2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, Colin Miles, 36251, 13 invisible), 2,156 guests, and 344 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 46 of 47 1 2 44 45 46 47
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Refresh my memory. When does this thing go "live?"

TONIGHT - WITH A SORT OF TRAILER CUM PROGRAMME ON THIS THREAD, AND THEN THE RECITAL STARTS PROPER TOMORROW ON ITS OWN DEDICATED THREAD. IT'LL RUN FOR 10 DAYS - WITH EACH OPUS HAVING A SEPARATE THREAD AND A MASTER THREAD TO GIVE ACCESS THROUGHOUT TO ALL PARTS OF THE RECITAL

I'M GLAD U ASKED, PIANODAD - I'D HATE PEOPLE NOT TO KNOW THIS

Last edited by Dipsy; 09/14/13 12:03 PM.
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
I have been wanting to tell someone in the Grieg recital about a book I use for playing Grieg.

"Onstage with Grieg: Interpreting his Piano Music" by Einar Steen-Nokleberg. You probably know about it already. But it's a wonderful resource for studying Grieg's music.

There is a great review of the book on Amazon.com. I copied it here:
"Nokleberg's book Onstage with Grieg is an excellent reference source for pianists of all levels and abilities. It is the only book of its kind which focuses only on the piano works of Edvard Grieg. Nokleberg who has recorded all of Griegs piano pieces, has provided us here with his ideas on proper interpretation. He draws not only from his personal experience, but from many sources of reference, namely Griegs letters and original prints. By using these sources along with his own ideas the amateur and even professional performer will have a clear and accurate view of the composers true intentions. As he states in the preface, this book is not intended to be read cover to cover, but rather to be used as a guide for whichever piece the pianist is currently attempting to learn. His analysis covers every piano work equally from both an interprative and technical point of view. This book is great for any pianist ready to delve into the wonderful world of Edvard Grieg -- and even better you are assured to be doing the composer justice by using Noklebergs helpful hints!"

Last edited by joangolfing; 09/14/13 02:05 PM.
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
- thanks for the heads up. I've ordered this!

I've been thrilled by Nokleberg's recordings of the Lyric Pieces. I'm sure it will be a fantastic read.

WITH ONE DAY TO GO - THINGS YOU NEVER KNEW (OR FORGOT!) ABOUT THESE RECITALS!

How did it all start?
A few months ago, Rupak reminded us of the first 'recital'- the 5 Metamorphosis pieces by Philip Glass, posted on RST (Rostosky's serious thread):

He said:
Quote:
It starts with Wayne, of course, our official Recruiter laugh (ohh, the context is Wayne, Dipsy and Rossy were struggling with the Metamorphosis series by Philip Glass...)

Originally Posted By: Wayne
Maybe between us, Rossy and whoever else wants to join in, we could do one each, so we do the whole 5, and maybe post it up on PW? Show the talent on RST wink

...Dipsy caught the idea at once smile :
Originally Posted By: Dipsy
That's great Wayne! Both Rossy and I will do one - Rossy wants to do met 4, and I'll learn met 3 (assuming you're happy to do no 2). I'm a bit nervous but looking forward to it.If anyone else wants to prepare something - that would be wonderful, and if the pieces include met 1 and met 5 that would complete the set!. - though of course any piece which people want to share would be welcome, whatever it is.
How about preparing something ready for the beginning of September?

...and what else, Wayne started chasing laugh :
Originally Posted By: Wayne
errr Ok, I'll try, just need to get up to speed... Rossy you gonna do M4 on an accoustic piano?
Come on guys, we need 2 volunteers for M1 and M5! smile [quote]

The 5 pieces were played by Rossy, Wayne33yrs, myself (Dipsy), Recaredo and Rupak Bhattacharya on 16th September last year. People enjoyed this, so next up was Satie's Gymnopedies and Gnossiennes - 10 pieces in all. This was posted on RST in December, and performed by: Wayne33yrs, myself, Rupak Bhattacharya, Recaredo, Griffin, PianoStudent88, Peyton, AimeeO, LadyChen, and dire tonic.

The idea had caught on, and with more people interested in taking part, Mendelssohn's 48 'Songs Without Words' ('the big one'), was selected for the next recital. Unlike the first two, this recital developed an identity of its own. It was nurtured in RST, but once launched, it became clear that it was so big that it needed its own thread. People on RST continued to give lots of support; Wayne continued 'people-hunting' as 'official recruiter;' and when the time came, as before, Rossy (with me helping) put it all together - checking and compiling submissions, and he introduced the recital.

Today's recital
This is nearly half as big again as the Mendelssohn recital. Partly because Rossy stopped working on it, and partly because people wanted to help run the recital, this one is a team effort, which is a new approach, but probably more resilient. There are 34 performers, many of whom have not taken part before. A few have taken on several pieces (the record is 5!) People have participated in more ways than before. Not only have they submitted recordings (and for some this is no mean feat - enormous problems have had to be overcome), but they have also helped with computer problems, given recording advice, supported each other with difficulties in learning pieces, written biographical information (Ganddalf), produced a map of participants (Rupak supported by casinitaly) and worked together to manage the project.

The image below is of you all those who have helped to make this happen. Each one of you is represented by a little light in the world. And if we haven't got your location exactly right, - what's a few hundred miles between friends?! (see end for list of locations). Those of you who had to pull out, because of illness or some other problem - you are there too.

[Linked Image]

The expression: 'The whole is greater than the sum of its parts' applies to this recital, and it is so much more than a collection of performances. We are now a community. People are already asking 'what's next?' and (apart from quiping 'the recital, of course!' - see programme below) I feel there can be no answer as yet, because this community should be involved in deciding that.

I'll leave the last word to Rupak in India who said:

Quote:
And surely, hats off to all of the participants for their precious contributions which involve enormous efforts and intense loves and passions for music! Bravo, everyone, Bravo thumb

GRIEG LYRIC PIECES - RECITAL PROGRAMME

OPUS 12- Sunday, 15th September led by casinitaly
No 1: Arietta AimeeO
No 2: Waltz Saranoya
No 3: Watchman's Song casinitaly
No 4: Elve's Dance LadyChen
No 5: Popular Melody AndyPlatt
No 6: Norwegian Melody Piano*Dad
No 7: Album Leaf Saranoya
No 8: National Song AZ Astro

OPUS 38 - Monday, 16th September led by zrtf90
No 1: Berceuse zrtf90
No 2: Popular Melody Wayne33yrs
No 3: Melody SwissMS
No 4: Halling Piano*Dad
No 5: Spring Dance zrtf90
No 6: Elegy Recaredo
No 7: Waltz Dipsy
No 8: Canon dynamobt

OPUS 43 - Tuesday, 17th September led by peterws
No 1: Butterfly Morodiene
No 2: Solitary Traveller Wisebuff
No 3: In My Native Country Allard
No 4: Little Bird peterws
No 5: Erotik peterws
No 6: To the Spring Carey

OPUS 47 Wednesday, 18th September led by PianoStudent88
No I: Valse Impromptu SwissMs
No 2: Album Leaf Ganddalf
No 3: Melody Dipsy
No 4: Halling Carlos88
No 5: Melancholy Stumbler
No 6: Spring Dance peterws
No 7: Elegy PianoStudent88

OPUS 54 Thursday 19th September led by zrtf90
No 1: Shepherd's Boy patH
No 2: Norwegian March zrtf90
No 3: March of the Trolls zrtf90
No 4: Notturno Dipsy
No 5: Scherzo patH
No 6: Bell Ringing Sinophilia

OPUS 57 Friday, 20th September -led by PianoStudent88
No 1: Vanished Days dire tonic
No 2: Gade SamS
No 3: Illusion PianoStudent88
No 4: Secret Carey
No 5: She Dances dire tonic
No 6: Home Sickness SamS

OPUS 62 Saturday 21st September - led by Dipsy
No 1: Sylph dire tonic
No 2: Gratitude SamS
No 3: French Serenade Morodiene
No 4: Brooklet Morodiene
No 5: Phantom Pavel.K
No 6: Homeward hawgdriver

OPUS 65 Sunday 22nd September - led by PianoStudent88
No 1: From Early Years Morodiene
No 2: Peasant's Song Wisebuff
No 3: Melancholy PianoStudent88
No 4: Salon Ganddalf
No 5: Ballad Rupak Bhattacharya
No 6: Wedding Day at Troldhaugen Ganddalf

OPUS 68 Monday, 23rd September - led by dire tonic
No 1: Sailor's Song Valencia
No 2: Grandmother's minuet LadyChen
No 3: At Your Feet dire tonic
No 4: Evening in the mountains LimeFriday
No 5: Cradle Song Carey
No 6: Melancholy Waltz Carey

OPUS 71 Tuesday, 24th September, led by AnneH
No 1: Once upon a time AnneH
No 2: Summer Evening Farmgirl
No 3: Puck Farmgirl
No 4: Peace of the Woods Valencia
No 5: Halling Morodiene
No 6: Gone keystring
No 7: Remembrances dynamobt

People involved come from:New Orleans USA; Brussels, Belgium; Milan, Italy; Canada; Virginia, USA; Williamsburg Virginia, USA; Ireland; Sheffield, UK; Switzerland; Southeast Spain; New Hampshire, USA; SW Wales;Denver Colorado,USA; Amsterdam, Netherlands; England;Phoenix,Arizona; Norway(2); Colorado; Maine; Toronto, Ontario, Canada; Verona,Italy; Germany(2);Southern England(4);Georgia, USA; Czech Republic; Boynton Beach, Florida, USA; West Bengal, India;Australia

*Rossy is sorely missed by many, so we hope to see him on PW again soon!

Last edited by Dipsy; 09/15/13 07:55 AM.
sorry folks - some technical probs - hope to sort out the formatting

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Dipsy
sorry folks - some technical probs - hope to sort out the formatting

It shows ok on my screen Dipsy.

Lovey intro!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Ican hardly wait for this to start!!! I know everyone has worked very hard on these pieces. Even the easy looking pieces ended up with nuances that made them difficult to play well. Congratulations everyone who participated!!!! This was fun and very motivating over the summer. Can't wait to see what's next!!

1918 Mason & Hamlin BB
1906 Mason & Hamlin Es
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I do love that map of the world; I believe such a image inspires lots of hopeful thoughts.

M
M
Love the map! That is very cool to see. It would be great to see in the future if some of the conspicuously missing countries could participate in future recitals too! smile

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
That's a great Intro Dipsey wink x You're doing an amazing job xxx <3 Really looking forward to this smile

V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
Yay!! So exciting! Thank you for the map and intro Dipsy! Love the lights! heart

glad you liked it - its a shame I forgot to put the dates into the programme at the end!

Last edited by Dipsy; 09/15/13 06:39 AM.

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Dipsy
glad you liked it - its a shame I forgot to put the dates into the programme at the end!

I added them in smile

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

thanks Cheryl!

Morodiene - I agree -there are too many countries without anyone taking part! wouldn't it be great if it went truly 'global'!?

Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
As much as I understand the global thinking I'd rather see greater participation of ABF forum regulars. It's a shame to think that some of our fellows here are watching on helplessly and uninvolved as we tackle the challenges, enjoy the interaction, feel the buzz of participation and enjoy the fruits of it all coming together.

There is little that improves our technique and ability on the instrument more than the focus of preparing something for public consumption and little that increases the bonds between us better than a joint venture.

Despite the differences between us in terms of ability, distance, culture and personality this Grieg thing has acted like a drawstring bringing us all together with a common goal and a joint achievement.

Richard
M
M
Originally Posted by zrtf90
As much as I understand the global thinking I'd rather see greater participation of ABF forum regulars. It's a shame to think that some of our fellows here are watching on helplessly and uninvolved as we tackle the challenges, enjoy the interaction, feel the buzz of participation and enjoy the fruits of it all coming together.

There is little that improves our technique and ability on the instrument more than the focus of preparing something for public consumption and little that increases the bonds between us better than a joint venture.

Despite the differences between us in terms of ability, distance, culture and personality this Grieg thing has acted like a drawstring bringing us all together with a common goal and a joint achievement.

Well-said, and I agree. For me, these recitals have been a great challenge and forced me to stretch myself when it's so much easier for me to just putter along and not get pieces to performance level before moving on.

I hope others in the future give it a try!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by keystring; 09/15/13 11:37 AM.
M
M
Just wanted to post here that I'm thoroughly enjoying my daily listening routine of the Grieg Lyric Pieces. I have found a bunch of new ones I want to learn, but I had previously picked my next challenge which is the Grieg Holberg Suite. Originally written for piano, I had fallen in love with this many years back after hearing the Preludium on Public radio. I know that the Preludium and the Rigadoun will be quite the challenge, and upon first listening the Sarabande and Gavotte aren't terribly interesting, but I love the Air. For now, though, I'll just focus on the Preludium.

Thank you to everyone for sharing your talents and toils with us all!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

I added a Grieg thumbnail pic to the Upload Pictures library here on Piano World.

If you include the following line in your signature, you will see the thumbnail of Grieg that shows you were a participant in the Grieg Recital.

[ img]http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/gallery/42/thumbs/2529.jpg[/img]

Copy this line into your signature and remove the space in front of the three letters img to active the picture.

Now I've just got to figure out how to get them on the same line... heh he

Last edited by AZ_Astro; 04/06/14 02:12 PM.

Kawai KG-5. Korg SP-250. Software pianos: Garritan CFX, Ivory II, Ivory Am D, Ravenscroft, Galaxy Vintage D, Alicia's Keys, et al.
[Linked Image]
Page 46 of 47 1 2 44 45 46 47

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission