Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2156655 - 09/24/13 05:15 AM Re: At what level were you when you first started teaching? [Re: dumdumdiddle]
Gary D. Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: South Florida
Originally Posted By: dumdumdiddle
Originally Posted By: Gary D.
Originally Posted By: dumdumdiddle
I started teaching at age 15 under the supervision of my piano teacher; I was playing Kuhlau, Bach Inventions, beginning Mozart sonatas...

I agree with a previous poster who listed enthusiasm for music and teaching as almost more important than the level of repertoire they can play. There are people with advanced degrees who are not good teachers.

One main quality I would look for in a teacher is this: Is he/she always in 'learning mode'? Did they stop learning once they attained that degree? Or do they keep up with the latest trends and info about methods, piano pedagogy, and learning styles? Do they attend music teacher conventions, master classes, lectures, workshops? Do they perform at their church or other venue? Are they excited about music and know how to convey that excitement to a child?

There are two sides to keeping up with trends and info, because at any given time there are always "Piano in a Flash" guys out there, hawking their flim-flam as if they are presenting wonderful new ideas instead of gimmicks.

Most new ideas - not all of them - are recycled old ideas that never worked in the first place.

I have no idea what you mean by 'piano in a flash guys'... sounds like something I'd see on an infomercial, which is not at all what I was talking about.

http://www.amazon.com/Play-Piano-Flash-Full-Video/dp/B00009A8ZX

Check it out, then maybe you will get what I was talking about. This guy was and is peddling nothing new, but I'm sure he makes as much money as all of us here combined multiplied by some huge factor.

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#2157198 - 09/25/13 01:22 AM Re: At what level were you when you first started teaching? [Re: Rimshot609]
Minniemay Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: CA
I learned to teach in a heavily supervised training program with lectures and teaching demonstrations from a master teacher every week. He would teach a group lesson, then a private lesson with a child from the group (Monday group, Wednesday private). On Thursday and Friday, we taught the private lessons for the rest of the children in the group. He either sat in on the lessons or reviewed a tape of the lesson. We had to turn in lesson plans and lesson reports weekly and he commented on each.

By the time I graduated, I had been teaching for four years and had gone from teaching two students the first year to 12 students and a group my 4th year. That program laid the foundation for the teacher I am today. Too bad not everyone has that opportunity. I am eternally grateful for it.

#2157201 - 09/25/13 01:27 AM Re: At what level were you when you first started teaching? [Re: Rimshot609]
Beth_Frances Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
Wow, that sounds amazing!!! My uni pedagogy courses weren't ANYTHING like that. They didn't see me teach even one lesson. All they did was talk, and the ideas they were spouting were pretty outdated. I would have loved a pedagogy course like that.

http://www.bookdepository.com/?a_aid=75318 (great range of piano music, with free shipping to 90 countries)

#2157336 - 09/25/13 09:22 AM Re: At what level were you when you first started teaching? [Re: Rimshot609]
Peter K. Mose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
Minnie, that sounds like a splendid apprenticeship program: you are a rare teacher to have had such training. I'm curious to know whether you are running your own studio in similar twice-a-week-lessons format (one day group lesson and another day private lesson)?

It's a tough sell for most families.

Edited by Peter K. Mose (09/25/13 09:23 AM)

#2157920 - 09/26/13 09:44 AM Re: At what level were you when you first started teaching? [Re: Rimshot609]
Minniemay Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: CA
My current student enrollment is too broad in level to have a group lesson that serves as the main lesson. I do have group lessons once a month and that seems to work well.

#2158445 - 09/27/13 07:29 AM Re: At what level were you when you first started teaching? [Re: Rimshot609]
ymapazagain Offline

Loc: Hobart, Australia
I started teaching the piano and clarinet when I was 14 and wanted money to take dancing classes. I taught some of my friends and a few children of family friends and I think I only charged about $8 a lesson. I was at a late intermediate stage of playing. I'm sure if I were able to watch my 14 years old self teaching I would be absolutely appalled! But I can't have got it all wrong because a few of my students took exams and did well, getting As and Bs (Distinctions and Merits). Would I ever send my own children to a teacher like 14 year old me? No way. But I'm glad that someone did, because without that I wouldn't have reached the point where I am now where I can confidently say, after many more years of experience, that I'm a good teacher.

#2158564 - 09/27/13 11:47 AM Re: At what level were you when you first started teaching? [Re: Gary D.]
nyke Offline

[quote=Gary D.)I am pushing back against the assumption that five years are needed to be a good teacher, and that credentials are anything more than one factor - at most. [/quote]

Can you explain more about your thoughts towards credentials. I have my own philosophy towards that as well!
http://facebook.com/MusicAcademyAdvantage
Twitter Follow: @MusicAcademyAdv

#2167896 - 10/17/13 10:51 PM Re: At what level were you when you first started teaching? [Re: Rimshot609]
missbelle Offline

Loc: USA
In college, we had to teach a non-music student (another college student) and mine was a theatre major so lots of drama and no-shows.
But then we were given students that were kids, under age 10, and two or three times a semester, we observed each other giving a lesson, and took notes.

That was wonderful!

One comment my teacher made in my highly organized binder was, "I wish you could play as well as you can explain!"

(This was on rather advanced stuff, and I did take more lessons later as a married mom, to play catch-up, and prepare to be a teacher for reals)

I accompanied a lot, and got my break subbing for a teacher at a school on maternity leave. I was also playing for chapel, and now consider myself a teacher who shares piano.

Because the school arranges everything, parents have yet to ask for my resume. I accompanied violin students last year, and often play duets/accompaniments with my students.

But, as my sig says, I am "learning as I teach."

Finding this forum was a blessing.

I have yet to start a year without a new idea- whether it is a parent info sheet, new articles to share, a cool way to add music history, watching example videos of lesson teaching (hearkening back to watching my classmates back then on Saturday mornings) making up my own worksheets, arranging simple pieces by request for a few students, visiting music stores and estate sales for musical discoveries...
basically, the year I have nothing new to learn and give will be the year I need a sabbatical.

My son is high school level all-state jazz band member, and somehow that gives me street cred.

I know a a guy with a doctorate in music who lives and breathes a certain composer, and teaches only to make money to travel to his performances. He is a phenomenal pianist, but is not a good teacher until a student has proved they are dedicated- can write and play scales, understand chord structure, sight reads well, etc...

He does NOT use an assignment notebook and bans parents from lessons. he walks around with a cup of coffee in his hand and mutters to the student. He expects them to WORK during lessons, and lets them make the marks and remember on their what to work on.

But a beginner with this "Billy Goat Gruff?" No way. And he admits it.

Me? I give stickers and we march out rhythms and I allow parents in. I use colored pencils and provide extra pages, including music games, and I get hugs in the hallway.

Each teacher has their own methods, even if using the same books.

I have two advanced boys that I have to play it more serious with. One had a previous teacher that let him speed up for the harder passages, so he thought playing faster meant better. I have had him work in "Super Slo Mode" and he is learning that he still has stuff to learn!

He was great at memorizing, and had a good repertoire, but could not tell me WHY he was doing something, or WHAT it is called. So I have pulled out old unused theory books found at sales and we have been working. He enjoys the challenge, and is eagerly working now on just this week assigned "The Charlie Brown Christmas song"- NOT a simplified version.

But what is MY level? I sight read the Christmas song. I can hand write the circle of fifths, and explain it. I accompanied a college choir. I am still learning, but I am not signed up for any competitions. I have retained several students. They are happy, progressing, and enjoying learning.

That is not so concrete a thing to measure.

Anyway, it is almost my bedtime and I have rambled on way way too much.

Thanks for your time!

Good night!

#2167929 - 10/18/13 12:31 AM Re: At what level were you when you first started teaching? [Re: Rimshot609]
Rebecca Piano Offline

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Hi Rimshot, I'm in my third year and I have not yet attained my formal qualifications... but to be totally objective, I would send my children to an undergraduate providing that they are good teachers.

Let me give a you a few case studies - my first singing teacher wasn't any good and he was doing a music degree (same institution that I go to), he never prepared for lessons, he always ran out of things to teach, he knew nothing about classical repertoire (when I was majorly interested in classical repertoire) and he never really cared for the holistic musician (theory and musicianship were aspects that were never touched on in his lessons).

My first piano teacher - she had a Bachelor of Music in Music Education and Piano Performance at the same institution that I go to (I go to a place that is known to be extremely elite). She was terrible.

My third singing teacher - had a B Mus Ed, Dip Mus, MCA and PhD, all in music and singing and piano - also a bad teacher, bad teacher with lots of degrees tacked on his name!

Degrees don't mean everything. I know a great teacher who has not yet attained her formal piano qualifications but she reads about pedagogy in her spare time, she really, really cares about her students, she gives them extra time and she is very dedicated. I know another guy, double major in Music and Engineering, he has not yet gotten his formal qualifications but he is a great teacher, he is very upfront and honest with his students and he does a lot of reading and preparing in his spare time.

My former boss - did an arts degree with a major in music and English... and after she did her degree, she didn't upgrade her qualifications, she just stopped there.

I'm working towards a degree... I'm in my third year so I am 3/4 through my music degree. I have about four years of experience under my belt and I know that there is a lot more that I could learn. I am aware that there are so many different ways to learn, so many different approaches, so many different aspects that I still need to learn and apply to my own work. I spend a lot of time reading about learning and music education, and I take courses on technique and music education. I go and listen to music lectures in my own time, I read and prepare and plan for lessons ... and most of all, I have my piano teacher's backing - he's there to help me, to answer my questions, to give me advice or a second opinion. I've had my share of crappy qualified teachers and I don't want to repeat the same mistakes that they made.

I think sometimes that's the other problem with degrees - we stop learning after that, no professional development workshops, no conferences, no masterclasses, no piano lessons - I think a good teacher strives to apply what s/he learned every day, and to learn something new, to keep knowledge fresh and exciting.
http://www.pianolessonswithrebecca.com/

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
174 registered (accordeur, Almaviva, 52 invisible), 1778 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74230 Members
42 Forums
153553 Topics
2250415 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
OT: John Passion
by wimpiano
04/18/14 04:33 PM
3/4 time for 6/8 time comping patterns?
by Ben Ther
04/18/14 04:33 PM
Shanks with parallel wood grain
by JohnSprung
04/18/14 04:15 PM
Pinblocks & bridges... How long do they last?
by Piano Practice
04/18/14 03:58 PM
Spinoff: What do we think of "technique seminars"?
by TwoSnowflakes
04/18/14 02:46 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission