Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
82 registered (A Guy, Almaviva, 26 invisible), 1197 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 3 of 19 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 18 19 >
Topic Options
#2153030 - 09/18/13 02:23 PM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: Whizbang]
peekay Offline

May I play Reflection Rag please?

Thank you!

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2153058 - 09/18/13 03:12 PM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: peterws]
Whizbang Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: peterws
CAN I have the Palm Leaf Rag Please?? if I can have more than one, that is . . .

Hi peterws. I'll mark you in provisionally--depending on signups, some of us may double up--but if there's someone else who later wants that as a primary, I'll give them priority.

#2153059 - 09/18/13 03:14 PM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: SwissMS]
Whizbang Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: SwissMS
OK, I am already being difficult. May I change from Pleasant Moments to Chrysanthemun? I did not get a chance to listen to it until this evening and I really like it much better!

Gotcha! Chrysanthemum was dedicated to Joplin's second wife, Freddie. She died from an illness something like 10 months after he married her.

#2153064 - 09/18/13 03:20 PM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: peekay]
Whizbang Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: peekay
May I play Reflection Rag please?

Gotcha! Reflection is interesting. Joplin and Stark had had a falling out around 1907-1908 and Stark didn't publish many of Joplin's later rags. But after Joplin's death in 1917, Stark came out with this.

So Stark had probably had a copy that he didn't choose to publish earlier but decided to release after Joplin's death.

And it's a really interesting rag. It's possibly incompletely sketched out. But what I find striking is it's got this really wistful quality. It's almost like the rag seems like a perfect retrospective to the idea that was Joplin--from his growing successes post Maple Leaf to his later struggles with his opera and his illness.

#2153071 - 09/18/13 03:26 PM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: Whizbang]
Dipsy Offline

Could you put me down for Leola please?

Edited by Dipsy (09/18/13 03:30 PM)

#2153089 - 09/18/13 03:42 PM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: Dipsy]
Whizbang Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Dipsy
Could you put me down for Leola please?

Gotcha!

#2153113 - 09/18/13 03:58 PM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: Whizbang]
Playagain Offline

Whizbang,
I am really enjoying reading your insights into some of the pieces. It's very interesting! Thank you!

What are you going to play? smile I hope you'll be able to play a piece you'd like to play too, after doing all this work! Thanks for everything!

#2153116 - 09/18/13 04:01 PM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: Whizbang]
Whizbang Offline
500 Post Club Member

I notice no one has signed up for the collaborations!

Let me provide some background on them.

Scott Hayden was Joplin's brother-in-law. Hayden was Belle Hayden's brother. As far as I know Hayden doesn't have any pure solo compositions, but he worked with Joplin on at least three rags, "Something Doing," "Kismet," and "Sunflower Slow Drag". If we fill up, I'll probably release the latter into the pool.

Arthur Marshall was a student and close friend of Joplin. All told, I think his name is on about 8 rags, some with Joplin, but he's got the excellent solo rags "Kinklets" and "The Pippin". Furthermore, he claimed that the collaboration rag "Lily Queen" was really a rag of his that Joplin had done some editing on. Most of the ragtimers died relatively early, but Marshall lived to around 1968. However, he'd stopped playing some years earlier, having gotten something that sounds suspiciously like focal dystonia. When musical tastes moved on in the '20s, the industry wasn't necessarily kind to the folks who'd created ragtime.

Louis Chauvin is a different matter. He was apparently an amazing performer by the reports of those who knew him. He didn't read music, but could compose rags on the fly, sing, and dance. He fell victim to sporting culture, dying in his mid-20s, probably as a result of opium addiction. Joplin knew him and Heliotrope Bouquet is a result of collaboration between him and Joplin about two years before Chauvin's death. Heliotrope Bouquet blends themes from Chauvin in the A and B sections with Joplin's development of those themes in the C and D sections and I think it's masterful.

The following link isn't true, except in the sense that maybe Hollywood can distill fiction into truthiness, but it shows a fictional encounter between John Stark (Art Carney), Louis Chauvin (Clifton Davis), and Scott Joplin (Billy Dee Williams). Stark sponsors a "cutting contest" and you see a few folks abusing the piano -- don't watch their hands... they're Hollywood piano hands -- before Joplin steps in and demonstrates polished musicality. You see some cakewalking. Then Chauvin steps in and plays Joplin's Maple Leaf, which Joplin previously had had trouble finding a publisher for. Good thing Stark was in the room wink

#2153127 - 09/18/13 04:12 PM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: Playagain]
Whizbang Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Playagain
What are you going to play? smile I hope you'll be able to play a piece you'd like to play too, after doing all this work! Thanks for everything!

Like Derulux, I'm holding off until I see what's available at the end. If it's something I know, fine. If it's something I don't know, better.

And if we fill up, I'll pull a couple of good rags out of reserve and let the signup sheet mix itself up a bit. (Of course, folks already committed to a piece will have the option to switch to the new stuff when it appears. No punishment for signing on early smile

#2153156 - 09/18/13 04:51 PM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: Whizbang]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Loc: Italy
Originally Posted By: Whizbang
I found a couple that I'd listed in the Resources post.

Here's the better of the two that I'd found. It omits the C section and simplifies the other sections.

Oh, it also moves the key signature from four flats into no sharps or flats, which is both a blessing and a curse.

Thank you Whizbang!

#2153179 - 09/18/13 05:23 PM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: Whizbang]
Playagain Offline

Ok! Can't wait to see what you and Derulux pick eventually! smile

#2153214 - 09/18/13 06:12 PM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: Whizbang]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
EDIT: Oh, and for the simplified versions I posted, -make sure- to pull a copy down right away. For the full versions, I don't think IMSLP is going anywhere soon, but you never know with someone's personal site--I do think the sites I found were legit... folks posting their own arrangements for download.

That was a good site. I may join it. Only fifteen bucks a year. Unlimited downloads.
Please believe me. I downloaded and looked at that before asking for it. I like the arrangement for my level. I knew what my teacher looks for in approving anything for me. I know it would have been cute for me to do Maple Leaf Rag since people get my name confused. No way I'm doing that now. I'm banging my head against the wall enough already. smile

I still can't believe I'm doing this. Gee... Ragtime is just plain fun. I get to use my Honky Tonk piano in pianoteq. smile I really didn't have a wish to be performing for others. But gee... this one is just too fun...had to jump on it. Grabbed possibly the easiest piece on the list. smile This will be my first recital. Except for Ecco Fatto.

#2153223 - 09/18/13 06:21 PM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: Whizbang]
peekay Offline

Gotcha! Reflection is interesting. Joplin and Stark had had a falling out around 1907-1908 and Stark didn't publish many of Joplin's later rags. But after Joplin's death in 1917, Stark came out with this.

So Stark had probably had a copy that he didn't choose to publish earlier but decided to release after Joplin's death.

And it's a really interesting rag. It's possibly incompletely sketched out. But what I find striking is it's got this really wistful quality. It's almost like the rag seems like a perfect retrospective to the idea that was Joplin--from his growing successes post Maple Leaf to his later struggles with his opera and his illness.

Thanks for the background!! This will be my first ABF recital so I'm pretty excited! smile

#2153224 - 09/18/13 06:22 PM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: Whizbang]
stumbler Offline

Loc: Toronto
Whizbang, any chance of including Crush Collision March?

When I saw your recital suggestion, that was my first idea. I took a stab at it in the past, but couldn't master it. (Don't know if I'll have better success this time.)

Though it hasn't the beauty of the rags, who can resist a train wreck?

EDIT - On second thought, this is a bad idea (unless someone else plays it). I'd badly mangle the piece the injure myself in the process.

Edited by stumbler (09/18/13 06:37 PM)
Edit Reason: bad idea

#2153237 - 09/18/13 06:38 PM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: stumbler]
Whizbang Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: stumbler
Whizbang, any chance of including Crush Collision March?

When I saw your recital suggestion, that was my first idea. I took a stab at it in the past, but couldn't master it. (Don't know if I'll have better success this time.)

Though it hasn't the beauty of the rags, who can resist a train wreck?

Added just for you and put your name on it!

For background for folks, this non-syncopated piece by Joplin pre-dates Maple Leaf. It's a march that commemorates an event probably around 1895 near Temple, TX in which a train company sold tickets to folks to witness the staged collision of two locomotives that were going to be decommissioned. For the three days of the event, the town created for the event became the largest town in Texas.

While you might think the "Crush" related to what was happening to the locomotives, it's actually the last name of the organizer. The piece actually re-enacts the collision.

EDIT: No injuries allowed! I'll leave your name on it for now while you mull it over. I'll see about getting it in the recital though and I'll post some resource info on it to see if there's someone who wants to take it on.

Edited by Whizbang (09/18/13 06:43 PM)

#2153248 - 09/18/13 06:46 PM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: rnaple]
Whizbang Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: rnaple
I really didn't have a wish to be performing for others.

You're performing for yourself; you're just sharing it with others!

I hear ya, though. I find performances really hard, but they really give me a goal to strive for and I haven't regretted any recorded performance I've done, even if I'm not always completely pleased with the result. And I do get better each time.

#2153258 - 09/18/13 07:01 PM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: jotur]
Whizbang Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: jotur
I really like the flute choir playing Easy Winners (it's listed to the right of the video Whizbang posted)

Added a link to the flute choir; it's great!

#2153261 - 09/18/13 07:02 PM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: Whizbang]
Dipsy Offline

whizbang - thanks for all the background information and for organising this so efficiently - you've even got the sheet music up for us to check over!

I'm not too hopeful about how good a job I'll do with Leola. I normally go for slow ponderous things where I don't have to move my fingers too quickly - but this'll be a genuine effort (and, at the risk of making myself very unpopular here... when playing the options through - I found myself 'switching off' very quickly - not a good sign). This feels like a bigger challenge that the mazurkas which we have less than a month to prepare!

#2153265 - 09/18/13 07:06 PM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: Dipsy]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
This feels like a bigger challenge that the mazurkas which we have less than a month to prepare!

Three months.

Polyphonist

#2153274 - 09/18/13 07:12 PM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: Dipsy]
Whizbang Offline
500 Post Club Member

I'm not too hopeful about how good a job I'll do with Leola. I normally go for slow ponderous things where I don't have to move my fingers too quickly - but this'll be a genuine effort

Don't be afraid to simplify or reduce scope. One of the easiest ways with ragtime to simplify is to just pick one of the sections and play it.

The stride bass can be challenging, and I plan to post some tips on managing it, but almost all ragtime has sections that are sixteen measures in length. With about six months to go, if you were just going to do one section, that would give you a whole month to work on four bars and two months to string it all together. If, instead, you choose to go with a more complete AA BB A, then that's just 8 measures per month and a couple months to polish!

With Leola, one of the tricky parts is the right-hand thirds in the B section, as I know from experience.

Per my teacher:

'This "fancy Maple Leaf" uses the same basic harmonic and thematic layout as that famous rag as well as the same keys/key relationship (A flat/A flat/D flat/return to A flat), though in a more graceful, lyrical style, so might be a good stepping stone toward Maple Leaf... begins with a lovely arpeggiated melody and has a rather involved use of 'thirds' in the second section. Rather simple last section must be treated with care to retain its lyrical yet regal quality without sounding bombastic or strained'

You can do it! Looking forward to whatever you serve up!

EDIT: Oh, and David Thomas Roberts is a pretty amazing pianist and composer. He's playing the rag fairly up-tempo, but Leola is very, very forgiving of slower tempos. Joplin often admonishes something like "Do not play fast. It is never right to play ragtime fast." Now, what 'fast' means is up for debate, but you literally see someone weighing in on every popular ragtime video about how the performer is playing 'too fast' smile

Edited by Whizbang (09/18/13 07:15 PM)

#2153284 - 09/18/13 07:27 PM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: Whizbang]
woodog Offline

Loc: Bowling Green, KY
Another history lesson about Ragtime music, from the town where I now live.

I ride my bicycle through the Shake Rag community on a daily basis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernest_Hogan

Forrest
Bach 848, 866
Schumann Op. 15

#2153294 - 09/18/13 07:41 PM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: woodog]
Whizbang Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: woodog
Another history lesson about Ragtime music, from the town where I now live.

I ride my bicycle through the Shake Rag community on a daily basis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernest_Hogan

Forrest

Interesting! I hadn't read about him in any of the history or biographies I'd read.

#2153295 - 09/18/13 07:42 PM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: Playagain]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
Originally Posted By: Playagain
Ok! Can't wait to see what you and Derulux pick eventually! smile

I'm debating whether to stick to a score, or ad lib on top of what's written. I think it'll depend on which piece I end up with. Some of the lesser-known ones, I'd like to stick closer to the score so everyone can hear it "as written", but I'm not entirely sure what I'll end up doing.. we'll see in March! grin

#2153344 - 09/18/13 09:22 PM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: Whizbang]
rnaple Offline

Don't be afraid to simplify or reduce scope. One of the easiest ways with ragtime to simplify is to just pick one of the sections and play it....
You can do it! Looking forward to whatever you serve up!

Does this mean that I can up mine if it's working out a ....lets say... little too good?

Ya see.... I have a teacher who focuses on strength and runs with it. And.... well.....
I decided after my last post to take a look at my piece. Just a look. After all...I have serious stuff to practice....right? I made a pot of coffee and poured a cup. Then started playing. The coffee pot turns off after two hours. I turned around and the pot was off. Doh! I'm through the first two pages with my right hand. This is going to get me into trouble with my teacher tomorrow. If I didn't look at it.... it's supposed to sound like a "Sack of Hammers Rag". It ain't gonna.
This thing is addicting. It's fun. It's funner than playing Merry Melodies. I've always liked Ragtime. But was holding off for now. How did I get in this mess? It's all your fault, Whizbang. May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your groin! smile

BTW: I went through a few piano's to find one that I liked the sound with this. The pianoteq different Honky Tonk's didn't cut it. Believe me, a Bosendorfer is not for this. C7 ain't much better. So I found a Steinway D in "Rock T-Shift Grand" that is pretty good. Would like to dirty it up a little. Maybe overdo the sympathetic resonance? This is in Ivory II.

#2153346 - 09/18/13 09:36 PM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: Derulux]
Playagain Offline

Maybe you could play each section straight, and then ad lib each repeat of that section. smile
I'm looking forward to hearing your selection as well as everyone's!

#2153357 - 09/18/13 10:25 PM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: rnaple]
Whizbang Offline
500 Post Club Member

Does this mean that I can up mine if it's working out a ....lets say... little too good?

Heck, yeah. With the simplified arrangements, I was at the mercy at what people had posted for free. But for the popular Joplin rags (Maple Leaf, Entertainer, and to some extent Easy Winners and Solace), there's a whole spectrum of arrangements--they just require research and a small investment.

This thing is addicting. It's fun. It's funner than playing Merry Melodies. I've always liked Ragtime. But was holding off for now. How did I get in this mess? It's all your fault, Whizbang. May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your groin! smile

heck, yeah. Pianistic ragtime fits under the hands well... it's like your hands are dancing with each other. I was listening to some today trying to figure out the charms. It's dance music, of course, and thinking about it in that context, you get this strong beat that's a lower body thing but you can use the off beats to do things with your upper body. Not that I know how to dance smile

There's a lot of nuance in this music that is amazingly difficult to bring out--I'm pretty amazed when I hear my teacher play Joplin. I can actually grok late Joseph Lamb, but doing Joplin right is... well, he's SO delicate in some rags.

Maybe overdo the sympathetic resonance? This is in Ivory II.

Paradoxically, ragtime seems super flexible in terms of tone. Of many genres of music, it still sounds listenable on sour pianos or even exceedingly bright pianos. Some players would put tacks in the hammers to play that style of music!

Basically, you have a lot of flexibility. When I got my piano, whose name turned out to be Mabel, I remarked how well the tone seemed to suit classic ragtime. There's sort of a clarity and cheerfulness about the tone, with a plump but measured bass that seems to work with my piano, but I've also played a few others with different tones that seem to work well.

#2153432 - 09/19/13 01:05 AM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: Whizbang]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Ad lib! Ad lib! smile

For some of us, Ron, ragtime is more addictive than Einaudi is for Monica. You're doomed.

Cathy

#2153463 - 09/19/13 02:36 AM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: Whizbang]
Anne H Offline

Loc: New Orleans
There are a bunch of great recordings by various artists on Spotify as well that I found. It's great to have so many internet resources for this kind of thing.
Faure - Nocturne Op 36/4

#2153490 - 09/19/13 04:06 AM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: Whizbang]
Allard Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Just listened to the "easier" compositions that were still available. I kinda like Swipesy (Cake Walk). Can I give it a try tonight? It might be much more than I can handle, given my complete lack of experience with Ragtime, but it sounds like a really fun piece.

#2153541 - 09/19/13 07:38 AM Re: Joplin-themed ABF recital signup thread [Re: jotur]
rnaple Offline

There's a lot of nuance in this music that is amazingly difficult to bring out--...
Paradoxically, ragtime seems super flexible in terms of tone.
Basically, you have a lot of flexibility. ...

I did notice that on the flexibility.
I've continued to adjust that one T-Shift Rock piano in my IvoryII. Got the hammers hard as I can. Changed it to an upright. Upped resonance and Timbre. It's a pretty darn good Ragtime piano now. Will probably keep obsessing over it for the best Ragtime I can create. Will ask over in the DP forum for suggestions on adjustments. Some of those people have much experience adjusting software pianos.

I got through the whole three pages quickly last night. I'm confident I've stumbled on a major catalyst to train my autonomic mind/nervous system to play both hands. This is seriously good. For me, when it contains rhythm. I find it much much easier for my nervous system to pick up the training.

I seriously need to thank you for a reason to get into Ragtime now. I seriously do think this is helping my overall learning in a major way.

Originally Posted By: jotur
... You're doomed....

That's what my momma said. smile

I don't know why these people work out to be my greatest teachers. First it is Nat King Cole. Then Robert Johnson. Now Scott Joplin. Must be something about the original creativity in the face of an otherwise destructive society.

Yes I really do like Einaudi and other new age as they call it. That's another one I haven't gotten into yet. Then, at the top right now I have stuff like Schindler's List and Somewhere in Time. Extremely sophisticated, orchestrated stuff with originating melody at the piano.

Page 3 of 19 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 18 19 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Guide to Teaching
by Arghhh
12/21/14 12:39 AM
Making a New York Steinway sound like a Hamburg Steinway
by nphase
12/20/14 10:24 PM
Merry Christmas from Brazil! Feliz Natal!!
by Piano_Brazil
12/20/14 09:19 PM
Rzewski: De Profundis
by pianoloverus
12/20/14 09:17 PM
Guide to skills level
by Gemgem
12/20/14 08:55 PM
Forum Stats
77375 Members
42 Forums
160029 Topics
2350017 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission