayed. What do you think?

On the piano stand:
Widmung
Partita in c minor
Jardins sous la pluie
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
E minor is played fairly often.

None of the early sonatas are played much, and a few others that come to mind are Hob. XVI:28 and 49.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
B
Bex Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Kreisler, thank you. I had a hunch the e-minor was played a lot -- it is too lovely to stay hidden. I'll take a look at 28 and 49.

On the piano stand:
Widmung
Partita in c minor
Jardins sous la pluie
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Out of the early sonatas, my 2 favorites are XVI/2 in B-flat, and XVI/13 in E major. Whenever my next solo program occurs, the E major will open it.

Piano instruction and performance
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
While it is sub-titled Sonata (in the Henle edition - and it is Hob.XVII not Hob.XVI), the Variations in F minor Hob.XVII:6 is, I guess, a fairly popular work although it's not one I have ever heard on a recital program. I will be playing it in a recital in January.

Do others consider it an often-played work?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
V
V
Originally Posted by BruceD
While it is sub-titled Sonata (in the Henle edition - and it is Hob.XVII not Hob.XVI), the Variations in F minor Hob.XVII:6 is, I guess, a fairly popular work although it's not one I have ever heard on a recital program. I will be playing it in a recital in January.

Regards,

I haven't heard it, but I've seen it mentioned here a few times. Also, there are quite many performances of the work on Youtube (listening to Larrocha playing it right now), so I guess it's fairly often played.

Sonata in C Hob XVI/21 looks really cool, though I haven't played it. I would like to, but I'll start working on a Beethoven sonata after my current Haydn one.

Working on

Chopin: op. 25 no. 11
Haydn: Sonata in in Eb Hob XVI/52
Schumann: Piano concerto 1st movement
Rachmaninoff: op. 39 no. 8

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BruceD

Regards,

I would say it is played fairly often. It is, along with the great Eflat sonata, his most popular keyboard work. The word, sonata, here, was penned by Haydn on the very first page of the autograph. Apparently, the variations were originally intended to constitute the first movement of a piano sonata. The idea was later scrapped when he left for England the second time. On the oldest surviving copy of the work that Haydn had made, we find the words, "Un piccolo Divertimento / Scritto e composto / per la / Stimatissima Signora / de / Ployer"
This was most likely Barbara Ployer, but it is not known if Haydn wrote the variations for her, or, if she commissioned the work. The words are, certainly, tongue in cheek as the work is neither small, nor a divertimento.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
g minor, Hob. 44

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Verbum mirabilis
(listening to Larrocha playing it right now)

Brilliant recording and my favorite of this work.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pogorelich.
g minor, Hob. 44

I agree, a lovely sonata. I would also add Sonata in D major, Hob.XVI:42.

Private Piano Teacher
MTNA/NJMTA/SJMTA
G
G
The reason that the early sonatas are not played much is because they demand a different sort of musicianship than one commonly finds these days.
On the surface, these are simple, even simplistic, piano pieces, and are ignored because of this. But what they are really, is a scaffold, a skeleton, for improvisation and elaboration. If you can't pull that sort of thing off, you will find the "easy" early sonatas impossible to do justice to. If you have the skill and chops for improvisation, they can provide a lifetime of pleasure, and never sound the same way twice.
Anyone who would sit and play, verbatim, what is on the page of the early Haydn sonatas, well, you better hope Franz Joseph isn't in the room listening. His wig would melt in disgust.

Very well stated! Also, for anyone interested in Haydn, I'd strongly suggest Jean-Efflam Bavouzet's recent recordings of the Haydn sonatas. He adds his own improvisations and ornaments to them - always tasteful, clever, and interesting. Easily some of the best Haydn currently available.

Originally Posted by geraldbrennan
The reason that the early sonatas are not played much is because they demand a different sort of musicianship than one commonly finds these days.
On the surface, these are simple, even simplistic, piano pieces, and are ignored because of this. But what they are really, is a scaffold, a skeleton, for improvisation and elaboration. If you can't pull that sort of thing off, you will find the "easy" early sonatas impossible to do justice to. If you have the skill and chops for improvisation, they can provide a lifetime of pleasure, and never sound the same way twice.
Anyone who would sit and play, verbatim, what is on the page of the early Haydn sonatas, well, you better hope Franz Joseph isn't in the room listening. His wig would melt in disgust.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
A-flat major, nr.46, one of my favourites, hardly heard in concert, like so many..

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
B
Bex Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions. I will give a listen to all of them. Also, my teacher suggested I learn the B-Flat Major, Hob. XVI/2. But he is also looking at others ...

On the piano stand:
Widmung
Partita in c minor
Jardins sous la pluie

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission