2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (bcalvanese, 1957, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 36251, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, 8 invisible), 1,401 guests, and 308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2152170 09/17/13 01:12 PM
J
OP Offline
J
Hello,

I love Tom Waits & the way he plays piano.

Does anyone have info on how he learned? Is he classically trained?

If I were to take lessons and be able to play at a similar level would I choose a classical teacher or what?

Thanks!

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
This article indicates that he was self-taught :

Tom Waits

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
J
OP Offline
J
Any recommendation, what would be the best approach to learning a similar style to his? Any specific method or approach? Thank you.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
You might think of posting your question in the Pianist Corner - Non Classical. You may get more informed responses there.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Autodidacts are common on guitar, a rarity on piano (at least, those of any accomplishment--- we've all heard pounders who never studied).

This may suggest a learning path for the OP. I do know accomplished pianists who have used the technique of listening to recordings of a favorite player, and then have tried to duplicate what they heard. Tom said, himself, "I didn't just marry a beautiful woman, I married a record collection."

But, who knows: maybe johnbarnesiii could contact Tom Waits, through his management, and arrange for lessons. Many of the great composers have not felt that they were above teaching. Ravel, Chopin, etc.

The Wiki article is quite good. Evidently, it was written by a serious fan.

Clef

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
To misquote someone (I forget whom) “why be a 2nd rate Tom Waits when you can be a 1st rate johnbarnesiii”

All theory, dear friend, is grey, but the golden tree of life springs ever green.
J
OP Offline
J
Thanks guys! I done as you suggested & posted in non-classical forum. Cool to hear Tom is self-taught. I'll probably end up going with a somewhat traditional teacher, I spoke to someone really good, he starts people off using the John Thompson method which I know is really old but after maybe 6 months to a year of that you have a solid foundation. From there you can go any direction: classical, rock, jazz, etc.

Just been thinking about other possible directions to take. My goal is not to become a super accomplished symphony pianist... I'm a rock guy with a keen ear for melody. I simply would like to be able to write more fluidly and have a solid foundation.

I really like Tom's playing so the thought was... how did he learn, did he use a traditional approach or anything specific? He obviously has the talent to teach himself which is great. I actually spoke with a piano teacher who supposedly taught Tom's son back in the day! Which is funny to me bc if your dad is Tom Waits, why not teach him himself? But maybe he wanted a more formal approach for his son being that Tom himself apparently didn't go that route.

Cheers guys, thanks again.

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
having a sound knowledge in traditional playing is the best thing you can do to become a great musician, regardless of style; so getting a solid foundation, as you put it, is a great idea. learning haptatonic scales, modes, blues scales, etc, is the key. talent is only part of the mixture, all the talent in the world won't create true art if you lack the effeciency to convey what you're thinking and feeling through a stable technique and knowledge, which of course is learnt purely through practise and experience, so getting it right at the beginning will be a good thing! it's like being born exceptionally strong but not knowing how to throw a punch - it'll be pure chance if you actually land a hit.
By the way i'm a fan of Tom Waits, especially his early jazzy stuff.

All theory, dear friend, is grey, but the golden tree of life springs ever green.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission