Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2149428 - 09/13/13 12:39 PM Pianists that played for Ravel
fnork Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Helsinki, finland
Vlado Perlemuter (all solo works, but not the concerti)
Jacques Février (Wittgenstein did the official premiere of the leftie-concerto - that was in the deal, Ravel had no way out -, but Février was chosen to do the French premiere, and worked on the piece with the composer)
Marguerite Long (not sure how much they actually worked together, but the G major concerto was dedicated to her, etc)
Ricardo Vines, sure

Gieseking played for Ravel, no? I'm having a bit of a black-out on other pianists that worked extensively with Ravel. As I'm working on Gaspard de la nuit, I'm having troubles finding an ideal tempo for Scarbo. Though the other Ravel "reference piece" in regards to similar rhythms/character etc would be the 2nd movement of the Piano Trio (192 on the crotchet, as far as I recall), then this tempo seems a few tads too slow for my taste. The "Pantoum" of the piano trio is notated in 3/4 first of all, while Scarbo is in 3/8...in any case, when I'm listening to Perlemuter, Février and others, it seems they're more or less aiming for a similar tempo to that of the trio. It's not scary enough for my ears, and also...they're clearly having difficulties, even at that 'slow' pace.

Thoughts?

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2149432 - 09/13/13 12:42 PM Re: Pianists that played for Ravel [Re: fnork]
fnork Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Perlemuter's book on Ravel is useful and all, and it's a nice reference. Still, I think it's a pity that no yet greater pianists went through the entire body of solo works with Ravel himself. Perlemuter does a lot of great things, and I had a teacher that studied for him, but he wasn't quite able to pull off the most virtuosic of the piano works, IMO.

#2149445 - 09/13/13 12:58 PM Re: Pianists that played for Ravel [Re: fnork]
outo Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Finland
Marcelle Meyer? I think they did something together.

#2149502 - 09/13/13 02:06 PM Re: Pianists that played for Ravel [Re: fnork]
jonnyboy126 Offline

Paul Doguereau

#2149550 - 09/13/13 03:34 PM Re: Pianists that played for Ravel [Re: fnork]
ando Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Robert Casadesus had a lot to do with Ravel, and he recorded all of Ravel's works.

#2149571 - 09/13/13 04:06 PM Re: Pianists that played for Ravel [Re: ando]
Louis Podesta Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ando
Robert Casadesus had a lot to do with Ravel, and he recorded all of Ravel's works.

Casadesus was the first performer to play an entire Ravel solo recital. The two became such good friends they subsequently went on tour together playing two piano works.

The G Major Concerto was written specifically for Marguerite Long, and she was the first to record it with Ravel being present in the studio during the session. They initially did a tour together, with Ravel conducting in order to introduce the piece to the public.

I am at a loss as to why no one mentions the 2002 recording "Maurice Ravel, The Composer As Pianist and Conductor," by Kenneth Caswell. The only reason I can come up with is, as has been shown in prior posts, there are those who consider themselves experts on piano roll recordings, which they are not!

I have discussed this recording, as well as the Debussy roll, with Ken at length, and this is the most accurate example of Ravel's style of playing.

#2149820 - 09/14/13 01:51 AM Re: Pianists that played for Ravel [Re: Louis Podesta]
fnork Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Still, one would somehow think there'd be yet more top notch pianists that had worked with Ravel....But true about Casadesus. Did he write a lot on his encounters with Ravel? I remember only reading a few small paragraphs here and there..

#2149886 - 09/14/13 07:02 AM Re: Pianists that played for Ravel [Re: fnork]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: fnork
Still, one would somehow think there'd be yet more top notch pianists that had worked with Ravel....

I don't know. It doesn't seem to me that most composers really have had a lot of performers who worked with them extensively. How many pianists worked directly and at length with Bartok, Stravinsky, Schoenberg, Debussy, Rachmaninoff, Szymanowski, et al.? There were some, but I don't think there were a lot, in any particular case.

#2150184 - 09/14/13 06:09 PM Re: Pianists that played for Ravel [Re: fnork]
dolce sfogato Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Netherlands
Listen to 'Mr.Scarbo': Samson Francois, he didn't play for Ravel, but in France he was considered to be the one and only to play Gaspard the right way, that is in the 50's and 60's, pupil of Cortot and a 'noctuelle'...

Couperin pices, Ravel tombeau de C

#2150219 - 09/14/13 07:22 PM Re: Pianists that played for Ravel [Re: fnork]
Louis Podesta Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: fnork
Still, one would somehow think there'd be yet more top notch pianists that had worked with Ravel....But true about Casadesus. Did he write a lot on his encounters with Ravel? I remember only reading a few small paragraphs here and there..

Three things: First, Impressionism was not just like Twelve Tone composition, it was not "Avant Garde," it was heretical.

Secondly, Monsieur Ravel had a Twenty-first Century gay lifestyle, way before it was "fashionable." That means that when you don't see a lot of pianists "warming up" to this guy, now you know why.

Third, Cecile Dunoyer, who is a very legitimate Marguerite Long biographer, has the following book, which spends an entire chapter on her (Long's) professional relationship with this composer.

A Life in French Music, 1874–1966
Cecilia Dunoyer.

And, for the record, Madame Long extensively played in a 19th century style, the original style, and rolled her chords when playing Ravel, and asynchronized her bass line.

"L'art de Marguerite Long" is a reference recording, along with "Ravel Conducts Ravel."

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
118 registered (barbaram, Alux, anotherscott, albumblatter, AndrewJCW, 34 invisible), 1503 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75843 Members
42 Forums
156798 Topics
2303965 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Jazz"y" improvisation/cover issues
by kobethuy
08/20/14 02:00 AM
Jazz"y" improvisation/cover issues
by kobethuy
08/20/14 01:33 AM
My Steinway M birth information.
by ciftwood
08/19/14 08:30 PM
Breathy tone
by JoelW
08/19/14 07:59 PM
HELLO!!
by Synner
08/19/14 07:23 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission