Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
141 registered (Alexander Borro, accordeur, Achilleas, 41 invisible), 1803 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2154391 - 09/20/13 12:07 PM GRIEG LYRIC PIECES OPUS 68 - PART 9 of 10
dire tonic Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: uk south
Opus 68, right up until the last few weeks, has been in a state of flux with fate playing its part in choosing the final cast list as the curtain rises. My sincere thanks go to Valencia, LadyChen and Carey for taking on their pieces so late in the day having only a fraction of the time originally set aside for preparation of the recital. After listening there can be no doubt it was a labour of love for them all.

THE LYRIC PIECES

‘The 66 lyric pieces were published in 10 volumes over a period of about 40 years, from 1867 to 1901. They include some of Grieg’s best known works, along with the ‘humoresker’, ‘Pictures from country life’ ,’Stimmungen’ (‘moods/atmospheres) and several other collections of miniature character pieces. Of the lyric pieces, Arietta, Wedding day at Troldhaugen (Grieg’s residence), March of the Trolls, To Spring, and Butterfly are well loved. The first lyric piece, Arietta was also one of Grieg’s favourite melodies, and he reused it in the final piece: ‘Remembrances’, a ‘humourous waltz’.
In the first book, Opus 12, the titles: ‘Norwegian’, Folktune and National Song, indicate his nationalist principles. Years later, in the 1890’s, opus 54 shows a ‘second nationalist period began … with fresh exploitation of Norwegian folk idioms that included characteristic miniatures like ‘herdboy’ and ‘bellringing’’. 4 out of the 6 pieces in that opus were later orchestrated as ‘Lyric Suite’, and 2 of the pieces in opus 68 were also orchestrated.
Grieg’s involvement with folk music seems to have had a strong effect on his harmonic imagination, resulting in radical advances. And ‘within the simple outlines of traditional small forms (ABA and especially the extended ABABA often with varied repeats), he managed to create a wealth of mood sketches. These pieces, along with the 3 sets of folk song arrangements (opp 17, 66, 72) span the whole of Grieg’s development as a composer for the piano’.
(Note: The 2 pieces entitled: Spring Dance (opus 38, no 5, and opus 47 no 6) describe a leaping (springing) dance, rather than a dance of the season of spring).

Source; The New Grove Dictionary of music and musicians, 5th Edition and Wikipedia.

The tomb of Edvard Grieg on a Norwegian Mountainside.

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2154401 - 09/20/13 12:16 PM Re: GRIEG LYRIC PIECES OPUS 68 - PART 9 of 10 [Re: dire tonic]
1000 Post Club Member

Opus 68 No 1: Sailor's Song (Performed by Valencia)

This little march-like piece is upbeat and patriotic sounding. It’s got a strong steady rhythm that doesn’t really come through in my playing. I tried to keep the tempo moving but because I learned this piece on shorter notice I didn’t have time to get it quite steady.

To keep the piece sounding crisp and strong, I limited the use of pedal but did use it during some of the non-staccatto notes and then a little at the bars that end the piece (and also occur first in the middle). Also, I had to modify the bars with the big chords because they were hurting my right hand to play them. Hopefully it doesn’t take away too much from the piece.

The pictures are just a mix of those off a public domain site that were sea/sailor related.

Enjoy!
smile

#2154407 - 09/20/13 12:22 PM Re: GRIEG LYRIC PIECES OPUS 68 - PART 9 of 10 [Re: dire tonic]
1000 Post Club Member

Opus 68 No 2: Grandmother's minuet (Performed by Lady Chen)

I was pleased to be able to pick up this piece to help the group complete the set. Thankfully it wasn't too technically difficult, but I struggled a bit with coming up with suitable imagery for this little minuet. Of course, I had to think of my own grandmother, and all the summers I spent with her as a child. The B section of this minuet made me think of her knitting needles moving at a furious pace .

A big thank you to all the organizers of this incredible endeavour, and of course to all the performers. We should all be proud!

#2154421 - 09/20/13 12:40 PM Re: GRIEG LYRIC PIECES OPUS 68 - PART 9 of 10 [Re: dire tonic]
1000 Post Club Member

Opus 68 No 3: At Your Feet (Performed by dire tonic)

After spending most of my life playing fixed-tempo music, rubato is a mysterious being to try and dig out of the inner self. Some things work, some don’t. But which? I’m going through a stage of grappling with it by trying deliberately to “ham up”, to exaggerate, perhaps even to the point of sounding absurd - though hopefully not in this piece! I’m hoping that by overshooting, the failures will stand out in sharp relief. On replay, my fermatas usually sound too hasty so maybe I need to inject still more ham.

Not too difficult to play. I see some careless fingering here and there masked by the sustain pedal but the mood of this is close to what I was aiming for. Knowing no better, I tended to start my rolls with the lowest note. It took me a little while to realise that almost everyone plays the LH root in 12 and 13 after the half note pair in the RH. Music, the voyage of discovery.

I don’t know if At Your Feet reflects the cosy adoration felt by one family member for another or that of a domestic pet for its owner (or maybe something altogether different?) but this is my favourite of the Lyric Pieces I took on for the recital; a lovely, warm, quite intricate miniature with something familiar about the mood and key changes.

(Since recording this I’ve moved to a VPC1 piano controller so this will be my last wobbling recital on the Casio. I've reinforced the X-stand making it much more stable.)

#2154423 - 09/20/13 12:44 PM Re: GRIEG LYRIC PIECES OPUS 68 - PART 9 of 10 [Re: dire tonic]
1000 Post Club Member

Opus 68 No 4: Evening in the mountains (Performed by dire tonic)

According to Nokleberg’s book on the Lyric Pieces, Evening in the Mountains, dedicated to Frants Beyer, was originally called Cow Call but he wrote to Beyer “…can be thought of as an evening in Utladalen”. Its broad scale is reflected in the simple tranquil, melodic opening reflecting calm meadows rising through an extended modulation of chords then falling and rising again to a peak. To my ears these edgy harmonies move with granite determination, unwilling to conform, evoking the irresistible force of nature. It's a wonderful piece of musical imagery.

Tech notes; I’d like to be able to bring out the fortissimo more but haven’t yet cracked the technique. Leaps, too, are a problem. I’ve always avoided music which needed them but I’ve recently started to seize every opportunity. For the moment though, the three LH jumps from low octave to mid-chord are not as fast as I hope to able to make them. Reverb: I upped the wet-dry balance to help make it more grandiose. For a couple of weeks I had occasional loan of a friend’s laptop with Sony Vegas installed, hence some of the recreational videos. This one is made from slow pans of public domain stills of mountain scenery coupled with eerie wind recordings.

LimeFriday who quickly selected this piece after the recital announcement, disappeared from the forum without trace soon after having responded positively to a recent progress check. It turns out she’s been hospitalised for several weeks, a fact which only came to notice rather late in the day. As I’m standing in for her, I’d like to dedicate this to LimeFriday and wish her a speedy recovery, hoping she’ll soon be back enjoying the company of her forum friends and finally able to engage in one of the recitals.

#2154426 - 09/20/13 12:46 PM Re: GRIEG LYRIC PIECES OPUS 68 - PART 9 of 10 [Re: dire tonic]
1000 Post Club Member

Opus 68 No 5: Cradle Song (Performed by Carey)

Initially, "At the Cradle" seemed like it might be relatively easy to pull off, but the writing is very "exposed" and the pacing and voicing are really quite challenging. This is a beautiful little piece, however, and one of the more well-known Lyric Pieces.

#2154429 - 09/20/13 12:48 PM Re: GRIEG LYRIC PIECES OPUS 68 - PART 9 of 10 [Re: dire tonic]
1000 Post Club Member

Opus 68 No 6: Melancholy Waltz (Performed by Carey)

In a sense, "Melancholy Waltz" was a bit ahead of its time. Had Grieg been born a few years later, he might have become an excellent composer of film scores. I found the biggest challenges of this piece to be the parallel thirds, the voicing, and the transitions between sections.

#2154438 - 09/20/13 12:59 PM Re: GRIEG LYRIC PIECES OPUS 68 - PART 9 of 10 [Re: dire tonic]
1000 Post Club Member

Don't forget to feast your eyes and ears on tomorrow's final opus of Grieg's Lyric Pieces!

Master thread... click here

#2155930 - 09/23/13 02:13 AM Re: GRIEG LYRIC PIECES OPUS 68 - PART 9 of 10 [Re: dire tonic]
casinitaly Online   blank

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Enjoy the penultimate performances !

#2155979 - 09/23/13 05:58 AM Re: GRIEG LYRIC PIECES OPUS 68 - PART 9 of 10 [Re: casinitaly]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Nah then. These were more easily understandable by the likes o` me . . .

1 Valencia I know this tune, but I never knew who composed it. Very Naval with troughs and crests, heaving seas and jolly tars (sailors, that`s what we call `em) hanging on to whatever they can! You play with authority and precision. A bit of reverb could be added to the processing maybe? Excellent! An excellent start.

2 Lady Chen We expect a lot from your fingers. And we get it! This trips along fantastically with lovely expression and a great piano sound!

3 DireTonic You`ve worked so hard on these, and you get the job done magnificently every time. A fine film score if I ever heard one; your piano sounds indistinguishable from a 9 footer, with all the expression.

4 DireTonic Now then. Which came first? "The Lark Ascending" or this? A dramatic piece with lofty aspirations . . . Mr Vaughn Williams. I need to see you in my office . . . .

5 Carey An evocative place to be in; so pleasant and stress free. Grieg wishing? Reminiscing? Dammit, I`m doin` it meself now . . .Great rendition, as usual . . .

6 Carey This is more complex; I wouldn`t do it. Plenty of soaring stuff here which typify the great man. But I still wouldn`t play it. I thoroughly enjoyed you doing the playing!

This little lot was a real treat. Loved `em all . . . long may you guys continue!

Edited by peterws (09/23/13 05:59 AM)

""

#2156012 - 09/23/13 08:16 AM Re: GRIEG LYRIC PIECES OPUS 68 - PART 9 of 10 [Re: dire tonic]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
68/1, Sailor's Song (Performed by Valencia): Very nice job with giving the grandeur of sailors going out to sea on a large sailboat. I just wonder how it would sound on a nice grand piano! I couldn't tell any of the chords were changed, so that worked out well!

68/2, Grandmother's minuet (Performed by Lady Chen): I had played through this piece a couple of times, having mistakenly thought this was the one I had picked up later (which turned out to be the French Serenade). At the time, I wasn't really impressed with it. Your playing, however, really gave this piece life! I love the imagery of your grandmother, and perhaps that inspiration is all it needed. Well done!

68/3, At Your Feet (Performed by dire tonic): This piece sounds much like I imagined it would from the title, very sweet and Romantic in nature. I love your choices of rubato - I don't think you went too far, you went just far enough! Also, I enjoyed how you did the hands not together stuff. I don't hear that nearly enough! I would love to hear this on the VPC1 for comparison. As for the wobbly x-stand, have you considered getting a table stand? Or does the VPC1 have a stand? I have table stands for both my keyboard and the FP-7 and I swear by them for stability and portability.

68/4, Evening in the mountains (Performed by dire tonic): What a strange, evocative piece! As for your leaps, I think the timing of the acciaccaturas is perfect as you did them - they're not meant to be "crunched" but given space. I loved the pictures too, very lonely at those mountain tops! Here's hoping LimeFriday gets well soon and can post her recording of this piece.

68/5, Cradle Song (Performed by Carey): Your playing was very delicate in this piece, adding to the wonderful pictures, I can definitely imagine how this was probably something very near and dear to Grieg's heart. Having lost his only child, I'm sure he longed to have another, perhaps this song was him wondering about what could have been by this point in his life. By the way, wonderful recording, too - what are you playing and what did you use for equipment?

68/6, Melancholy Waltz (Performed by Carey): Lots of big, lush chords in this one. I can see what you mean about difficulty with the transitions, but the way you played them made perfect sense and everything flowed nicely. I can imagine this being played in a movie scene where people are heading to a big ball in Vienna, but one where the protagonist is a spy and is there for subterfuge smile
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2156059 - 09/23/13 09:47 AM Re: GRIEG LYRIC PIECES OPUS 68 - PART 9 of 10 [Re: dire tonic]
griffin2417 Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012

Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Congratulations to everyone who have contributed to this amazing collection of performances. Its going to take quite a bit a time before I can finish listening to the collections in their entirety. However, I wanted to let you know how much I appreciate your tremendous efforts in getting this accomplished. WOW!

#2156090 - 09/23/13 11:04 AM Re: GRIEG LYRIC PIECES OPUS 68 - PART 9 of 10 [Re: Morodiene]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Originally Posted By: Morodienne
By the way, wonderful recording, too - what are you playing and what did you use for equipment?

I'm recording on my home Mason and Hamlin BB (7 foot) - lid fully raised - two AKG Perception 220 mics on stands positioned about 8 feet away - using a Tascam DR-100 digital recorder. I usually send my recordings by e-mail to a PW buddy who graciously tweaks the sound a bit and adds a slight concert hall reverb - since I'm a totally ignorant when it comes to using programs such as Audacity. crazy

And don't be shy about turning up the volume when listening to the Melancholy Waltz. That's the best way to hear the full sound I was hearing when recording the piece.

Gotta run some errands right now - but will definitely comment later today on the wonderful performances of the first four pieces in this opus. thumb

#2156211 - 09/23/13 02:32 PM Re: GRIEG LYRIC PIECES OPUS 68 - PART 9 of 10 [Re: Morodiene]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

68/1, Sailor's Song (Performed by Valencia): This has been one of my favorite Grieg Lyric Pieces ever since I was a kid (in a galaxy far far away)...not that I could play it back then !! I really liked your performance. You are doing so many things well here and are so close to "nailing" the piece.....but I think you can play it even more effectively if you 1) continue to practice sections of the piece with a metronome (a steady tempo is critical to the forward momentum and drive of the piece), and 2) try not to slow down quite so much at the ritards in the FF sections that you lose the drive of the piece (this is the climax after all - so play loudly and be bold !!). thumb

68/2, Grandmother's minuet (Performed by Lady Chen): Lovely !!!!!!! Nice work !!!!

68/3, At Your Feet (Performed by dire tonic): Another effective interpretation by a pro. You really seem to "get" Grieg's style.

68/4, Evening in the mountains (Performed by dire tonic): Terrific shaping of the RH melodic material in the first half of the piece. Very effective interpretation overall. thumb

Finally - I'd never taken the time to listen to all six pieces in Opus 68 sequentially - and as a whole they are quite diverse and effective. Good work folks !!!!

#2156288 - 09/23/13 05:05 PM Re: GRIEG LYRIC PIECES OPUS 68 - PART 9 of 10 [Re: dire tonic]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southeast of Spain
Every performance of this opus 68 has been a gem to listen to. This themed recital should be eternal.

Thank you so much Valencia, Lady Chen, Dire Tonic and Carey for putting your talent on this project.

My website

#2156291 - 09/23/13 05:10 PM Re: GRIEG LYRIC PIECES OPUS 68 - PART 9 of 10 [Re: dire tonic]
dynamobt Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NH
Grieg Lyric Pieces Opus 68

Opus 68 No 1: Sailor's Song (Performed by Valencia)
This is just a rousing good beer drinking song!! You did very well for short notice. You aren’t the only one who struggled with big Grieg chords! Editing is not only allowed but practically mandatory. Good job with this!!

Opus 68 No 2: Grandmother's minuet (Performed by Lady Chen)
This strikes me as quite different from most of the other lyric pieces. Quite light and frivolous. You did a wonderful job with the mood and tempo. Thanks for picking this up short notice. It’s so nice to have all the pieces taken by someone. Nicely done!

Opus 68 No 3: At Your Feet (Performed by dire tonic)
After your little intro, I was expecting. . . .well, I don’t know what I was expecting. But, I’d never know you struggled with the rubato!! This is an eerily evocative piece. I quite liked it. Enjoyed your playing very much.

Opus 68 No 4: Evening in the mountains (Performed by dire tonic)
What a dark and strange little piece! This whole opus is “different”. You did a wonderful job with the dynamic moods of this piece. You are stretching your technique in these pieces from the sound of it, and doing a nice job too! Thanks for stepping in at a late date!!

Opus 68 No 5: Cradle Song (Performed by Carey)
I do enjoy your playing very much. You play with sensitivity and care. This is a beautiful little melody just beautifully played. Thank you for sharing!

Opus 68 No 6: Melancholy Waltz (Performed by Carey)
Well, other than getting a bit dizzy with your twirling figures!!, I enjoyed this very much!! You are wonderfully expressive in your playing. Just what this piece called for. You have been a great addition to this recital. Hope you join us in the ABF Quarterly Recitals. I want to hear more!!!
edited to add, just discovered you have a BB! No wonder I like your playing!! Great taste in pianos!!!!!

Edited by dynamobt (09/23/13 05:14 PM)

#2156469 - 09/23/13 09:30 PM Re: GRIEG LYRIC PIECES OPUS 68 - PART 9 of 10 [Re: dire tonic]
Valencia Offline

Thank you to everyone for listening and to Griffin, Recaredo, dynamobt, Morodiene, peterws and carey for your comments. Peterws, that is funny you mention reverb, that is exactly what dire tonic suggested after he listened to it! I don’t think my keyboard has reverb but maybe this is something I can do in audacity. carey I really appreciate your suggestions and will try to implement them. The metronome is definitely in order. Just wait until you hear the piece I play for tomorrow’s batch. (Peace of the Woods); It is worse and also needs the metronome. It’s bad enough when I don’t record, and then recording makes me shake and lose my place with the score which adds further to the unevenness. For this recital in particular it was a real struggle for me. (the unevenness and the recording...)

Morodiene the piece tomorrow should be played on a grand piano as well. I think you might agree!

Dynamobt-I’m glad you enjoyed the piece! Good to hear I’m not the only one that needed to modify the score!

To the other contributors to this Opus: dire tonic, Ladychen, and carey....your performances were fantastic......thank you for sharing! heart

#2156561 - 09/24/13 12:24 AM Re: GRIEG LYRIC PIECES OPUS 68 - PART 9 of 10 [Re: dire tonic]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Dynamobt - Thanks to you and others for making me feel so welcome on the ABF. I really appreciate the friendship and support that you give each other here....a wonderful community of music lovers. And I bet your 1918 M&H BB sounds terrific !!!!! thumb

Valencia - Recording can be a challenging process. I don't even want to admit to you how many "takes" are often required before I get something that I can live with. So don't be hard on yourself - we're all on the same boat - and you're doing just fine !! Of course - recording is infinitely easier than playing by "memory" in public......but, fortunately, I stopped doing THAT years ago. ha

Cheers !!

#2156682 - 09/24/13 07:32 AM Re: GRIEG LYRIC PIECES OPUS 68 - PART 9 of 10 [Re: carey]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted By: carey
Originally Posted By: Morodienne
By the way, wonderful recording, too - what are you playing and what did you use for equipment?

I'm recording on my home Mason and Hamlin BB (7 foot) - lid fully raised - two AKG Perception 220 mics on stands positioned about 8 feet away - using a Tascam DR-100 digital recorder. I usually send my recordings by e-mail to a PW buddy who graciously tweaks the sound a bit and adds a slight concert hall reverb - since I'm a totally ignorant when it comes to using programs such as Audacity. crazy

And don't be shy about turning up the volume when listening to the Melancholy Waltz. That's the best way to hear the full sound I was hearing when recording the piece.

Gotta run some errands right now - but will definitely comment later today on the wonderful performances of the first four pieces in this opus. thumb
I'm very curious about how you positioned the mics, and how you even decided on which mics to buy. For my recordings I've been using the Zoom H4n and the onboard mics, at a position right behind me and above me as I play. I experimented with other positions and additional mics, and found this to be the simplest. It was close enough to get clarity but far enough away to avoid somewhat the damper pedal noise. I would like to get more "room" sound though, so that's why I added reverb on it after the fact, and found the concert hall sound to be to my liking. However, there are some pieces I did, like Brooklet, where I think a drier room sound might be neat. Back to experimenting!
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2156871 - 09/24/13 02:12 PM Re: GRIEG LYRIC PIECES OPUS 68 - PART 9 of 10 [Re: dire tonic]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Valencia - very nice. Had a sort of hymn-like quality in places.

Cathy

#2156937 - 09/24/13 04:52 PM Re: GRIEG LYRIC PIECES OPUS 68 - PART 9 of 10 [Re: dire tonic]
patH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Germany
These pieces feel like Intermezzi, I believe. Lots of breaks and interruptions in the music. The challenge is to play them so that it doesn't sound scattered.

And again, the performers pulled it off. thumb

#2157237 - 09/25/13 03:58 AM Re: GRIEG LYRIC PIECES OPUS 68 - PART 9 of 10 [Re: dire tonic]
Ganddalf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Norway
68/1, Sailor's Song (Performed by Valencia):

One of the charming things with Grieg’s Lyric Pieces is that each of them has its own character. Still many of them have in common the typical Grieg’ish harmonies. The Sailor’s Song, however, as well as the following Grandmother’s Minuet, seems to be less inspired by Norwegian folklore than many of the other compositions by Grieg. This may be the reason why these two pieces are not so frequently played. I enjoyed your clear and crisp performance of the Sailor’s Song, and I imagine you did it the way Grieg intended.

68/2, Grandmother's minuet (Performed by Lady Chen):

This was very enjoyable to listen to. Many years ago I made an attempt playing it, but I found it somewhat boring and put it aside. You demonstrated that the piece isn’t boring at all, but a very nice piece.

68/3, At Your Feet (Performed by dire tonic):

Although this is just four pages, it is a great composition. Lately it has become one of my favorites. I wouldn’t actually call this an easy piece to play, but you seem to do it with confidence and with great dynamics. Excellent performance!

68/4, Evening in the mountains (Performed by dire tonic):

In Norway cattle was commonly moved to pastures in the mountain regions during summer and usually a woman (often a young girl) stayed at a primitive lodge (Norwegian: “Sæter” – corresponding to Austrian: “Alm”, don’t think there is an English word for it) in the mountains during this period. She had to milk the cows, and produce butter and cheese from the milk, and the Cow Call (“Kulokk”) was always used to gather the cattle in the afternoon. The melody of the Cow Call was usually very simple, often like the two first bars of the last movement of Beethoven’s 6th Symphony. The unison part of “Evening in the Mountains” is probably inspired by a traditional Cow Call. You manage to make this unison part sound interesting, and play the piece as a whole in an excellent manner. I enjoyed it very much.

68/5, Cradle Song (Performed by Carey):

Among all the folk music Grieg was exposed to was also several Cradle Songs (Norwegian: “Bådnlåt”). The theme used in this piece has the style of such a song, and Grieg has captured the typical mood here. It is one of my favorite Lyric Pieces. You seem to understand this music very well and play like a professional. Enjoyable performance.

68/6, Melancholy Waltz (Performed by Carey):

Another Lyric Piece that is almost never played. It was so interesting and nice to listen to that I had to play the recording several times. Great job!

#2159568 - 09/29/13 10:05 AM Re: GRIEG LYRIC PIECES OPUS 68 - PART 9 of 10 [Re: Ganddalf]
SwissMS Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
Opus 68 No 1: Sailor's Song (Performed by Valencia) This really does sound like a nautical March. I like your restraint with the pedal to emphasize the marching character. Nicely played!

Opus 68 No 2: Grandmother's minuet (Performed by Lady Chen) I like your approach to the dynamics of this piece. You keep it marching along and keep it from sounding disjointed. Lovely expression and I love the sound of your piano!

Opus 68 No 3: At Your Feet (Performed by dire tonic) I love this piece! It is opulent and beautiful, and you do it justice. I thought your approach to the rubato was quite good, giving the piece emotional character.

Opus 68 No 4: Evening in the mountains (Performed by dire tonic) What a strange piece. It has a lonely feeling, such as being in a strange place alone for the first time. I liked your pacing of the piece, emphasizing that feeling. Nicely played!

Opus 68 No 5: Cradle Song (Performed by Carey) This is a lovely piece that you play with great sensitivity. It is a joyful piece overlaid with a hint of sadness. Very nice performance.

Opus 68 No 6: Melancholy Waltz (Performed by Carey) This is a grand, rich piece and I really enjoyed your playing of it. I thought your transitions worked well, making the piece a nice cohesive presentation. The continuous chord transitions sounds challenging.

European Piano Party July 4, 2015 in Switzerland!

#2160854 - 10/02/13 01:27 PM Re: GRIEG LYRIC PIECES OPUS 68 - PART 9 of 10 [Re: dire tonic]
Dipsy Offline

Though I don't think I can add much to what's been said, here's my thoughts on this penultimate batch

Sailor's song - Valencia: It really sounded to me liket you DID manage to keep this moving and sound steady. It had a feeling of cameraderie and was upbeat and outward looking, and therefore captured much of how sailors are together - thank you.

Grandmother's minuet - LadyChen: Very competent. Your playing suggested busy activity - I liked your image of knitting - it suited this. The development section made my think of the music of Bach, unusually.

At your feet - dire tonic: If you had problems with rubato, I wasn't skilled enough to detect them. This was very nicely controlled, and conveyed to me a sentimental affection. When the melody was high up towards the end, your notes fell like dewdrops - beautiful! (is this what people mean when they say playing sounds 'wet'?)

Evening in the mountains - dire tonic again. This made me think of the starkness of sheer rock faces, and clouds moving across the landscape, casting their shadow - and later, of the inexorable advance of night. Throughout it all the mountains face the elements, unmoved. Well communicated.

Cradle song - Carey: simplicity, care, gentleness - all these came across and matched the theme perfectly. The melody reminded me of a Christmas Carol. Congratulations.

Melancholy waltz - Carey again: this really conjured up couples whirling around a dance hall, and wasn't as melancholy as I'd expected (thankfully). Nicely done.

#2161270 - 10/03/13 04:16 PM Re: GRIEG LYRIC PIECES OPUS 68 - PART 9 of 10 [Re: dire tonic]
casinitaly Online   blank

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Valencia/Sailor’s Song Most enjoyable! I could picture the sailors busy about their work, so much rhythmic activity – swabbing the decks, hosting the sails, turning the capstan, stomp and heave, stomp and heave – but then the lighter parts made me thing of sweeping waves and sparkling waters – I really think you captured the flavour of this piece very well. I’m inspired to give it a try myself now! Thank you !

LadyChen /Grandmother’s Minuet That was charming! Of course after reading your text I thought about my grandmother too. More the tap tap of her high heels as she walked- always quickly - beside me. I really enjoyed the lively happy tones in this piece – delightful performance!

Dire tonic/At Your Feet Well, I have no idea what the idea behind the title might be, but I am at your feet in admiration for all the splendid performances you’ve submitted to this recital! This was a particularly “romantic” sounding piece to my mind, I really loved the fullness of the sound and the gorgeous swells and waves of emotion that flow through it. A very enjoyable listening experience indeed!

Dire Tonic/Evening in the Mountains That was a very particular piece….It was very weird and wonderful, mysterious, odd sounding, but intriguing. I was fascinated –I think you did a fantastic job on bringing out the “strangeness” of this piece in a way that pulled me in as listener rather than giving me the shivers! Your photo selections were a perfect match! I thoroughly enjoyed listening to your performance.

Carey/Cradle Song Oh, sweet! What a loving, tender performance. – and charming pictures to go with it too! This piece spoke to me of the wonder in new parents’ eyes as they gaze on their infant child – and equally of a child’s wonder at first time discoveries of his or her environment. Fresh, soft, light, - again and again I am charmed by Grieg’s compositions, and your performance of them.

Carey/Melancholy Waltz I agree with you – Grieg could have composed film scores. This piece made me think mood swings – light happy, content, with anxiety creeping in and verging on the edge of panic – then calming down again. I can’t quite picture the film –but the feelings are there – sweeping over you, carrying you along in their path. What a stunning job you’ve done on bringing all this tension to life!

And that brings me to the conclusion of this Opus. What can I say? Each Opus is full of pieces that are gems, and performances to be proud of.
Thank you one and all!

#2164209 - 10/10/13 12:22 AM Re: GRIEG LYRIC PIECES OPUS 68 - PART 9 of 10 [Re: dire tonic]
AimeeO Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013

Loc: New Orleans
68/1, Valencia: oooh, I liked that! It sounded like a busy day at sea, with everyone relaxing with a beverage to reward themselves after a hard day's work.

68/2, LadyChen: This one is fun as well... I caught the knitting needles, also! This was certainly a contented little lady of a piece.. well done!

68/3, dire tonic: So sweet and adoring! To me it shows adoration of someone, warts and all. I really enjoyed your performance.

68/4, dire tonic: Wow.. a grand one for sure! I love how most of these pieces tell such a story, and lead you through so many emotions. Yours did not disappoint. I felt like I was in the mountains at dusk, with feelings solitude combined with admiration of what I was seeing.

68/5, carey: That was so tender, and filled with adoration.. I thought you painted a perfect vignette(Oh, and speaking of painting, great choices in artwork selection)

68/6, carey: I loved this one as well. That anticipation! And that ending just leaves you wondering what just happened, and will we have it again?

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Do you play the piano 'for relaxation'?
by bennevis
11/26/14 01:18 PM
Daily temperature swings
by Stubbie
11/26/14 11:45 AM
New Grotrian 6'3" v. Steinway B
by chasingrainbows
11/26/14 11:17 AM
HAPPY THANKSGIVING
by musdan
11/26/14 10:07 AM
Book about Alice Herz-Sommer, pianist and holocaust survivor
by neuralfirings
11/26/14 09:20 AM
Forum Stats
77053 Members
42 Forums
159367 Topics
2341055 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission