2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, 13 invisible), 2,022 guests, and 322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Just throwing out an idea for a themed recital I would like to see.....

The Great American Songbook

Very broad category
Encompasses several subgenres
Tons of written scores and arrangements
Accessible to all levels of player

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I want to book three selections now for the Schumann recital!

Einsame Blumen - Freundliche Landschaft - Abschied
all from Op. 82

These are chosen because of the non-standard tempos and interpretations that will be used, is this okay?

M.

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member
I'm in a Starbucks in Berlin and I can't read the whole thread right now, but I would love to be in the next themed recital! Only thing is, I'm afraid there is nothing by Joplin that I can learn in just a few months frown

6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JimF

Very broad category

+1!

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
I like the idea of Schumann or Bartok, as those have such a huge range there. Not opposed to Einaudi, or maybe doing a Rag theme (not sure if there's enough Joplin to go around that is doable for everyone, but certainly there are rags written for every level).

Personally, however, I do like to be challenged. I know that playing any piece for a recital is a challenge in itself, but I'm always trying to push myself technically. Not really sure what the Great American Songbook thing would mean.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member
F
+1 for Bartok

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
I meant my comments to be a way of ensuring that participation is encouraged, and I regret if they came off as trying to restrict participation.

There seems to be a great deal of enthusiasm for Joplin, and I like the idea of doing recitals with varying genres so that people who may have opted out of previous recitals find something they do want to participate in.

The recitals so far have mostly originated from a small crew -- even this latest recital organized by Dipsy who inherited the mantle from Rostosky, and the rest of us opleds pitching in in support of that vision. It's great to see the idea and organization spreading.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by Sam S
Originally Posted by JimF

Very broad category

+1!

Sam

+2

great stuff in there, a REAL treasure trove.

Forrest

Mompou, Cancion y Danza #6
some Chopin, some Bach (always), Debussy
My beliefs are only that unless I can prove them.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I like the idea of Schumann or Bartok as well, because they both have easier pieces that could involve beginners as well as more challenging pieces. I like the idea of having something for everyone.

I am not familiar with "The Great American Songbook", but if it also has a range of ability levels, I would vote for that as well.

A
A
Not a fan of ragtime, but listening at least a little couldn't hurt. Would much prefer classical or new age. Einaudi, Lanz laugh But like jotur said, I don't have to participate if it's not my kind of music. There will be more recitals.

David Lanz - Skyline Firedance Suite
Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy 7 Main Theme
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jotur
I think that would be fun. I wouldn't mind revisiting Bethena, or learning Binks Waltz.
Thanks for thinking of it.

Will Einaudi be next? smile
Cathy
Same question smile

I think the idea of a Joplin recital would be very cool - I don't think I can play anything of his - but I'll enjoy listening.
Same for me: +1 thumb

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
Perhaps 'involvement' would have been a better word (than 'consultation')..

I agree with you Richard - if the theme were broadened to 'anything ragtime' there would be something for people looking for something easier. And I also like the idea of the Great American songbook.

To me, though the music selected for the next themed recital is less important than how the recital is put together.
I think there are 2 key 'ingredients' in this current Grieg themed recital which should ideally feature in future ones (though I'm sure some may disagree!), because they are largely responsible for its success.

(1) The aim should be to prepare a complete body of work, clearly defined at the outset. That way, everyone knows how many pieces there are, and the list to choose from. This creates an immediate objective for everyone to focus on, and encourages people to develop a sense of shared commitment/interest. As pieces are selected, inevitably some are more popular than others, and then people dig deep to try to take on the remaining pieces. And that 'digging deep' - encouraging some to take on more, agreeing to take on more, even offering up/swapping pieces to help the team effort, all help foster the community spirit.

If people were to play duplicates, I fear that only the popular pieces would be chosen - again and again - leaving the unpopular ones with no one to play them. And its hard enough as it is to get people to choose the unpopular ones! (Oddly, often when people have done this, they have been surprised at how much they have enjoyed preparing a piece which they wouldn't otherwise have done).

(2) The level of involvement and communication between people is important. If there is an automated way of selecting pieces or submitting them, I think it would cut out a lot of the communication between members, which has been one of the most rewarding and inspiring aspects of this recital. As Richard pointed out, this time, we got 'a knowledge of each other beyond the piano' (helped by the opled system) - and much more of a sense of being in a community. If individuals simply had to pick a piece, then submit it using some automated system, although this would be highly efficient and cut out the work involved, there would be nothing to encourage them to get to know their fellow participants. And although us opleds have had to work hard, nurturing our 'batches', it has been very rewarding.

Having a less automated system also gives people an opportunity to make a wider contribution if they wish. People who are not comfortable taking on more pieces often have other skills and experience to offer. Its about putting faith in each other, rather than a system, to deliver the whole work.

(It feels a bit like comparing 5 members of a family going into a sweet shop, each taking the sweets they like, and leaving, not talking to anyone; and those same 5 people sitting around a table with a pie on it cut into different sized slices, and then deciding as a group who will have what so that everyone gets something).

Please see my post on p31 of the Grieg recital - a proposal thread for the different ways people got involved, and my thoughts on the community which emerged.

Last edited by Dipsy; 09/16/13 11:19 AM.
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Might it be worth subdividing The Great American Songbook? It's too large to be thematic.

possible categories:-

Film music and/or musicals
Gershwin + Porter + Berlin and contempories.
Aaa-Czz (8 or 9 recitals there)
By decade 20s, 30s etc.

..and other possible subdivisions.

P
P
I love many songs from the Great American Songbook!

So, basically, is the Great American Songbook the well-known songs of Cole Porter, Gershwin, Irving Berlin and other songwriters of the 1920s, '30s, and '40s?

I would like to see duplicates, too, because I think there are many different arrangements of sheet music of these songs, and different levels from beginner to advanced, plus arrangements by members who do their own arranging.

Great idea! I love the Joplin idea, too.

"[Linked Image]"
P
P
I'd be interested in a Joplin/ragtime themed recital! I've played around a little with ragtime--it's fun to play and a recital would give me incentive to really work on a piece.
Just wondering if mp3s would be okay.
Thanks!

"[Linked Image]"
P
P
Derulux,
I'd love to hear your ragtime on any piano! Fun!

If the recital gets going, I'd love to hear any tips you have for playing ragtime, too. Actually, I'd love to hear them anyway! smile

In my lessons, classical music is the only kind of music the teacher teaches, but I'd love to learn more about other types of music, too.

"[Linked Image]"
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Wow, such enthusiasm!

I can go for any of the following:

All Joplin, and only one submission per piece. I'd even do one of the obscure/not likely to be chosen/harder ones just to get it filled out. It's not likely I could play it "as written", or "at tempo" laugh , but I already play a couple of Joplin, and I'm sure you folks would put up with me laugh

All Joplin, dupes and easy arrangements allowed. Neither bothers me, I like Joplin.

All ragtime - I think this would be a great option. I've heard a little ragtime in the quarterly recitals from modern composers - maybe Martha Mier? - that write for beginners and intermediates, and they were great fun.

Great American Songbook - love this, too. It's the music I play most often, and as JimF says, there's a ton of choices of both tunes and arrangements.

MP3's allowed - I don't usually watch the videos, and, for me, they really don't add anything. I know others feel differently, but I like hearing the music.

I understand the "more automated, less community" feeling - there are folks who only show up to put in a recording, and one never hears anything else from them. But - I'm not sure about using the "less automated" to insure commitment and community. So I'll waffle on that one smile

I don't mind having a variety of kinds of themed or other recitals - I think each can stand on its own - automated, not automated, classical, not classical, restricted to a smaller body of work, anything from a large body of work, wide open quarterly or monthly piano bar - whatever there's a quorum for. All of those work for me.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
M
M
I really like the concept of doing an entire body of work (Songs Without Words, Lyric Pieces). Sure I can sit down and listen to some guy or gal who played all of these and recorded them, but it's so much cooler to hear individuals who I "know" or will get to know that contributed to what is otherwise a monumental effort by one person. Something charming about that which adds a sense of belonging to a group that appeals to me.

Plus, so often (but not always ) when you listen to one person doing the whole shebang inevitably there are some that sound like the person was getting tired of the project and just pushed through it without much thought or expression. Here, each person is selecting a piece or two or five to put their heart and soul into, and that really comes across.

So if the scope is too wide, like a genre or style, then I think we lose the concept of doing a complete body of work. I'm sure whatever is decided upon, though, it will still have the heart and soul of those participating. smile

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

I don't mind having a variety of kinds of themed or other recitals - I think each can stand on its own - automated, not automated, classical, not classical, restricted to a smaller body of work, anything from a large body of work, wide open quarterly or monthly piano bar - whatever there's a quorum for. All of those work for me.

Cathy

You can't get any more flexible than that! smile

I love all these ideas!

If there is a decision to open it up to any kind of rag, I'll be there with something from Martha Meirs or Dennis Alexander!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
As well maybe there can be some which are open-ended with the composers:

1) Waltzes (any Waltz by any composer, can include transcriptions)
2) Nocturnes (any Nocturne by any composer)
3) Preludes (any Prelude by any composer, can include Organ Choral Prelude transcriptions)
4) Etudes (any Etude by any composer)
5) Fugues (any Fugue by any composer)
6) Marches (any March by any composer, can include transcriptions)
7) et c.

So, for instance with the preludes one, there are preludes to select from by J.S. Bach (not only the Well Tempered Clavier sets, but also the Organ Chorale Preludes in transcription), Chopin, Scriabin, Vierne, Liszt (only one, the "Preludio Funebre"), Rachmaninoff, Moor, Debussy, et al.

I think there would be enough readily playable Preludes to go around, maybe the all-Preludes option would be best from that perspective (there are lots of Preludes to choose from for every level of technique).

Even with the Nocturnes there are few free from complications for some persons such as free hand filigree in the Chopin ones, that Field one with the endlessly rising trill at the end, et c.

Thoughts anyone?

M.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission