Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2150385 - 09/15/13 05:00 AM Need an advice, which piano to buy?
Karol Offline

Hi,
I consider buying new piano. My daughter attends to music school. She's 6th grade now and still practise on old, shattered piano. I decided to buy something better (it's for many years, isn't it?). I was looking for Kawai K3 , K5 or Yamaha U1 maybe U3 (but it's really expensive). Two days ago I was in shop with used pianos and I was playing Kawai BS-2A. It costs 4150$ (before negatiations). I've read almost whole Internet, but I didn't find useful informations about BS-2A. Now is the question. Is it worth it? Is it comparable to the pianos like Kawai K3, K5, or Yamaha U1? I have to admit that it has fantastic tone and it's in really good condition. Owners of the shop I mentioned imports pianos from Japan, refurbish them and fix everything, so it's like new. For comparison I'll add that Yamaha U3 costs there 5400$.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Karol

Edited by Karol (09/15/13 05:01 AM)

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2150443 - 09/15/13 08:33 AM Re: Need an advice, which piano to buy? [Re: Karol]
Mark Polishook Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Leicester, UK
Karol,

I'll suggest some general advice. I don't have experience w/the pianos you've mentioned to say anything about them. So I'll mention that first. My general advice, from my own experience of just buying a piano is try as many pianos as you can and visit as many dealers as possible. Of course, this comes down to where you live and what's close enough to visit.

I also found it to be helpful to try pianos that were above my price range - as a way to get knowledge about pianos in general. I found this to be very helpful in understanding what I was seeing (and hearing and feeling) in the range I was looking for.

The most valuable lesson for me came from working with a good dealer. By "good dealer" I mean an individual or a business that's responsive to you and the needs that you state and also concerns that you might have. You will probably be in touch with the dealer for some time into the future because the piano will require service in the months and years after you acquire it. So what I'm suggesting is a long-range view to process rather than a short range view of piano only can be really helpful.

You may have already done all above. So I'm just saying in case it's helpful. Good luck in the search!

#2150586 - 09/15/13 03:21 PM Re: Need an advice, which piano to buy? [Re: Karol]
Karol Offline

Thank you for really helpful advices.
I've visited as many dealers as I could and tried a lot of pianos.
Kawai BS-2A is really good. As I said tone is fantastic and it's in brilliant condition.
I was looking some infromation about it in the Internet and I didn't found anything. There's no any info about this piano on Kawai's site. I wonder if this is not a piano on chinese market? I'm looking for someone who know Kawai BS series and can tell me what is the class of this upright piano.
Thanks for all your responses.

Karol

#2150619 - 09/15/13 04:12 PM Re: Need an advice, which piano to buy? [Re: Karol]
supersport Online   content

Loc: Arkansas
Karol,

I am not familiar with the BS-2A, but have you used the search function on this page to see what you can find out about it? The results may be more specific information.

#2150643 - 09/15/13 05:00 PM Re: Need an advice, which piano to buy? [Re: Karol]
Karol Offline

Yes I have. I've researched whole forum and whole Internet as I mentioned in my first post.

Edited by Karol (09/15/13 05:02 PM)

#2150703 - 09/15/13 06:40 PM Re: Need an advice, which piano to buy? [Re: Karol]
Mark Polishook Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Leicester, UK
Karol,

I typed "Kawai BS-2A" into the search box on the top left of this page and a ton of links came up.

Here's the URL that has them all listed.

http://www.pianoworld.com/searchresults.html?cx=partner-pub-3828295670381575%3A8979922837&cof=FORID%3A9&ie=UTF-8&q=Kawai+BS-2A&sa=SEARCH&siteurl=www.pianoworld.com%2Fforum%2Fubbthreads.php%2Fubb%2Fshowflat%2FNumber%2F2150385%2Fgonew%2F1%2FNeed%2520an%2520advice%2C%2520which%2520piano%2520to.html%23UNREAD&ref=www.pianoworld.com%2Fforum%2Fubbthreads.php%2Fforums%2F1%2F1%2FPiano%2520Forum.html&ss=7j49j2

Hope this helps -

#2150716 - 09/15/13 07:01 PM Re: Need an advice, which piano to buy? [Re: Karol]
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: Karol
Thank you for really helpful advices.
I've visited as many dealers as I could and tried a lot of pianos.
Kawai BS-2A is really good. As I said tone is fantastic and it's in brilliant condition.
I was looking some infromation about it in the Internet and I didn't found anything. There's no any info about this piano on Kawai's site. I wonder if this is not a piano on chinese market? I'm looking for someone who know Kawai BS series and can tell me what is the class of this upright piano.
Thanks for all your responses.

Karol
Unless you are a highly experienced pianist or piano technician judging the tone and condition of a used piano quite difficult and risky. So if you really like this piano you should find a knowledgeable and independent(from the dealer)tech to tell you about the piano's condition.

If you tell us where you live other posters can probably help you find a good tech in your area and suggest piano dealerships you may not have already visited. Another important piece of information to help posters give you advice is the year the piano was built(or alternatively the serial number).

Edited by pianoloverus (09/15/13 07:12 PM)

#2151333 - 09/16/13 02:08 PM Re: Need an advice, which piano to buy? [Re: Karol]
BOREGARD Offline

Karol: The reason you cannot find any information on a Kawaii BS-2A is that it is not intended for sale in the US. Sounds like to me you are dealing with a gray market dealer at these prices. These dealers import used Yamahas and Kawaiis from Japan, have them "refurbished," and then sell them at very deep discounts to new Yamahas and Kawaiis. Nothing wrong with that per se, but remember you are not only buying a piano but you are buying the service that goes with it from the dealer. Gray market dealers are notorious for "here today and gone tomorrow." And with gray market pianos you could possibly run into servicing and parts availability problems in the future even with a private technician since parts will not be shipped by Kawaii and Yamaha without a legitimate serial number. That number reveals whether or not the piano was made for the US market. I'm not saying that there aren't some good gray market pianos out there. I am saying that customer support is important to and you may not get any from a gray market dealer. Personally I would stay away from a gray market dealer. I've been (almost) seduced into the gray market purchase as well. After some good advice I steered away from it. Gook luck.

#2151335 - 09/16/13 02:14 PM Re: Need an advice, which piano to buy? [Re: BOREGARD]
terminaldegree Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: western Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: BOREGARD
Gray market dealers are notorious for "here today and gone tomorrow." And with gray market pianos you could possibly run into servicing and parts availability problems in the future even with a private technician since parts will not be shipped by Kawaii and Yamaha without a legitimate serial number.

Although grey/gray market pianos aren't right for everyone and every situation, I disagree with your reasoning as to why. Two of the more "stable" dealerships I know in the area sell them, and they comment how good their importer/refurbisher is with warranty support when it is needed. I have also not read many problems from technicians who are unable to source parts for the Yamaha and Kawai pianos they service, regardless of origin, either.
Casio px-200, Bechstein A190 #192939 @ home
Steinway A #585209, B #416809 @ work
Schimmel 130T #339100, on loan

#2152047 - 09/17/13 10:54 AM Re: Need an advice, which piano to buy? [Re: Karol]
Karol Offline

Thanks very much for all responses.
Familiar and independent tuner had have a look on this piano and said that it's in very good condition, and has rich sound. He recommended me to buy this instrument.
I negotiated some discount. 3800$ with 5 years guarantee. On Friday I'm going to the dealer and I'll decide.
Thanks for help. Best regards

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Sight-reading books or resources for a beginner?
by Giancarlo Robles
10/22/14 10:52 AM
Typical % markup on price dealer pays for a piano
by pianoloverus
10/22/14 10:24 AM
calling all users of Ivory II American D
by dire tonic
10/22/14 08:29 AM
Staying in one position for too long - tension
by DeadPoets
10/22/14 06:07 AM
Cleaning strings
by PhilipInChina
10/22/14 05:10 AM
Who's Online
141 registered (anotherscott, ajames, anamnesis, ando, A Guy, 36 invisible), 1603 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76610 Members
42 Forums
158412 Topics
2326339 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission