Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 15 of 19 < 1 2 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 >
Topic Options
#2224691 - 02/02/14 03:05 PM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: Whizbang]
dire tonic Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: uk south
yes, you should definitely play it, CebuKid, and the second strain rounds off quite nicely with a finishing chord. I can hear it's quite an intricate one...would take a lot of work.

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2224803 - 02/02/14 06:43 PM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: Whizbang]
Whizbang Offline
500 Post Club Member

I hope you'll perform and AABBA version of "The Easy Winners," Cebukid. I posted this themed recital in part to introduce ABF to Joplin but also in part because I'd love to listen to what ABF can do with Joplin.

#2224818 - 02/02/14 07:16 PM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: Whizbang]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia, USA
Yes, please play, even if it is just the first half. My version of "Fig Leaf" will be very slow. Its supposed to be a slow march tempo. Not sure what that would be, maybe 100 to the quarter? I'm playing it at 1/4 that speed...

Sam

#2224849 - 02/02/14 08:34 PM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: Whizbang]
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, OH
CebuKid, you have to play it. I originally wanted that piece for myself, but you got it first, so you can't back out now! smile And I don't mind hearing the incomplete version.

#2224986 - 02/03/14 03:26 AM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: Whizbang]
Allard Offline

Loc: Netherlands
I still need to learn the C and D parts of Swipesy. Time is running out :s

#2225205 - 02/03/14 12:41 PM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: Sam S]
SwissMS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
Originally Posted By: Sam S
Yes, please play, even if it is just the first half. My version of "Fig Leaf" will be very slow. Its supposed to be a slow march tempo. Not sure what that would be, maybe 100 to the quarter? I'm playing it at 1/4 that speed...

Sam

I have a similar issue with Chrysanthemum. I don't think I am going to make it to the tempo that I hear on Youtube. It is memorized, but it still has some slow finger twisters. Right now my teacher has me alternating 1/2measures slow and 1/2 at tempo, and I hope that gets me bit closer. I have to say, this has been a lot more difficult than I naïvely expected!

Working on:
Handel - Allemande in A Minor
Bach - Inv. #14
Beethoven - Sonata #79 2nd mvmt
Kuhlau op. 88 - 3

#2225229 - 02/03/14 01:45 PM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: Whizbang]
CebuKid Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks everyone. Hey whizbang...count me BACK IN!! smile

I will submit an "abbreviated" version: AABBA ...

Of course, I'd like to eventually finish this...perhaps a re-submission to the summer recital.

Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
- Berthold Auerbach

#2225230 - 02/03/14 01:47 PM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: SwissMS]
CebuKid Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: SwissMS

Sam

I have a similar issue with Chrysanthemum. I don't think I am going to make it to the tempo that I hear on Youtube. It is memorized, but it still has some slow finger twisters. Right now my teacher has me alternating 1/2measures slow and 1/2 at tempo, and I hope that gets me bit closer. I have to say, this has been a lot more difficult than I naïvely expected!

Hi SwissM....were you referring to my version? smile
I think Chrysanthemum still sounds nice even a tad slower than my version.

- Berthold Auerbach

#2225262 - 02/03/14 03:10 PM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: CebuKid]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I finally went and listened to someone good play "Fig Leaf". The famous (or infamous) "BachScholar" from youtube. And he goes at about quarter = 80 or 90 (he varies the tempo). He is very smooth and efficient.

So my tempo is a little less than half speed right now. That makes me feel a little better...

Sam

#2225634 - 02/04/14 07:51 AM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: Whizbang]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Loc: Italy
Whizbang, whatever method you choose for this recital, I beg you... put my recording before dire tonic's full version, because if you put it after, it will sound unbearably slow, and terribly empty with so few notes grin

#2225766 - 02/04/14 12:56 PM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: sinophilia]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
Originally Posted By: sinophilia
Whizbang, whatever method you choose for this recital, I beg you... put my recording before dire tonic's full version, because if you put it after, it will sound unbearably slow, and terribly empty with so few notes grin

I think you're going to end up starting a trend with that request.. grin

#2226183 - 02/05/14 07:43 AM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: sinophilia]
dire tonic Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Sinophilia, I sincerely hope the running order won't discomfort you - it certainly shouldn't because Maple Leaf-lite is a charming rag in its own right. But feel free to slot mine in anywhere.

Derulux - I think you've hit on a solution. Run the recital in tempo order.

#2226373 - 02/05/14 02:35 PM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: Whizbang]
Whizbang Offline
500 Post Club Member

Heh, well, if I use the forum software, the list will play in the order uploaded.

#2226701 - 02/06/14 12:39 AM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: dire tonic]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: dire tonic

Sinophilia, I sincerely hope the running order won't discomfort you - it certainly shouldn't because Maple Leaf-lite is a charming rag in its own right. But feel free to slot mine in anywhere.

I am NOT going first! laugh

#2226793 - 02/06/14 05:35 AM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: Derulux]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I played the whole thing at once last night for the first time, taking all the repeats - lots of errors and dead-air pauses - took about 7 minutes. Now I'm exhausted...

Sam

#2226857 - 02/06/14 09:39 AM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: Derulux]
dire tonic Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Derulux
Originally Posted By: dire tonic

- it never occurred to me the running order could impose a mark of disgrace laugh

#2226868 - 02/06/14 10:04 AM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: Derulux]
SwissMS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland

Look at the bright side. If you go first, no one has anything to compare to! grin Still, I think I would rather be buried in the middle...

Working on:
Handel - Allemande in A Minor
Bach - Inv. #14
Beethoven - Sonata #79 2nd mvmt
Kuhlau op. 88 - 3

#2226994 - 02/06/14 01:59 PM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: Sam S]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
I played the whole thing at once last night for the first time, taking all the repeats - lots of errors and dead-air pauses - took about 7 minutes. Now I'm exhausted...

Sam

I play mine, but can`t remember if I done the repeats . . . .!

Edited by peterws (02/06/14 02:00 PM)

""

#2227000 - 02/06/14 02:12 PM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: SwissMS]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: SwissMS

Look at the bright side. If you go first, no one has anything to compare to! grin Still, I think I would rather be buried in the middle...

Aye, but then like dire tonic said, you're the one that took the rag "too fast". grin

Though I'd give him a pass on Maple Leaf. Traditionally, it's one of the faster rags anyway. Ragtime Dance is up there, too, but I think it's a few ticks slower. Sometimes not the way I play it, unfortunately, but I think it's got a rhythm that works well up-tempo without gunning for the hills..

#2227302 - 02/07/14 03:33 AM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: Whizbang]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Loc: Italy
If I am not mistaken, it is about Maple Leaf Rag that Joplin wrote:

"Do not play this piece fast. It is never right to play ragtime fast."

And did I obey! grin

#2227381 - 02/07/14 10:43 AM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: sinophilia]
Whizbang Offline
500 Post Club Member

It's actually "Leola" (1905) that first contains this admonition, which appears in quite a few subsequent Joplin rags.

In fact, the only Joplin rag I can think of that specifically permits a fast tempo is "Stoptime Rag," which is marked as "Fast or slow".

(It also says "To get the desired effect of 'Stoptime', the pianist should stamp the heel of one foot heavily on the floor wherever the word 'Stamp' appears in the music. Very fun piece, if hard on the floor.)

#2227403 - 02/07/14 11:30 AM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: Whizbang]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

" It is never right to play ragtime fast."

Was thinking this as I played my own . . . I always mess up big if I does it too fast!

""

#2227762 - 02/08/14 02:15 AM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: sinophilia]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

And did I obey! grin

It's probably true, but at the same time, he did write "Tempo di Marcia" on top of the piece. wink

I think, with all rags, they have their "groove" for each pianist, and it's more important that the pianist gets into that groove than tries to adhere to any specific metronome number. I've heard Maple Leaf, for example, at tempos 30 bpm apart and it sounded just as good. All depends how you play it. smile

Originally Posted By: Whizbang
In fact, the only Joplin rag I can think of that specifically permits a fast tempo is "Stoptime Rag," which is marked as "Fast or slow".

(It also says "To get the desired effect of 'Stoptime', the pianist should stamp the heel of one foot heavily on the floor wherever the word 'Stamp' appears in the music. Very fun piece, if hard on the floor.)

Don't recall what the tempo marking is for Ragtime Dance off the top of my head, but it also has a "stoptime" section with the same marking. One of the few times I've ever encountered that specific marking.. I would have thought "Stamp" or "Stomp" would be enough! laugh

#2227765 - 02/08/14 02:20 AM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: Whizbang]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Well, most of Original Rags is beginning to have a little bounce. But the octaves in the D part, and at the end of A - I don't know how up-tempo I'll be able to get them. Altho they are certainly better than I could have done them several years ago. I could play the ones in the A part at a quarter note = 55 this evening. I'm shooting for 65 for the recording, which is just a tad faster than I originally played The Entertainer for my first quarterly recital.

Maybe I should expand on SwissMS's new routine (she describes it in the FOYD thread) and record/play everything up to tempo until I get to those two spots, and then play them slower!

Well, maybe that wasn't the idea behind what her teacher proposed laugh

FWIW - I wouldn't feel badly, Sam, about not playing at Bach Scholar's tempos. (I'm one of those folks who doesn't particularly like his Joplin, tho.) And I still start each practice session with a run-thru at 40. So we're kind of on the same page here!

Cathy

#2227767 - 02/08/14 02:23 AM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: Derulux]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

...I think, with all rags, they have their "groove" for each pianist, and it's more important that the pianist gets into that groove than tries to adhere to any specific metronome number. I've heard Maple Leaf, for example, at tempos 30 bpm apart and it sounded just as good. All depends how you play it. smile

thumb

Excellent post, I think.

Cathy

#2228096 - 02/08/14 08:38 PM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: jotur]
CebuKid Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: jotur

FWIW - I wouldn't feel badly, Sam, about not playing at Bach Scholar's tempos. (I'm one of those folks who doesn't particularly like his Joplin, tho.) And I still start each practice session with a run-thru at 40. So we're kind of on the same page here!

Cathy

Ha!! I've never been a big fan of his either. He has his own beliefs on both Joplin AND Bach tempo's, and I used to call him part of the "tempo police." It's a much debated topic, because of Joplin's lack of tempo indicators on his scores, as well as the generic statement, "don't play to fast."...lol. Because of that, B.S. would argue with viewers about tempo and always insist that his is "correct."

There's an excellent amateur on YouTube named "chocotiger". His Joplin pieces are the most viewed and most popular. In fact, his "Fig Leaf Rag" is the most viewed.

- Berthold Auerbach

#2228109 - 02/08/14 08:56 PM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: Whizbang]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Oh, I loved that chocotiger Fig Leaf! Very nice. And not "too fast", even with the uptempo at the end.

Just another example, to me, of how melodic Joplin's pieces can be when not played at lightning speed smile

Sam - 40 will be fine!

Cathy

#2228142 - 02/08/14 09:47 PM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: Sam S]
AZ_Astro Offline

Loc: Tempe, Arizona

Sam

I think you mentioned in an earlier thread about how you had played it so many times that you were getting sick of it. I have been playing through my (meager) AB sections of The Easy Money - Easy Version and I am still struggling. I can play A with errors at an irregular 70% tempo; the B section is not in any tempo yet. So - I think it's clear that Joplin is challenging!

I am on the fence now about being able to record even the A section alone. That's where I'm at right now. I'm glad CebuKid will still be playing this piece. I guess I need some inspiration.

I mean, when you've played something like 500 times and it still ain't close, that suggests something doesn't it? And when you tire of practicing it the required 10 times per day (about where I was for awhile), ... sigh...

I'm just glad I that I chose an easy Tchaikovsky piece!

Edited by AZ_Astro (02/08/14 09:56 PM)

#2228239 - 02/09/14 04:35 AM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: AZ_Astro]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Mine will contain errors; all I want id to be able to come through the other side as it were. That would happen in a live performance, and to be able to pick up after you trip up is mandatory . . .however you do it! Keep smilin`!

I nearly got there yesterday . . . with nearly all the repeats; the keyboard`s still glowin`
The strain on me face is showin` tiki

""

#2228250 - 02/09/14 05:40 AM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: AZ_Astro]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Yes, the Chocotiger "Fig Leaf" is nice - he even makes some mistakes along the way. That's encouraging.

I'm no longer sick of playing it. As the tempo edges up and the number of wrong notes edges down I'm beginning to enjoy it again!

Sam

Page 15 of 19 < 1 2 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Darrell Fandrich is Well
by chernobieff
09/21/14 06:04 PM
Two treble clefs
by Amwriter
09/21/14 04:27 PM
Arpeggios! How and how much do you practice them?
by malkin
09/21/14 04:17 PM
Canon in D in 2+ parts/voices
by kobethuy
09/21/14 02:50 PM
Advice on Hammer purchase.
by plns
09/21/14 01:37 PM
Who's Online
110 registered (accordeur, 36251, Al LaPorte, Amwriter, 38 invisible), 1383 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76277 Members
42 Forums
157673 Topics
2315972 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission