2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (AlkansBookcase, cmoody31, dh371, Fried Chicken, 20/20 Vision, admodios, clothearednincompo, crab89, 6 invisible), 1,223 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2154780 09/20/13 10:35 PM
E
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
E
I am doing a PTG chapter program next month on agraffes. I have a material scientist who will be presenting the issue regarding how the material responds to use.

I have a bad cold so my energy is very low and I am hoping someone will know what the current alloy is in say KLINKE, Yamaha, etc.
I have tried communicating directly with KLINKE and they just brush me off.

I know during the 1970's and early 80's NY Steinway used Phosphor Bronze which don't sound all that good.
Thanks!

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
McPhail used agraffes that had a piece of wire that contacted the string after it went through the hole. You could change the wire to demonstrate the differences, if you could find a McPhail grand.

Semipro Tech
D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Ed McMorrow, RPT
I am doing a PTG chapter program next month on agraffes. I have a material scientist who will be presenting the issue regarding how the material responds to use.

I have a bad cold so my energy is very low and I am hoping someone will know what the current alloy is in say KLINKE, Yamaha, etc.
I have tried communicating directly with KLINKE and they just brush me off.

I know during the 1970's and early 80's NY Steinway used Phosphor Bronze which don't sound all that good.
Thanks!

Don't take it personally. I've tried several times both as R&D Director at Baldwin and as a consultant to various companies -- all customers of Klinke -- to get this information and we have been treated just the same.

As near as I can tell through comparison testing it is C36000 free machining brass. If it is not exactly that alloy it is very close. Can't say what it might have been in the past.

ddf

Last edited by Del; 09/21/13 10:41 AM.

Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Research, Design & Manufacturing Consultant
ddfandrich@gmail.com
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon
P

Gold Supporter until November 11 2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until November 11 2014
1000 Post Club Member
P
Hello Mr. McMorrow,
Interesting talk, I would be interested in seeing the slides if they become available.

Anyhow, forgive me for covering the perhaps obvious, but have you asked the materials scientist you are working with to examine one? Somebody in that line of work should be able to get you pretty far with identifying such agraffe material if you supply one.

If time was not of the essence, I would volunteer this.

Hopefully you will get the information you seek without any testing though.

Best wishes-

phacke

Steinway YM (1933)
...Working on:
J. S. Bach, Toccata (G minor) BWV 915
(and trying not to forget the other stuff I know)
E
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
E
Thanks Del. Good to know KLINKE'S attitude is standard operating procedure. They would not even tell me what their minimum order size is. Which in the US would be considered restraint of trade.

Phacke, the materials scientist is retired, so he no longer has access to a lab.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
C36000 is very common. It used to be widely used in faucets and other plumbing fixtures, but because it has lead in it, I believe it is not longer used for those purposes. It's not particularly hard, nor does it have particularly high tensile strength, but it sure machines well.

Roy123 #2155252 09/21/13 09:20 PM
D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Roy123
C36000 is very common. It used to be widely used in faucets and other plumbing fixtures, but because it has lead in it, I believe it is not longer used for those purposes. It's not particularly hard, nor does it have particularly high tensile strength, but it sure machines well.

I'm going by a not always reliable memory here. I visited Cornwall-Patterson some years back (Baldwin days) and that -- or, as I say, something similar -- was what was being used. It was off-the-shelf stuff. Whatever they could get drawn to the right diameter and that would machine very easily and quickly. When attacked with a file and/or a hacksaw blade the material Klinke uses feels the same. And when overstressed it breaks the same. It could be some different alloy but I rather doubt it.

ddf

Last edited by Del; 09/21/13 09:26 PM.

Delwin D Fandrich
ddfandrich@gmail.com

D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Ed McMorrow, RPT
Thanks Del. Good to know KLINKE'S attitude is standard operating procedure. They would not even tell me what their minimum order size is. Which in the US would be considered restraint of trade.

Oh, yes, it is SOP. And I was working with some of their biggest customers. Go figure.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich
ddfandrich@gmail.com

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission