Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#2143720 - 09/03/13 10:52 PM Re: Chopin E major scherzo Opus 54 [Re: Mark_C]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Mark_C
Originally Posted By: JoelW
What exactly is the argument here?

Well, it might not be totally clear. smile

As I saw it, what Kuan was saying (essentially) was that the 4th Ballade 'isn't that hard technically.'

Which, as I said (more gently than this), is completely absurd.

BUT, he has "deniability" on it. ha
Because, he didn't 'really' say that. He said the difficulties are more musical than technical, and "most of the sections aren't all that bad technically."

If we look at those things narrowly, arguably he's right.

But I wasn't looking at it narrowly; I was trying to look at it meaningfully. ha

Like, how is it meaningful, if we think we're saying something of any interest and importance, to really only mean that "most of the sections" of the piece aren't that hard technically, if some of them are extremely hard? Why is that worth saying if you only mean it narrowly?

(Kuan, take it!) grin

My two cents:

I'm sick of people comparing technical and musical difficulty as if they're mutually exclusive. They're not. They're intertwined. Any chump can play the coda to the ballade and make it sound bad. It's playing it musically well that makes the technical challenges hard. Technical difficulty and musical difficulty go hand in hand.

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2143725 - 09/03/13 10:55 PM Re: Chopin E major scherzo Opus 54 [Re: JoelW]
Mark_C Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
....Any chump can play the coda to the ballade and make it sound bad.....

Well, not really. Most people (who play the piano) can't even play the notes -- including even most people who are reasonably advanced.

#2143727 - 09/03/13 10:57 PM Re: Chopin E major scherzo Opus 54 [Re: Polyphonist]
Kuanpiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Ehh, I think my primary argument for saying that it's meaningful knowing that there's only one ridiculously difficult part of the piece is that you don't have to practice as many fiddly bits, and more of the piece (by more, I mean musically, not the notes) is learned thinking and taking time to understand the work.

Does it matter in performance if 10% of the piece is impossible as opposed to 80% of it? Not really, if you've already prepared it and are ready to play it.

But if you're learning it...well it might be possible to get it going more quickly if there are only a few bits that are technically difficult. The fingers don't need time to learn the rest.

Other example: that nocturne. You know that there's one bar that's a devil, and once you learn it, you can do the rest of the piece relatively easily. You can spend time thinking about the music, as opposed to thinking about the notes.
Franck - Violin Sonata

#2143729 - 09/03/13 10:59 PM Re: Chopin E major scherzo Opus 54 [Re: Mark_C]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

....Any chump can play the coda to the ballade and make it sound bad.....

Well, not really. Most people (who play the piano) can't even play the notes -- including even most people who are reasonably advanced.

You're implying that they're trying to make it sound good. If a reasonably accomplished pianist takes a stab at the coda without any intention of making it sound good, the notes won't be that hard to hit because 1) the tempo will be down 2) it will be sloppy 3) there will be no attention to musical detail.

It's the process of making those notes sound as best as possible that makes them hard to hit. Really, go try it. Go slap out scherzo 4 without any serious intent. It will sound awful, but it won't be hard.. then try to play it as best as you can. That's when it becomes hard.

#2143730 - 09/03/13 11:00 PM Re: Chopin E major scherzo Opus 54 [Re: Polyphonist]
Kuanpiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
@Joel - my last post of the night, but in some ways they can be separated. Think of something abstract like managing climaxes: your fingers aren't going to help you make the coda of the ballade seem inevitable and terrible. It's how you play the other 10 pages leading up to it, in a thoughtful manner, that will make the coda that much more musically effective. Playing the the coda in a tremendously technically proficient and musical way doesn't mean much if the rest of the piece didn't bring you to that point.
Franck - Violin Sonata

#2143732 - 09/03/13 11:02 PM Re: Chopin E major scherzo Opus 54 [Re: JoelW]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there
What exactly is the argument here?

Well, it might not be totally clear. smile

As I saw it, what Kuan was saying (essentially) was that the 4th Ballade 'isn't that hard technically.'

Which, as I said (more gently than this), is completely absurd.

BUT, he has "deniability" on it. ha
Because, he didn't 'really' say that. He said the difficulties are more musical than technical, and "most of the sections aren't all that bad technically."

If we look at those things narrowly, arguably he's right.

But I wasn't looking at it narrowly; I was trying to look at it meaningfully. ha

Like, how is it meaningful, if we think we're saying something of any interest and importance, to really only mean that "most of the sections" of the piece aren't that hard technically, if some of them are extremely hard? Why is that worth saying if you only mean it narrowly?

(Kuan, take it!) grin

My two cents:

I'm sick of people comparing technical and musical difficulty as if they're mutually exclusive. They're not. They're intertwined. Any chump can play the coda to the ballade and make it sound bad. It's playing it musically well that makes the technical challenges hard. Technical difficulty and musical difficulty go hand in hand.

Technical and musical difficulties do NOT go hand in hand. You'll come to learn that with more experience. I'm safe in saying that, because any musician WITH a good bit of experience will tell you that they are not intertwined.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#2143734 - 09/03/13 11:03 PM Re: Chopin E major scherzo Opus 54 [Re: stores]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: stores

Technical and musical difficulties do NOT go hand in hand. You'll come to learn that with more experience. I'm safe in saying that, because any musician WITH a good bit of experience will tell you that they are not intertwined.

The above is a statement with no factual arguments.

You are wrong, stores. At least, in a way. When I say they are intertwined, I mean this:

A passage becomes physically harder the more you attempt to make it sound better. If the musical difficulty is to play fast and loud, that is also the technical difficulty. Not just fast and loud though. Minute control is very difficult technically. If a run calls for quick, fleeting phrasing, and the pianist cannot deliver, s/he will likely resort to using a rubato to compensate for lacking technique. (this is very common in scherzo 4) Therefore, the musical challenge of that phrase is intertwined with the technical challenge.

See?

Edited by JoelW (09/03/13 11:17 PM)

#2143735 - 09/03/13 11:05 PM Re: Chopin E major scherzo Opus 54 [Re: Kuanpiano]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: Kuanpiano
Ehh, I think my primary argument for saying that it's meaningful knowing that there's only one ridiculously difficult part of the piece....

You just lost your deniability. ha

The coda is absolutely NOT the only ridiculously difficult part of the piece (even speaking just technically).

And sorry, but I won't be too interested in itemizing the various others. I'll just let this stand as is. Whoever gets it does, whoever doesn't doesn't. smile

You are wrong stores. At least, in a way. When I say they are intertwined, I mean this:

A passage becomes physically harder the more you attempt to make it sound better. Pristine phrasing is a technical challenge in itself.

You are right.
At best, it's arrogant semantics.
At worst, it's.......well, let's just say worse. grin

#2143745 - 09/03/13 11:23 PM Re: Chopin E major scherzo Opus 54 [Re: Mark_C]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:

The coda is absolutely NOT the only ridiculously difficult part of the piece (even speaking just technically).

And sorry, but I won't be too interested in itemizing the various others. I'll just let this stand as is. Whoever gets it does, whoever doesn't doesn't. smile

Where does the coda actually start? When the right hand goes cooky or after the soft chords?

#2143746 - 09/03/13 11:24 PM Re: Chopin E major scherzo Opus 54 [Re: JoelW]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
[quote=Mark_C]

Where does the coda actually start? After the soft chords?

Yes, I don't see how one could consider it to start anywhere else.

Polyphonist

#2143747 - 09/03/13 11:25 PM Re: Chopin E major scherzo Opus 54 [Re: Polyphonist]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
Well now I'm confused. Looking at Hakki's earlier post of this Liszt TE
I just don't see how musical and technical difficulties are NOT going hand in hand here... at least if you wish to observe Liszt's careful dynamic markings.

#2143749 - 09/03/13 11:26 PM Re: Chopin E major scherzo Opus 54 [Re: Polyphonist]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Polyphonist
[quote=Mark_C]

Lol yeah.. scratch that. I don't know what I was thinking. In that case, Mark is absolutely right. When the main theme is revisited, introducing a cooky right hand and the cross-rhythms, it is VERY hard to play that the right way. Not to mention the euphoric part that follows (with the scales in the left hand). The entire piece from the "cooky right hand" segment onward is just demonically hard.

Edited by JoelW (09/03/13 11:34 PM)

#2143750 - 09/03/13 11:27 PM Re: Chopin E major scherzo Opus 54 [Re: JoelW]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

[quote=Mark_C]

Yeah lol scratch that I don't know what I was thinking.

I suppose one could say that the entire piece is the coda. whome

Polyphonist

#2143754 - 09/03/13 11:34 PM Re: Chopin E major scherzo Opus 54 [Re: Polyphonist]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

By the way, now that we're on the subject, near the end of the first movement of Rachmaninoff's D minor sonata, there is a passage that closely resembles (and was clearly inspired by) bars 195 - 200 of the Ballade. And it has the same climactic feeling to it, and is at the same point in the emotional arc of the piece. And the meter is similar as well.

Polyphonist

#2143756 - 09/03/13 11:36 PM Re: Chopin E major scherzo Opus 54 [Re: Polyphonist]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

By the way, now that we're on the subject, near the end of the first movement of Rachmaninoff's D minor sonata, there is a passage that closely resembles (and was clearly inspired by) bars 195 - 200 of the Ballade. And it has the same climactic feeling to it, and is at the same point in the emotional arc of the piece.

I am only familiar with the second sonata. How does the first compare?

#2143759 - 09/03/13 11:38 PM Re: Chopin E major scherzo Opus 54 [Re: JoelW]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

By the way, now that we're on the subject, near the end of the first movement of Rachmaninoff's D minor sonata, there is a passage that closely resembles (and was clearly inspired by) bars 195 - 200 of the Ballade. And it has the same climactic feeling to it, and is at the same point in the emotional arc of the piece.

How about you listen to it, and judge for yourself? It's heresy not to have heard it, in any case. grin

It truly is an amazing work, and vastly underplayed and underappreciated compared to the second.

Polyphonist

#2143763 - 09/03/13 11:40 PM Re: Chopin E major scherzo Opus 54 [Re: Polyphonist]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

How about you listen to it, and judge for yourself? It's heresy not to have heard it, in any case. grin

It truly is an amazing work, and vastly underplayed and underappreciated compared to the second.

Well of course I will, right now! Just thought I'd ask.

#2143764 - 09/03/13 11:41 PM Re: Chopin E major scherzo Opus 54 [Re: JoelW]
Mark_C Offline

....In that case, Mark is absolutely right....

Thanks, but actually Mark was absolutely right even before you got that clarified. ha

There are very difficult technical parts even before that.

#2143765 - 09/03/13 11:45 PM Re: Chopin E major scherzo Opus 54 [Re: Mark_C]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

....In that case, Mark is absolutely right....

Thanks, but actually Mark was absolutely right even before you got that clarified. ha

There are very difficult technical parts even before that.

As early as measure 58 the piece becomes very difficult, especially if you have any ambition to play it well. ha
Bringing out the inner voices there satisfactorily while retaining the melody is a huge task.

Anyone who thinks this piece is anything short of extraordinarily difficult is playing it badly, period. I'm sure Zimmerman, Bunin, and Rubinstein would not presume to contradict me here.

Polyphonist

#2143766 - 09/03/13 11:48 PM Re: Chopin E major scherzo Opus 54 [Re: Polyphonist]
Mark_C Offline

As early as measure 58 the piece becomes very difficult, especially if you have any ambition to play it well. ha
Bringing out the inner voices there satisfactorily while retaining the melody is a huge task.

....and that's a great example of why Joel was right about what Stores said, and why Stores was wrong about what Stores said. grin

(Especially putting it as he did.)

#2143767 - 09/03/13 11:50 PM Re: Chopin E major scherzo Opus 54 [Re: Mark_C]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

....and that's a great example of why Joel was right about what Stores said, and why Stores was wrong about what Stores said. grin

(Especially putting it as he did.)

Just a minute - I never said anything about what stores said.

Polyphonist

#2143769 - 09/03/13 11:51 PM Re: Chopin E major scherzo Opus 54 [Re: Polyphonist]
Mark_C Offline

Sometimes we know not what we say. ha

#2143772 - 09/03/13 11:54 PM Re: Chopin E major scherzo Opus 54 [Re: Mark_C]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Sometimes we know not what we say. ha

Point out to me where I said anything about that issue.

Polyphonist

#2143775 - 09/03/13 11:57 PM Re: Chopin E major scherzo Opus 54 [Re: Polyphonist]
Mark_C Offline

That things of yours that I quoted in that post!

If you don't get it, maybe you're misunderstanding what we're referring to.

And if you still won't, this is also something I won't be particularly interested in saying more about.

(If you're really interested, just follow back the last few posts between me and Joel. It won't be hard to see.)

#2143776 - 09/04/13 12:01 AM Re: Chopin E major scherzo Opus 54 [Re: Mark_C]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

That things of yours that I quoted in that post!

If you don't get it, maybe you're misunderstanding what we're referring to.

And if you still won't, this is also something I won't be particularly interested in saying more about.

(If you're really interested, just follow back the last few posts between me and Joel. It won't be hard to see.)

Well, it doesn't seem very polite to hint that you disagree with me, and won't tell me what it is you disagree with.

Polyphonist

#2143778 - 09/04/13 12:03 AM Re: Chopin E major scherzo Opus 54 [Re: Polyphonist]
Mark_C Offline

Yikes!

I AGREED with you!

#2143780 - 09/04/13 12:05 AM Re: Chopin E major scherzo Opus 54 [Re: Mark_C]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Yikes!

I AGREED with you!

Well, it seems like what you said once is true, Mark. "Misunderstandings lead to more misunderstandings." grin

Polyphonist

#2143783 - 09/04/13 12:08 AM Re: Chopin E major scherzo Opus 54 [Re: Polyphonist]
Mark_C Offline

Well, it seems like what you said once is true, Mark. "Misunderstandings lead to more misunderstandings." grin

Yeah. Actually the quote was "Many misunderstandings come about from misunderstandings."

(right here)

But I'm glad for it to be remembered, even wrong. ha

#2143784 - 09/04/13 12:08 AM Re: Chopin E major scherzo Opus 54 [Re: Mark_C]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Yeah. Actually the quote was "Many misunderstandings come about from misunderstandings."

(right here)

But I'm glad for it to be remembered, even wrong. ha

grin

Polyphonist

#2143848 - 09/04/13 04:28 AM Re: Chopin E major scherzo Opus 54 [Re: JoelW]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there

You are wrong, stores. At least, in a way. When I say they are intertwined, I mean this:

A passage becomes physically harder the more you attempt to make it sound better. If the musical difficulty is to play fast and loud, that is also the technical difficulty. Not just fast and loud though. Minute control is very difficult technically. If a run calls for quick, fleeting phrasing, and the pianist cannot deliver, s/he will likely resort to using a rubato to compensate for lacking technique. (this is very common in scherzo 4) Therefore, the musical challenge of that phrase is intertwined with the technical challenge.

See?

No, I'm not wrong. Do you even play the piano? I know Mark agreed with you, but that means nothing. He would agree with Satan, to disagree with me.
Whether you realise it, or not, what you wrote above pretty much proves my point.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
154 registered (89grand, accordeur, 36251, AEMontoya, 50 invisible), 1243 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75963 Members
42 Forums
157097 Topics
2307149 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
The Mooozart Effect
by Rich Galassini
Today at 06:13 PM
What would you do in this situation?
by CountSmith
Today at 05:55 PM
An aural and visual demonstration of the Skeleton.
by Mark Cerisano, RPT
Today at 05:09 PM
tunelab update
by michaelopolis
Today at 04:40 PM
Who makes ribbon moulding?
by Craig Hair
Today at 03:25 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission