Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#2143599 - 09/03/13 07:12 PM Re: Chopin E major scherzo Opus 54 [Re: Kuanpiano]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Kuanpiano
The thirds, but I sort of suck at them. However think of the clarity you need: IMO, the coda of the ballade is sort of an apocalyptic climax where everything is falling apart - it's less of a sin to fudge the thirds while delivering that musical statement, than it is to screw up the thirds in the fourth scherzo.

The thirds in the scherzo are actually incredibly easy if you know the secret. Take the them with 14/23 instead of traditional thirds fingering.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2143602 - 09/03/13 07:15 PM Re: Chopin E major scherzo Opus 54 [Re: Polyphonist]
Kuanpiano Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Oh yeah I already know that laugh . They're the easiest part in that section I think!
Schubert - Drei Klavierstücke D. 946
Rachmaninoff - Piano Sonata op.28

#2143605 - 09/03/13 07:17 PM Re: Chopin E major scherzo Opus 54 [Re: JoelW]
Polyphonist Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: JoelW
The thirds, but I sort of suck at them. However think of the clarity you need: IMO, the coda of the ballade is sort of an apocalyptic climax where everything is falling apart - it's less of a sin to fudge the thirds while delivering that musical statement, than it is to screw up the thirds in the fourth scherzo.

The thirds in the scherzo are actually incredibly easy if you know the secret. Take the them with 14/23 instead of traditional thirds fingering.

What "traditional thirds fingering?" How could you possibly think of taking them with anything but 14/23?

Polyphonist

#2143608 - 09/03/13 07:20 PM Re: Chopin E major scherzo Opus 54 [Re: Polyphonist]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

25/13

#2143611 - 09/03/13 07:22 PM Re: Chopin E major scherzo Opus 54 [Re: Polyphonist]
2000 Post Club Member

Hahaa, but overall the point still stands: the 4th ballade is dramatic and can afford some mistakes to get the overall musical effect correct. However, with the Scherzo, hitting right notes is part of the musical effect - crystal clarity and breathtaking lightness.

#2143612 - 09/03/13 07:23 PM Re: Chopin E major scherzo Opus 54 [Re: Kuanpiano]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Hahaa, but overall the point still stands: the 4th ballade is dramatic and can afford some mistakes to get the overall musical effect correct. However, with the Scherzo, hitting right notes is part of the musical effect - crystal clarity and breathtaking lightness.

True. The ballade is a Pogorelich piece. laugh

#2143616 - 09/03/13 07:30 PM Re: Chopin E major scherzo Opus 54 [Re: JoelW]
Polyphonist Offline
6000 Post Club Member

No. Nothing is a Pogorelich piece.

Polyphonist

#2143617 - 09/03/13 07:31 PM Re: Chopin E major scherzo Opus 54 [Re: Polyphonist]
2000 Post Club Member

And ironically...I don't think he's recorded it! (or performed it).

I do like Bunin's rendition of the 4th Ballade. Zimmerman is good, but very clean... I forgot who else I liked, but I think that my own performance is a good reflection of what I like in the piece. It's ego, but if I didn't have anything to say then I wouldn't have learned it!

Edited by Kuanpiano (09/03/13 07:32 PM)

#2143618 - 09/03/13 07:31 PM Re: Chopin E major scherzo Opus 54 [Re: Polyphonist]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Polyphonist

In your insignificant opinion. wink

#2143619 - 09/03/13 07:31 PM Re: Chopin E major scherzo Opus 54 [Re: JoelW]
Polyphonist Offline
6000 Post Club Member

25/13

That sounds like a great way of making the thirds unecessarily difficult AND destroying the effect to boot.

Polyphonist

#2143621 - 09/03/13 07:33 PM Re: Chopin E major scherzo Opus 54 [Re: Kuanpiano]
Polyphonist Offline
6000 Post Club Member

I do like Bunin's rendition of the 4th Ballade. Zimmerman is good, but very clean... I forgot who else I liked, but I think that my own performance is a good reflection of what I like in the piece. It's ego, but if I didn't have anything to say then I wouldn't have learned it!

What do you think of Rubinstein, Richter, Ashkenazy, etc.? Personally, I think no rendition of this piece will ever satisfy me. No human being can fully understand it. It is not of this world.

Polyphonist

#2143622 - 09/03/13 07:34 PM Re: Chopin E major scherzo Opus 54 [Re: JoelW]
Polyphonist Offline
6000 Post Club Member

In your insignificant opinion. wink

In my insignificant opinion in your even more insignificant opinion.

Polyphonist

#2143623 - 09/03/13 07:35 PM Re: Chopin E major scherzo Opus 54 [Re: Kuanpiano]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

It's a shame if you ask me.

What I particularly like about Bunin's is that when the piece picks up, he really picks it up. You know, when it starts to get a little cooky in the right hand - cross rhythms between hands too. Most people dilly-dally through that I feel. Bunin really brings intensity to it by upping the tempo and keeping it loud. And he only gets more and more intense throughout the coda. His interpretation I feel is closest to what the music calls for.

#2143624 - 09/03/13 07:36 PM Re: Chopin E major scherzo Opus 54 [Re: Polyphonist]
2000 Post Club Member

@Poly:

I didn't listen to the piece as extensively as I did to the Liszt sonata. However, I remember being a bit turned off by Richter, but I enjoyed Rubinstein. Ashkenazy, I haven't listened to his performance. I should start listening to him more! It's that I'm put off from his Scriabin sonata recordings - his tone is brutal in those. I admire his recording of Rachmaninoff's second symphony so I don't doubt his musical credentials.

Edited by Kuanpiano (09/03/13 07:37 PM)

#2143628 - 09/03/13 07:41 PM Re: Chopin E major scherzo Opus 54 [Re: Kuanpiano]
Polyphonist Offline
6000 Post Club Member

@Poly:

I didn't listen to the piece as extensively as I did to the Liszt sonata. However, I remember being a bit turned off by Richter, but I enjoyed Rubinstein. Ashkenazy, I haven't listened to his performance. I should start listening to him more! It's that I'm put off from his Scriabin sonata recordings - his tone is brutal in those. I admire his recording of Rachmaninoff's second symphony so I don't doubt his musical credentials.

I think Rubinstein's coda steps over the barrier of how many notes you can miss and still retain all the music. Other than that, he is one of the best. Zimmerman's coda is perfect note-wise, but it is too sterile and doesn't get enough passion and drive. In fact, the coda is the place where most renditions fail, technically or musically.

Polyphonist

#2143629 - 09/03/13 07:43 PM Re: Chopin E major scherzo Opus 54 [Re: Polyphonist]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

@Poly:

I think Rubinstein's coda steps over the barrier of how many notes you can miss and still retain all the music. Other than that, he is one of the best. Zimmerman's coda is perfect note-wise, but it is too sterile and doesn't get enough passion and drive. In fact, the coda is the place where most renditions fail, technically or musically.

Perfectly said, Poly. It's hard to think something so divine came from a human. I know nobody agrees, but I think Chopin had the greatest musical mind out of them all. The quality of his output is so consistent it's astonishing - rivaling Bach and Mozart in my opinion. The only reason why Chopin wins is because I find his music to be the most moving. All of this being just my [insignificant] opinion. smile

If you want drive and pristine accuracy, watch Bunin's. If you haven't already, you might be in for a treat.

#2143637 - 09/03/13 08:04 PM Re: Chopin E major scherzo Opus 54 [Re: Kuanpiano]
Mark_C Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
....the primary difficulties in the 4th ballade are musical, not so much technical. And most of the sections aren't all that bad technically (though Mark_C will certainly disagree with me!)

....and I wouldn't be the only one. grin

Your view is an extreme minority view. It might be close to a minority of 1.

And in fact, part of the quite great technical challenge is this thing you said, but for whatever reason you're not counting it a whole lot:

Quote:
The thirds, but I sort of suck at them.

It does not cease to amaze me how a lot of people say that 'whatever' piece "isn't that hard" -- even though there are parts of it that give them a lot of trouble.

My 'favorite' example of that is Chopin's F minor Fantaisie.

#2143639 - 09/03/13 08:05 PM Re: Chopin E major scherzo Opus 54 [Re: JoelW]
Polyphonist Offline
6000 Post Club Member

...I think Chopin had the greatest musical mind out of them all.

He was up there, certainly - close behind Bach and Beethoven in my opinion, and this Ballade and his Opus 58 Sonata are some of the greatest works ever written, in any genre. However, I think a VERY few compositions do come closer to the divine, such as Beethoven's late string quartets or his last piano sonatas. Only a very few. smile

Polyphonist

#2143641 - 09/03/13 08:08 PM Re: Chopin E major scherzo Opus 54 [Re: Mark_C]
Polyphonist Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Mark_C
....the primary difficulties in the 4th ballade are musical, not so much technical. And most of the sections aren't all that bad technically (though Mark_C will certainly disagree with me!)

I think the point he's trying to bring across is that its musical difficulties (one might say impossibilities!) far surpass its technical ones, although I fail to see how anyone could consider even just the notes of the coda "not all that bad." Maybe Kuan is cheating on the inner voices, and in bars 223-226. grin

Polyphonist

#2143644 - 09/03/13 08:10 PM Re: Chopin E major scherzo Opus 54 [Re: Polyphonist]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

The A major prelude is the hardest piece ever written. laugh

#2143647 - 09/03/13 08:13 PM Re: Chopin E major scherzo Opus 54 [Re: JoelW]
Polyphonist Offline
6000 Post Club Member

No, that would be Schumann's Opus 15 No 7. laugh

Polyphonist

#2143650 - 09/03/13 08:19 PM Re: Chopin E major scherzo Opus 54 [Re: Polyphonist]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

No, that would be Schumann's Opus 15 No 7. laugh

Speaking of this piece, I used to hate it. I thought it was cheesy. Not anymore though. The ending totally makes the piece for me.

#2143651 - 09/03/13 08:22 PM Re: Chopin E major scherzo Opus 54 [Re: Polyphonist]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

...I think Chopin had the greatest musical mind out of them all.

He was up there, certainly - close behind Bach and Beethoven in my opinion, and this Ballade and his Opus 58 Sonata are some of the greatest works ever written, in any genre. However, I think a VERY few compositions do come closer to the divine, such as Beethoven's late string quartets or his last piano sonatas. Only a very few. smile

Nobody could write anything so beautiful yet so simple as the prelude-like opening to the fourth ballade. How the heck did he create that melody?! It blows me away.

#2143704 - 09/03/13 10:35 PM Re: Chopin E major scherzo Opus 54 [Re: Mark_C]
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Mark_C

And in fact, part of the quite great technical challenge is this thing you said, but for whatever reason you're not counting it a whole lot:

Quote:
The thirds, but I sort of suck at them.

It does not cease to amaze me how a lot of people say that 'whatever' piece "isn't that hard" -- even though there are parts of it that give them a lot of trouble.

My 'favorite' example of that is Chopin's F minor Fantaisie.

We will have to respectfully disagree laugh

As for my comment about my bad thirds - well, that's why I said they were hard!

As per Poly's comment, well I meant the entire coda was hard, but the thirds especially so. I don't think I faked the section that you referenced, but the octaves are much easier than the rising figures. Rushing is an issue (with all of my playing....sigh) with the entire coda.

And I don't think that I'm an extreme minority view. If anything the minority is 2; stores agrees with me. (well, at least he did last time we were arguing about this).

#2143705 - 09/03/13 10:38 PM Re: Chopin E major scherzo Opus 54 [Re: Polyphonist]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

What exactly is the argument here?

#2143713 - 09/03/13 10:47 PM Re: Chopin E major scherzo Opus 54 [Re: JoelW]
Mark_C Offline

What exactly is the argument here?

Well, it might not be totally clear. smile

As I saw it, what Kuan was saying (essentially) was that the 4th Ballade 'isn't that hard technically.'

Which, as I said (more gently than this), is completely absurd.

BUT, he has "deniability" on it. ha
Because, he didn't 'really' say that. He said the difficulties are more musical than technical, and "most of the sections aren't all that bad technically."

If we look at those things narrowly, arguably he's right.

But I wasn't looking at it narrowly; I was trying to look at it meaningfully. ha

Like, how is it meaningful, if we think we're saying something of any interest and importance, to really only mean that "most of the sections" of the piece aren't that hard technically, if some of them are extremely hard? Why is that worth saying if you only mean it narrowly?

(Kuan, take it!) grin

#2143714 - 09/03/13 10:47 PM Re: Chopin E major scherzo Opus 54 [Re: Polyphonist]
2000 Post Club Member

He things I'm under-appreciating the technical difficulty of the 4th Ballade.

Back to the OP, the 4th scherzo is (no questions here), extraordinarily difficult!

#2143716 - 09/03/13 10:49 PM Re: Chopin E major scherzo Opus 54 [Re: Kuanpiano]
Mark_C Offline

He thinks I'm under-appreciating the technical difficulty of the 4th Ballade.

Exactly.

Quote:
Back to the OP, the 4th scherzo is (no questions here), extraordinarily difficult!

Exactly. smile

#2143717 - 09/03/13 10:50 PM Re: Chopin E major scherzo Opus 54 [Re: Polyphonist]
2000 Post Club Member

@Mark - let me try for tomorrow....waking up at 6am is difficult for somebody like me!

#2143719 - 09/03/13 10:51 PM Re: Chopin E major scherzo Opus 54 [Re: Kuanpiano]
Mark_C Offline

@Mark - let me try for tomorrow....waking up at 6am is difficult for somebody like me!

Actually I think we're pretty done! smile

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
90 registered (ando, anotherscott, 36251, Al LaPorte, Atrys, 24 invisible), 1194 Guests and 52 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74198 Members
42 Forums
153494 Topics
2249234 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Tips for playing a piece through
by Hemmingway
04/16/14 06:40 AM
Temperature and tuning
by Beemer
04/16/14 04:46 AM
Tired Fingers
by adanepst
04/16/14 01:45 AM
Bechstein 7
by PhilipInChina
04/16/14 01:07 AM
Premier Piano of New York
by FenderJazzMan
04/15/14 11:58 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission