Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 3 of 21 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 20 21 >
Topic Options
#2152240 - 09/17/13 03:07 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - Forum Recital! [Re: Morodiene]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: Morodiene
Originally Posted By: Polyphonist
Originally Posted By: Piano*Dad
Maybe you'll reconsider the deadline if there are too many unclaimed pieces?

Yes, I will. But I will try opening it up for seconds and thirds first. smile

Why is this such a hard thing to do? From my count, there's only one definitely in favor of the Oct. 16 deadline, with Derelux stating having 2 deadlines, so I guess that counts, and Bruce D. and one other poster signing up officially, so that's maybe 3 people OK with Oct. 16, and then you have 8 or 9 including myself saying we'd like a bit more time.

So far, it seems there are quite a few people bothered by the short time frame. What is the reason for this? If you can learn a piece in that amount of time, great, record it and have it done early. I have yet to see a good argument for getting the recital deadline so soon, and lots of arguments for allowing more time.

Derulux mad and myself are discussing this. We will get back to you; right now it seems likely that we will be moving the deadline back.

Polyphonist

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2152243 - 09/17/13 03:07 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - Forum Recital! [Re: Mwm]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Mwm
Please recommend good editions of the Mazurkas.

Thanks

Henle.

Polyphonist

#2152246 - 09/17/13 03:11 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - Forum Recital! [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: TwoSnowflakes
Originally Posted By: Derulux
Originally Posted By: TwoSnowflakes
I would LOVE to participate, especially since I a) love the mazurkas, and b) my teacher suggested we pick one of these up as a next piece to work on.

So I don't have one I play yet, and since I'm not exactly that advanced, do you guys have any to suggest that aren't already taken but would be do-able in a month for someone like me? It's taking me at least that long to get to non-panic state on most of my pieces, so I'm a little apprehensive of a month timeframe.

ETA: What about Op. 30 No. 2 (b minor)?

I think that might be okay. It's a 2-pager, and wasn't that hard for me to grasp the concept under my fingers when I read through it. In general, I think the lower the opus number, the easier the piece. There are quite a few difficult mazurkas in the later groups. (Of course, there are some difficult ones in the early groups, too, so take this with a canister of salt.)

Oh, good. I'll see what I can do with it tonight and if it looks like I could maybe wrestle it to the ground in four weeks, I'll take it! Assuming nobody else does, since I haven't yet officially claimed it.

Well, you're down for it. Notify us as soon as possible if you wish to change pieces.

Polyphonist

#2152253 - 09/17/13 03:22 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - Forum Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains
Originally Posted By: -Frycek
Just FYI. This has been done. The "ABF folks" held a three part Mazurka Marathon over the course of a year about five years ago, We played ALL of them, not just the easier ones as "we" have so graciously been offered

I never offered anyone any easy ones. And is this an issue for anyone, that this has been done already? I didn't know...

Re easier mazurkas-- that was Carey om the last page -- please forgive me for feeling a bit churlish at 4 this morning. I tried to delete after I woke up and thought better of it.

#2152256 - 09/17/13 03:24 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - Forum Recital! [Re: -Frycek]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Just FYI. This has been done. The "ABF folks" held a three part Mazurka Marathon over the course of a year about five years ago, We played ALL of them, not just the easier ones as "we" have so graciously been offered

I never offered anyone any easy ones. And is this an issue for anyone, that this has been done already? I didn't know...

Re easier mazurkas-- that was Carey om the last page -- please forgive me for feeling a bit churlish at 4 this morning. I tried to delete after I woke up and thought better of it.

Last page? I only see one page. Anyway, it's not an issue. Which one shall I put you down for, Frycek? smile

Polyphonist

#2152286 - 09/17/13 04:10 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - Forum Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted By: Morodiene
Originally Posted By: Piano*Dad
Maybe you'll reconsider the deadline if there are too many unclaimed pieces?

Yes, I will. But I will try opening it up for seconds and thirds first. smile

Why is this such a hard thing to do? From my count, there's only one definitely in favor of the Oct. 16 deadline, with Derelux stating having 2 deadlines, so I guess that counts, and Bruce D. and one other poster signing up officially, so that's maybe 3 people OK with Oct. 16, and then you have 8 or 9 including myself saying we'd like a bit more time.

So far, it seems there are quite a few people bothered by the short time frame. What is the reason for this? If you can learn a piece in that amount of time, great, record it and have it done early. I have yet to see a good argument for getting the recital deadline so soon, and lots of arguments for allowing more time.

Derulux mad and myself are discussing this. We will get back to you; right now it seems likely that we will be moving the deadline back.
Thank you. smile
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2152340 - 09/17/13 05:35 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - Forum Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
jrcallan Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
Committing to a piece is the point -- why all the other discourse? It takes an hour to figure out who' committing to what.

#2152341 - 09/17/13 05:36 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - Forum Recital! [Re: -Frycek]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona

And just to clarify - my intent in making the suggestion that the "ABF folks" be given first crack at the easier Mazurkas was made out of a sincere desire to be "inclusive." Since some ABF members have been playing for less than two years, their choices here may be somewhat limited. If more experienced players - who still consider themselves adult beginners - want to tackle the more difficult Mazurkas (and there are plenty to select from) then by all means they should do so. grin

I'm pleased to know that the "ABF folks" held the full Mazurka marathon about five years ago. Hopefully a good number of those individuals will participate again.

#2152344 - 09/17/13 05:38 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - Forum Recital! [Re: jrcallan]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: jrcallan
Committing to a piece is the point -- why all the other discourse? It takes an hour to figure out who' committing to what.

No it doesn't, unless it takes you an hour to scroll to the top of the page and scan down the list.

Polyphonist

#2152368 - 09/17/13 06:11 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - Forum Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
If I count correctly, there are 57 Mazurkas to choose from.

Would it be possible (or is it considered too early at this point) to select up to 2 works ??

If so, I'd like to tackle both...

Opus 56 No. 3
and
Opus 59 No. 2

If not, I guess I'll just need to pick one for the e-cital and record the other for fun.

Please advise - thanks !!

#2152407 - 09/17/13 07:38 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - Forum Recital! [Re: carey]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: carey
If I count correctly, there are 57 Mazurkas to choose from.

Would it be possible (or is it considered too early at this point) to select up to 2 works ??

If so, I'd like to tackle both...

Opus 56 No. 3
and
Opus 59 No. 2

If not, I guess I'll just need to pick one for the e-cital and record the other for fun.

Please advise - thanks !!

Yes, we're removing that restriction. Have fun. smile
Let me make that official.

Polyphonist

#2152412 - 09/17/13 07:43 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - Forum Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

ATTENTION PLEASE EVERYONE:

We are now accepting multiple submissions from each member. So pick as many as you want, as long as you can commit to them all. smile

Polyphonist

#2152502 - 09/17/13 09:08 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - Forum Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
Here's me playing the famous A minor one. It looks like Horowitz playing but it's actually my playing dubbed over his. You're hearing me.

#2152507 - 09/17/13 09:11 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - Forum Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Joel, you aren't supposed to be posting your performances in this thread. You submit them to us privately, and we post them all together at the end. Take it down, please.

Also, the 17/4 has already been selected, as can be seen on the list at the top of this thread. Please choose another if you wish to participate.

Polyphonist

#2152511 - 09/17/13 09:13 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - Forum Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Oh, whoops. (it was a joke anyway grin)

By the way: I call opus 33/3!

#2152520 - 09/17/13 09:19 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - Forum Recital! [Re: JoelW]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: JoelW
Oh, whoops. (it was a joke anyway grin)

By the way: I call opus 33/3!

Ha - I didn't quite catch that. Sorry.

33/3 - you got it.

Polyphonist

#2152523 - 09/17/13 09:26 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - Forum Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
dynamobt Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NH
Deleted. I was far too ambitious.

Edited by dynamobt (09/17/13 09:32 PM)

#2152530 - 09/17/13 09:37 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - Forum Recital! [Re: dynamobt]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: dynamobt
Deleted. I was far too ambitious.

What did you do? Enter for 44 of the 45 remaining Mazurkas? grin

Polyphonist

#2152531 - 09/17/13 09:39 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - Forum Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
dynamobt Offline
500 Post Club Member

Just one. But then, sat down and tried to sightread it. Nope. I was correct that I have too much on my plate now to tackle one of these.

#2152532 - 09/17/13 09:40 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - Forum Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

When is the due date?

#2152535 - 09/17/13 09:41 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - Forum Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
dynamobt Offline
500 Post Club Member

Too soon!!

#2152536 - 09/17/13 09:41 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - Forum Recital! [Re: JoelW]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: JoelW
When is the due date?

October 16, but liable to be moved back.

Polyphonist

#2152560 - 09/17/13 10:10 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - Forum Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

At least that will give me time to set up my microphone. laugh

The mazurka is one of the easiest, so I'm not pressed for time.

#2152579 - 09/17/13 10:39 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - Forum Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Rockford, IL

We are now accepting multiple submissions from each member. So pick as many as you want, as long as you can commit to them all. smile

Will duplicate Mazurkas be allowed from multiple performers? In other words, can more than one person pick the same Mazurka? Just asking. The Beethoven e-cital encouraged it in order to be inclusive, citing interpretive diversity as a point of interest and a thing to be celebrated. Allowing it did not result in many duplicate representations, but it did allow some members to participate who otherwise would not have.

#2152617 - 09/17/13 11:28 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - Forum Recital! [Re: Cinnamonbear]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Cinnamonbear

Will duplicate Mazurkas be allowed from multiple performers? In other words, can more than one person pick the same Mazurka? Just asking. The Beethoven e-cital encouraged it in order to be inclusive, citing interpretive diversity as a point of interest and a thing to be celebrated. Allowing it did not result in many duplicate representations, but it did allow some members to participate who otherwise would not have.

No, I don't think we will be doing duplicate Mazurkas. However, we are accepting unlimited recordings from each member.

Which one(s) are you doing, CB?

Polyphonist

#2152621 - 09/17/13 11:31 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - Forum Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

IMPORTANT:

Were we to move the due date back another month (quite likely now), how many people that aren't participating now would participate then? We'd like to get a quick headcount of this. smile

Polyphonist

#2152625 - 09/17/13 11:36 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - Forum Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

IMPORTANT:

Were we to move the due date back another month (quite likely now), how many people that aren't participating now would participate then? We'd like to get a quick headcount of this. smile

What was the reason for such a short turn-around time in the first place? Just asking.

#2152626 - 09/17/13 11:39 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - Forum Recital! [Re: Cinnamonbear]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

IMPORTANT:

What was the reason for such a short turn-around time in the first place? Just asking.

I don't really have a good answer - read the other threads if you want a better idea of it.

Polyphonist

#2152638 - 09/18/13 12:00 AM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - Forum Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

IMPORTANT:

I don't really have a good answer - read the other threads if you want a better idea of it.

I have a very good idea of it. I'm hoping I'm not right.

Many of us, when we post a recording, want to present our best. That means, apart from having the piece up to performance par, we want the piano to be in tune ("Two weeks from Wednesday? Uh, sure. That will work. Thank you." O.K., now I gotta remember to use that vacation day... Or, do I have a personal day? Gotta check on that...), the recording equipment in place, ("Oh, h.ell! The batteries in my microphones are dead! Now I have to run to the store... Honey!!! I'll be right back!!! Do you need anything from the store???"), and a quiet time to record as many tries as it takes to get something we can live with that we know will be scrutinized by strangers as well as friends and that will stand the test of time, and all of this to fit somehow into everything else that is going on in our lives, such as working for a living, raising a family, going to school, etc., etc.

If you want to host a party this coming Saturday, and send out an invitation about it tomorrow, you might not have many people attend. Give a little more lead time, and you might just have a bash! Just sayin'. smile

#2152642 - 09/18/13 12:02 AM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - Forum Recital! [Re: Cinnamonbear]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

IMPORTANT:

I have a very good idea of it. I'm hoping I'm not right.

Many of us, when we post a recording, want to present our best. That means, apart from having the piece up to performance par, we want the piano to be in tune ("Two weeks from Wednesday? Uh, sure. That will work. Thank you." O.K., now I gotta remember to use that vacation day... Or, do I have a personal day? Gotta check on that...), the recording equipment in place, ("Oh, h.ell! The batteries in my microphones are dead! Now I have to run to the store... Honey!!! I'll be right back!!! Do you need anything from the store???"), and a quiet time to record as many tries as it takes to get something we can live with that we know will be scrutinized by strangers as well as friends and that will stand the test of time, and all of this to fit somehow into everything else that is going on in our lives, such as working for a living, raising a family, going to school, etc., etc.

If you want to host a party this coming Saturday, and send out an invitation about it tomorrow, you might not have many people attend. Give a little more lead time, and you might just have a bash! Just sayin'. smile

We're thinking about it. We might do this: Push this date back to November, or December, or whatever we need to do, and start another smaller recital for the faster learners among us. smile

Polyphonist

Page 3 of 21 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 20 21 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Advice please
by Ems' Mum
Today at 05:14 AM
Help identify the piano action
by Kumi_27
Today at 04:16 AM
OT New story, new thread?
by PhilipInChina
Today at 01:28 AM
Recording without a computer
by doremi
Yesterday at 11:06 PM
Liebestod - Tremolos in bass dynamic control
by lotsofquestions
Yesterday at 10:55 PM
Who's Online
98 registered (36251, alberto, AimeeO, A Guy, Alan_Dublin, Alan F, 27 invisible), 1249 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76702 Members
42 Forums
158609 Topics
2329434 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission