2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (beeboss, Animisha, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 3 invisible), 1,277 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
biska Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
B
Vlado Perlemuter (all solo works, but not the concerti)
Jacques Février (Wittgenstein did the official premiere of the leftie-concerto - that was in the deal, Ravel had no way out -, but Février was chosen to do the French premiere, and worked on the piece with the composer)
Marguerite Long (not sure how much they actually worked together, but the G major concerto was dedicated to her, etc)
Ricardo Vines, sure

Gieseking played for Ravel, no? I'm having a bit of a black-out on other pianists that worked extensively with Ravel. As I'm working on Gaspard de la nuit, I'm having troubles finding an ideal tempo for Scarbo. Though the other Ravel "reference piece" in regards to similar rhythms/character etc would be the 2nd movement of the Piano Trio (192 on the crotchet, as far as I recall), then this tempo seems a few tads too slow for my taste. The "Pantoum" of the piano trio is notated in 3/4 first of all, while Scarbo is in 3/8...in any case, when I'm listening to Perlemuter, Février and others, it seems they're more or less aiming for a similar tempo to that of the trio. It's not scary enough for my ears, and also...they're clearly having difficulties, even at that 'slow' pace.

Thoughts?

B
biska Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
B
Perlemuter's book on Ravel is useful and all, and it's a nice reference. Still, I think it's a pity that no yet greater pianists went through the entire body of solo works with Ravel himself. Perlemuter does a lot of great things, and I had a teacher that studied for him, but he wasn't quite able to pull off the most virtuosic of the piano works, IMO.

O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
Marcelle Meyer? I think they did something together.

J
J
Paul Doguereau

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Robert Casadesus had a lot to do with Ravel, and he recorded all of Ravel's works.

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by ando
Robert Casadesus had a lot to do with Ravel, and he recorded all of Ravel's works.

Casadesus was the first performer to play an entire Ravel solo recital. The two became such good friends they subsequently went on tour together playing two piano works.

The G Major Concerto was written specifically for Marguerite Long, and she was the first to record it with Ravel being present in the studio during the session. They initially did a tour together, with Ravel conducting in order to introduce the piece to the public.

I am at a loss as to why no one mentions the 2002 recording "Maurice Ravel, The Composer As Pianist and Conductor," by Kenneth Caswell. The only reason I can come up with is, as has been shown in prior posts, there are those who consider themselves experts on piano roll recordings, which they are not!

I have discussed this recording, as well as the Debussy roll, with Ken at length, and this is the most accurate example of Ravel's style of playing.

B
biska Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
B
Still, one would somehow think there'd be yet more top notch pianists that had worked with Ravel....But true about Casadesus. Did he write a lot on his encounters with Ravel? I remember only reading a few small paragraphs here and there..

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by fnork
Still, one would somehow think there'd be yet more top notch pianists that had worked with Ravel....

I don't know. It doesn't seem to me that most composers really have had a lot of performers who worked with them extensively. How many pianists worked directly and at length with Bartok, Stravinsky, Schoenberg, Debussy, Rachmaninoff, Szymanowski, et al.? There were some, but I don't think there were a lot, in any particular case.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Listen to 'Mr.Scarbo': Samson Francois, he didn't play for Ravel, but in France he was considered to be the one and only to play Gaspard the right way, that is in the 50's and 60's, pupil of Cortot and a 'noctuelle'...

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by fnork
Still, one would somehow think there'd be yet more top notch pianists that had worked with Ravel....But true about Casadesus. Did he write a lot on his encounters with Ravel? I remember only reading a few small paragraphs here and there..

Three things: First, Impressionism was not just like Twelve Tone composition, it was not "Avant Garde," it was heretical.

Secondly, Monsieur Ravel had a Twenty-first Century gay lifestyle, way before it was "fashionable." That means that when you don't see a lot of pianists "warming up" to this guy, now you know why.

Third, Cecile Dunoyer, who is a very legitimate Marguerite Long biographer, has the following book, which spends an entire chapter on her (Long's) professional relationship with this composer.

A Life in French Music, 1874–1966
Cecilia Dunoyer.

And, for the record, Madame Long extensively played in a 19th century style, the original style, and rolled her chords when playing Ravel, and asynchronized her bass line.

"L'art de Marguerite Long" is a reference recording, along with "Ravel Conducts Ravel."

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission