Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
69 registered (allakart, AZNpiano, AtlantisHero, AnimistFvR, 15 invisible), 1075 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2150272 - 09/14/13 10:07 PM What to do about the narrow score holders on some digitals
BillTheSlink Offline

Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Hay guys.

One problem with those slab pianos is the removable score holder. While it's OK for holding a book like a method book, has anyone come up with a solution for when you have a lot of pages and haven't memorized a piece and are trying to keep the music going past page two? To be honest these things aren't the best anyway as they need clips built into them to hold a bound book open that's always wanting to close. I don't know why they can't build in ten cent wires or clips of some sort.
Currently I am without a piano, but when I get mine back I will be working on "The Complete Piano Player", as well as Neely's "How to Play from a Fake Book. I am spending my time working on theory and learning how to construct chords currently.

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2150275 - 09/14/13 10:24 PM Re: What to do about the narrow score holders on some digitals [Re: BillTheSlink]
leel Offline

Loc: Lacey WA
I copy the pages and hole punch them , thn put it in a loose leaf binder. Works for me!

#2150290 - 09/14/13 11:07 PM Re: What to do about the narrow score holders on some digitals [Re: BillTheSlink]
Michael_99 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada Alberta
BillTheSlink, I have read your post, here:

Hay guys.

One problem with those slab pianos is the removable score holder. While it's OK for holding a book like a method book, has anyone come up with a solution for when you have a lot of pages and haven't memorized a piece and are trying to keep the music going past page two? To be honest these things aren't the best anyway as they need clips built into them to hold a bound book open that's always wanting to close. I don't know why they can't build in ten cent wires or clips of some sort.

Currently I am without a piano, but when I get mine back I will be working on "The Complete Piano Player", as well as Neely's "How to Play from a Fake Book. I am spending my time working on theory and learning how to construct chords currently.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

BillTheSlink, there are a lot of things that I love about my two digital pianos the sound and the action. One is a Clavinova that weighs a ton and is 30 years old and the other one is a P95 slab that weighs 26 pounds and it, too, has a great sound and great action. But those digitals are very bad in two very bad ways - height of the keyboards and height of the music stands.

For the keyboards - I have put pieces of wood to get the keyboards the right height.

For the music stand - it was perfect for me because I used to play sax and with a sax I needed a stand for my music so I had a couple of black Manhassets in my garage covered in dirt and grime thinking I had no use for them - but I was wrong. I put them both at middle C and raised them to perfect hight. And to me it is the height of my eyes - so I am 6' - and am old so I am shrinking daily and my eyes are just below the top of my head - you can do the math - because that is the hight that my secondhand 3 legged piano music stand is at and it is an awesome music stand. The funny thing is that there is this piano rule that is to never be broken and that is the rule that you are to only look at your music and not at your hands - but on the digitals the music stands and keyboards are so close to your navel and closer to your hands which you are not supposed to be looking at.

cheers,

6S14DMS

I understand your comments here >>>

I have been playing 2 years and for the first time since, I haven't played the piano for 30 days because I had health issues that prevented me from fixing my leaking roof in the kitchen since 2008 and I couldn't clean up the yard or the shack because when I played scales - I would get too weak - just joking -- actually, as I said some health issues but just in the last 30 days I have had enough energy to fix the roof and clean up stuff and only tonight I was reviewing my pieces and trying to keep the wrong notes to a low level. I would run my fingers - across the high end of the piano about an octave almost every day because it was a great sound to my ears in the morning - like you would pet a cat if you had one - looking after me is a fulltime job and I don't necessarily do a very good job of it so it would be unfair to have any animal under my care - so I don't have any animals.

Edited by Michael_99 (09/14/13 11:13 PM)

#2150291 - 09/14/13 11:10 PM Re: What to do about the narrow score holders on some digitals [Re: BillTheSlink]
tangleweeds Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012

Loc: Portlandia
Yes, even my totally cheapo folding music stand (that I use for playing recorders) has wire clips to hold the music open.

Fortunately our household was well supplied with clothes pins, which work excellently for clipping sheet music to my meagre DP music stand (we officially used them for clipping shut half-eaten bags of chips, or half-used bags of pasta).

But eventually I moved up to a set of sheet music clips that resemble clothes pins at the end you pinch, but whose jaws are looooong, and have one side made of clear plexiglass. I think they're made for playing out in the wind, but they're also very useful for taming sheet music with annoying bindings ("perfect binding" my @$$).

A picture is worth a thousand words.

neglected piano blog

#2150293 - 09/14/13 11:13 PM Re: What to do about the narrow score holders on some digitals [Re: BillTheSlink]
tangleweeds Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012

Loc: Portlandia
What is making this page so wide? I can't find any endless URLs...

neglected piano blog

#2150314 - 09/15/13 12:43 AM Re: What to do about the narrow score holders on some digitals [Re: tangleweeds]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
It may be the length of the title . . .

Concerning piano music stands, make your own. I have a full weidth affair on mine. Picture on "Photos - I`ll show you mine . . . ." It`s easy and fun to do; particularly the paint match . . not!

Edited by peterws (09/15/13 12:46 AM)

""

#2150329 - 09/15/13 01:29 AM Re: What to do about the narrow score holders on some digitals [Re: tangleweeds]
peekay Offline

Originally Posted By: tangleweeds
What is making this page so wide? I can't find any endless URLs...

Long string of underscores in Michael_99's post.

I've taped several pages together before placing them on the music stand...

Edited by peekay (09/15/13 01:49 AM)

#2150365 - 09/15/13 03:31 AM Re: What to do about the narrow score holders on some digitals [Re: BillTheSlink]
Tubbie0075 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Another solution is get a sturdy and big music stand and place it behind the digital piano. Most music stands have foldable "sticks" on the top or bottom sides to hold books opened.

#2150418 - 09/15/13 07:20 AM Re: What to do about the narrow score holders on some digitals [Re: BillTheSlink]
Roger Ransom Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: SouthWest Michigan
I bought an add on music desk for my Roland FP7 and it solved the problem.

Adapt-a-stand

I actually ended up buying the Adapt-a-stand II for it's adjusting feature. I just had to modify it slightly.

I put it on the keyboard with some Velcro and I love it. I don't lay it on the music desk like they suggest for the standard one. I can lay out 6 pages flat and it actually looks good too. The keyboard needs a somewhat flat surface on top to mount it.

I called them before I bought it and they were very helpful with deciding if it would work for me.

Anyway, it solved the problem for me.

Edited by Roger Ransom (09/15/13 07:23 AM)

#2150548 - 09/15/13 02:01 PM Re: What to do about the narrow score holders on some digitals [Re: BillTheSlink]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
I have a stand built with wood by the previous owner of my keyboard. It works good.

I also thought about this. I like it.
Music Stand

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!

Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Are there any upright owners who leave the front open?
by harpon
11/29/14 01:00 AM
They don't call him the 'Poet of the Piano' for nothing!
by JoelW
11/28/14 11:53 PM
Steinway rebuild question
by schlaigs
11/28/14 10:00 PM
Baldwin Hamilton Hammer Butt and Back Stop Leather
by Ryan Hassell
11/28/14 09:55 PM
Please help me to find out the pattern of this Cdim7
by SZ54
11/28/14 08:12 PM
Forum Stats
77083 Members
42 Forums
159435 Topics
2342072 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission