Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
89 registered (Anita Potter, bennevis, anotherscott, Beemer, Ben Boule, ando, 30 invisible), 1418 Guests and 31 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2152839 - 09/18/13 09:05 AM The things one finds in dusty corners.
TwoSnowflakes Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I was dropping my son off at preschool yesterday at our synagogue. Every time I go, I walk past a large auditorium, in which there's this piano under a dusty cover shoved in the far corner, on a dolly. A big one; though the room is so big that it's not apparent just how big it is until you get closer. I've never seen it played, I've never seen it without a cover.

It's a Steinway D-274. There's a small brass plaque on it identifying it as Samuel Barber's piano.

Huh. So that's what's under there.
Chopin, Mazurka Op. 67 No.4
With the pedal I love to meddle; When Paderewski comes this way... -Irving Berlin

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2152844 - 09/18/13 09:11 AM Re: The things one finds in dusty corners. [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
Michael Sayers Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Stockholms län, Sverige
I wonder why it doesn't it get played. A Steinway D is a lot of piano to have just sitting around.

M.

#2152849 - 09/18/13 09:21 AM Re: The things one finds in dusty corners. [Re: Michael Sayers]
TwoSnowflakes Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Michael Sayers
I wonder why it doesn't it get played. A Steinway D is a lot of piano to have just sitting around.

M.

I know, right? And it's not like the synagogue members are generally unmusical or uninterested. Heck, as a tribe, we sure do like us some piano.

Someone is tuning it, though. And the maintenance guy said that for the longest time there was a whole humidifier contraption with a sensor living under it that he said he was asked to make sure was working, but he doesn't know where it went or why it's not there anymore.
With the pedal I love to meddle; When Paderewski comes this way... -Irving Berlin

#2152880 - 09/18/13 10:11 AM Re: The things one finds in dusty corners. [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
PrestoConFuocco Offline

You need to play it! Bring it back to life! (It's Barber's piano for god's sake, it doesn't deserve to be left untouched.)

#2152905 - 09/18/13 10:39 AM Re: The things one finds in dusty corners. [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
TwoSnowflakes Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I did. After preschool dropoff today I decided to see if I had my second haydn movement memorized. The answer is "almost." I had my camera with me but it doesn't take the great audio. I recorded it anyway.

#2152906 - 09/18/13 10:40 AM Re: The things one finds in dusty corners. [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
Alan Lai Offline

Loc: USA/Hong Kong
Originally Posted By: TwoSnowflakes
I did. After preschool dropoff today I decided to see if I had my second haydn movement memorized. The answer is "almost." I had my camera with me but it doesn't take the great audio. I recorded it anyway.

Good for you!

#2152917 - 09/18/13 10:51 AM Re: The things one finds in dusty corners. [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pretoria South Africa
What an heirloom! and discovered in a synagogue.

And to think that Samuel Barber always wanted to be a composer ... here's what he wrote to his Mother at the age of 9.

"Dear Mother: I have written this to tell you my worrying secret. Now don't cry when you read it because it is neither yours nor my fault. I suppose I will have to tell it now without any nonsense. To begin with I was not meant to be an athlete. I was meant to be a composer, and will be I'm sure. I'll ask you one more thing.— Don't ask me to try to forget this unpleasant thing and go play football.—
Please—Sometimes I've been worrying about this
so much that it makes me mad (not very)."

I've got space in my Living Room if nobody wants it ...
but I'm sure the stingy holders of the piano won't
want to part with their windfall.

I will always remember Barber for his haunting
Adagio for Strings.

#2152940 - 09/18/13 11:29 AM Re: The things one finds in dusty corners. [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
TwoSnowflakes Offline
1000 Post Club Member

That's quite possibly the most adorable thing I've ever read from a child. Don't tell my own kids.

#2152952 - 09/18/13 11:56 AM Re: The things one finds in dusty corners. [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member

"Speak roughly to your little boy,
And beat him when he sneezes;
He only does it to annoy,
Because he knows it teases"
(Thank you Lewis Caroll"

#2153036 - 09/18/13 02:36 PM Re: The things one finds in dusty corners. [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
TwoSnowflakes Offline
1000 Post Club Member

In case you want to hear what it sounds like. Well, what it sounds like being played by someone like me! I can't change the fact that I only just restarted piano a few months ago, and there are stops and starts and bad notes. And then, for the icing on the cake, the camera chip ran out of room, but all that was left was the last measure and the repeat. Good thing I didn't do the initial repeats! Sorry for the camera angle. I had nowhere to put the camera other than just pointing into it. It's my digital SLR and it doesn't exactly have the right lens on it for video.

(I was going to get a recording of the first two movements for input anyway, so at least part of it is now up there, and I can continue to begin to overcome my extreme fear of anybody other than my family hearing me play. I'm pretty sure I'm awful, but my worst fear is that it won't get any better.)

Edited by TwoSnowflakes (09/18/13 02:40 PM)

#2153040 - 09/18/13 02:42 PM Re: The things one finds in dusty corners. [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
jazzyprof Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
Wow it sounds gorgeous...even on a cell phone (or was it a real camera)! And the playing ain't half bad. smile It's a shame that such a lovely piano is just sitting there gathering dust. Maybe you could organize a recital series or something at the synagogue.

#2153043 - 09/18/13 02:45 PM Re: The things one finds in dusty corners. [Re: jazzyprof]
TwoSnowflakes Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: jazzyprof
Wow it sounds gorgeous...even on a cell phone (or was it a real camera)! And the playing ain't half bad. smile It's a shame that such a lovely piano is just sitting there gathering dust. Maybe you could organize a recital series or something at the synagogue.

LOL, thanks! It's a shame I didn't have the H4n with me. I've been trying to get something recorded for you to hear so you can tell how to set up the darn thing for good piano recording.

Edited to add: Yes, it's a digital SLR camera (a Canon T3i) but I've never really used it for anything other than still photography. I just had it with me for something else so I thought to push the record button.

Edited by TwoSnowflakes (09/18/13 02:47 PM)

#2153322 - 09/18/13 08:41 PM Re: The things one finds in dusty corners. [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
sophial Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
Where is it located? It sounds just lovely!

#2153498 - 09/19/13 04:39 AM Re: The things one finds in dusty corners. [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
Ask them to donate it to you if nobody plays it, so somebody will play it. smile

Music is my best friend.

#2153546 - 09/19/13 07:57 AM Re: The things one finds in dusty corners. [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
Michael Sayers Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Stockholms län, Sverige
You play well. Please upload more when you are ready!

M.

#2153567 - 09/19/13 08:41 AM Re: The things one finds in dusty corners. [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
La_plus Offline

It is a great feeling to stumble upon a grand piano in an empty room. By the way, you are not even close to "awful".

#2153716 - 09/19/13 11:52 AM Re: The things one finds in dusty corners. [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member

I wonder if they’d sell the Steinway D-274 to a non-Jew .

I’m pretty sharp on the 10 Commandments and my best friend
for some 20 years was Sonny Goldberg (sadly no longer with us) ... and have even attended a service in a synagogue (not that I understood a word of what the hatted gents were grumbling about).

Kind regards, btb

Shalom

Most know that the Hebrew word shalom
is understood around the world to mean "peace."
However, "peace" is only one small part of the meaning.
"Shalom" is used to both greet people and to bid them farewell, and it means much more than "peace, hello or goodbye".

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha
Yamaha
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
100 years old and music keeps her active
by Rich Galassini
11/23/14 07:45 AM
At 100 years old, she says music keeps her well
by Rich Galassini
11/23/14 07:36 AM
Chopin waltz in E minor (Op. Posth.) or Op.70/1
by Works1
11/23/14 06:22 AM
Antique Piano
by NeoNeo78
11/23/14 03:29 AM
Hammer felt repairs. Advice Please
by Beachdingo
11/23/14 02:12 AM
Forum Stats
77013 Members
42 Forums
159287 Topics
2339872 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission