2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
30 members (Animisha, brennbaer, Cominut, crab89, aphexdisklavier, fullerphoto, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 4 invisible), 1,182 guests, and 269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
This week's assignment is to compare and contrast your choice of early sonata with sonata #4, opus 7.

If you're doing the assignments, which sonata have you chosen and why?

I have chosen sonata #1 in F minor, for not much more reason than that it's first (apart from Opus 49).

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
F
FSO Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
I chose the Pathetique simply because I really like it and, of course, because it's one Gould recorded....shush you laugh
Xxx

Sometimes, we all just need to be shown a little kindness <3
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
I chose Op 27 No 1 because it's such a contrast to Op 7. And I really like it! grin

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
I think the point is not which sonata you chose, but how good your analysis and comparison is.

By the way, is Mr Biss going to be grading 32 thousand homework assignments every week? grin

Regards,

Polyphonist
Opus 14, No. 2, because it's the only one I have performed.

Anyone else still working on the report? I'm so slow when it comes to writing.

I'd rather be practicing wink
Kawai K-3, Roland FP-7F
Now: Brahms Op. 118, Bach French Suite #5
Originally Posted by ChrisKeys
I chose Op 27 No 1 because it's such a contrast to Op 7. And I really like it! grin

Chris, are you sure that was on the "first thirteen" list according to Prof. Biss? I thought it included Nos. 1-11 and the two Leichte Sonaten, based on composition date rather than opus order.

Kawai K-3, Roland FP-7F
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Polyphonist
I think the point is not which sonata you chose, but how good your analysis and comparison is.

By the way, is Mr Biss going to be grading 32 thousand homework assignments every week? grin

No, it's peer-graded. That makes it hit-or-miss, but oh well...

And you're right, but since each sonata is so individual, it's fun discussing which one we picked/why we picked it.

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
I think the main value of the assignment is taking the time to think about it. Any feedback you get from the peer grading will be gravy.

[ETA: jmcintyre, I've barely started on the assignment. I've been listening to the sonatas (my choice #1 and Biss' choice #4) and now have to turn to the score to check my ideas. I have notes from the lectures so I'll be going through those point by point asking myself "same or different?" But I'm a fast writer, once I have my thoughts and evidence assembled.]

Polyphonist, I find it of interest why people choose the sonata they chose. Hence my question. After the due date, I'll be interested to hear what people discovered that they felt was interesting or notable.

Last edited by PianoStudent88; 09/15/13 01:17 PM.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

For what it's worth Chris,

You're supposed to pick one of the early sonatas, what he calls "the first 13 sonatas". It's a bit confusing the way he's referring to the numbering, but he means sonatas 1-11, 19, or 20. (19 and 20 were written in the same time period as the first 11.)

op.27/1 (sonata #13) is one of the "experimental" sonatas he's going to be talking about in the third week.

-J

Originally Posted by Orange Soda King
And you're right, but since each sonata is so individual, it's fun discussing which one we picked/why we picked it.

So what'd you pick, OSK?

Kawai K-3, Roland FP-7F
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jmcintyre
Originally Posted by Orange Soda King

So what'd you pick, OSK?

Op. 22. One, because I played it. But also, I love it the most out of all the early sonatas. smile

C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by beet31425

You're supposed to pick one of the early sonatas, what he calls "the first 13 sonatas". It's a bit confusing the way he's referring to the numbering, but he means sonatas 1-11, 19, or 20. (19 and 20 were written in the same time period as the first 11.)

op.27/1 (sonata #13) is one of the "experimental" sonatas he's going to be talking about in the third week.

-J

You know, I was carefully counting to make sure that Op.27 No 1 was among the first 13. But I had completely forgotten about his inclusion of the Op 49 sonatas among the first 13. (Sigh) Now I'll need to go back and pick another! Ironically I had originally chosen the Pastorale sonata #15, Op 28. Time to pick it up again. Thanks for catching this for me.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

-J

You know, I was carefully counting to make sure that Op.27 No 1 was among the first 13. But I had completely forgotten about his inclusion of the Op 49 sonatas among the first 13. (Sigh) Now I'll need to go back and pick another! Ironically I had originally chosen the Pastorale sonata #15, Op 28. Time to pick it up again. Thanks for catching this for me.

No problem, though when you say "time to pick it up again", I hope you don't mean you're going to choose op.28, because that's not one of the early ones either!

The larger point is this: Sonata op.22 (usually called #11, but maybe here Biss is calling it "the 13th sonata", I don't know) is usually looked on as Beethoven's last "early" sonata. One that looks back and embraces all the traditional forms. The next ones-- including op.27 and 28-- become more experimental in different ways, and perhaps begin Beethoven's "middle" period.

Good luck--

-J

C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
No, picking a different one: Op 10 No 3 in D major, (#7).

B
B
I picked Op. 2 No. 2 in A Major because I've lately been falling in love with it and wanted to be more familiar with it! I've played Op. 7 but never Op. 2 No. 2 although one of these days I'd like to...

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bellamusica
I picked Op. 2 No. 2 in A Major because I've lately been falling in love with it and wanted to be more familiar with it! I've played Op. 7 but never Op. 2 No. 2 although one of these days I'd like to...

I've been working on it all summer, and now it's coming together. The first movement is tough because it moves so rapidly. The Largo is astonishing, and it's unlike anything else Beethoven wrote, especially in its coda (which lasts for 1/3 of the piece!). And the last movement-- beautiful, graceful, a little rambling-- is a lot of fun to lose yourself in.

-Jason

B
B

I've been working on it all summer, and now it's coming together. The first movement is tough because it moves so rapidly. The Largo is astonishing, and it's unlike anything else Beethoven wrote, especially in its coda (which lasts for 1/3 of the piece!). And the last movement-- beautiful, graceful, a little rambling-- is a lot of fun to lose yourself in.

-Jason

That's great (I'm jealous)! You should add Op. 7 to your Beethoven journey... it's very rewarding to play. The last movement is a bit similar in some ways to that of 2/2 - grazioso, charming, and utterly delightful! smile

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

-Jason

That's great (I'm jealous)! You should add Op. 7 to your Beethoven journey... it's very rewarding to play. The last movement is a bit similar in some ways to that of 2/2 - grazioso, charming, and utterly delightful! smile

Yes, op.7 is awesome. I was thinking of including it, and I talked about it with my teacher... but I finally decided that the last movement was, indeed, a little too much like 2/2's, and I wanted more overall opus number variety (instead of doing large-scale sonatas from "opera" 2 and 4)

-J

B
B

-Jason

Yes, op.7 is awesome. I was thinking of including it, and I talked about it with my teacher... but I finally decided that the last movement was, indeed, a little too much like 2/2's, and I wanted more overall opus number variety (instead of doing large-scale sonatas from "opera" 2 and 4)

-J

Ah, well that's a good plan. Impossible to go wrong choosing any of the Beethoven sonatas!

Jason - you've some really wonderful sonatas. I wish I had the energy to learn lots of Beethoven: for me, at least, it's absolutely excruciating to wrap my hands around his music, and polishing it? nightmarish! I suppose it's like Bach or Schoenberg: the deeper you explore, the more beauties you see - and the more clearly you perceive your flaws.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission