Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#215115 - 12/19/04 08:26 PM The REST of the Story (or, where are you Paul Harvey?)
seebechstein Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: houston
Everyone has their pet peeve about the PianoWorld Forum. Maybe it's sockpuppets. Perhaps aggressive salesmen PMing you. Or you're sick of hearing about Estonia. Or Larry always attacks your posts.

But the most annoying thing to me is: never getting The REST of the Story.[/b]

There's a thread tonight asking what happened to the little 4-year-old child with brain cancer. Did he/she get a piano?

What about they guy whose piano fell off the back of the delivery guy's pickup truck, and the dealer was on his way over to inspect the piano?

Or what about the case of the 15 families that pooled their resources and negotiated a fantastic deal, only to have the saleswoman go missing and the dealer to partially execute, then suspend, the contract?

Or the scores of people who say "I played an XXX piano today and would like to buy it. What do you think?" and then they get 20 replies and never followup with what they bought or didn't buy, and why?

I think the one thing that's going to drive me away from the forum is the lack of closure. Too many loose threads!

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#215116 - 12/19/04 09:01 PM Re: The REST of the Story (or, where are you Paul Harvey?)
C Sharp Minor Offline

Loc: Southern California
Totally agree.

Especially when I return to the forum after being away for a while, spot an interesting thread with 8 pages, read the whole thing from the start all in one go, and there's no resolution. Very frustrating. It's like reading a novel and someone has torn out the last chapter.

#215117 - 12/19/04 09:31 PM Re: The REST of the Story (or, where are you Paul Harvey?)
AKindWord Offline

Loc: Kentucky/Tennessee
"Especially when I return to the forum after being away for a while, spot an interesting thread with 8 pages, read the whole thing from the start all in one go, and there's no resolution. Very frustrating. "[/b]

Usually, the more pages a thread has, the more unlikely their will be a resolution within it.

-AKindWord

#215118 - 12/19/04 09:51 PM Re: The REST of the Story (or, where are you Paul Harvey?)
Norbert Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
Unfortunately this malaise has become part of the new *reality* here on the Forum.

Phonies,rumour-mongerers,egoists,shills, the "lonely and haywire" \:D - in addition to old style *car salesmen*
[in disguise, of course!] are starting to dot the landscape.

That's why I've learned to let a thread run a bit its course before stepping in.

It's not a nice feeling to get involved and then find out later, the author never even as much as.....

..... existed!![/b] \:o

norbert

#215119 - 12/19/04 10:16 PM Re: The REST of the Story (or, where are you Paul Harvey?)
Paulo Offline

Loc: québec
I used to enjoy watching new threads in the past, now it has become chaos.

You have to look through the BS to base an informed opinion.

Way to many egos and "clicks". Paulo

#215120 - 12/20/04 02:37 AM Re: The REST of the Story (or, where are you Paul Harvey?)
BruceD Online   content

Loc: Victoria, BC
Friends :

I agree with much of the above. Whether it's a scam, a bogus claim, or whether it's just an innocent "newbie" who doesn't have the courtesy to thank PW members for all the information s/he got on his/her question, there is so much more of it on Piano World these days.

Although I now have to do a lot more unnecessary reading, sorting through and weeding out than before - which leads to no small degree of frustration - I am not yet ready to leave Piano World. There are still - fortunately - some good guys and gals here who post regularly, who share their interest in, their enthusiasm for and their knowledge about pianos. It is they who will keep me coming back, always teaching me something I didn't know, or correcting something I thought I did.

Furthermore, I am most likely to buy a new piano this year and I'll certainly want the chance to brag about it here when I do. \:D

Regards to all the faithful!

#215121 - 12/20/04 02:45 AM Re: The REST of the Story (or, where are you Paul Harvey?)
AndrewG Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Denver, Colorado
 Quote:
Originally posted by BruceD:

Although I now have to do a lot more unnecessary reading, sorting through and weeding out than before - which leads to no small degree of frustration - I am not yet ready to leave Piano World. There are still - fortunately - some good guys and gals here who post regularly, who share their interest in, their enthusiasm for and their knowledge about pianos. It is they who will keep me coming back, always teaching me something I didn't know, or correcting something I thought I did.[/b]
BruceD, you're certainly one of these guys.

#215122 - 12/20/04 03:59 AM Re: The REST of the Story (or, where are you Paul Harvey?)
mikhailoh Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cincinnati
BruceD.. agreed!

I too have been thinking about the posts that go haywire and descend into p*****g contests, some of which I have unfortunately participated in.

IMO, it is worth considering that there is probably major jealousy in some quarters over the success of PW's PF. With the anonymous nature of the internet that allows people to behave at their worst with supposed impunity, these bogus posts may well be an attempt to damage PF by driving off some of the more venerable members.

In any event they attempt to draw good people into bad situations. Some early morning ideas tothink about:

1. We need to be wiser about what we pour out our hearts to. Sob stories requesting free pianos, etc. should be met with requests for more detail, and possibly with the suggestion that they contact one member or another, whoever might be interested at the time and coolheaded enough, via email so that we may verify the claim.

Power just went off can't see to type.. to be continued

====

He is so solemn, detached and uninvolved he makes Mr. Spock look like Hunter S. Thompson at closing time.'

#215123 - 12/20/04 04:24 AM Re: The REST of the Story (or, where are you Paul Harvey?)
BruceD Online   content

Loc: Victoria, BC
 Quote:
Originally posted by AndrewG:
BruceD, you're certainly one of these guys. [/b]
You too, Andrew! Thanks!

Regards,

#215124 - 12/20/04 04:34 AM Re: The REST of the Story (or, where are you Paul Harvey?)
mikhailoh Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Ok..power is backon for the moment anyway... 3 degrees here and THIS is the morning the power fails. They call me stormy monday.....

1. (cont.) I think it is completely reasonable to explain the history to someone asking for help and have them confirm their story before we set the hearts of charity in motion.

2. There goes the power again. (by now we have amassed the candles and flashlights.. heh heh heh..)

Ok.. I'm done for the moment. Ideas that seemed good pre-coffee need more thought.

====

He is so solemn, detached and uninvolved he makes Mr. Spock look like Hunter S. Thompson at closing time.'

#215125 - 12/20/04 08:18 AM Re: The REST of the Story (or, where are you Paul Harvey?)
CSG Offline

Welcome to the internet. It's not just here this sort of thing happens. I run a site that has four times the membership here and about four times the activity. Dance a day in my world sometime ;o)

Chris

P.S. I find a lot of good info here in-between the tripe.

#215126 - 12/20/04 11:17 AM Re: The REST of the Story (or, where are you Paul Harvey?)
mikhailoh Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Chris,

I think there is still a lot of good info out here too, but I think it is also true that we have some detractors out here just trying to stir the pot and make trouble. They make bogus posts just to watch what happens, or come on and shill either for their own product or against their competition.

It still behooves us all to try to find a way to avoid wasting precious resources on it, and maintain the quality of the forum.

Seems like we should be able to trap for IP address to keep known cretins out. Markjps?

====

#215127 - 12/21/04 01:49 PM Re: The REST of the Story (or, where are you Paul Harvey?)
seebechstein Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Regarding the now infamous $16,900 Estonia 190:
 Quote:
Originally posted by lb:
I will say that this forum has sunk to a new low over this piano. [/b]

Originally posted by Norbert:
Post current model serial number in addition to picture of your new Estonia here and I will bid Good-Bye to this venerable Forum.[/b]

Originally posted by seebechstein:
I'm going to conclude he got a really good deal, perhaps better than everyone else. [/b]

Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
I need to see a facsimile of the receipt, myself.[/b]

Originally posted by Larry:
I believe you have paid just what you said you paid, I believe you are legit [/b]

Originally posted by irving:
I really don't know which scenario is correct. But something here isn't right. It just isn't. [/b]

Originally posted by Axtremus:
And you were complaining about not getting "the rest of the story" in the other thread... [/b]
Ax, I'm not sure we got "The Rest of the Story" on this one, either.

#215128 - 12/21/04 01:54 PM Re: The REST of the Story (or, where are you Paul Harvey?)
SWCovington Offline

Loc: Houston
Mr. Stein-

In many aspects this site is remniscent of "Dallas" and everyone gets obsessed with "Who Shot J.R?"

Welcome to the madness.

When finding yourself obsessed to the point of counseling, go play your piano. Given the average "Heart and Soul" customer, you are quite good.

By the way, I'm having surgery in two weeks, nothing major. Do you want to watch my store? Let me know.

Ciao!

#215129 - 12/21/04 02:31 PM Re: The REST of the Story (or, where are you Paul Harvey?)
seebechstein Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SWCovington:
By the way, I'm having surgery in two weeks, nothing major. [/b]
Okay then, all the best for a smooth procedure and speedy recovery...
 Quote:
Originally posted by SWCovington:
Do you want to watch my store? Let me know. [/b]
You're going to get a lot of offers opening yourself up like this. Okay I'll do it, but don't get mad if I sell 15 Estonias with pianodisc in a group purchase for $5995 each... ;\)

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
168 registered (accordeur, airdis, Alex-SapRenovation, 49 invisible), 1871 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75579 Members
42 Forums
156266 Topics
2294895 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Sheet Music Retainers
by MargaretUK
07/29/14 05:20 PM
piano contest
by wkurashima
07/29/14 04:47 PM
piano contest Clavinova
by wkurashima
07/29/14 04:39 PM
Proper chunking method
by Edtek
07/29/14 03:10 PM
Lamp for Piano
by DancerJ
07/29/14 03:08 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission