Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2154123 - 09/19/13 11:56 PM Haydn Sonata in progress....
TwoSnowflakes Offline
1000 Post Club Member

It's coming along. Here's the last half of the first movement as it stands today. I started it four or so weeks ago. I can play it better, but this is the best I can get recorded. I don't know what happens when there's an audience, even when that audience is simply a camera, but so be it.

I guess I'd like some input as to where to go from here. I've changed a lot in the past several months since restarting in April, and I'm trying very hard to remember that whatever problems there are, it was still only four months ago that I could not play two octaves of c major with both hands without running out of fingers or ending up with one hand several notes behind the other.

My teacher assured me that as time went on, things would feel more like it used to, and that's certainly true, but I continue to struggle with control, evenness and overall tension. Some of it is just letting myself reacquaint myself with the piano, but plenty of it is stuff I should have learned better the first time.

Frankly, the best progress has been in technical exercises. I can really concentrate on what needs to change. But when I try to play something musical, I get very bogged down and struggle. I panic, the tension creeps in, and I rush, or things get uneven. I start to play very shallowly. Fingers jut out in weird places. Old habits come back. I seize up and the trills and ornamentation grind to a halt.

I can sometimes just take a deep breath, relax and GO, but just as often trying to really play a piece makes my attention shifts to fear of errors, leaving very little attention to the things that actually avoid errors: staying calm, thinking ahead and staying focused on the many technical things that are not yet automatic.

On other hand, there's PLENTY that was deliberately fixed and is now automatic. I looked at the video I made of myself in the first few weeks and it doesn't look like the same person is playing. In fact, the only reason I'm ok posting this is because deep down I probably ought to a little bit proud of where I've gotten to in a few months, even if there's very big difference between how I play and how I want to play/I used to play/you guys play.

I can honestly say I am utterly enjoying the process of relearning piano, so it's already a definite success. I guess I hope there's at least some apparent potential there because in the end I would very much like to get to a point to be able to offer something that is objectively enjoyable to others. Many of you play at a level that I probably can't reasonably aspire to at this late stage, but if I could get to a level where I can simply legitimately loiter in the corner of the party where all the good pianists are, I think I would consider the whole thing not just a success but a smashing success.

So, could you guys take a minute or two break from the party to give me some pointers so I can earn my way in? It'll be worth it. I bring fabulous dishes to parties.

#2154525 - 09/20/13 02:55 PM Re: Haydn Sonata in progress.... [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
Michael Sayers Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Stockholms lšn, Sverige
You play well and I am glad you are sharing your work here!

Haydn was quite the humorist, as with the "Surprise" Symphony, and his music seems designed to do well with a bit of surprise so with that in mind, and focusing in on just a few bars, I would play the circled chords below less pesante and more abruptly and playfully. Also with the first bar there as an example, the sixteenth notes are separated with the slurs, so in the top voice one can drop into the B, A-sharp, A-natural, and G a little bit but not the F-sharp, G or E afterwards for that articulation.

The final chord in this next image is the deciso one, and keeping the surprise element in mind one can diminuendo with the staccato thirds preparing the listener for a mezzoforte ending and then have a sudden forte with the circled final chord. The final chord could have been in half-notes but isn't which I think says something about the atmosphere of the music.

Maybe this gives you some additional ideas to work with!

M.

#2155518 - 09/22/13 12:35 PM Re: Haydn Sonata in progress.... [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Rockford, IL
Hey, TwoSnowflakes!

You're IN!!! wink LOL! laugh

I appreciate your detailed intro, and can relate to everything you've written. I caught your post pretty much as soon as you posted it, and after listening, my first thought was, "Yep. That's Haydn, alright!" grin I just listened again, and it's fun to listen to, and, yes, you are getting it to shape up nicely!

Since you seem to be pretty self-aware as to those things you want to fix, I will provide just one insight for you, regarding this:

Originally Posted By: TwoSnowflakes
[...] I don't know what happens when there's an audience, even when that audience is simply a camera, but so be it. [...]

It's called "divided attention," and can get you every time (if you let it!). If I can trust what I've read about how "multi-tasking" works, the summary is that the brain can really only handle one thing at a time. When "multi-tasking," the brain is chopping up attention to focus on 1) this thing, and then, 2) that thing, and then 1) this thing, again, and then, 2) that thing, again... and so on. The brain works fast, so it can *seem* like you're doing two things at once, but really you are doing one thing at a time, back and forth, really fast. You can see what happens when you try to do three or four things "at once." (My sister has a joke that goes, "Yeah, I have A.D.D. I get a lot of things done every day, but I never get anything completed!" grin ). Anyway, you can figure that when you are simply playing a piece and trying to follow the score and bring forth the music using all of your sensitivity and skill, you are already doing about a million things! (Well, o.k., maybe twenty-five.) Add an audience or a recording device to the mix, and, well, where is your attention, now? Furthermore, I suspect that the adrenaline rush happens because the brain is calling for a chemical boost to try to take care of all of the demands that the spirit and soul are putting on it in order to perform. So then, comfort goes right out the window, too.

My best playing (if I can say that) comes when I pay attention to the sound of the hammer hitting the string. When I put ALL of my attention right there, it seems to funnel the "sensitivity and skill" part to the right place. In fact, I have recently found "the zone" several times when playing for audiences. I actually chose to ignore the audience, and I was so focused on the sound that was coming from the piano that I became very, very calm. One of these audiences was a lunch-time crowd, and it was very interesting to note how many times during the hour or so I was playing, how quiet the room became as people were drawn in to listen. That kind of thing does not always happen when one is sending fluffy atmosphere music into the room for people to talk over. (That's why I'm noting that experience here for you. It was one of those significant leaps in awareness for me on a number of levels! smile Adrenaline was not an issue, because I did not overload my brain. I think so, anyway. I was very, very calm, and the piano itself was a joy to listen to, so I just went with it!)

So, the "practice" is in focusing your attention on the right thing. Ignoring the recording device does take practice. Just like learning to relax your arm to accomplish that one trill in that one measure when you get there, takes practice. For a while, I practiced with my recording set up in position all the time, just so I could get used to ignoring it! wink

Hope this helps! I'm looking forward to hearing the whole piece when you are ready to share it! thumb

--Andy

Edited by Cinnamonbear (09/22/13 03:41 PM)

Moderator:  Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai CE220 CA65 cabinet vibrations
by origen
09/23/14 04:43 PM
Baldwin 243 for Grade 4 students - Advice please!
by LeslieG
09/23/14 04:39 PM
Exorcist movie main theme
by Danijelcro
09/23/14 12:03 PM
Free Cunningham Piano Company Grand Piano
by Rich D.
09/23/14 11:05 AM
Baldwin capo: a metallic-buzz sound generating system
by A443
09/23/14 11:00 AM
Who's Online
147 registered (ajames, accordeur, anotherscott, 46 invisible), 1653 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76290 Members
42 Forums
157711 Topics
2316593 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission