2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (accordeur, Carey, AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, 6 invisible), 1,891 guests, and 287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 219 of 540 1 2 217 218 219 220 221 539 540
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
AOTW was tiny but maybe important. I learned to put some "give" in the wrists for chords some time ago, and thought by "uncurling" the fingers I'd solved a habit there too. But apparently I'd simply substituted curled unmoving fingers for straightish unmoving fingers - I guess like a newborn deer tottering about on stiff legs. This may make a couple of things a whole lot easier.

Ragdoll, that actually sounds huge!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
[font:Arial Black
Thanks keystring, I can tell when something doesn't sound right but tend to rely on publisher of my books too much. I was pretty happy to see I was right about what the note should be and not just that it seemed wrong somehow.

Ragdoll

At first, she only flew when she thought no one was watching.

[Linked Image]

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
ElleC, Torquenale and Andy - thanks for the encouragement.

Though I would enjoy participating in a recital, I really don't feel that this is the right atmosphere for me. I'd have my hubby, maybe, and then all the parents, grandparents, siblings and cousins of the other musicians - Italians really come out for these evernts. All of them sitting there expecting an adult to play well. Nope,it isn't going to happen.

If I were playing a duet with one of the kids,...maybe - and I can talk to the teacher about that for next year, but this just isn't the recital for me.

(There is only one other adult , and he doesn't want to play either).

Ragdoll - great ear improvement! Good for you!
Keystrings - clearly you're being very attentive to what is going on with your body as you play- excellent! You can nip problems in the bud!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Casinitaly, I know what you are saying. "Atmosphere" is important for me too, and playing piano it's not just to press the keys. I think your decision is appropriate.

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
I love reading all your AOTW's here, I have to resist putting one in every second day when something good happens.

Casinitaly, my wife was coerced into playing several live violin children recitals and even although she did no solo pieces I think the stress was unproductive.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Casinitaly - I certainly understand how you feel about the kiddie recital - Now that I hear all of you talk about not wanting to do it for a bunch of kids and their relatives I know why I was so darn nervous that first time. Well, at least we usually have 3 or 4 adults to go with the dozen or so youngsters.

I've agreed to do it again this year and still have the same feeling of impending doom. Not quite like the first year, but it is still there.

My teacher has a new student (adult) this year who contacted me yesterday. She wants to host the piano get-together/pre-recital recital practice for adults that I hosted last year. I'm all for it and glad to have someone else take the reins while I focus on actually learning how to play my recital piece. smile

Here's a nice narrow little AOTW - yesterday at lesson I was having a devil of a time doing this little series of descending three note sequences from the Scarlati piece. They were supposed to be really fast 32's with a little pause between each group. I tried and tried, but my fingers just were not cooperating. Then I sat back, looked at my teacher, and asked her to demonstrate it. She leaned over and played it once. I thought, gee just use the weight of your hand. And that's just what I did and it was absolutely 100% better right away. I had been doing it with "finger muscle" and getting nowhere. If I just let my hand weight fall into the three notes they fell right into line at full speed. Bada bing. [insert headslap icon here] Sometimes this stuff is so much easier than I make it.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
CarolsCC, Earlofmar, JimF --- you've all got it. It just isn't the right place, or worth the energy. I hope there will be another chance, but I'm willing to wait as long as it takes. I'm not particularly shy about performing - but this just doesn't sit right with me.

Jim- that sounds like a real Ah ha! moment -- lovely to see something you found challenging sorted out in a flash!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
R
I can sure understand you people not wanting to or attending a recital with children. I wouldn't. It's like you are automatically taken as not serious. The distractions multiply.
I myself don't really have any wish to post stuff here on a recital. The only way I even think of here is if I have something special. Something that turned out good. Entertaining for others. I'm a person who isn't much interested in performing for others. I can only think of it in a way of sharing an experience. That's all it is to me. If it isn't an experience worth sharing. I'm not interested. That's just me.
I appreciate the input on the Italian, Cas. I only know what I heard as a kid. Is interesting. Would like you all to know. Even though my Grandfather was from Sicily. He hated the Mafia with a passion. Said they were a bunch of punks. His favorite show on TV was Elliot Ness. Called it the Italian hour.
I have an AOTW coming up today. Will let you know.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
This thread lightens up any day for me. You all show such dedication and sensitivity. Every little brush stroke creates the masterpiece.

I'm wanting to have an AOTW but can't quite land on one. I'm ear training using an online site where I can set the intervals that I want to test. For the life of me I can't seem to consistently get the descending 3rd, 4th and 5th. It would be funny except that's part of the level 5 exam. Well...I'll study up til test day and it'll be whatever it is. Maybe my AOTW is not stressing too much over the whole thing while maintaining a study schedule. LOL. It's reaching, I know.

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
So many achievements! Everyone is doing great. Congratulations to everyone.

Rnaple - I am happy for you for finding a good teacher. It is so important to find someone you can work with well.

Ragdoll - More effective practice is what it is all about!

Augustina - Congrats on completing Hungary. It sounds like a major piece!

Saranoya - Sorry to hear your Moonlight part 2 and Bürgmuller didn't cooperate this week. The two steps forward, one step back seems to often be part of this journey.

CarlosCC - Good luck on the office contest. That is really cool.

Toastie - Getting back on track with practice is always an achievement!

earlomar - A full day at the piano sounds like a wonderful way to spend a rainy Saturday.

Wisebuff - Congraulations on your Mendelssohnn submission. That was a major undertaking. I can't wait to hear it.

FarmGirl - You must have a lot of stamina with your packed schedule. I am duly impressed! You must be becoming quite comfortable with performing now. That is wonderful.

Casinitaly - Being able to relax and just play in front of your teacher is a monumental step. It took me a year with this teacher to relax enough to play reasonably well. Now he can give you better feedback because you are able to work on the real problems. I don't blame you for not playing in a children's recital. That would be very uncomfortable.

Ragdoll - It is good that you and your teacher are clear about the direction you want to go. It should make your lessons more fun and productive. It sounds like your ear is developing quite nicely too!

Keystring - This sounds similar to something my teacher has been working with me on as well. Figuring out how to blend relaxation with proper chord attack is quite a challenge.

JimF - It is great that you could see your teacher demonstrate a technique and then execute it. That is huge.

Well my AOTW was making a Youtube video of the Chopin Nocturne in F Minor and sending it my teacher for evaluation. As a result, we had a very productive lesson pinpointing where improvement was needed. She gave me an honest critique and I learned a lot. It was very energizing to get this kind of feedback to focus my efforts.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Edwardian Piano: I don’t under stand the knack folks have for learning faster with youtube than with the score. I think that’s quite something to be able to do. I don’t have the patience to watch the slow-motion tutorials, even for pieces I dearly love. Nor can I figure out what to do just by listening. I do use youtube recordings to give me a feel for how my piece should sound, but that’s the extent (and sometimes finding a decent recording of a beginner piece is really not simple!!)

Really? I am using the score, watching the video ( it's slow so can see the fingering) and hearing it played so with all that it makes it easier I think. Bar 2 is coming together and I'm on bar 3 now. I even played a measure more smoothly today that I had fumbled over previously this afternoon when I was showing my friend how far I was up to on the Minuet. I must have played in total an hour today. And I even uploaded my first recording ( a little tune I made up on the spot). blush
Done ok considering I have a bit of a squiffy tummy today.

Well done to everyone's progress- read the posts- got behind on reading them.

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
SwissMS, I look forward to hearing your post of Chopin Nocturne in F Minor

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
R

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
R
My AOTW. I ruined my financial budget! Yay! I'm excited.
I was looky looing through CL. There was a Kawai M8000 Midi Controller on there. It's 20 years old and originally sold for $1500. Along with a midi synthesizer: a Korg 05R/W. He wanted $300 for it all. That's in line with what this is selling for.

I asked in the Digital forum. Answers were that this is a really good old midi controller (keyboard). Also look at other opinions via Google. Looked really good.

I wasn't expecting to buy anything. But from what I learned. This is one to not pass by.

So the guy said he was coming to Rapid today. I said I'm interested and want to look at it. Well...I bought it. These keys are definitely high quality. No entry level stuff here. Much higher quality mechanics of the movement of the keys. All kinds of adjustments on velocity, sensitivity, aftertouch and all. It does have weighted keys. So I'm happy as can be with my new keyboard.

Also...I finally got me a Kawai!

Last edited by rnaple; 04/25/13 08:35 PM.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
My grand AOTW is my first recording on PW!!!!

Last edited by dynamobt; 04/25/13 08:26 PM.

1918 Mason & Hamlin BB
1906 Mason & Hamlin Es
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by rnaple
My AOTW. I ruined my financial budget! Yay! I'm excited.
I was looky looing through CL. There was a Kawai M8000 Midi Controller on there. It's 20 years old and originally sold for $1500. Along with a midi synthesizer: a Korg 05R/W. He wanted $300 for it all. That's in line with what this is selling for.

Also...I finally got me a Kawai!

Looks like a bargain have fun with your new gizmos

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
E
E
Originally Posted by dynamobt
My grand AOTW is my first recording on PW!!!!

Congrats!! Though I can't seem to play it...it just keeps on loading for some reason frown but I'll try my computer later.

Adult beginner since January 2013. My only regret is that I didn't learn sooner.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
My ATOW – I find I’m getting better at just relaxing and playing for my teacher, which means less flubbing. This is a major big deal. I’m very pleased. I played my Heller for him and he gave me more detailed feedback on my dynamics. He asked me if I wanted to play in the recital in June, but as there will only be kids (the oldest is 14), I declined. I’d just feel too out of place.

That's cool you feel more relaxed playing in front of your teacher casinitaly. I'm flubbing all the time in front of mine- now I can let him hear my recordings which have less flubs LOL.

I know what you mean re the recital- I wouldn't be keen on that myself either.

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
ElleC, the music doesn't start until 19 seconds. I wasn't quite prepared for it to actually "RECORD" when I hit the record button!!

1918 Mason & Hamlin BB
1906 Mason & Hamlin Es
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Ragdoll: I would like to have a better practice method, and sometimes I try some of the good advices here in PW, but I'm not constant.

Yep me too, sometimes when I don't see immediate results of a new method I try something else. Focused practice has really helped me a lot whatever method I use. I won't allow myself to just play at the piano until I have done at least 30 minutes of real practice.

I have found the practice suggestions of a few here ( I think it's referred to as "chunking" with limited repeats) very helpful lately in that the new piece I received at my lesson Tuesday I already have under my fingers and have started to polish it.

It's admittedly a short, simple piece but I'm enchanted by it because it's so musical and pretty. I guess that's my AOTW. Without my focused practice I'm sure this would have taken me at least 2 weeks to get this far with it. What's more, I picked it and not teacher which I think helps. grin

Last edited by Ragdoll; 04/26/13 09:03 AM. Reason: Credit where credits due
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member
F
I am happy this morning. I don't have back to back business meetings starting at 7:00 am today for the first time this week. I can eat breakfast, practice a bit and go to work late (9:00 am). What a beautiful morning.

Page 219 of 540 1 2 217 218 219 220 221 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission