Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2153025 - 09/18/13 02:06 PM really worried for Greece right now...
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
I'm sorry guys, but I have to let this out... I feel almost like home here and it's one of the nicest Internet places, with people ready to offer some valid advice, etc...

So, In case you haven't heard it:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-24141246

A 34 year old musician was stabbed to death by neo-nazi 45 year old. Ok, this much is something that can happen elsewhere. Problem is that the neo-nazi political party has 10%, and is in the parliament. In addition to that the austerity measures have torn the country SO MUCH that right now I'm afraid of a civil war.

In all honesty if something like this happens, I'll take my kids, a copy of all EMF scores, plus a few hard drives, an flee the country... And I'm NOT kidding!

[/panic mode off]

I previewed my post (as I advise others to do so) and I can see that the above is very... panicky. But it remains a dangerous situation right now, exactly because Greece has no social network to speak off: We never were a society and right now this is more evident than ever! frown

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2153035 - 09/18/13 02:36 PM Re: really worried for Greece right now... [Re: Nikolas]
jazzyprof Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
That is so sad. R.I.P. Pavlos.

#2153038 - 09/18/13 02:38 PM Re: really worried for Greece right now... [Re: Nikolas]
Michael Sayers Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Stockholms lšn, Sverige
Nikolas, if you are really concerned then it might be best to get repositioned in another country starting immediately, probably through connections you can get some sort of artistic employment and/or an artist's permit for many places. Unless you have a very good idea of where you are going and why then it might be best to not choose a Euro country, Japan, the U.K. or the U.S.

If you delay then by the time you leave you might not be able to move any Euros to speak of out of the country as already is the situation in Cyprus.

And whether you stay or go, don't keep your money in Euros or any of the other paper currencies.

M.

#2153048 - 09/18/13 02:55 PM Re: really worried for Greece right now... [Re: jazzyprof]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: jazzyprof
That is so sad. R.I.P. Pavlos.
Shame to me for not mentioning this...

The information is a bit sketchy as of yet, but in any case a young man, a musician, my age is gone... by stabbing. And it's a real pity.

Rest in Peace Pavlos! smile And hope your family can hang in there...

#2153082 - 09/18/13 03:39 PM Re: really worried for Greece right now... [Re: Nikolas]
Steve Chandler Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Urbandale, Iowa
Nikolas,

I'm very sad for your country and this situation. It seems like civility and decorum have become passe. We don't hear much about Greece in the US, so it's your judgment that matters here. If you don't feel safe then perhaps it's time to leave. I sometimes feel the US has gone crazy but it seems much of that is just media hype. We have Neo-nazis in the US too, but I only hear about them when I get a communication from the Southern Poverty Law Center (a group devoted to exposing hate crimes and teaching tolerance). I know my support won't mean anything but you have it. I respect you, your music and your judgment.

#2153092 - 09/18/13 03:43 PM Re: really worried for Greece right now... [Re: Nikolas]
Dwscamel Offline

Your panic is for good reason and I agree that it's time to start thinking of a plan incase things become too further out of hand. Keep us updated and stay safe.

#2153102 - 09/18/13 03:51 PM Re: really worried for Greece right now... [Re: Nikolas]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

I'm safe right now and both my kids are fast asleep in their room... So things are, right now, ok.

The right wing party (the neo nazi one) called Golden Dawn is getting ready to appear in the very place that Pavlos was killed.

The left wing party (around 20% in the recent elections) decided that the government is off the law (for whatever reasons of their own) and want to do some sort of a guerilla war inside Athens!

I don't know what on earth is happening right now... I'm keeping a very close eye on what's going on, and I hope that me and my kids will be safe. There's already more than 1 people to accommodate us abroad (including my wife in Azerbaijan) and there's bank accounts in England, where we lived for 4 years...

The one thing that needs to be done is to remain calm right now!...

#2153115 - 09/18/13 03:59 PM Re: really worried for Greece right now... [Re: Nikolas]
BruceD Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
My thoughts are with you, your family and your countrymen, Nikolas.

Regards,

#2153119 - 09/18/13 04:04 PM Re: really worried for Greece right now... [Re: Nikolas]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Thank you Bruce. And thank you for your PM as well! smile

And thanks to everyone of course! smile

#2153141 - 09/18/13 04:32 PM Re: really worried for Greece right now... [Re: Nikolas]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Oh, Nikolas, that's very unnerving. I am reallly sorry to hear news like this and I can imagine all the concerns that are running through your head.

I can also imagine that it is more difficult with your wife being out of the country - no one at home to talk to about all this. Sure there's phone and skype, but it isn't the same.

I pray that this will all settle down very soon.
My thoughts are with you - stay safe!

#2153152 - 09/18/13 04:46 PM Re: really worried for Greece right now... [Re: Nikolas]
PrestoConFuocco Offline

I think that if a large group of people figures out a way to put the situation in Greece on the world's public agenda Europe will start watching the situation more closely, something that can definitely prevent drastic events like a civil war.
I don't know how much you can actually do, but if there's any way to raise public awareness, it's worth trying.
(Of course, wait and see how the situation developes, maybe things will work themselves out over time, I sure hope they will.)

#2153165 - 09/18/13 04:55 PM Re: really worried for Greece right now... [Re: Nikolas]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

I'm also hoping that sanity will prevail. It's just that all this pressure is changing people! And our lenders don't seem to care much about the wreckage of Greece in the end.

#2153172 - 09/18/13 05:10 PM Re: really worried for Greece right now... [Re: Nikolas]
goddangol Offline

Get out of there NOW.

#2153189 - 09/18/13 05:37 PM Re: really worried for Greece right now... [Re: Nikolas]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
You are right to be feeling worried. History is full of tragic examples where people waited until they were "sure" a civil war or other disaster was brewing, and then it was too late.

Adopt a rational economics perspective: Lay out all the costs/benefits of leaving now/later/not at all, with the situation in Greece either deteriorating/getting better. You should decide to leave if this kind of analysis leads you to conclude that the cost of inaction given a bad outcome FAR outweighs the cost of acting and it turning out to have been unnecessary.

I am so sorry for you and your fellow countrymen. frown

Edited by Monica K. (09/18/13 09:45 PM)
Edit Reason: I decided my initial phrasing was overly alarmist.

#2153191 - 09/18/13 05:41 PM Re: really worried for Greece right now... [Re: Nikolas]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
I am so sorry for you, your family, and Greece as a whole, Nikolas. My thoughts are with you.

Music is my best friend.

#2153196 - 09/18/13 05:48 PM Re: really worried for Greece right now... [Re: Nikolas]
TheHappyMoron Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
i echo everyone else - such sad news.
neo-nazis for christ's sake, some people are so pathetic and medieval.

what with the whole syria and egypt thing (plus all the things you don't hear about) i sometimes wonder if people are inherently violent and just use any old excuse.

I sincerely hope you and everyone else in Greece remain safe.

#2153209 - 09/18/13 06:00 PM Re: really worried for Greece right now... [Re: Nikolas]
gooddog Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle area, WA
Nikolas, I am very concerned for you. Unfortunately, when economic conditions become stressful, history has show that the smaller minded people look for someone to blame, thus the hate crimes. In this day and age, sanity usually does pervail and I pray that it will. I can't offer any advice other than to remember that family always comes first.

Deborah

#2153297 - 09/18/13 07:45 PM Re: really worried for Greece right now... [Re: Nikolas]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
Originally Posted By: Nikolas
I'm also hoping that sanity will prevail. It's just that all this pressure is changing people! And our lenders don't seem to care much about the wreckage of Greece in the end.

I have always watched the rise of the Golden Dawn with trepidation. It is unfortunate that in such stressful times, people will turn to whoever promises them the quickest, easiest way out, even if those promises come with a loaded weapon pointed at their heads. Violence is never the answer.

I have many Greek friends. Some are still there; some moved here a long time ago. All of them are worried, too.

Stay safe, keep your head down, and if you should need a couch overseas somewhere -- I have two. smile

#2153302 - 09/18/13 07:55 PM Re: really worried for Greece right now... [Re: Nikolas]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
My thoughts are with you Nikolas.

Cathy

#2153318 - 09/18/13 08:33 PM Re: really worried for Greece right now... [Re: Nikolas]
sophial Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
Nikolas,

This is worrisome for sure. What a shame, especially as Greece is the birthplace of democracy! It might be good to have your exit strategy all worked out and ready to use if needed. Take care, friend!

Sophia

#2153371 - 09/18/13 11:01 PM Re: really worried for Greece right now... [Re: Nikolas]
jmcintyre Offline

Loc: Wash. DC area
Nikolas,

I am definitely a "don't panic" kind of guy, but I will add my voice to the chorus suggesting you and your family consider leaving before it becomes too difficult or complicated to do so, if you're apprehensive about the situation. It may be difficult to know how things will turn out there, but your peace of mind - to say nothing of your family's safety - is of immeasurable value.

-Jim
Now: Brahms Op. 118, Bach French Suite #5

#2153376 - 09/18/13 11:09 PM Re: really worried for Greece right now... [Re: Nikolas]
500 Post Club Member

Golden Dawn's behaviour is both ridiculous and dangerous. They seem to operate by brute force and intimidation, and in the videos I've seen there is hardly anyone who stands up to them. Whatever happens with them the economic situation in Greece is not going to get better in the near future as the persons in power both in the Euro countries and the U.S./U.K., and now the present Japanese Prime Minister, don't seem to ever have read even one economics treatise or studied and spent much time thinking about any papers on monetary theory, and when they do something right it is by chance or because they are forced by circumstances. If I were you I would look to leave regardless of what happens with Golden Dawn. I wouldn't want to live somewhere where the economic situation has deteriorated to the extent that the power companies need government bailouts to keep the lights on. You need to think about what is best for you and your family and about the fact that the process to get securely into another country for the long-term can take a bit of time. A lot of Greek residents are moving to Sweden (and you would not need to learn Swedish as almost everyone here speaks English) but there are other options in Europe which might be better such as Norway and Switzerland.

M.

#2153391 - 09/18/13 11:22 PM Re: really worried for Greece right now... [Re: Nikolas]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
Nikolas, after Michael's post, you must think very seriously about where you are going to move. Sure, Sweden and Norway have a thousand years of culture, and fjords, and those little wooden shoes -- no, wait, that's Holland. But Philadelphia has the Rocky statue. Just sayin'.. laugh

Edit: got my country-of-origins mixed up!

Edited by Derulux (09/18/13 11:24 PM)

#2153426 - 09/19/13 12:43 AM Re: really worried for Greece right now... [Re: Nikolas]
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Nikolas. Sorry to hear this. I too think you need to get out for the sake of children. My prayers for safety of your family.
Solo - Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, Schubert Sonata D960 Andante sostenute (9/7/14), Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1

#2153430 - 09/19/13 12:51 AM Re: really worried for Greece right now... [Re: Nikolas]
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
As I wrote my post, I started worried if it is wise to have this thread. Any one can search the web with GD and get this thread. And Nicholas, they can easily uncover you. You may want to ask the mods to remove the thread and going forward you may call the party Gold evening or something.
Solo - Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, Schubert Sonata D960 Andante sostenute (9/7/14), Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1

#2153439 - 09/19/13 01:31 AM Re: really worried for Greece right now... [Re: Nikolas]
synergy543 Offline

Nikolas, it must be terrible living in such fear. Its hard to get a clear picture and assess the situation via the internet. Hopefully any decision you make will be rational and not based simply on fear. Although, it does seem that you could bring your skills to another country and work from there. However, leaving your country and family indefinitely must be a terrible decision to have to make. What about a temporary leave such as visiting your wife? (who if I understand is working overseas already?).

Be safe, Greg

#2153444 - 09/19/13 01:50 AM Re: really worried for Greece right now... [Re: FarmGirl]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: FarmGirl
As I wrote my post, I started worried if it is wise to have this thread. Any one can search the web with GD and get this thread. And Nicholas, they can easily uncover you. You may want to ask the mods to remove the thread and going forward you may call the party Gold evening or something.
you're actually right I think... hmmm... I'll have to contact Kreisler to the rescue once more...

#2153450 - 09/19/13 01:59 AM Re: really worried for Greece right now... [Re: FarmGirl]
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: FarmGirl

I doubt any Golden Dawn members are keen classical pianists who might chance upon these posts. Their focus seems to be against immigrants in Greece (which Nikolas is not) which shows how ignorant they are of the causes of these economic issues.

M.

#2153453 - 09/19/13 02:04 AM Re: really worried for Greece right now... [Re: Nikolas]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

I'd hate for this thread to be deleted or anything, to be honest. I am grateful for your support and everything and I do think that there's not too much in my posts to indicate much of anything...

In any case, there are no riots currently. 65 people were held in custody from the police last night, but there seems to be an odd silence from the political parties.

#2153456 - 09/19/13 02:13 AM Re: really worried for Greece right now... [Re: Nikolas]
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pretoria South Africa
Amazing how history repeats itself ...
I was a schoolboy when Adolf Hitler (Deutchland) and
Benito Mussolini (Italy) were bosom pals.

After 6 years of tragic WWII when 20 million people lost their lives, Hitler finished up committing suicide while Mussolini was hanged.

But how can 10% neo-Nazis be allowed to terrorize
the present Italian population?

Any thoughts of flight will only increase the Brown-shirt percentage.

How well I remember news of the Allies steadily marching victorious up the length of Italy to defeat the Axis.

It took the Hiroshamo and Nagasaki atom bombs to defeat Japan.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
127 registered (accordeur, Almaviva, AmateurBob, 38 invisible), 1756 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75528 Members
42 Forums
156188 Topics
2293651 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Replacing a treble string-Steinway B-under the bass strings
by Greg the Piano Tuner
Today at 11:47 AM
New set of studies probing Does Practice Make Perfect?
by music32
Today at 11:25 AM
Toyama Piano- A Year On.
by TheAccompanist
Today at 09:39 AM
Frederick Historical Piano Benefit Concert - July 29 2014
by Terrytunes
Today at 09:25 AM
Using a (continuous) sustain pedal as expression
by barmassimo
Today at 09:06 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission