Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2155065 - 09/21/13 03:12 PM Lots to ask...
mbc007 Offline

Hi all,
I'm a newbie ( this is my first posting) not only to this forum but also the piano as well.
I'm 45 and just about to have my first lesson - very excited!
I used to play the organ as a kid and have been waiting 20 years now to take up the piano.
I have a number of requests for help from you and would be delighted to hear your replies.

I'm looking to purchase my first DP and am torn between the yamaha YDP 142 or the Casio PX 750. I was searching the net for info and across this guy http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TRxFUjLMe4s
I have to say he's exactly why I want to take up piano and he can sure play. In fact, I was previously contemplating getting the yamaha ydp 162 because of the better GH action that I've read about but it doesn't seem like this guy has any problem with it!

Can anyone give their opinion on these DPs please?

But watching him has raised the following questions:-

1. Just how good is he? Is there any chance I would ever be able to play like that in say 10 years time or is he beyond us mortals?

2. Does anybody know any of the pieces he plays? I'd love to know the pieces at 0:50 (repeated at 5:00), then the prices at 6:00 and 7:00.

I hope there is someone out there up for the challenge!

Many thanks all

Martin

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2155078 - 09/21/13 03:47 PM Re: Lots to ask... [Re: mbc007]
dynamobt Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NH
Might want to post your questions about a digital piano on the digital piano forum. You'll get lots more responses than here.

Can't help with your other question. Everyone learns at different rates. Get a good teacher. Practice. Practice even when you don't feel like it. Time will tell.

#2155090 - 09/21/13 04:03 PM Re: Lots to ask... [Re: mbc007]
Playagain Offline

HI, mbc007,
Enjoy your first lesson! You can learn a lot in 10 years. I don't know what he was playing except at the very end, he played part of Stevie Wonder's "Isn't She Lovely?"

I have a Yamaha P 155, and I really like it. I don't know what the difference is between it and the Yamaha model you're looking at, though. As someone else said, make sure to post in the Digital Piano Forum about the various piano brands and models, and they can answer your questions.

Enjoy your lessons and keep practicing! Have fun!

#2155101 - 09/21/13 04:32 PM Re: Lots to ask... [Re: mbc007]
mbc007 Offline

Hi. I will!
If anybody knows any of those pieces I'd be very grateful to know.
Cheers!

#2155102 - 09/21/13 04:33 PM Re: Lots to ask... [Re: mbc007]
adultpianist Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: mbc007
Hi all,
I'm a newbie ( this is my first posting) not only to this forum but also the piano as well.
I used to play the organ as a kid and have been waiting 20 years now to take up the piano.
I have a number of requests for help from you and would be delighted to hear your replies.

I'm looking to purchase my first DP and am torn between the yamaha YDP 142 or the Casio PX 750. I was searching the net for info and across this guy http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TRxFUjLMe4s
I have to say he's exactly why I want to take up piano and he can sure play. In fact, I was previously contemplating getting the yamaha ydp 162 because of the better GH action that I've read about but it doesn't seem like this guy has any problem with it!

1. Just how good is he? Is there any chance I would ever be able to play like that in say 10 years time or is he beyond us mortals?

2. Does anybody know any of the pieces he plays? I'd love to know the pieces at 0:50 (repeated at 5:00), then the prices at 6:00 and 7:00.

Many thanks all

Martin

I hope you like the piano. I watched the clip of the man. Unfortunately I dont really have much to say about his playing or what he was playing as it really did not do much for me but we cannot all like the same stuff.

I play on a digital yamaha and what I would say is you have to try lots of different digitals for the way they feel. Good luck.

#2155115 - 09/21/13 04:44 PM Re: Lots to ask... [Re: adultpianist]
mbc007 Offline

Hi
Strange isn't it how we all have different tastes. To me it's just perfect.
Thanks

#2155125 - 09/21/13 05:03 PM Re: Lots to ask... [Re: mbc007]
adultpianist Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hi
Strange isn't it how we all have different tastes. To me it's just perfect.
Thanks

sorry if I offended

#2155135 - 09/21/13 05:25 PM Re: Lots to ask... [Re: mbc007]
keystring Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
I understand that the Casio is not as solid as the Yamaha. I have a Yamaha.

#2155139 - 09/21/13 05:34 PM Re: Lots to ask... [Re: mbc007]
mbc007 Offline

No, no offence at all.
It really is strange how we all like different things.
Anyway, does anyone know any of those pieces?

#2155149 - 09/21/13 05:48 PM Re: Lots to ask... [Re: mbc007]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.

""

#2155266 - 09/21/13 09:56 PM Re: Lots to ask... [Re: mbc007]
Michael_99 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada Alberta
mbc007, I have read your post, here:

subject: Lots of questions

Hi all,

Many thanks all

Martin

__________________________________________________________________________________________

I love your subject line. Actually, I have a few questions for you to ask yourself. I am a beginner piano player, but I am almost twice your age.

When you say you used to play the organ as a kid, you probably have some memory of playing the organ. The questions to ask yourself are: Can you read music? Do you know the values of the notes being whole notes, half notes, quarter notes, etc. Do you know the names of the notes in the bass clef, treble clef, above and below the staff.

When you say you are excited, ask yourself what your are you excited about. Is it the sound of the music, the speed of the music. The reason I ask what you are excited about is important. If you like the sound of the music, you should go to a piano/music store and play a C major scale from middle C. on an acoutic piano and a digital piano because even with broken ears you can hear the difference between the sound of both the digital and the acoustic pianos. It is not good or bad, but they are different. Now about speed. Playing anything fast and well takes many years of dedication which will cost you absolutely nothing but spending time on the piano bench. If you love sitting on a piano bench each day for many years, you will do just fine.

I tried about 4 times to become a piano player and failed everytime. The reason I failed was because I had a job typing 8 hours a day and it didn't work for me. The minute I got sick and couldn't work, I was immediately able to play the piano a few minutes each day because I was weak, but I love playing the piano very, very, much and I still do and I am impoving in ability and in my energy, too.

Some people say they like this kind of music or that that kind of music. I am not like that. I love to play any music I can read and play. If someone says why don't you play this piece, I would do it in a minute - it is all about learning that drives me to the piano bench. .

Piano isn't that hard because I have had learning difficulties my entire life, and I have had no problems so far. If you are the kind of person that likes to do things many times always trying to do it well no matter how many times or how long it takes to do it right, you will enjoy learning to play the piano. That is all there is to piano other than listening to yourself play, because you have to listen to youself play so you know how to correct your sound and your smoothness of your playing.

I have 2 digitals and an acoustic piano. I think my digital are awesome and I play them and my acoustic piano, too. So if you are going to start out with a digital then that is great, but
I personally don't think the digitals are that different from each other, but maybe you will feel differently and you will find the particular digital you will like best. My stuff is Yam and they seem fine and are world famous so they stand behind their product as I am sure most companies, do, too.

So I wish you well, and you will do well because you say you have found a teacher and the teaher will help you reach your goals.

3S21FRL

#2155298 - 09/22/13 12:00 AM Re: Lots to ask... [Re: mbc007]
Whizbang Offline
500 Post Club Member

0. The piano clearly has a digital character to it, but that's maybe partially because I can see him playing a digital piano.

1. Timeframes don't work for the piano. There's an interplay between aptitude, teaching resources, and practice that ends up being different for each student. Also, when watching a performance, it's hard to see whether the performer is, say, lightly tossing off just one of hundreds of pieces in repertoire, faking over a chord structure, or has just a couple pieces that they've mastered.

Technical chops speaking, I don't see him doing anything that (my guess) 95% of diligent students could do within 10 years of study. And I don't know what his brain is doing.

2. Around 8:00, it's Stevie Wonder's "Isn't She Lovely"

Edited by Whizbang (09/22/13 12:01 AM)

#2155453 - 09/22/13 09:57 AM Re: Lots to ask... [Re: mbc007]
mbc007 Offline

Hi all.
Thanks for the responses.
I remained encouraged that, with the right approach and commitment, it seems possible to achieve a level of play I feared may be unattainable.
I'm normally a type that works hard at something - I tend to have a lot of patience - and with the right teacher I'm hoping I can get there.
I reackon I can find at least 30 mins per day practice time and will make sure I diligently perform what my teacher asks me to do.

Michael, yes I can read treble and cass clef and know the value of the notes. My trouble is that I've only ever played chords in the left hand - none of the cadence stuff or work that requires individual fingering in the left hand. Also, I've never had to be concerned with touch, sustain etc.

I'm looking forward to all that and know there's a ton of work ahead of me.

Thanks all

#2155472 - 09/22/13 10:59 AM Re: Lots to ask... [Re: mbc007]
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: not in Japan anymore
If you can afford the Yamaha 162, get it (as opposed to the 142). I highly recommend the Yamaha over the Casio.

I started with a digital (a Yamaha) I bought an acoustic upright a year later and then 8 years after that had to return to a (Yamaha) digital again (it's kind of hard to take a piano with you when move from Japan to the US!) I have access to a 140 and a 160 (the models that preceded 142 and 162) and the 160 is much better. From what I've read about the 142 and the 162 I believe the differences are the same. The speakers, touch, sound and pedaling are all better.

Good luck!

#2155772 - 09/22/13 08:57 PM Re: Lots to ask... [Re: mbc007]
earlofmar Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
The Ronan Keating song When You Say Nothing At All was in there at 3.16.

You will be surprised at just how fast you can progess in a year of dedicated study and practice.

#2155975 - 09/23/13 05:54 AM Re: Lots to ask... [Re: earlofmar]
mbc007 Offline

Thanks All,

I have to say, i cannot wait to get started on the lessons.

I feared it was going to be a long hard road to getting anywhere with it it seems with a dedicated practice regime that progress will be made!

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
132 registered (aesop, amv256, anamnesis, *windowlicker*, anotherscott, 38 invisible), 1484 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75907 Members
42 Forums
156873 Topics
2305057 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Baldwin BJ124; Are Baldwins still quality?
by Benn
08/22/14 07:30 PM
Tuning levers
by AaronM
08/22/14 07:17 PM
Buying a Piano
by boppy75
08/22/14 06:24 PM
Midi file format on Roland Piano Partner App
by Banzai_Ed
08/22/14 05:58 PM
Imperial Concert 61 Phase Piano
by DanPianjo
08/22/14 05:34 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission