Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 65 of 65 < 1 2 ... 63 64 65
Topic Options
#2300801 - 07/10/14 04:14 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: NancyM333]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisbon, Portugal
Ludovico Einaudi - Time Lapse Tour 2014. Next shows:

11 July - Spain - Barcellona, Amfiteatre Grec
12 July - Spain - Madrid, Teatro Circo Prince
13 July - Spain - Madrid, Teatro Circo Prince
15 July - Germany - Paderborn - Schlosspark
16 July - Germany - Cologne - Tanzbrunner
17 July - Belgium - Gent Jazz Festival
18 July - Germany - Mainz - Zitadelle
19 July - Denmark - Copenaghen - DR Concerthuset
20 July - Netherlands - Amsterdam, Concertgebouw
21 July - Netherlands, Amsterdam, Concertgebouw
28 July - Italia, Arena di Verona

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

Self-taught since 12/2009
Don't play what's there, play what's not there.

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2301581 - 07/12/14 04:46 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: NancyM333]
Jessiebear Offline

Loc: New Zealand
Lucky Europe!! And gosh Mr E. is a busy man at the moment smile

#2302619 - 07/15/14 03:09 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: Jessiebear]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Originally Posted By: Jessiebear
Here are a couple of my favourite pieces, not perfect but getting there.

Apologies I'm still using my old microphone so sounds a bit underwater/gurgly.

Monday
Monika would you have any suggestions, having played it before?

Also, this is how far I am with Melodia Africana IV I really like playing this piece, it reminds me of Divenire with the way certain parts flow.

I'm trying to make both pieces smoother and bring out the right hand but not too much!

Just got back from out of town--sorry for the delay. Your "Monday" sounds beautiful, Jessie. I actually haven't played it before... those polyrhythms scare me, so I tend to avoid those pieces of his that rely so heavily on them! whome

#2302622 - 07/15/14 03:12 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: NancyM333]
Monica K. Offline

Mr. E is busy indeed. And I can't wait until the 28th. smile Hubby and I decided to stay with our Verona tickets and take the risk of a rain-out rather than go to Amsterdam. We'll be heading for Venice on the 23rd, then Florence for a couple of days, and then the grand finale of Verona and the concert. Leaving the kids at home, which makes it our first husband/wife only vacation since they were born 18 years ago. smile

#2316045 - 08/15/14 06:53 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: Monica K.]
MarieJ Offline

Loc: Queensland Australia
C'mon Monica - you've had plenty of time to get your feet back on the ground and we're dying to know how the concert went!

#2317317 - 08/19/14 12:51 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: NancyM333]
Monica K. Offline

Sorry, Marie! We got back from Italy late July 29th, caught our breath for two days, then went to Chicago for 8 days for a big business trip. Then it was getting my son ready for the start of school and doing the recital, wanting to take sufficient time to do this write-up justice, etc. etc.

In other words, lots of excuses! Sorry for the delay.

The concert was simply wonderful. 3hearts As you all know, I was terrified that we would go to the great expense of this trip only to arrive and have the concert rained out. Hubby Jonathan assured me that we should simply consider it to be a trip to Italy to celebrate our anniversary, and if we got to see Einaudi, that would just be the frosting on the cake. But I was still quite worried, so I was delighted when two days before the concert there was a post on Facebook saying that the show would go on, rain or shine. thumb

I'll skip details of Venice and Florence, both of which were fabulous. We arrived in Verona the day of the concert. The city is dominated by the Verona Arena, where the concert was going to be held. It is an ancient Roman amphitheater that is used now for various opera performances and other concerts. Here's a shot of me outside the arena:

It's in the center of town, in a plaza lined by numerous restaurants and a park. We had lunch, then went to tour an old castle that housed an art museum. Walking back to the hotel I was startled to hear the unmistakable sounds of Einaudi emanating from the amphitheater. For a brief second I thought I had gotten the starting time wrong! eek But then I realized it was just the sound check. Phew!

Although it was sunny and quite hot most of the day, the forecast continued to call for thunderstorms that evening. So Jonathan and I prepared ourselves by buying official Verona Arena souvenir ponchos. This is me holding the poncho under the banner advertising the concert:

Now that I had the rain thing under control, the only remaining worry I had was some nagging doubts about the tickets, as I had bought them online from an Italian ticket venue, laboriously copying and pasting each part of the website into Google Translate. And, of course, the tickets were printed in Italian. So when we checked into the hotel, I showed them to the desk clerk and asked her to translate, just to make sure there wasn't any remaining step we had to do to get inside the concert. She assured me that we were good to go and commented that we had excellent seats. Which we did indeed, row five, slightly left of center, as you can see by this pic, which also shows the tent protecting the piano from any potential rain. That's hubby Jon in the lower right, looking toward the camera.

We got to the concert half an hour early, a time I spent eagerly buying concert memorabilia: A poster of the event, a canvas bag with Einaudi's photo on it, a "Nightbook" t-shirt, a "Time Lapse" booklet, etc. etc.

The arena kept filling up. It seats around 25,000 people, and I'm pretty sure this concert was a sell-out. Here's a shot taken about 15 minutes before the start of the concert to give you an idea of the crowd. It certainly makes it clear that Einaudi is a much-revered and well-known musician in his home country.

Finally, the moment we had been waiting for arrived, and the musicians walked on stage to thunderous applause. Einaudi sat down at the piano and began the haunting intro to "Waterways," one of my favorite pieces from the "In a Time Lapse" album. Roughly 30 seconds later, the threatening clouds that had been gathering the past hour opened up and a downpour commenced. The next five minutes were marred by the sounds of 25,000 people putting on rain ponchos and/or opening umbrellas. Everybody was trying to be quiet, of course, but you can't mask the sounds of 25,000 crinkling ponchos.

Jonathan and I disagree on how long the rain lasted (I thought only about 25 minutes, he thought nearly an hour), but rain it did for some time. I had to crane my neck sideways to glimpse the stage through the umbrellas in front of me, but the music as always was captivating. And I should mention that this was no gentle summer rain but a full blown thunderstorm. The lightning and thunder actually added to the atmosphere, as during that time Einaudi was playing several tracks from "Nightbook," which have a somewhat edgy, intense tone matching well the show Mother Nature was giving us.

Finally, though, the rain let up (for the most part). Einaudi and his ensemble played for 2 1/2 hours, much longer than any of his concerts I have seen in the past (including the Time Lapse show I saw in Chicago). I don't know if that's because of the venue, the large crowd, or making up for the rain. Or, likely, it may have had something to do with the fact that the concert was being professionally videotaped, with several dollies or booms (? videocamera-holding things that move up and down and all around) moving about throughout the performance. I sure hope they release a DVD of the show, but I'm thinking that the ambient noise caused by the rain probably upset those plans.

I wish I could tell you a setlist for the show, but I was too mesmerized by the music to try to take notes. But he played most of my favorites, with a heavy emphasis on his two most recent albums: Waterways, Time Lapse, Life, Experience (which was FANTASTIC live!), Underwood, Newton's Cradle (ditto!), Nightbook, Eros, Berlin Song, Tu Sei, Divenire, Andare, etc. etc. I know I'm missing a lot and/or confusing some.

About halfway through "Divenire," although the rain had stopped by then, a gust of wind somehow picked up a section of the large awning that had protected the stage and dumped gallons of water on the stage, right next to the piano, splashing both Einaudi himself and the top half of the keyboard. He stopped for a second, looking at the water in disbelief, while the audience roared in surprise and laughter. He then finished the phrase he was on, wiped a considerable amount of water off the keys with a flourish, and then returned to playing.

I wasn't trying to record the concert (my Zoom's not waterproof!), but I found a clip on YouTube that shows Divenire and the waterfall event (which starts at about the 5:15 mark):

After about 2 hours of amazing music, including some spectacular tambourine work, Einaudi and his ensemble left the stage to a standing ovation. The crowd hooted and whooped and clapped our little hearts out for what had to have been a solid ten minutes straight... but still no encore! Just when I was starting to believe that they were going to skip the encore given the rain, wet stage, and waterlogged piano, we heard the gentle intro notes to "Nuvole Bianche" off to the right of the stage, where the crew had hastily set up an upright piano for Einaudi to play a few solo pieces while they wiped off the main stage and instruments.

After the delightful interlude of Einaudi playing solos on an upright (amazingly good sound despite the upright, which only proves further that it's the musician, and not the instrument, that accounts for 95% of the variance in sound), he and the ensemble returned to the stage for another encore set. The finale was an extended arrangement of "Eden Roc," and right at the end six drummers dressed in traditional Italian Renaissance garb appeared on the stage playing drums. It was amazing. smile

Einaudi then introduced all the musicians in his ensemble, who were greeted with standing ovations and cheers (especially the tambourine dude) and then launched into an edgy final finale piece that includes a whole lot of rhythm and snippets from various "Nightbook" pieces. Here's a pretty good video somebody took of this:

And then it was over... truly a marvelous experience. While I had seen a very similar version of the show in Chicago, this one was even more special given its greater length, the energy of the huge crowd, and the beauty of the Verona Arena amphitheater. Would I have preferred that it didn't rain on us, and would I have preferred not to hear the crinkle crinkle of rain ponchos throughout the show? Sure. But even with the rain it was a special night, and one that I am so grateful I was able to share with my husband... who is rapidly becoming just as much of an Einaudi fan as I am. The trip definitely counts as one of my peak life experiences. smile

#2317436 - 08/19/14 06:48 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: NancyM333]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Great report thanks for sharing

Last time I got married (lol there has been a few) black clouds suddenly appeared as we were exchanging vows in a beach ceremony. After the ceremony just standing around talking to friends it started to bucket down and stayed torrential for the rest of the day. We will never forget that day (since we still had to take tables and chairs back to the car) but it makes for good memories and some good photos. We often say it would not be the same without that storm.

#2317438 - 08/19/14 06:49 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: NancyM333]
MarieJ Offline

Loc: Queensland Australia
Oh, Monica, THANK YOU! I never expected a fabulous, detailed, inspiring report like that! I won't be the only one bookmarking this page, and revisiting it over and over again to savour the whole wonderful experience. It's the next best thing to actually being there - and without the deluge.

#2317588 - 08/20/14 05:39 AM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: MarieJ]
barbaram Offline

Thanks for the report Monica, sounds truly amazing!

Page 65 of 65 < 1 2 ... 63 64 65

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pianoteq 5 - no sustain
by David Farley
09/20/14 04:32 PM
Real piano makes star happy, Agree? Disagree?
by Sand Tiger
09/20/14 03:09 PM
Tips for Reducing Key Noise
by Dwscamel
09/20/14 02:25 PM
DVD recording
by jtattoo
09/20/14 12:45 PM
upgrade from Kawai CN34 to CA65 - how much to pay
by khopin
09/20/14 12:39 PM
Who's Online
118 registered (alfredo capurso, AndresD, accordeur, 34 invisible), 1429 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76260 Members
42 Forums
157646 Topics
2315576 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission