Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 12 of 21 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 20 21 >
Topic Options
#2170704 - 10/23/13 03:43 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - Forum Recital! [Re: jeffreyjones]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: jeffreyjones
Originally Posted By: FarmGirl
I wonder sometimes why the composer did not publish those ph ones. Did he not like it? They are beautiful too. Did he not have enough time and energy to publish because he was dying? Or did he misplace them?

There is a gap in sophistication and polish between the published and unpublished Mazurkas, and other works for that matter. They are pretty, but they don't have the same substance and impact. Consider the Fantasie-Impromptu - I wouldn't want to delete it from the repertoire, for sure, but neither would I include it in a serious concert unless I was playing the three published ones as well.

I will never play a posthumous work. It just doesn't feel right.

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2170798 - 10/23/13 06:37 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - Forum Recital! [Re: JoelW]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
Originally Posted By: JoelW
You wouldn't want to apply that rule to Schubert. Think what you'd miss out on!

#2170821 - 10/23/13 07:45 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - Forum Recital! [Re: currawong]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: currawong

Why?

I'll probably get over it some day anyway.

#2170822 - 10/23/13 07:51 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - Forum Recital! [Re: JoelW]
beet31425 Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bay Area, CA

Why?

Because less than 100 of Schubert's works were given opus numbers during his lifetime. A bunch more were published and given opus numbers after his death, but most of his 1000 works are "posthumous".

-J

#2170835 - 10/23/13 08:14 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - Forum Recital! [Re: beet31425]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: beet31425

Why?

Because less than 100 of Schubert's works were given opus numbers during his lifetime. A bunch more were published and given opus numbers after his death, but most of his 1000 works are "posthumous".

-J

Why?

#2170851 - 10/23/13 08:56 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - Forum Recital! [Re: JoelW]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Why?
Why weren't all his works published in his lifetime, do you mean? Because he lacked time, money and influence. If he'd had the luxury of a normal life span he may have managed to publish a bit more. Then again, he may have just spent his time writing more masterpieces. If only.

#2170862 - 10/23/13 09:13 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - Forum Recital! [Re: currawong]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Why?
Why weren't all his works published in his lifetime, do you mean? Because he lacked time, money and influence. If he'd had the luxury of a normal life span he may have managed to publish a bit more. Then again, he may have just spent his time writing more masterpieces. If only.

So I guess he wrote TONS of music like Bach and Mozart. Are all of his works of the highest quality?

#2170952 - 10/24/13 12:39 AM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - Forum Recital! [Re: JoelW]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Why?
So I guess he wrote TONS of music like Bach and Mozart. Are all of his works of the highest quality?
Well they're not all of equal quality of course - of what composer could you say that? (One who only wrote one piece, I suppose smile ) But if you look at some of the pieces which weren't published in his lifetime (the octet, symphony no.9, G major string quartet, Death & the Maiden quartet, F minor Fantasie, any number of songs, the string quintet, the last three piano sonatas, just to mention a few) you'd have a hard time convincing anyone that lack of quality was the reason.

(And if you're only prepared to play Bach or Mozart published during their lifetimes your choice will be pretty limited too.)

#2170974 - 10/24/13 01:17 AM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - Forum Recital! [Re: JoelW]
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA

Schubert is a case where most of his best music was not published in his lifetime. The D. 958/959/960 sonatas, the second book of Impromptus, the "Great" Symphony, the C major 'cello quintet, and several of the string quartets including "Death and the Maiden" all would be off limits.

This isn't the case with Chopin. Other than the Opp. 67/68 mazurkas, which he would surely have published had he lived to do so, his posthumous output is not as good as what he published.

#2170994 - 10/24/13 02:15 AM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - Forum Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
No wonder I did not see Op numbers for Schubert Three Grand Sonatas No 3. I think it is the same as D 960. Love the second movement. The prettiest music ever composed by human.
Solo - Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, Schubert Sonata D960 Andante sostenute (9/7/14), Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1

#2171271 - 10/24/13 01:16 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - Forum Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
Ganddalf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Norway
I have made a few recordings during my studies of these pieces. Actually I'm very glad I started early, because listening to my own playing has been quite disappointing. I obviously have a lot to work on in order to get the smooth melody lines I'm aiming for. My rubato sounds unnatural and I have serious issues with the pedaling.

Obviously the Chopin mazurkas are much more difficult than they appear at first glance. I really hope that I'll be able to improve significantly during the remaining weeks before the deadline.

#2171275 - 10/24/13 01:26 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - Forum Recital! [Re: Ganddalf]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted By: Ganddalf
I have made a few recordings during my studies of these pieces. Actually I'm very glad I started early, because listening to my own playing has been quite disappointing. I obviously have a lot to work on in order to get the smooth melody lines I'm aiming for. My rubato sounds unnatural and I have serious issues with the pedaling.

Obviously the Chopin mazurkas are much more difficult than they appear at first glance. I really hope that I'll be able to improve significantly during the remaining weeks before the deadline.
Don't panic yet! I'm nowhere near even being able to think about recording. I do want to start the process sooner though so I can really work on refining it, but I'm thinking if I start recording 2-3 weeks before the deadline that should be sufficient time.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2171381 - 10/24/13 04:52 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - Forum Recital! [Re: Ganddalf]
Damon Online   happy
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
I have made a few recordings during my studies of these pieces. Actually I'm very glad I started early, because listening to my own playing has been quite disappointing.

smile I hate listening to myself. The first recording I get without an obvious blunder will be submitted without review.

#2171736 - 10/25/13 10:06 AM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - Forum Recital! [Re: Damon]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
I made one weeks ago, quite chuffed with myself. Until I played it back . . .too slow, too many shortcuts .. . I`m glad to say things are better now. But I`ll delay recording Mk 2 for a little while. . . .I just enjoy playing it! That`s a first, I`m usually sick of `em by now. tired

""

#2171755 - 10/25/13 10:35 AM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - Forum Recital! [Re: peterws]
Morodiene Offline

Originally Posted By: peterws
I made one weeks ago, quite chuffed with myself. Until I played it back . . .too slow, too many shortcuts .. . I`m glad to say things are better now. But I`ll delay recording Mk 2 for a little while. . . .I just enjoy playing it! That`s a first, I`m usually sick of `em by now. tired
I'm not quite at the point where I enjoy playing it, still too many things to work out in both. The A minor one is getting smoother with the octaves though, so soon I think I'll be over that hump. My trill needs more work though, I can play it without fatigue, but it's a bit uneven, so still need to work that out. The B major needs work on the second iteration of the B section, and of course the last page and a half is tricky. Slowly but surely!

#2171897 - 10/25/13 03:37 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - Forum Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
Ganddalf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Presently I make recordings just as an aid for the study of the pieces. It is a bit frustrating, since even the slightest inaccuracy becomes audible, but the recordings are invaluable when comes to identify things to improve.

I'm also listening to other pianists' recordings. The interpretations of these pieces vary a lot, and there seems to be no specificly "correct" way to play them. Particularly Op.63 no.1 is played very differently by different master pianists.

I really look forward to this recital. It is going to be very interesting.

#2171914 - 10/25/13 04:12 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - Forum Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
Dipsy Offline

On behalf of Beric (who is my dad and doesn't use computers much) could you please update the list to show that he is taking on KK IIb no 4 in A minor and (instead of me) Op 68 No 1 in C. Hope this is ok.

So that just leaves four pieces in need of a home!

#2171924 - 10/25/13 04:25 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - Forum Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
NEW LIST - CURRENT AS OF OCTOBER 25

Opus 6
No 1 in F# minor - Sam S
No 2 in C# minor - SwissMS
No 3 in E major - AZNpiano
No 4 in Eb minor - Roland the Beagle

Opus 7
No 1 in Bb major - WinsomeAllegretto
No 2 in A minor - Brad Hoehne
No 3 in F minor - Cinnamonbear
No 4 in Ab major - Cinnamonbear
No 5 in C major - peterws

Opus 17
No 1 in Bb major - jeffreyjones
No 2 in E minor - Dipsy
No 3 in Ab major - jeffreyjones
No 4 in A minor - Valencia

Opus 24
No 1 in G minor - PrestoconFuocco
No 2 in C major - peterws
No 3 in Ab major - timmyab
No 4 in Bb minor - Derulux

Opus 30
No 1 in C minor - gutenberg
No 2 in B minor - TwoSnowflakes
No 3 in Db major - BruceD
No 4 in C# minor - jeffreyjones

Opus 33
No 1 in G# minor - Rupak Bhattacharya
No 2 in D major - carey
No 3 in C major - VACANT
No 4 in B minor - Tim Adrianson

Opus 41
No 1 in E minor - Kreisler
No 2 in B major - Polyphonist
No 3 in Ab major - Tim Adrianson
No 4 in C# minor - dire tonic

Opus 50
No 1 in G major - SlatterFan
No 2 in Ab major - Ganddalf
No 3 in C# minor - Damon

Opus 56
No 1 in B major - Morodiene
No 2 in C major - carey
No 3 in C minor - carey

Opus 59
No 1 in A minor - Ganddalf
No 2 in Ab major - carey
No 3 in F# minor - jeffreyjones

Opus 63
No 1 in B major - Ganddalf
No 2 in F minor - sandalholme
No 3 in C# minor - FarmGirl

Opus 67
No 1 in G major - Cinnamonbear
No 2 in G minor - FSO
No 3 in C major - Pavel.K
No 4 in A minor - jrcallan

Opus 68
No 1 in C major - Beric
No 2 in A minor - BruceD
No 3 in F major - Cinnamonbear
No 4 in F minor - dire tonic

Posthumous
KK IIa No 2 in G major - Lyricsoprano24
KK IIa No 3 in Bb major - AZNpiano
KK IIb No 4 in A minor - Vid
KK IIb No 5 in A minor - Morodiene
KK IVb No 1 in Bb major - VACANT
KK IVb No 2 in D major - VACANT
KK IVb No 3 in C major - VACANT

KK IVb No 4 in Ab major - FSO

IMPORTANT: When you submit your performance, please send a private message addressed to both Derulux (make sure you spell it right!) and myself. Make the title "Mazurka Recital Submission - Opus 41 No 2" or whatever your piece is. Then in the body of the post simply embed or link to your video/recording, and if you need a blurb about your piece please keep it to a minimum - we don't need "This isn't very good" or "I didn't have very much time to record" or similar preambles.

Polyphonist

#2171925 - 10/25/13 04:26 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - Forum Recital! [Re: Dipsy]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Dipsy
On behalf of Beric (who is my dad and doesn't use computers much) could you please update the list to show that he is taking on KK IIb no 4 in A minor and (instead of me) Op 68 No 1 in C. Hope this is ok.

So that just leaves four pieces in need of a home!

I've given him 68/1. IIb/4 is already taken.

Polyphonist

#2171926 - 10/25/13 04:30 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - Forum Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Take me out of the set. There's just no way can I make it. I don't currently have any recording equipment.

#2171981 - 10/25/13 06:01 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - Forum Recital! [Re: JoelW]
Morodiene Offline

Take me out of the set. There's just no way can I make it. I don't currently have any recording equipment.
What about your phone? Or computer?

#2171999 - 10/25/13 06:33 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - Forum Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
Ganddalf Offline
500 Post Club Member

I think I can play Op.50/2. Unless somebody else badly want it.

#2172006 - 10/25/13 06:56 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - Forum Recital! [Re: Morodiene]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Morodiene
What about your phone? Or computer?

Both junk mics.

#2172024 - 10/25/13 07:43 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - Forum Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
Dipsy Offline

Sorry - my mistake. Will talk to Beric about KK IIb no 4. Hopefully one of the untaken will appeal instead. The numbering of those posthumous ones throws me, as you can tell.

JoelW I didn't have any equipment before the recent Grieg recital, and didn't know how to record. But I got hold of a Blue Snowball (for around £50), just plugged it into my laptop and it did it all for me - with good quality results.

I just think it'd be a shame if a lack of recording equipment was all that prevented you from taking part

#2172073 - 10/25/13 10:08 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - Forum Recital! [Re: Dipsy]
Morodiene Offline

Originally Posted By: Dipsy
Sorry - my mistake. Will talk to Beric about KK IIb no 4. Hopefully one of the untaken will appeal instead. The numbering of those posthumous ones throws me, as you can tell.

JoelW I didn't have any equipment before the recent Grieg recital, and didn't know how to record. But I got hold of a Blue Snowball (for around £50), just plugged it into my laptop and it did it all for me - with good quality results.

I just think it'd be a shame if a lack of recording equipment was all that prevented you from taking part
Ya, and I doubt many of us here will be making studio-quality recordings. If you set the recording level down on your laptop mic so that it doesn't overpower it you may be able to get a decent take that way, then just increase the volume after the fact.

#2172651 - 10/27/13 07:31 AM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - Forum Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
Dipsy Offline

Please put Beric down for Op 33 no 3.

#2172729 - 10/27/13 11:24 AM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - Forum Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
Ganddalf Offline
500 Post Club Member

What kind of format is required for the recording this time? A video for YouTube or just an audio file?

#2172736 - 10/27/13 12:16 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - Forum Recital! [Re: Ganddalf]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

What kind of format is required for the recording this time? A video for YouTube or just an audio file?

Either.

Polyphonist

#2172737 - 10/27/13 12:17 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - Forum Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

NEW LIST - CURRENT AS OF OCTOBER 27

Opus 6
No 1 in F# minor - Sam S
No 2 in C# minor - SwissMS
No 3 in E major - AZNpiano
No 4 in Eb minor - Roland the Beagle

Opus 7
No 1 in Bb major - WinsomeAllegretto
No 2 in A minor - Brad Hoehne
No 3 in F minor - Cinnamonbear
No 4 in Ab major - Cinnamonbear
No 5 in C major - peterws

Opus 17
No 1 in Bb major - jeffreyjones
No 2 in E minor - Dipsy
No 3 in Ab major - jeffreyjones
No 4 in A minor - Valencia

Opus 24
No 1 in G minor - PrestoconFuocco
No 2 in C major - peterws
No 3 in Ab major - timmyab
No 4 in Bb minor - Derulux

Opus 30
No 1 in C minor - gutenberg
No 2 in B minor - TwoSnowflakes
No 3 in Db major - BruceD
No 4 in C# minor - jeffreyjones

Opus 33
No 1 in G# minor - Rupak Bhattacharya
No 2 in D major - carey
No 3 in C major - Beric
No 4 in B minor - Tim Adrianson

Opus 41
No 1 in E minor - Kreisler
No 2 in B major - Polyphonist
No 3 in Ab major - Tim Adrianson
No 4 in C# minor - dire tonic

Opus 50
No 1 in G major - SlatterFan
No 2 in Ab major - Ganddalf
No 3 in C# minor - Damon

Opus 56
No 1 in B major - Morodiene
No 2 in C major - carey
No 3 in C minor - carey

Opus 59
No 1 in A minor - Ganddalf
No 2 in Ab major - carey
No 3 in F# minor - jeffreyjones

Opus 63
No 1 in B major - Ganddalf
No 2 in F minor - sandalholme
No 3 in C# minor - FarmGirl

Opus 67
No 1 in G major - Cinnamonbear
No 2 in G minor - FSO
No 3 in C major - Pavel.K
No 4 in A minor - jrcallan

Opus 68
No 1 in C major - Beric
No 2 in A minor - BruceD
No 3 in F major - Cinnamonbear
No 4 in F minor - dire tonic

Posthumous
KK IIa No 2 in G major - Lyricsoprano24
KK IIa No 3 in Bb major - AZNpiano
KK IIb No 4 in A minor - Vid
KK IIb No 5 in A minor - Morodiene
KK IVb No 1 in Bb major - VACANT
KK IVb No 2 in D major - VACANT
KK IVb No 3 in C major - VACANT

KK IVb No 4 in Ab major - FSO

IMPORTANT: When you submit your performance, please send a private message addressed to both Derulux (make sure you spell it right!) and myself. Make the title "Mazurka Recital Submission - Opus 41 No 2" or whatever your piece is. Then in the body of the post simply embed or link to your video/recording, and if you need a blurb about your piece please keep it to a minimum - we don't need "This isn't very good" or "I didn't have very much time to record" or similar preambles.

Polyphonist

#2172738 - 10/27/13 12:18 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - Forum Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

3 Mazurkas left! Who's going to seize these last few?

Polyphonist

Page 12 of 21 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 20 21 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
155 registered (accordeur, *windowlicker*, aesop, 36251, 47 invisible), 1623 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75889 Members
42 Forums
156817 Topics
2304201 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Chord changes to 'Sixty Years On'
by Visalia
08/20/14 06:43 PM
Cloud piano
by Bosendorff
08/20/14 06:35 PM
How many years?
by schumoney
08/20/14 06:30 PM
Schubert 4-hands
by frida11
08/20/14 04:59 PM
CLP 585 - CS 10 - LX 15e
by bhmpower
08/20/14 04:24 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission