Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#2149967 - 09/14/13 11:11 AM Lisitsa's method for learning a new concerto for BBC Proms
Allan W. Offline

Loc: Michigan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoLvhHjacMw

Read the video description.

Summary: She listens to 15-20 different interpretations beforehand, then starts playing the piece from scratch with headphones on to her favorite interpretation on Youtube. And in one hour she gets the concerto mostly in memory already. Her sight reading is mostly about the structure rather than getting all the notes right. Wish I could sight read like that...

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2150015 - 09/14/13 12:15 PM Re: Lisitsa's method for learning a new concerto for BBC Proms [Re: Allan W.]
bennevis Offline
5000 Post Club Member

I wonder why she's using the full orchestral score to play from....

#2150016 - 09/14/13 12:16 PM Re: Lisitsa's method for learning a new concerto for BBC Proms [Re: Allan W.]
DonaldLee Offline

I just saw that too, and created a post. You beat me to it ha! I'm in love with her sight reading. I have practiced sight reading for sight reading's sake since I was around 13 or 14. This makes me want to start sight reading everything in sight!
Bach Prelude and Fugue in b-flat minor (WTC Book I)
Balikerev Islamey

#2150022 - 09/14/13 12:28 PM Re: Lisitsa's method for learning a new concerto for BBC Proms [Re: Allan W.]
gooddog Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle area, WA
If this is indeed prima vista as she says, her sight-reading is impressive but I am very turned off by the fact that she is practicing along with someone else's interpretation. At her level, I would think she would be confident enough to create her own.

Deborah

#2150029 - 09/14/13 12:40 PM Re: Lisitsa's method for learning a new concerto for BBC Proms [Re: Allan W.]
Allan W. Offline

Loc: Michigan
I doubt she would always practice with the recording, she says she uses it to learn the piece and it's psychologically helpful to hear beautiful music while learning it. After spending an hour or two memorizing the piece this way I'm sure she still has plenty of practice time to make her interpretation.

Her comment on the video:
Quote:
It works beautifully! Instead of a self-defeating, confidence-shattering feedback loop hearing your own mistakes , you hear a good performance. It's actually a trick that was used by French vocal school YEARS ago - they would put sound-isolating headphones on singers and feed Caruso through them. Amazingly, the students, unbeknownst to them , started sounding like one! Voice is the most direct instrument - hardwired to our brain . If t brain HEARS good thing it commands body to follow.

She mentioned in a previous video that in music school, she practiced the Rachmaninoff concertos with headphones to the composer's recordings.

#2150046 - 09/14/13 01:20 PM Re: Lisitsa's method for learning a new concerto for BBC Proms [Re: gooddog]
pianoloverus Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: gooddog
If this is indeed prima vista as she says, her sight-reading is impressive but I am very turned off by the fact that she is practicing along with someone else's interpretation. At her level, I would think she would be confident enough to create her own.
I think it's a false assumption that she can't create her own just because she's listening to the recording. Do you think if she were asked about this she'd really say "Yes, I just copy the recorded performance and I have no ideas of my own"?

OTOH for the 99+% of pianists who are amateurs(including myself) I think listening closely to great professional recordings would close to 100% of the time result in a gigantic improvement in their performance. This assumes the pianist is trying to learn something from that listening experience and not just blindly copying everything they've heard. That's why there's an ongoing major pedagogy project by outstanding university piano teachers to record 1000s of typical student pieces.

Each pianist's own personality will automatically be part of their performance even if they have listened to a professional recording.

Edited by pianoloverus (09/14/13 01:36 PM)

#2150050 - 09/14/13 01:30 PM Re: Lisitsa's method for learning a new concerto for BBC Proms [Re: pianoloverus]
bennevis Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: pianoloverus
I think it's a false assumption that she can't create her own since she's listening to the recording. Do you think if she were asked about this she'd really say "Yes, I just copy the recorded performance"?

Did anyone here actually watch/listen to her BBC Proms performance on August 31st?

You can still watch that performance via www.bbc.co.uk/proms (click on the date and follow the links).

Then come back and tell us whose performance you think she's copying..... grin

Oops, just realised that Lisitsa had given a direct link to that performance on her YouTube info.

Edited by bennevis (09/14/13 01:46 PM)

#2150094 - 09/14/13 03:11 PM Re: Lisitsa's method for learning a new concerto for BBC Proms [Re: gooddog]
wower Offline

Loc: Calgary
I was just going to add; I, for one, feel it would just be plain confusing to listen to a recording whist playing. However, how quickly she picks up a concerto makes a convincing case so maybe one day I'll try it like she suggests. I'd probably need to improve my sight reading though. I've never won a sight reading competition before (as her YB note adds).

As for her listening to multiple performances, internationally renown concert pianists are rare enough they don't compose a convincing data set to learn from IMO. Certainly there are interesting ideas to learn from like above, but I think a lot of their success is rooted in the fact they are strong individuals of unique skill who still manage to impose their interpretation on a piece. If one counters it still influences a piece, if even subconsciously. I agree, but I can only think nothing is created in a vacuum and I'm not sure anything helpful comes extending this reasoning indefinitely. In any case, there are lots interesting amateur players doing cool things if the performance is soiled by such knowledge. But I would encourage enjoying the piece and enjoying her playing.

#2150109 - 09/14/13 03:58 PM Re: Lisitsa's method for learning a new concerto for BBC Proms [Re: Allan W.]
jazzyprof Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
Originally Posted By: Allan W.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoLvhHjacMw

Read the video description.

Summary: She listens to 15-20 different interpretations beforehand, then starts playing the piece from scratch with headphones on to her favorite interpretation on Youtube.

Uh, uh, Valentina... the high priests of originality will descend upon you like a ton of bricks. Don't you know that you shouldn't listen to recordings of the piece you're learning?! That's no way to get to the Proms...or to Carnegie Hall, for that matter.

#2150132 - 09/14/13 04:49 PM Re: Lisitsa's method for learning a new concerto for BBC Proms [Re: jazzyprof]
wower Offline

Originally Posted By: jazzyprof
Uh, uh, Valentina... the high priests of originality will descend upon you like a ton of bricks. Don't you know that you shouldn't listen to recordings of the piece you're learning?! That's no way to get to the Proms...or to Carnegie Hall, for that matter.

See my post above where I suggest it doesn't apply to people already at the Proms or Carnegie Hall, just us mere morals.

#2150179 - 09/14/13 06:04 PM Re: Lisitsa's method for learning a new concerto for BBC Proms [Re: Allan W.]
Keith D Kerman Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Gaithersburg, MD (Washington D...
I think it is quite brave of her to share her method since I am sure she is well aware of how it will be criticized.
New Steingraeber, Estonia, Charles R. Walter, Brodmann, Feurich
www.pianocraft.net
http://www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel/videos

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460

#2150193 - 09/14/13 06:22 PM Re: Lisitsa's method for learning a new concerto for BBC Proms [Re: Keith D Kerman]
jazzyprof Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Keith D Kerman
I think it is quite brave of her to share her method since I am sure she is well aware of how it will be criticized.

I really doubt that she cares. She's playing Carnegie Hall and the BBC Proms and her critics aren't!

#2150195 - 09/14/13 06:27 PM Re: Lisitsa's method for learning a new concerto for BBC Proms [Re: jazzyprof]
bennevis Offline
5000 Post Club Member

I really doubt that she cares. She's playing Carnegie Hall and the BBC Proms and her critics aren't!

...and don't forget she's got another CD out very soon (Liszt).... grin

#2150209 - 09/14/13 06:56 PM Re: Lisitsa's method for learning a new concerto for BBC Proms [Re: Allan W.]
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
Originally Posted By: Allan W.

Summary: She listens to 15-20 different interpretations beforehand, then starts playing the piece from scratch with headphones on to her favorite interpretation on Youtube.

So that's why I keep mistaking her for Horowitz!

not.

#2150237 - 09/14/13 07:56 PM Re: Lisitsa's method for learning a new concerto for BBC Proms [Re: Allan W.]
Dwscamel Offline

I like how people who are clearly nowhere near as good as she is are prescribing how she ought to practice.

I'm glad she shares real tips with fans instead of just saying useless things like "focus on your musical interpretation" or "practice mentally".

Ashkenazy likewise gave good information and good interviews.

I love pianists that actually care about interacting with their fans.

#2150248 - 09/14/13 08:15 PM Re: Lisitsa's method for learning a new concerto for BBC Proms [Re: Dwscamel]
wower Offline

Originally Posted By: Dwscamel
I love pianists that actually care about interacting with their fans.

This I agree with. Love her or hate her, it's refreshing to see classical music finally being pulled onto the 21st century internet in an interesting way. I know there is great wringing of hands over whether to clap between movements or if performances are better when the performer is in period costume or not but I find this sort of project helps refocus on the music and how excellent classical music, contemporary or historical, can be.

#2150252 - 09/14/13 08:25 PM Re: Lisitsa's method for learning a new concerto for BBC Proms [Re: gooddog]
Frankni Offline

Loc: UK

Who says she is listening to the same piece? ha
Maybe she can multi-task in an phenomenal way!

#2150271 - 09/14/13 10:03 PM Re: Lisitsa's method for learning a new concerto for BBC Proms [Re: Allan W.]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there
I have never been a fan of her playing, but have always liked the interaction she has with her fans and the different things she tries. I give her a ton of credit for going at things the way she has. As to this way of "learning" a new concerto... she is doing a great disservice to all those students who look to her. No doubt, many will try this very same thing (and many sound as though they've been doing it for quite some time). I'm not surprised at this, since I find her playing quite technical and cold and for those who would question why I find this to be so... here, within this thread, lies the answer.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#2150371 - 09/15/13 03:44 AM Re: Lisitsa's method for learning a new concerto for BBC Proms [Re: bennevis]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: bennevis
Originally Posted By: pianoloverus
I think it's a false assumption that she can't create her own since she's listening to the recording. Do you think if she were asked about this she'd really say "Yes, I just copy the recorded performance"?

Did anyone here actually watch/listen to her BBC Proms performance on August 31st?

You can still watch that performance via www.bbc.co.uk/proms (click on the date and follow the links).

Then come back and tell us whose performance you think she's copying..... grin

Oops, just realised that Lisitsa had given a direct link to that performance on her YouTube info.

People outside the UK can't watch BBC television from the BBC website.

Anyway, knowing which performance she copied would probably require knowing multiple recordings of the concerto. Um...no, thanks.

And besides, I don't know that she is flexible enough of a pianist to actually present a copied performance with enough recognizable character left in it to be able to make the identification.

#2150506 - 09/15/13 11:27 AM Re: Lisitsa's method for learning a new concerto for BBC Proms [Re: stores]
BruceD Offline

Loc: Victoria, BC
Originally Posted By: stores
I have never been a fan of her playing, but have always liked the interaction she has with her fans and the different things she tries. I give her a ton of credit for going at things the way she has. As to this way of "learning" a new concerto... she is doing a great disservice to all those students who look to her. No doubt, many will try this very same thing (and many sound as though they've been doing it for quite some time). I'm not surprised at this, since I find her playing quite technical and cold and for those who would question why I find this to be so... here, within this thread, lies the answer.

My quibble with this comment on her disservice to her admirers is that it implies a "one size fits all" approach. Since none of us has actually asked Ms. Lisitsa, I doubt that we can say that she advocates this learning "technique" for anyone else. In this particular case it may have worked for her, but I don't think the fact that she posted this video (why she did is another question) is an argument for a universal approach to learning a new work.

Regards,

#2150566 - 09/15/13 02:52 PM Re: Lisitsa's method for learning a new concerto for BBC Proms [Re: jazzyprof]
Keith D Kerman Offline
3000 Post Club Member

She may not care. But by definition, concert pianists are extremely sensitive types. The most successful can have near nervous breakdowns over a bad review done by someone they know to be beyond ignorant.
People who care desperately about what they are creating, who then make themselves vulnerable by offering it to strangers, are rarely so tough and thick skinned that they don't get extremely hurt when they are misunderstood.
Some are. Not many though. And some handle it better than others even though it is very painful.
www.pianocraft.net

#2150573 - 09/15/13 02:58 PM Re: Lisitsa's method for learning a new concerto for BBC Proms [Re: stores]
Keith D Kerman Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: stores

This is what I mean. Lisitsa knew very well that by sharing her practice approach, she would be subjected to this type of reaction. I am not saying that Stores' comments are not valid, just that had Lisitsa chosen not to share her methods, she also would have been able to avoid this type of criticism which is certainly not helpful to her.

And I do suspect that she is not bothered by negative comments from anonymous internet sources, but no doubt non anonymous sources share Stores' opinion.
www.pianocraft.net

#2150589 - 09/15/13 03:27 PM Re: Lisitsa's method for learning a new concerto for BBC Proms [Re: Keith D Kerman]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
She may not care. But by definition, concert pianists are extremely sensitive types. The most successful can have near nervous breakdowns over a bad review done by someone they know to be beyond ignorant.
really?

I don't know any cases, and I imagine that you must know, but for me going public pretty much means not caring too much. I mean just look at so many public figures: From politics, to pop singers, to whatever. All seem to be influenced by the enormous pressure from the public, but given the amount of pressure they're being forced on I don't think it's unreasonable.

Now, specifically a person that shares SO much of her daily life must be partly immune to that, I think... :-/

#2150594 - 09/15/13 03:33 PM Re: Lisitsa's method for learning a new concerto for BBC Proms [Re: Nikolas]
Keith D Kerman Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Nikolas

Now, specifically a person that shares SO much of her daily life must be partly immune to that, I think... :-/

You are probably right. She must have either very thick skin or genuinely just not care. I am probably projecting and just thinking out loud about how performing pianists have to be so sensitive and then also they have to make themselves so vulnerable.
www.pianocraft.net

#2150596 - 09/15/13 03:34 PM Re: Lisitsa's method for learning a new concerto for BBC Proms [Re: Keith D Kerman]
bennevis Offline
5000 Post Club Member

It's interesting how criticisms start flying from people who haven't heard her performance, simply because she chose to reveal how she learnt the piece for the concert, and people disapproved of her methods......

I heard her performance on August 31st via live BBC Radio 3 broadcast, and thought she did some unusual things that I've not heard from anyone else. In the Proms interview, she admitted that the piece was completely new to her when the invitation from the BBC came, but she took it on because of the challenge, and because it was the Proms. If I hadn't seen the video posted by the OP, I'd still have thought that she came up with everything she did entirely on her own from the score.

BTW, I've got the CD recordings by Philip Fowke (which was the one she liked best and used for her 'study'), as well as those by Jean-Yves Thibaudet and Daniel Adni. Her playing is quite different from any of them.

Nothing wrong with disagreeing with her method of learning a new work from scratch very quickly, if that's against your deeply-held principles, but to equate that with plagiarizing a specific recording (as a few people here have said) is somewhat disingenuous, especially as noone else here seems to have heard both her Proms performance and the recording she was learning from.

#2150604 - 09/15/13 03:46 PM Re: Lisitsa's method for learning a new concerto for BBC Proms [Re: Allan W.]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
Keith: It's part of the game really... I know that I'm sensitive to any criticism, but from a logical point of view, I shouldn't be: I sell my music and my talent. And if I, as a customer, can complaint for any poor service I receive, or any poor product (including a shampoo for example) then so can my own clients, buyers, fans, and whatever...

Of course art is not shampoo, I get that, but the analogy still stands: The person paying you has certain rights!

#2150613 - 09/15/13 03:59 PM Re: Lisitsa's method for learning a new concerto for BBC Proms [Re: Keith D Kerman]
jazzyprof Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Nikolas

You are probably right. She must have either very thick skin or genuinely just not care.

While I'm not a psychologist (I only play one on the internet), my impression from meeting her is that she has pretty high self esteem and does not take herself too seriously. Here she was at the NAAM booth, husband and little son in tow, playing a duet with a nameless amateur like me, chatting freely, sharing anecdotes and practice tips...just like the girl next door sharing something she loves. Whether by accident or by design she has hit upon an amazing way to reach millions around the world by exposing herself (hey, I don't mean that way!) on the internet. This way even total strangers can feel a connection.

#2150784 - 09/15/13 08:39 PM Re: Lisitsa's method for learning a new concerto for BBC Proms [Re: Allan W.]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

The BBC Proms offered several ways of looking at concerts by groups or series, on their website. One was a "Piano and Organ" listing, and Lisitsa's "concerto" appearance was noticeably not on it. I can understand why - it's background music for a movie, after all, and not a real concerto in the usual sense - but I was thinking the BBC might be catching some flak from her fans over that little reminder of status. On thinking about it further, it occurred to me that maybe many of them didn't notice, because they were not interested in piano performances at the Proms in general, and so wouldn't be checking out the list.

I know it doesn't exist, but it would be fascinating see the data on how many individuals either attended or listened to the broadcasts of the concerts of each of the various pianists who played, and especially, to see how many took in more than one, and which ones they were.

#2151037 - 09/16/13 02:55 AM Re: Lisitsa's method for learning a new concerto for BBC Proms [Re: Allan W.]
toyboy Offline

Loc: Vermont
This is a very interesting discussion. Just recently I found myself at the disadvantageous end of a similar one with a teacher, when I told her how I choose music to play. "I will hear something on a CD, find myself loving it and wanting to bring that into my life" I said with all sincerity. And then she waxed prolific how, when growing up, she barely even had LP's, and chose and learned music through the score, and largely heard other musicians in the rare concerts that came around. And she also bemoaned how so many of her students seem to be copying, rather than bringing themselves to the music. Of course it all made me feel spoiled, if not a bit invalid as a pianist. But this discovery about Lisitsa makes me wonder if hers is a valid critique. I certainly don't think Lisitsa is "getting away with something" or should be given a pass just because she concertizes at the level she does, as if there are two sets of rules on how to approach music. That's not being fair to the serious amateur. It's truer to simply say there are all sorts of rules, no? I like the comment that it's hard NOT to bring your own personality to the music. (Of course if your personality is like a spineless amoeba, that's another question.)

I suggest taking Lisitsa at her word. She strikes me as being rather guileless in her whole approach, both to music and to her audience. And, in our deconstructivist age, she seems to be going right along with the idea of revealing secrets and baring all. (Although not as far as Wuja Wang does of course, grin ) At worst she is getting away with very clever marketing.

#2151085 - 09/16/13 07:21 AM Re: Lisitsa's method for learning a new concerto for BBC Proms [Re: toyboy]
pianoloverus Offline

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: toyboy
This is a very interesting discussion. Just recently I found myself at the disadvantageous end of a similar one with a teacher, when I told her how I choose music to play. "I will hear something on a CD, find myself loving it and wanting to bring that into my life" I said with all sincerity. And then she waxed prolific how, when growing up, she barely even had LP's, and chose and learned music through the score, and largely heard other musicians in the rare concerts that came around. And she also bemoaned how so many of her students seem to be copying, rather than bringing themselves to the music. Of course it all made me feel spoiled, if not a bit invalid as a pianist. But this discovery about Lisitsa makes me wonder if hers is a valid critique. I certainly don't think Lisitsa is "getting away with something" or should be given a pass just because she concertizes at the level she does, as if there are two sets of rules on how to approach music. That's not being fair to the serious amateur. It's truer to simply say there are all sorts of rules, no? I like the comment that it's hard NOT to bring your own personality to the music. (Of course if your personality is like a spineless amoeba, that's another question.)
Tell your teacher that listening to and learning from a recording is not the same as copying. Tell her that there is no difference between learning from a recording or learning from her or learning from reading something about a piece of music or learning from a highly edited version of the score done by a great pianist. Tell her that many and perhaps most of the great pianists have recommended listening to other recordings. Tell her that just because she did not have the opportunity to listen to endless recordings of the greatest pianists on YouTube doesn't mean her students shouldn't take advantage of this incredible learning opportunity.

Does anyone seriously think if Lisitsa was asked about her learning method and she was being completely honest she would say "Yes, I blindly copy the recording and have nothing of my own to contribute"?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Ambitious Jazz beginner
by Ruan
Today at 01:10 AM
Is this a real Steinway?
by chernobieff
Yesterday at 11:51 PM
DGX-650 TOPIC
by Jtreimer
Yesterday at 11:24 PM
Janko keyboard video
by Michael Sayers
Yesterday at 08:28 PM
RECOVERING PIANO HAMMERS
by Steinway K
Yesterday at 07:31 PM
Who's Online
73 registered (alfredo capurso, 22 invisible), 1102 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76610 Members
42 Forums
158406 Topics
2326249 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission