2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (20/20 Vision, clothearednincompo, Colin Miles, bcalvanese, booms, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 9 invisible), 1,941 guests, and 259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Marcos, you might've grown up on uprights and horizontals, but you are a DP-Guy at heart.

G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Marcos Daniel
Am I very abnormal if I grew up playing uprights and grands and never noticed the notch's utility?
My pianissimo is as impressive as horowitz's was :P

Yes, apparently both of our piano teachers were very remiss and never taught us the secret tricks of the trade.

My pianissimo is pretty good when I play on DP's. Thank goodness for technological innovation.

Last edited by gvfarns; 09/17/13 10:13 PM.
T
Tritium Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by ando

It's a consistent pattern that the people who discount the possibility of the notch being useful are always the DP guys. They just can't stretch themselves to imagine it being useful, or even how it can be incorporated into their technique and certain pieces. They dismiss it as an undesirable artefact of the action. Now it is an artefact, but those who play real grand pianos are aware of its value.

Hi Ando,

I learned on acoustic grand pianos. I practiced for years on acoustic grand pianos. And, until recently, I owned a Yamaha GA-1 baby grand (made in Japan model, not Indonesia) for 13 years. So, I consider myself both an acoustic GP guy as well as a digital piano guy.

We are just going to have to respectfully agree to disagree on this issue.

My humble opinion is that the so-called "playing off the jack" ( i.e using the "Let-off" notch feedback to actively modulate one's playing of an intricate piece)...is simply not done in practice, in the real world. Pianists may be convinced that this is what is occurring, but I feel that they are mistaken.

I humbly submit that what actually is occurring, subconsciously, is you are using your mind's mental map, experience and familiarity of your piano's keyboard (in your case, the V-Piano) to allow the keys to rise to just the right height in order to still allow for quick repetition and/or soft, pianissimo texture.

Notice that I am not saying that tactile feeling of the Let-Off "notch" doesn't exist. What I am saying, is it is so subtle, that IMHO it is not something that can be actively exploited in real-time, during the execution of a medium to difficult (and especially fast) composition. Everything is simply happening too fast for the human brain to discriminate these subtle neural input signals coming through the fingers, followed by processing of this information, and then returning the correct nerve signals to the associative finger muscles.

It can be done when you are striking one or two notes, with no other distractions, and actively feeling for the subtle notch effect. But when you are involved in an actual performance and the playing of a complex phrase (involving multiple key strokes, all requiring precise timing)...I submit that you are actually relying on your memory/experience and familiarity with the piano's action, in order to play pianissimo / sotte voce passages.

It is similar to the phenomena of a composition that has been learned and committed to long-term memory. You can play through the piece, and your active consciousness is on auto-pilot. You aren't stopping to think about what is the next note I have to hit. It is just automatic. In fact, if you are in the middle of a piece, and all of a sudden actively concentrate your thoughts towards what you are playing, and what comes next...often, you will come to a screeching halt.

P.S. -- A hypothetical thought experiment...
I am pretty confident that if any and all physical sensation and feedback, caused by the Let-Off/repetition mechanism, were completely eliminated from a professional pianist's grand piano...they would still be able to execute their repertoire with the same precision and subtlety as before.

Last edited by Tritium; 09/17/13 10:44 PM.
C
C
Very well put, Tritium. Although I'm still far from learning/performing the complex pieces you have in mind, I too have already experienced the "phenomenon" where I botch even the simplest phrases when I start thinking too much about what note to play next.

-- Zbynek N.

Learning to play the piano since 06/2013 on a Kawai CA-95.

Music is what feelings sound like. ~ Author Unknown
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Tritium
Originally Posted by ando

It's a consistent pattern that the people who discount the possibility of the notch being useful are always the DP guys. They just can't stretch themselves to imagine it being useful, or even how it can be incorporated into their technique and certain pieces. They dismiss it as an undesirable artefact of the action. Now it is an artefact, but those who play real grand pianos are aware of its value.

Hi Ando,

I learned on acoustic grand pianos. I practiced for years on acoustic grand pianos. And, until recently, I owned a Yamaha GA-1 baby grand (made in Japan model, not Indonesia) for 13 years. So, I consider myself both an acoustic GP guy as well as a digital piano guy.

We are just going to have to respectfully agree to disagree on this issue.

My humble opinion is that the so-called "playing off the jack" ( i.e using the "Let-off" notch feedback to actively modulate one's playing of an intricate piece)...is simply not done in practice, in the real world. Pianists may be convinced that this is what is occurring, but I feel that they are mistaken.

I humbly submit that what actually is occurring, subconsciously, is you are using your mind's mental map, experience and familiarity of your piano's keyboard (in your case, the V-Piano) to allow the keys to rise to just the right height in order to still allow for quick repetition and/or soft, pianissimo texture.

Notice that I am not saying that tactile feeling of the Let-Off "notch" doesn't exist. What I am saying, is it is so subtle, that IMHO it is not something that can be actively exploited in real-time, during the execution of a medium to difficult (and especially fast) composition. Everything is simply happening too fast for the human brain to discriminate these subtle neural input signals coming through the fingers, followed by processing of this information, and then returning the correct nerve signals to the associative finger muscles.

It can be done when you are striking one or two notes, with no other distractions, and actively feeling for the subtle notch effect. But when you are involved in an actual performance and the playing of a complex phrase (involving multiple key strokes, all requiring precise timing)...I submit that you are actually relying on your memory/experience and familiarity with the piano's action, in order to play pianissimo / sotte voce passages.

It is similar to the phenomena of a composition that has been learned and committed to long-term memory. You can play through the piece, and your active consciousness is on auto-pilot. You aren't stopping to think about what is the next note I have to hit. It is just automatic. In fact, if you are in the middle of a piece, and all of a sudden actively concentrate your thoughts towards what you are playing, and what comes next...often, you will come to a screeching halt.

P.S. -- A hypothetical thought experiment...
I am pretty confident that if any and all physical sensation and feedback, caused by the Let-Off/repetition mechanism, were completely eliminated from a professional pianist's grand piano...they would still be able to execute their repertoire with the same precision and subtlety as before.

I never said I use it for anything fast. I don't only for very slow/sustained passages. It's also not really applicable to upright actions, to those who mentioned them.

Tritium, you can "humbly submit" whatever you like about what you think I'm doing, but there is a glaring problem with that: you don't actually know me! I have used this technique at certain times - sometimes just for a pianissimo opening chord to make sure I don't fail to reach the strings from a cold start. But also at other times. This technique does exist - albeit not terribly frequently and I'm not suggesting it's a staple of piano performance.

I don't consider the current DP emulations of the notch to be authentic. I wouldn't care whether a DP had it because it doesn't feel like an acoustic piano anyway.

Oh, and when people say they will respectfully agree to disagree on something, it means they stop talking about it. I think what you meant was, "I'd like to talk about this some more", which is fine by the way. wink

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Clayman
Very well put, Tritium. Although I'm still far from learning/performing the complex pieces you have in mind, I too have already experienced the "phenomenon" where I botch even the simplest phrases when I start thinking too much about what note to play next.

To be frank, if you are far from learning/performing complex pieces, you really aren't qualified to judge this. So saying something is "well put" is irrelevant. This belongs to complex technique. The discussion about playing off the jack is for people who have actually tried it.

C
C
I don't really care about what you think I am or am not qualified to judge. I was actually refering to Tritium's point about playing by heart instead of thinking about it but that's a moot point. At any rate, I will keep your attitude in mind next time.

-- Zbynek N.

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Now, now... Let there be peace between the AP Guys and the DP Guys. In the end we all have one thing in common: piano/keyboard obsession. Tomater-tomato; pianist-keyboardist, same difference. For the record, I'm a DP Guy!

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
I don't really care about what you think I am or am not qualified to judge. I was actually refering to Tritium's point about playing by heart instead of thinking about it but that's a moot point. At any rate, I will keep your attitude in mind next time.

You wanted to pull one sentence out of an entire long post about playing off the jack, and then say "well put"? Surely you can see that when you make a general "well put" with no further details, you are agreeing with the entire post? If not, why not say what it is you agree with?

What strikes me about these discussions, and it's happened many times now, is that those who are sceptical about this technique are happy to dismiss people who use it and suggest that they are either not doing it, or imagining something, or that it's completely impossible. Don't you think that is actually a bit disrespectful? It tends to happen more on the DP forum because most players here don't even have a piano with such a "feature", let alone use it.

I'm happy to accept that plenty of you people don't, and never will, use this technique, but I don't appreciate being told I'm in fantasy land because I say I can make use of it. Why would I bother writing posts about using it if I don't? What grounds has anyone got to suggest that I don't know what I'm talking about when I discuss my own playing?

How would you feel if somebody kept telling you that something you do fairly often was not actually happening? I think you'd get tired of it. I'm not talking about finding water with a dowsing stick - I'm talking about something you would clearly see if you saw me play on a grand piano.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Do there exist any video demos of what's being discussed? Would it even be possible to show anything of use in a video demo?

Do any of the renowned virtuosos or well-known and respected teachers say anything or demonstrate anything about it which might illuminate what most of us probably don't get?

How about audio. What does playing off the jack sound like when compared with not doing so?

Surely someone can give an idea?

C
C
I should have been more specific. That much I'm guilty of. That does not change how I feel about your response, though.

Now if you have managed to make the let-off work for you and help you with certain elements of your playing style, that's all good. But I think it's you who needs to take the chill pill right now. Nobody accused you of dreaming things up. All of us just chimed in with their two cents. Only you started taking things personally.

-- Zbynek N.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
- another quicky:

Is the letoff on an upright radically different from that employed on a grand piano?

Thanks if anyone can help...

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
I should have been more specific. That much I'm guilty of. That does not change how I feel about your response, though.

Now if you have managed to make the let-off work for you and help you with certain elements of your playing style, that's all good. But I think it's you who needs to take the chill pill right now. Nobody accused you of dreaming things up. All of us just chimed in with their two cents. Only you started taking things personally.

No, you also took it personally, it was quite clear by the way you marked my attitude for the future. And it's why you followed up with, "That does not change how I feel about your response, though." Telling people to take chill-pills is just passive-aggressive crap pretending to be cool.

This is not a "personal" discussion though. In a real factual sense, you can play off the jack, and some people do. Some people don't. The fact that some say they do should be enough to end the scepticism part of the debate. Another fact is that DP manufacturers are bothering to put a simulation of let-off, albeit a poor one IMO, into their products. Are we going to suggest they haven't done their research into this? They see it as a marketable feature. Who are they marketing it to? I assume acoustic piano owners, since most DP owners appear not to use it or find it annoying.

Conclusion: play off the jack, don't play off the jack. It doesn't matter much. But don't say it's not possible.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Hey, Clayman, no need to take ando's response personal, he does that to everyone, myself included.

Just keep enjoying the discussion on keyboards for prodigies with lighted keys and logos, and all grin

I am 'doremi' because I play scales smile
My teacher is 'domisol' because he plays chords shocked
C
C
I'm only allergic to arrogance, not a difference in opinions.

Okay, I'm through with this.

Last edited by Clayman; 09/18/13 10:02 AM.

-- Zbynek N.

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
so, summing up: DP actions are only good enough for 1% of concert grand virtuosos who 1% of their time need some special effects as often heard as Cage's prepared pianos.

great for all the other non-concertist pianist population who only want to play pianos with good action for a fair price

unlocked by keys
wordless poetry sings free
- piano music -
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by doremi

Hey, Clayman, no need to take ando's response personal, he does that to everyone, myself included.

Just keep enjoying the discussion on keyboards for prodigies with lighted keys and logos, and all grin

I don't even remember you - that's how significant you are to me. Put me on ignore if you can't take it. Or start a support group with Clayman.

C
C
I own an ES7. My roommate has an older acoustic upright. Want to know what I practice on?

And I am the beginner.

Want to know what I've caught my roommate practice tricky grade 8 pieces on?

The ES7.

The difference in action is there, but it is minimal. The acoustic is not a concert instrument, but what stands out is this...

I've begun composing my own pieces. I've discovered that as I speed up I have finger speed. Every note is crisp, clear. The action never holds me up. And it is an engineered constant feel and sound on every key.

My opinion is that the average person that plays an ES7 is going to remark on how good it feels.

I recently found myself at a friends house and the conversation of my having composed my first piano piece, Soul's Echo, came up. Turns out they have a DP in the basement. I played it and I was shocked by how bad it was. The feel of the keys were plastic (spoiled by ivory touch I am), and the action was horrid. In fact, it was a stressful experience to play because I had to focus more on ensuring connection through some irregular sticky keys than allowing myself to express emotion.

Anyone who is going to say a high quality DP is unacceptable is voicing an opinion. And how many human beings are going to play at a level where any differences would really be a problem?

C
C
I'm sure if Mozart had a choice, he would have picked a (modern) DP over one those old school APs. Not only because it's cool and modern (which he was too) but also because of the Midi functions. Just imagine what he would have produced. wink

Cheers,
Lenny

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FP-80, synths, guitars, mics, MBP, interfaces, Voicelive 2, ableton, Pianoteq, nubert a-200
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
He could`ve wrote and played his concertos without the orchestra . . . he`d be popular!

Many years ago, the local Musicians Union members were reluctant to play with organists. . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission