Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 14 of 19 < 1 2 ... 12 13 14 15 16 18 19 >
Topic Options
#2213758 - 01/13/14 12:21 AM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: dire tonic]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
Originally Posted By: dire tonic
Derulux, many thanks again for your recent feedback. Definitely some progress. Probably a hang-over from the period before seeking advice, I went on to have a quite bad spasm of pain for a day or so but got stuck back in pretty quickly with the certain knowledge that continued tension would put rags permanently out of reach. I reflected further on the apparently fixed 4 and 5 youd spotted. Although unable to sense any rigidity at the time of recording I set about trying to find a deeper level of un-tense, trying to let go of the hand in the pitifully short break between the boom and the chuck. I think I had some measure of success by adopting an attitude of wanton neglect towards the fourth finger aided by the fact that fourthy isnt even playing any notes so WTF! It seems to have done the trick insofar as that particular pain hasnt returned. Accuracy improves slowly but Im still short of even 95%.

Id been watching Tom for some flips and cribbed a couple but not at the beginning of that phrase it was probably just a tic in the playing. Id still like to be able to throw out some of those LH octave 16s he does but, as you say, its a technique that would require a visible demo, I think. The few times Ive tried it I risk more wrist pain.

Anytime! I'm glad to hear you've made some progress with it! smile

Tension is a nasty beast. Even in my own playing, it creeps in and infests my hands. Over the years, I've been able to eliminate nearly all of it, but there is one particularly nasty bit that lingers and causes uneven playing and sometimes additional notes. I decided after the Chopin Mazurka recital to go all the way back to the beginning and eliminate it, but since I don't have much time at the keys, it will probably take me a few months to feel much of a difference. Never playing wrong in the first place is much easier than correcting decades of mistakes!

For the octave 16ths, if you want to try it, do it with a metronome. I think you'll find Tom is playing it much slower than you think you need to. (I tend to do this all the time with something I "think" is supposed to be very fast.) But if there's still an issue, then I'd say to hold off. Wish we could sit down at the keys and talk octaves.. would be much easier to show than type.

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2214199 - 01/13/14 09:34 PM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: jotur]
Valencia Offline

Originally Posted By: jotur
smile for both Dipsy and Valencia. Sorry to hear of the time constraints, and Valencia's mother's illness, for both of you. Hope the move goes well, and your mother's illness abates.

I've played Bethena before, and I'll re-record for this recital unless someone else wants it. I think someone else was interested, but it was taken when they wanted to claim it, so I'll happily let them have it if they speak up!

It should be fun, though.

Cathy

Thanks so much regarding the Bethena, Cathy, and for your thoughts about my mum. smile Looking forward to listening to the recital!

#2214285 - 01/14/14 01:18 AM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: Whizbang]
AimeeO Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013

Loc: New Orleans
Hey!
Just checking in.. I've not been consistent in posting lately. Started a new job a while back, while still working one day week at my old job, so any free time goes to piano!

First- happy birthday Cathy!!

Too bad that Dipsey and Valencia have to drop out.. I'll miss you both! I hope your mother feels like herself soon, Valencia, and don't forget to take care of you!

Solace is slowly kicking in.. It looks like I will have it in some shape or form for the recital. At first I thought I'd made some horrible mistake, but it's starting to click. I'm not as far along as I'd hoped, but it's starting to come together faster now.
Strangely enough, I'm finding that this has helped me with tension. For the last 6 months or so, I've noticed tension building more and more in my right arm and haven't been able to pinpoint it. The big chords have really made me realize that I am alway straining to hold a certain shape in my hand, even when it's not necessary. It looked natural, so my teacher couldn't really pinpoint it either. Slow practice with the big chords really helped me understand this. Can't for the life for me figure out why I was doing it in the first place.

Anyway - I'm relaxing more when I play, which has helped me in my playing in general. So even if I bomb this I've already gotten more out of it than I thought! Thanks for making this recital, Whizbang!

#2214287 - 01/14/14 01:25 AM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: Whizbang]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Thanks, Aimee O. I still have 40 minutes to go by my time laugh

This is either going to be the most fun recital of all time, or the funniest. Or both. I'll be thru a spate of gigs after this Sunday and then maybe I can move Orig. Rags to first priority. I can play all the parts, and I have some interpretations worked out, but I don't have it as a whole, or at the same tempo for all of it.

Maybe I'll pretend it's the wild west and I'm trying to play while the rest of the saloon is concentrating on shooting each other and not the piano player. smile

Cathy

#2214303 - 01/14/14 02:03 AM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: Whizbang]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Loc: Italy
Happy birthday Cathy! It should be right now.

Yesterday I recorded myself playing the first two sections. I found that I start section A steady and finish it rushing as heck, so that section B becomes way too fast for me to keep up. Plus I kept messing up an RH arpeggio that I used to do right. My pinky was sticking up and not collaborating at all. I'm afraid the half hour I spent squeezing pliers while working on my bike didn't help. Will try again in a couple of days, and with a metronome. I like it when I let myself go, but these tempo changes are just ugly. How useful it is to record oneself, but how strangely stressful for me!

#2214306 - 01/14/14 02:08 AM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: jotur]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Thanks, Aimee O. I still have 40 minutes to go by my time laugh

This is either going to be the most fun recital of all time, or the funniest. Or both. I'll be thru a spate of gigs after this Sunday and then maybe I can move Orig. Rags to first priority. I can play all the parts, and I have some interpretations worked out, but I don't have it as a whole, or at the same tempo for all of it.

Maybe I'll pretend it's the wild west and I'm trying to play while the rest of the saloon is concentrating on shooting each other and not the piano player. smile

Cathy

The piano player is usually the first to get shot . . .

""

#2214541 - 01/14/14 11:59 AM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: Whizbang]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Thanks, sinophilia!

Hm, peterws. Guess I'd have to hide behind the piano.

Cathy

#2215059 - 01/15/14 09:25 AM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: Whizbang]
Whizbang Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Sam's post reminded me: TWO months till the Joplin recital. March 15.

#2215083 - 01/15/14 10:05 AM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: Whizbang]
sinophilia Offline

I don't know why but I thought we only had one month left before the deadline! Nice smile

Today I managed to play sections AA+B all in a row, with the metronome on to force myself not to rush the parts I know better. To finish my arrangement I only need to add DD, but I might get out on a limb and try to play AA BB A DD, so it resembles the original version a bit more. I will to have to change the ending of some measures.

I tell you all now, this won't be fast. I was all proud that I had gotten it up to 140 bpm, when I realised that the original score is 2/4 and mine is 4/4, so I'm actually playing it at 70 bpm! blush This will be one relaxing rag...

#2215092 - 01/15/14 10:20 AM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: Whizbang]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia, USA
Originally Posted By: Whizbang
Sam's post reminded me: TWO months till the Joplin recital. March 15.

Now this is a deadline to panic over. Somehow I think playing a rag at eighth note = 50 doesn't make it sound like a rag...

Sam

#2215143 - 01/15/14 11:32 AM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: Whizbang]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

For those of us playing more slowly than we think ragtime is smile -

Joplin's pieces can be *very* musical and lovely, and that sometimes gets lost in the speed. The harmonies and tune-like bass line sometimes gets lost in the speed. There is much to be said for slow/slower Joplin. It's often a pleasant surprise.

The first Joplin I posted in the ABF was 1/8th note at 62.5.

So you have company, you have precedent, and you have some great possibilities due to Joplin himself.

Cathy

#2215191 - 01/15/14 12:47 PM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: jotur]
500 Post Club Member

So you have company, you have precedent, and you have some great possibilities due to Joplin himself.

I'm certainly going to be playing "Rose Leaf" at a more sedate pace.

#2215193 - 01/15/14 12:51 PM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: jotur]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

"Joplin's pieces can be *very* musical and lovely, and that sometimes gets lost in the speed. The harmonies and tune-like bass line sometimes gets lost in the speed. There is much to be said for slow/slower Joplin. It's often a pleasant surprise."

That`s my excuse and I`m sticking to it . . . .how sweet it can sound when ya don`t go rushing things . .

""

#2218802 - 01/22/14 01:32 PM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: Whizbang]
Greener Offline

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014

Loc: Toronto
Harmonically, the piece I have been working on is not nearly as rich or complex as other classical works I have managed with, since joining piano world. However, I am finding it every bit as challenging to learn.

It took me a long time (I was starting to get panicky around Christmas, due to my lack of progress) to get into the groove with it. Had it not been for the pending deadline, I'd have left it. But, making progress now and feeling GREAT about that.

PW and more specifically, recital commitments have advanced my playing light years from where it was. Full preparation steam ahead now, and until the curtain rises.

Hope everyone is progressing well ...

#2218991 - 01/22/14 05:19 PM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: Whizbang]
500 Post Club Member

Woowoo!

#2219825 - 01/24/14 02:04 AM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: Whizbang]
sinophilia Offline

Wow, this has been so hard. Extremely useful but really hard for me; not so much the learning and practicing part, but the performance/recording part. I'm a hundred years behind in this compartment. Fast pieces like this one are killing me. Might be that I haven't learned how to speed up a piece in an efficient way yet, or it's just that my brain and fingers are not fast enough.

With this kind of non classical pieces I found that I get pretty quickly from the very slow learning the notes phase to the "it clicks!" phase when muscle memory sets in, but then all sorts of mistakes pop up and anything could happen, i.e. I may concentrate and stop thinking and be able to play it all through quite well, or more often than not I black out completely in several places that I thought I know well.

Anyway, I have my recording! It's almost 3 minutes with the repetitions! Awwww grin

#2219847 - 01/24/14 04:20 AM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: Whizbang]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I`ve got to the fun stage with this. Mistahes are fun, Joplin wouldn`t have it any other way. . . brash and loud! I`ve loved this from the moment I started playin it. It won`t be my last! I get to hear the rest when the recital starts!
Just wackin` me jo-anna out of tune in readiness . . .

""

#2220001 - 01/24/14 11:31 AM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: Whizbang]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

sinophilia - you have your recording? Wow! Congratulations!

I thought I was going to get all this practicing done starting this past week, and then my water heater broke and I moved all the furniture out of a small room into my piano room, and I can't even climb over enough furniture to get to my keyboard! So today's project is to move furniture back in to the small room laugh

I wonder what happens next?

Cathy

#2220022 - 01/24/14 12:14 PM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: Whizbang]
wj3 Offline

Loc: Salem, Or/Las Vegas, Nv
Well, I might be in a world of hurt. My wife and I sold our house and bought two smaller houses. So we are becoming snow birds between Salem, Or and Las Vegas, Nevada. My piano is on its way to Nevada and I have been practicing on my little Yamaha 76 key keyboard, what little practicing I can do. We are heading to Vegas in two weeks so maybe I'll have a little time to get my recording done. Its going to be what it is probably not what I wanted to do.....

2010 Roland KR-115m, Yamaha clp-430
Working on Alfred Adult AIO 3 Super Special sorta song,Simply Joplin Bethena,Solace,Burgmuller

#2221160 - 01/26/14 09:42 PM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: sinophilia]
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Originally Posted By: sinophilia
With this kind of non classical pieces I found that I get pretty quickly from the very slow learning the notes phase to the "it clicks!" phase when muscle memory sets in, but then all sorts of mistakes pop up and anything could happen, i.e. I may concentrate and stop thinking and be able to play it all through quite well, or more often than not I black out completely in several places that I thought I know well.
The very thing I've been finding! After a couple attempts at recording, I realized that I had to go back and learn more deeply the parts that were only in muscle memory. I've been spending the last several days on this and am starting to see progress again. I even got two good play-throughs today, but the sound of snow blowers outside kind of ruined the recordings.

#2224011 - 02/01/14 05:40 AM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: Whizbang]
dire tonic Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: uk south
Greetings ragtime friends. Not having enough time lately has left me squeezed between getting something presentable on either the Chopin Nocturne I've committed to or Country Club Rag, but not both I fear.

The better news is I already have a recording ready to go on Maple Leaf so that is covered, but for now I've decided I must pass on Country Club and hope that it will be picked up by someone else? Unfortunately it only dawned on me in the last few days that progress on CC had been grinding to a halt and more seriously, available time ahead looked to be shrinking.. apologies to all (and in particular to CebuKid who'd asked to have it played) if the recital is left with a gap. I'm hoping the remaining six weeks will give someone enough time to take it on.

#2224103 - 02/01/14 10:20 AM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: Whizbang]
Greener Offline

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014

Loc: Toronto
Sorry to hear of this DT. Glad you are still in the show.

Questions:
1.) Is pedal ever used in rags?
There are no indications of it on the sheet. Plus, it goes like blazes, so I doubt it. But, would like to ask about as have not seen any mention of it (but perhaps missed it) and really have no clue.

2.) A bit early for this yet, but will this recital be a YouTube submission format?

thx

#2224133 - 02/01/14 11:28 AM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: Greener]
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Greener

Questions:
1.) Is pedal ever used in rags?
There are no indications of it on the sheet. Plus, it goes like blazes, so I doubt it. But, would like to ask about as have not seen any mention of it (but perhaps missed it) and really have no clue.

Pedal is definitely used in rags. At the very least you'll tend to use it to sustain the bass long enough to move your hand to the chord.

Originally Posted By: Greener

2.) A bit early for this yet, but will this recital be a YouTube submission format?

I'm thinking to just use the piano forums quarterly recital software, if Sam S will show me how. It should support both video and audio links IIRC.

#2224305 - 02/01/14 05:48 PM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: Whizbang]
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, OH
So is a video required, or is the audio alone sufficient? I've got a recording done of the Palm Leaf Rag, but no video to go with it. Should I be thinking about putting together some images to use in a video?

#2224325 - 02/01/14 06:21 PM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: MaryBee]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia, USA
If we use the recital software (which I am happy to help with after the current quarterly recital is done) then the only thing that is required is an mp3 recording. Video is great to have but an optional extra.

Sam

#2224326 - 02/01/14 06:21 PM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: Whizbang]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

The forum recital software takes only .mp3 files. There's a place on the submission form where you can provide a link to a video if you want to.

It's .mp3s for me smile

Cathy

#2224360 - 02/01/14 07:44 PM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: Whizbang]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

You guys are way ahead of me in being prepped for this! I can play most of it in chunks at a nice tempo (not fast. . .) and today I started just playing it thru sometime so I have it in my head. But I'm sure not ready to record already! This sounds like it will be fun to listen to.

Cathy

#2224597 - 02/02/14 12:02 PM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: dire tonic]
CebuKid Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: dire tonic
Greetings ragtime friends. Not having enough time lately has left me squeezed between getting something presentable on either the Chopin Nocturne I've committed to or Country Club Rag, but not both I fear.

The better news is I already have a recording ready to go on Maple Leaf so that is covered, but for now I've decided I must pass on Country Club and hope that it will be picked up by someone else? Unfortunately it only dawned on me in the last few days that progress on CC had been grinding to a halt and more seriously, available time ahead looked to be shrinking.. apologies to all (and in particular to CebuKid who'd asked to have it played) if the recital is left with a gap. I'm hoping the remaining six weeks will give someone enough time to take it on.

Hi Dire Tonic,
No worries. It's excellent that you've complete MLR. That was a tough one!
I actually PM'd whizbang a month ago that I would be bowing out.

The holidays, career, and other "distractions" have cut into my bench-time. "Easy Winners" is actually about a 5-month piece, easily, and I lost months of time.

The good news: I have the 1st 2 strains up to a "respectable" tempo.

The bad news: There's no way I can finihs the last 2 tricky strains and then put it all together by mid-March.

I'm still on the fence about submitting an "incomplete" version - but it would kind of be in the spirit of Marvin Hamslish's piano version of Entertainer where he only played the first 2 strains...lol.

I've always been purist when it comes to Joplin, and have always played and performed the repeats. So I still don't feel comfortable submitting an incomplete work.

With that said, I'd like to get everyone else's thoughts on this, but would also like to leave my name out for now. I noticed nobody has taken my open slot so we shall see. The 1st 2 strains do sound nice still...
If there's one thing I now appreciate from reading the comments....Joplin ain't easy!! That's for sure. Either way, I look forward to listening to everyone's playing!

Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
- Berthold Auerbach

#2224624 - 02/02/14 12:30 PM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: CebuKid]
sinophilia Offline

Originally Posted By: CebuKid
If there's one thing I now appreciate from reading the comments....Joplin ain't easy!! That's for sure.

I'm with you! And I had a simplified version.

For the record, I made a video by adding my digital audio recording to the (heavily annotated and drenched in sweat!) sheet music and clips of the acoustic, so I have both a YouTube link and an mp3.

#2224629 - 02/02/14 12:44 PM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: Whizbang]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Play it, Cebukid - shortened version, who cares? This is for fun.

Cathy

Page 14 of 19 < 1 2 ... 12 13 14 15 16 18 19 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Maurizio Pollini at Carnegie Hall
by Works1
Today at 12:53 PM
Steinway event
by Radio.Octave
Today at 11:18 AM
Some Questions About "Piano Magic"
by newbert
Today at 10:58 AM
Original method for harmonic hearing development
by Nahum
Today at 03:19 AM
First Digital Piano - Advice needed
by chicobalay
Today at 02:37 AM
Who's Online
141 registered (accordeur, ando, alfredo capurso, 38 invisible), 1726 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76599 Members
42 Forums
158399 Topics
2326051 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission