2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,184 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
Joe, In summary I suppose you are saying, "Once a Steinway, always a Steinway".

Googling for rim manufacture in Hamburg I came up with this video and this New York Times article from 2003.

There was also this video of Emmanuel Ax playing both NY and Hamburg D's from the Carnegie Hall instrument bank.

Ten years ago Hamburg seemed to think New York had some way to go catch up. I imagine all this has been mentioned before but here is a link to the archive:

http://www.nytimes.com/ref/nyregion/PIANO_INDEX.html

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
I don't think I have ever seen anything other than maple in a NY Steinway rim. I have serviced and rebuilt over a 1,000 different ones in my 40 plus year career.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
E
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
[quote=Ed McMorrow, RPT]I don't think I have ever seen anything other than maple in a NY Steinway rim. I have serviced and rebuilt over a 1,000 different ones in my 40 plus year career.[/quo

Me neither. I have placed a 1915 rim, sans sound board, against the fence. It took almost 5 years for the laminations to begin separating, (in the rain and weather). They were all maple. I don't remember seeing anything in the Steinway lumber yard that would have been sufficient quantities of beech for rim use when I got a behind the scenes tour.
regards,

J
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
J
I guess that counts as pretty solid build quality then!

YAMAHA Artist
E
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E

Originally Posted by joe80
I guess that counts as pretty solid build quality then!

I agree. I thought the hide glue joints in the case would let go pretty quick, but nothing happened for the first two years outside. It makes me wonder why people get so upset about washing a piano case with soap and water.
Regards,

J
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
J
I clean my piano with disinfectant spray after teaching, and usually at least once after practising. I dampen a cloth with it so I'm not allowing it to drip into the keyboard and it's been fine.

YAMAHA Artist
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I checked on the Steinway D that was used - it is a 1916 Steinway (which explains the very slight action noise audible in pianissimo playing). It is amazing that the hammers, now boxed away, still were and maybe even now are in such good condition.

I prefer the vintage American wine and gold colours which are sweeter and offer more heart, warmth and romance, than either the deep chocolate and bronze colours of the Hamburg hammers or the recent decades of the American hammers.

Something has been lost since 1940 or 1939 . . . or even 1950.

M.

J
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
J
do you think it's just the hammers that make the difference or do you think it's the whole piano? I'm sure the hammers are quite an important factor, but do you think that there could be other contributing factors?

YAMAHA Artist
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
FWIW and only MHO, pianos are stringed instruments played percussively. I play, or more accurately, used to play both violin and viola. We change strings regularly and don't consider our instrument a "new" brand; we select bows (hammers) independent of our instrument purchase. We replace bridges regularly; we move the sound post around for best sound. We replace the pegs, nut, tail piece, etc., on an as needed basis, and still consider our instrument the original make. What would we have to change to "spoil" our fiddle? Replace the front plate, ie, the soundboard. The front plate is carefully tuned, as is the back plate, and is the main ingredient giving each violin its distinctive timbre. With that in mind, I would suggest you could replace anything on a piano, with the exception of the soundboard, and still consider it "original."

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
John,

With that logic, and I agree with your use of "original," contrary to S&S marketing, a piano rebuilt and re-boarded in the Steinway shops would also be a "Steinwas." However, that doesn't seem to be the point of contention.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
But if the soundboard is replaced by the original maker (whether a violin or piano) is it not still the product of that maker? "Original" -- meaning all the original parts-- is not necessarily the same as the brand identification.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty
John,

With that logic, and I agree with your use of "original," contrary to S&S marketing, a piano rebuilt and re-boarded in the Steinway shops would also be a "Steinwas." However, that doesn't seem to be the point of contention.

It would be a rebuilt, but still a Steinway. If I could have my Andrea Guarneri fiddle rebuild by Andrea Guarneri, I'd consider it an original, but rebuilt. If rebuilt by someone else, then I guess I'd consider it firewood. Well, maybe not, but definitely no longer a Guarneri.

Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
The violin analogy has limits. The soundboard and back of a violin are carved to shape. A piano soundboard is glued to shape. If a Steinway soundboard looses its shape-it is a Steinwas. In this case the soundboard must be replaced to restore the original utility.

Steinway talks a lot about "building in tension". When that tension is destroyed by repeated cycles of significant humidity change-it goes away.

The proof is how does a piano sound and play and how long do those qualities endure with use.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
There was a time when top plates in violins were replaced. Today it is frowned upon, to say the least. That may happen with piano soundboards.

Semipro Tech

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
A number of years ago I believed that a rebuilt piano, with a new board, couldn't possibly retain the characteristics of the "original," and certainly not the signature sound of the maker. I have now played lots of rebuilt pianos, from various talented artisans, and their rebuilt pianos retain the essential qualities of the instruments whose name is on the fallboard.

Does this always happen? Of course not. With proper care, an Extonia needn't remain in exile, however. It can be brought back to "original."

Marty in Minnesota

K
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
K
This is such an effective marketing tactic I have to admit it is frustrating.

Even with the sophisticated folks here at PW, it sometimes works. Well, it can get in their heads a bit. It is really a shame, because the people who fall for this sales tactic are likely to buy an inferior instrument for a lot more money, and being stuck with it.

Don't pay attention to how the piano sounds. Don't pay attention to how the piano feels. Don't pay attention to how the piano performs. Don't pay attention to the service or warranty or support for the piano.

Boooo!!!!! You haven't even bought the piano yet.......think about selling it! Don't think about its performance, think about how some imaginary person in the future who also wont consider its performance might be scared of buying it from you because of all the scary stuff we are trying to convince you of!

If you don't like the performance of a piano, don't buy it. New, used, factory, custom, whatever. Doesn't sound good? Dont buy it. Doesn't play well? Don't buy it. Doesn't look good? Don't buy it. Bad service? Don't buy it. Bad warranty? Don't buy it.

If you like the performance of a piano, the support that comes with it, and you can afford it, that might be the piano that you will be happy owning. And guess what, that is how intelligent people buy pianos! And in the future, if you want to sell it, if it sounds good, looks good, performs well, and is priced fairly, an intelligent person will buy it!

The people who are scared away from this piano or that piano by sales pitches which take focus away from performance are not as numerous as the people who buy pianos based on performance within their budget.

Please. Don't be suckers ( sorry to use such a harsh word ) and buy a piano for reasons other than how it sounds, how it plays, how it looks, how it is supported and if you can afford it.

Keith D Kerman
PianoCraft
New and Used Piano Sales, Expert Rebuilding and Service
www.pianocraft.net
check out www.sitkadoc.com/ and www.vimeo.com/203188875
www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Marty, if you want to get down to the basic physics of the subject, the sound board is nothing more than a transducer, an impedance matching device, which takes the mechanical motion of the strings, via the bridge, and matches the impedance of the air (Fourier transforms, any one?). Important, however, is that mechanically, it matches a choke/capacitor combination in electrical circuits, and introduces frequency filtering. It's this filtering which gives each instrument it's unique signature (along with a couple thousand other variables). If I were rebuilding, I would attempt to reuse the original sound board it at all possible.

While the piano sound board is under tension, the violin is actual under a bit of tension as well. Obviously scaled way down. When you insert the post between the back and front plates, you introduce a very small amount of tension on the front plate. The back plate is a hardwood, usually cherry or equivalent. The front plate is a soft wood, usually a spruce variety. And as noted before, both plates are usually tuned to a resonance, on F and the other G. This gives the violin a really rich sound when playing in certain keys.

A major difference between the piano and violin, besides the method used to vibrate the strings, is how the bridge works. On a violin, the bridge works to transform horizontal string movement. The bridge pivots on one foot or the other, to impart a vertical motion to the sound board, which then acoustically couples the sound to the surrounding air. On a piano, the string motion is almost completely vertical, so the bridge is merely a coupling device, not a motion changing device (my college physics was nearly 50 years ago, so forgive me if I am faulty in some of the terminology).

Interestingly, on a grand, the back wave, which would cancel out the front wave, reflects off the hardwood floor and returns to either vibrate the sound board sympathetically or cancel certain frequencies. This is what happens on a violin. With a carpet underneath, the back wave is absorbed to a great degree, and the major sound component is coming off the top of the sound board. Would you believe, some genius in Tacoma, put a hardwood board under the piano, to duplicate the piano lid, but knew so little about physics as to not realize that he was perfectly cancelling out the bottom and top wave for most listeners. I went to a concert once, and the pianist was sweating gallons of perspiration to be heard, and the piano was almost silent!

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
John,

I'm not arguing with you at all. All I wanted to interject was the concept of what 'rebuilt' is, rather than "original parts" or the use of the term "original." Nothing more, nothing less.

The discussion had been about soundboard replacement and if a rebuilt can match the same quality that the instrument was when it was first built. I believe that it can.

What the idiot in Tacoma did is irrelevant! And nobody is suggesting that a piano should use a soundboard for a case lid or a lid for a soundboard.

Violins and pianos are two different animals.

Marty in Minnesota

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Marty, I wasn't suggesting we disagreed at all. I was trying to expand on the topic and add some color and background information. As a player of both instruments, I find more similarities than differences.

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Gotcha!

Marty in Minnesota

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission