Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2154717 - 09/20/13 07:41 PM Marshall & Wendell Baby Grand Rebuild
TechRx Offline

Hello!

For whatever reason (insanity) I am rebuilding a 5'0" Marshall & Wendell. This piano was previously "restored" by someone and I am having a bit of difficulty descerning original from "let's saw and glue whatever we can." Wondering if anyone out there has seen this brand before, and might be able to shed some light on making this "old gal" play well again. (or at least ... be worth playing on again.)

Link to Flickr Photos of Piano is the pile of photos.

I'm trying specifically to find out if the pinblock shelf is 'native' factory, or it was modified after the fact. also, trying to find out of the pinblock to strecher spacing is suppose to be that large of a gap. Thank you for any assistance.

(ad PTG 568) Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
#2155370 - 09/22/13 05:00 AM Re: Marshall & Wendell Baby Grand Rebuild [Re: TechRx]
bkw58 Offline

Silver Supporter until December 19, 2014

Loc: Conway, AR USA
I owned one of these for a short time. Not long enough to really dig into it. It was ca.1920s. Cannot speak to your primary question, but no doubt you've noticed the doped block. Looks like you are replacing it. Wise choice. Best wishes in your endeavor.

#2155491 - 09/22/13 11:18 AM Re: Marshall & Wendell Baby Grand Rebuild [Re: TechRx]
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington
Originally Posted By: TechRx
For whatever reason (insanity) I am rebuilding a 5'0" Marshall & Wendell. This piano was previously "restored" by someone and I am having a bit of difficulty descerning original from "let's saw and glue whatever we can." Wondering if anyone out there has seen this brand before, and might be able to shed some light on making this "old gal" play well again. (or at least ... be worth playing on again.)

Link to Flickr Photos of Piano is the pile of photos.

I'm trying specifically to find out if the pinblock shelf is 'native' factory, or it was modified after the fact. also, trying to find out of the pinblock to strecher spacing is suppose to be that large of a gap. Thank you for any assistance.

Except for some sloppy finishing residue and that little wood bar behind the bridge (presumably to keep a crack from buzzing) I don't see much that is not original. The gap between the pinblock and the stretcher is normal.

Check around the perimeter of the soundboard to see if there was once a gap (5 or 6 mm) between the edge of the soundboard (and inner rim) and the outer rim. This little feature showed up on a number of M&W pianos and it tends to get filled up with creeping crud over the years. Especially when they have been refinished with the plate still in the piano. This gap doesn't do much good in the treble area but does seem to be beneficial around the bass. If it is there you might want to clean it out.

ddf
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon

#2155556 - 09/22/13 02:08 PM Re: Marshall & Wendell Baby Grand Rebuild [Re: TechRx]
S. Phillips Offline

Loc: Forte Farm, Lexington, KY
One really great thing about getting old is that your remember seemingly useless facts that you rarely get to apply. However deep in my vague memory about M&W grands is that the action brackets were made of a "pot" metal that sagged as it aged, making the action regulation virtually impossible. While you might dig up some specs on these actions somewhere, they really aren't very useful until you replace the brackets. (Actually probably the only real use for action measurements from a M&W is for use as passwords or pins for your bank card).

Anyway this will be a great learning experience for you.
2 Steinway Os, Steinway B & C, C. Bechstein A
Phillips Piano Tech
Contributor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
New Federal and State Ivory Regulations and Pianos
http://www.pianobuyer.com/articles/ivory.html

#2156117 - 09/23/13 11:44 AM Re: Marshall & Wendell Baby Grand Rebuild [Re: S. Phillips]
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: S. Phillips
One really great thing about getting old is that your remember seemingly useless facts that you rarely get to apply. However deep in my vague memory about M&W grands is that the action brackets were made of a "pot" metal that sagged as it aged, making the action regulation virtually impossible. While you might dig up some specs on these actions somewhere, they really aren't very useful until you replace the brackets. (Actually probably the only real use for action measurements from a M&W is for use as passwords or pins for your bank card).

Interesting. With all of the M&W grands I've serviced (including a couple of rebuilds) I've never encountered this particular problem. At least not that I remember....

ddf

#2156221 - 09/23/13 02:58 PM Re: Marshall & Wendell Baby Grand Rebuild [Re: TechRx]
S. Phillips Offline

Loc: Forte Farm, Lexington, KY
The ones I saw were pretty easy to spot. The metal had a whitish grey color and in some cases the metal flaked off in layers. It almost looked like exfoliated flagstone with the small cracks occurring parallel with the surface of the metal. Perhaps they figured this out and stopped using their supplier.
2 Steinway Os, Steinway B & C, C. Bechstein A
Phillips Piano Tech
Contributor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
New Federal and State Ivory Regulations and Pianos
http://www.pianobuyer.com/articles/ivory.html

#2159150 - 09/28/13 03:36 PM Re: Marshall & Wendell Baby Grand Rebuild [Re: TechRx]
TechRx Offline

Thank you everyone for the input so far. Did some "scratch" tests on the brackets, so far so good. Can't "seperate" or get much to come off. Delwin, did find a bunch of finish residue in the treble section (it's gone now.) Soundboard was "scraped" this week, going to use some CA to seal up the hairline cracks. Also seal up where the previous rebuilder put screws through the board and grind flush.

** Impressions on M&W. **
To me (the inexperienced eye) this piano looks like a "Chickering knock off." .. Does anyone out there know more about the history of these pianos? They seem to have a charming sound.

Edited by TechRx (09/28/13 03:38 PM)

#2159249 - 09/28/13 06:22 PM Re: Marshall & Wendell Baby Grand Rebuild [Re: TechRx]
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: TechRx
** Impressions on M&W. **
To me (the inexperienced eye) this piano looks like a "Chickering knock off." .. Does anyone out there know more about the history of these pianos? They seem to have a charming sound.

If memory serves the M&W grands I have rebuilt all had decals on the plate saying something like, "Designed by Chickering."

ddf

#2159261 - 09/28/13 06:30 PM Re: Marshall & Wendell Baby Grand Rebuild [Re: TechRx]
bkw58 Offline

Silver Supporter until December 19, 2014

Loc: Conway, AR USA

They do indeed!

Edited by bkw58 (09/28/13 06:31 PM)

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
has anyone tried the Focal alpha 50s or 65s for monitoring?
by dire tonic
09/30/14 11:54 AM
2015 Concerto Competition "Theodor Leschetizky" NY
by Piano World
09/30/14 11:49 AM
Valletta International Piano Competition, Velletta, Malta
by Piano World
09/30/14 11:45 AM
Cleveland International Piano Competition
by Piano World
09/30/14 11:42 AM
International Junior Piano Competition & Festival
by Piano World
09/30/14 11:35 AM
Who's Online
141 registered (accordeur, anotherscott, ajames, A Guy, 36 invisible), 1541 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76376 Members
42 Forums
157889 Topics
2318797 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission