Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 58 of 65 < 1 2 ... 56 57 58 59 60 ... 64 65 >
Topic Options
#2173163 - 10/28/13 12:06 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: NancyM333]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
I was pretty sure it was a typo, as "Two Trees" is way too beautiful to contain such a jarring dissonance. Thanks for confirming that for us, Carlos. thumb

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2173176 - 10/28/13 12:33 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: Monica K.]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisbon, Portugal
Originally Posted By: Monica K.
I was pretty sure it was a typo, as "Two Trees" is way too beautiful to contain such a jarring dissonance. Thanks for confirming that for us, Carlos. thumb

You're welcome thumb
The true is that when I started to play "Two Trees" I was playing that passage by ear and it sounded fine to me - it seemed so logical -. When I checked the score I noticed the difference, so I decided to investigate in detail what was wrong.

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

Self-taught since 12/2009
Don't play what's there, play what's not there.

#2173547 - 10/29/13 05:56 AM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: NancyM333]
Jessiebear Offline

Loc: New Zealand
So much better, Carlos!

On another note (haha), I now stick the microphone IN the piano and get the best sound yet!

I'm also in love with the violin solo in Orbits. It is hauntingly beautiful. Daniel Hope makes it sing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6W8gi6x-UA

Wish I had a friend who played violin, oh the fun we could have!

#2173660 - 10/29/13 10:33 AM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: NancyM333]
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: not in Japan anymore
Jessiebear, I know what you mean about wanting a few string players in your circle of friends! I have totally fallen in love with "The Earth Prelude," and although I am enjoying playing it as a solo piece, the original with cello and violin is so much more beautiful.

I'm still working on Oltremare... I keep wondering if I should let it fall out of my fingers and come back to it in a few months. Partly that's because I'm working on several pieces at once and in November I'll start adding some Christmas pieces.

Also, I've done that (let the piece fall away and come back to it) with several pieces in the past, and they always shape up faster and easier the second time around. Also I find that if the piece has a more demanding tempo, it's easier for me to get to that tempo after I've stopped playing it for awhile, because when I pick it up again, I start at a faster tempo and somehow I don't have the slower tempo ingrained anymore.

But I'm not quite ready to put Oltremare away just yet. Right now I'm working on pages 1 through 6 (so that's half the piece right there!) And I can play the 3 against 2 section on page 4 at about 100 to 110, which is actually pretty good since the MM marking is 120. reading what I just wrote makes me think I should definitely keep working on.... it's just that it's so long! And I want to start Nefeli! whome

We'll see, I'll keep working on it this week anyway. smile

#2173713 - 10/29/13 12:10 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: NancyM333]
Monica K. Offline

Nefeli will be a breeze after you conquer Oltremare, Shiro. smile

#2173973 - 10/29/13 07:59 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: NancyM333]
Anne H Offline

I'm almost done with Reverie (I've been on a Nightbook kick lately), but I'm having trouble getting that echoy effect in the left hand that other people seem to get. Any tips? I'm using a really light touch and it's still not quite right.
Bach Inventions
Einaudi - Berlin Song, Reverie

#2173981 - 10/29/13 08:07 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: NancyM333]
Monica K. Offline

Anne, I dabbled with Reverie, too, a bit and had the same problem getting the echoey reverb. I think maybe it's because I was playing an acoustic? This seems like one piece where it would be easier to get the desired effect with a digital.

p.s. How is your Carol of the Bells coming along? I love that arrangement, but it's so hard... not sure I'm willing to put the time into it I'd need to in order to master it.

#2174008 - 10/29/13 08:54 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: NancyM333]
Jessiebear Offline

Oh I might have to have a look at Reverie smile
eta: yes I agree with Monika, that is hard to replicate with an acoustic.

I finally got a recording of Oltremare I'm happy with, albeight a couple of obligatory slips. And sometimes the mic doesn't pick up the end of some long notes.

But I'm happy with that for 12 minutes of continuous playing!

What do you think? https://app.box.com/s/6tq6j3iojzoz0w0vlk5x

Edited by Jessiebear (10/29/13 09:04 PM)
Edit Reason: added more

#2174035 - 10/29/13 10:13 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: NancyM333]
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Jessiebear,congrats on recording Oltremare!! Great job!! And you've given me courage to keep at it a little longer with this piece.

Monica, thanks for the vote of confidence! I hope you're right, because my current plan (which keeps changing!) is to start Nefeli during the holidays when I'll be away from piano lessons.

On the topic of digital pianos.... I remember someone else mentioned something about Einaudi being better on digitals. I guess that might be right for some pieces (and I haven't ever tried Reverie), but I have to say, I miss having an acoustic even more when I'm working on Einaudi. A good example is La Linea Sicura, because it just doesn't sing on a digital the way it does on an acoustic. I have the opportunity to play a grand on campus periodically, and the difference is just massive.

Annie, yes please share how Carol of the Bells is coming. I am pretty sure I couldn't master that even if I devote all my practice time to it, it's just too fast. Do you sit farther to the right when you play it?

Monica, I don't know if you've heard Michele McLaughlin's arrangement of the Carol of the Bells, but I'm working on it right now and I love it. And it's very manageable.

I have also toyed with the idea of playing TSO's Christmas Eve (which has a lot of Carol of the Bells in it) but the main tempo is MM=184 or something like that! So yeah, not any time soon!

#2174043 - 10/29/13 10:28 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: ShiroKuro]
Anne H Offline

Quote:
Annie, yes please share how Carol of the Bells is coming. I am pretty sure I couldn't master that even if I devote all my practice time to it, it's just too fast. Do you sit farther to the right when you play it?

Quote:
p.s. How is your Carol of the Bells coming along? I love that arrangement, but it's so hard... not sure I'm willing to put the time into it I'd need to in order to master it.

I love you all. You're like a giant piano support group! Carol of the Bells is playable slowly to medium slowly the whole way through without any mistakes, but definitely is nowhere up to speed yet. At least it was before work torpedoed a month of practice - I haven't done much except listen to recordings around here, play for five minutes a day and stare longingly at my piano. I wanted to do this recital but I just won't make it. My goal was to get it ready for the December holidays, so I'm not totally sunk yet. And yes, I do sit more to the right for it! I'd never thought of that before.

Quote:
Anne, I dabbled with Reverie, too, a bit and had the same problem getting the echoey reverb. I think maybe it's because I was playing an acoustic? This seems like one piece where it would be easier to get the desired effect with a digital.

I'm on an acoustic, so this makes me feel much better. I consider you the Einaudi master, Monica, so if you can't do it then I won't sweat it!
Bach Inventions

#2174163 - 10/30/13 05:08 AM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: NancyM333]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I can fine tune my digital to get different sounds and piano responses. Things like resonance, echo, touch, keys strength, etc are usually tuned according to the piece, with good results.
But yes, an acoustic is an acoustic. Unfortunately I can't have one.

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

#2174738 - 10/31/13 10:06 AM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: NancyM333]
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Argh! I am such a flip-flopper! I've pretty much decided I am going to stop working on Oltremare for the time being. I played the first few pages of Nefeli again yesterday and I really want to get it into my fingers. And I'm putting a bunch of Christmas music into my practice menu, which I don't think I could do if I continue to work on Oltremare, in all its 12 pages of glory. But in my defense I think I've worked up the most difficult parts of Oltremare (in particular the triplets against quarter notes section), so when I'm ready to come back to it (perhaps in January, after I put the Christmas music away) I think it will come together quickly.

So here is what's on my "in-progress" practice menu for November, first the new pieces:
Two pieces by Einudi: Nefeli and The Earth Prelude,
Joy (Goerge Winston's take on Bach's Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring), and Midwinter Memories (Michele McLaughlin)

Then some either previously polished or previously played in different arrangements: Carol of the Bells (McLaughlin arr), Angels We Have Heard on High (Nevue arr), Joy to the Wold (Nevue arr), God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen (Nevue arr).

And I'm also trying to make sure my repertoire pieces are in good shape, esp Le Onde, I Giorni and I Due Fiumi plus several Nevue pieces, so I hopefully will be ready for a little mini-concert for my family during the holidays. Wish me luck!

#2174744 - 10/31/13 10:14 AM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: ShiroKuro]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ShiroKuro
Argh! I am such a flip-flopper! I've pretty much decided I am going to stop working on Oltremare for the time being. (...)
And I'm also trying to make sure my repertoire pieces are in good shape, esp Le Onde, I Giorni and I Due Fiumi plus several Nevue pieces, so I hopefully will be ready for a little mini-concert for my family during the holidays. Wish me luck!

Ah, good plan, ShiroKuro. Don't be stuck in one piece when you have other pieces to play. You'll see that time will give you more confidence to play it later.
Nice to know you're going to do a home concert! It's a good challenge and always fun. I'm sure your family will love it. thumb

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

#2175047 - 10/31/13 09:38 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: NancyM333]
Jessiebear Offline

Yes what a lovely idea Shiro, they will be a very lucky audience laugh

#2175994 - 11/02/13 05:27 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: NancyM333]
Jessiebear Offline

A question about 'Run' please?

Does anyone here play it? Can you tell me if the piano solo score incorporates the strings? Or leaves them out like Primavera does? I'm not sure if I want to buy the score as I can't see past the first page to what it's really like further on.

TIA smile

eta: I answered my own question by finding this cool vid of it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viLA-5rzDhk and ended up buying the score. So looking forward to enjoying this one, I'm already obsessively listening to it on my Time Lapse CD. *blush*

Edited by Jessiebear (11/02/13 05:48 PM)

#2176682 - 11/03/13 11:04 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: NancyM333]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

I've suddenly awoken to Einaudi this weekend, falling in love with Walk, Orbits, Brothers, and Discovery at Night -- the latter of which I rediscovered... I somehow heard and commented on Monica's performance in the last ABF recital, but it didn't have the same impact on me at the time and I forgot about it quickly.

I shared Discovery at Night with my daughter, and her reaction was "I wish it had lyrics". I thought about it a bit, and I think this could really work.

As Einaudi aficionados, I'm curious whether the general idea of adding lyrics to his work elicits reactions more along the lines of:

a) "Sounds intriguing, bring it on!"

or:

b) "Sacrilege!"

or:

c) "Not sacrilege, but would generally detract from what is already there"

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

XXIX-XXXII

#2176710 - 11/03/13 11:57 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: NancyM333]
Jessiebear Offline

Hi TallGuy! Welcome to the thread laugh

I too love Orbits (so haunting!), Walk, Brothers, and also Run & the ones on my siggy hehe.

I reckon bring it on, if it makes you happy and you get a kick out of it. I'd be curious to hear your results smile

#2176752 - 11/04/13 03:12 AM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: NancyM333]
Allard Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Brothers may be coming up in the next recital smile

#2176784 - 11/04/13 06:08 AM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: NancyM333]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

@Jessiebear: I never played "Run" but it's in my queue...

@aTallGuyNH: Discovery at Night is almost an "easy listen" piece. "Almost", I said.
It's an easy and clever composition. I love to play it! And everybody enjoy it.
"Walk" is diferent. It's more solemn than the other pieces. Sometimes I can not get it's solemn tone. But it's beautiful (when played properly!) and catchy.
I'm glad you're awake again smile

About your survey: I think all forms of art are welcome. Lyrics, why not?
Check this version of "Nuvole Bianche"

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

#2178148 - 11/06/13 07:00 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: NancyM333]
Anne H Offline

Hey, Monica K, can I ask you a quick question? I've been using your recording to work on the details of Discovery at Night and I was wondering how often you were pedaling in it. Is it just with every chord change or half measure?

I'm really enjoying how it's not technically difficult but has some really subtle interpretational stuff.
Bach Inventions

#2178240 - 11/06/13 11:13 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: NancyM333]
Monica K. Offline

I pedal with the chord changes, Anne. And you are so right about Discovery At Night: technically not challenging at all, but getting it to sound like Einaudi?! Hoo boy. crazy

#2178309 - 11/07/13 04:54 AM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: Monica K.]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Monica K.
I pedal with the chord changes, Anne. And you are so right about Discovery At Night: technically not challenging at all, but getting it to sound like Einaudi?! Hoo boy. crazy

Agree...
As most of Einaudi's pieces, the problem is not to press the right keys... the challenge is to get the right sound. Well, I think this is common to all the composers, right?

But IMO, and comparing with other pieces, I found "Discovery at night" not so hard in getting the sound like Einaudi - if you get the right rhythm, you got it -.
On the other hand, for example, "walk" and "Two Trees" are much harder. In this cases you've to manage some (magic) pauses between sessions, and at the same time, you have to "draw" the harmony during some quick phrases. That's harder, IMO.

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

#2178529 - 11/07/13 02:57 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: NancyM333]
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Playing Einaudi requires learning how to breathe into the music IMO. I can't figure out a better way to express it. And the "simpler" the score, the more important it is to get the breathing right. I suppose you could say I'm just talking about timing, but I don't think that's all it is.... All music has a pulse that has to be felt above and beyond playing the notes as written. And I think this is doubly true for Einaudi and any music that has melodies in syncopation and lots of fermatas and so on...

And with a lot of Einaudi pieces there's a hidden melody (like the RH thumbs in Le Onde) that you have to hear to play (again beyond the notes on the page)....

#2178544 - 11/07/13 03:43 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: NancyM333]
Jessiebear Offline

Yes that's a good way to describe it. When he plays his own music you can hear so many different layers- that are easily missed if you're just playing as it appears on the score. I was reminded of this with Fly recently, trying to show someone else how to play the first part, and it is not played how it immediately appears!

#2178747 - 11/07/13 09:46 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: NancyM333]
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

By the way, I meant to say on the subject of adding lyrics, although I wouldn't do that myself, I think Einaudi's music is very lyrical and it makes perfect sense to me. But I often hear something in Einaudi that reminds of something kind of unexpected, I think because his compositional style is thoroughly modern.... what ever that means! laugh I don't know how to explain it.

But for example (you will all say I'm crazy!) when I first heard the Earth Prelude, it reminded me of Iris by the Goo Goo Dolls (which some people might know because it was used prominently in the movie City of Angels with Nicholas Cage and Meg Ryan). Even I think that's kind of crazy! But I think there is something in Einaudi's music that's at the core of popular music (as opposed to classical, as a huge generalization), and that may be what a lot of us are responding to....

And may I just add that I have been working on the Earth Prelude for only a few weeks, but it's come together very quickly and I played it at my piano lesson (on my teacher's beautiful grand, sigh!) I might try to record it, but it will be just a shadow of what it is on an acoustic.....

#2180392 - 11/10/13 10:27 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: NancyM333]
Jessiebear Offline

Bump smile

REALLY enjoying Questa Notte. I'd had it printed out since Aug but was a bit aprehensive as it looked too hard.

Tackled it a few days ago and WOW it is so much fun! And so pretty! I especially like the last page. It's exciting and is timed just like Oltremare so I'm glad I did that one first.

(Pity my RSI doesn't like it frown Pacing one-self is a good thing, apparently LOL )

How are you all enjoying your Einaudi pieces at the moment? What are you working on?

#2180479 - 11/11/13 05:08 AM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: NancyM333]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Jessiebear, nice to know how you are progressing with Einauid's pieces. That's fantastic!

Sometimes I get hard critics from my "forced spectators" - children, and wife... -, because they are tired of listening to a particular piece... Of course they have their preferences, but that's the main reason. So, I decided to "hide" my learning sessions and I only play a piece for them when it's completely learned. I noticed that the critics are more accurate now than before.

I'm struggling with my computer device drivers to get a decent sound quality in my recordings. New computer, new hardware, wrong drivers... What to say? I want to submit "Two Trees" piece for recital #32, but time is running out... frown

I was working on 4 pieces in a row: "Walk", "Discovery at Night", "Two Trees" and "Life". 20 minutes of pure magic, played by memory.

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

#2180485 - 11/11/13 05:49 AM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: NancyM333]
Jessiebear Offline

Now that would be neat, playing them all from memory! Those four pieces are particularly lovely. I just got the Time Lapse CD, so many good ones like those on it!

I hope you can get your equipment to behave itself soon, how frustrating!!
I would love to hear an informal recording just on this thread perhaps? Pretty please? hehe

#2180525 - 11/11/13 08:52 AM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: Jessiebear]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Jessiebear
(...)I hope you can get your equipment to behave itself soon, how frustrating!!
I would love to hear an informal recording just on this thread perhaps? Pretty please? hehe

I've some MONO and BAD quality recordings... with some ERRORS. It's too far away from what I want to submit to PW... It's really bad stuff... frown

Let's do this way: I'm going to try to fix the problems till 15/Nov so you can hear something decent it in the recital. Or, I'll share the "best" version here, ok?

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

#2180536 - 11/11/13 09:18 AM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: NancyM333]
barbaram Offline

Hi everyone
It is so true to say the challenge is making the pieces sound like Einaudi. I was feeling really happy with my progress on Nefeli and then listened to Einaudi's own version for the first time in a long time. I sound *nothing* like Einaudi. I think I might need to recalibrate that goal, because I don't think I'm going to be sounding like Einaudi any time soon!
That said, there is huge value in listening to his version, trying to work out what it is that sounds so different, and incorporating what I can - while being realistic about what I can't (yet).

While I know I still have plenty of polishing to do, both Nefeli and I Giorni are more or less there for me. Perhaps that's giving away my not very perfectionist nature! I'm never error-free, I'm not fast enough and as I said above I definitely don't sound like Einaudi, yet I call that "more or less there" :-)

I think I want something new to work on, Carol of the Bells is an awesome suggestion - thanks ShiroKuro! I'm listening to the Michele McLaughlin version right now. I think I'll give it a go and if it turns out I've bitten off more than I can chew I'll step back to an easier arrangement.

Page 58 of 65 < 1 2 ... 56 57 58 59 60 ... 64 65 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano Tuner Recommendation
by DancerJ
09/22/14 03:58 PM
Opening a Kawai ES7
by ColoRodney
09/22/14 03:32 PM
Kawai MP11 black key noise?
by rungabic
09/22/14 11:35 AM
Rachmaninoff 2 and broken strings
by Anne'sson
09/22/14 09:31 AM
Kawai CN24 vs Kawai CA65 Vs Acoustic
by Luca33
09/22/14 08:55 AM
Who's Online
136 registered (Arizona Sage, accordeur, ajames, Anne'sson, 39 invisible), 1697 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76285 Members
42 Forums
157692 Topics
2316253 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission