Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2155561 - 09/22/13 02:33 PM Found a teacher I will be able to afford!!!
BillTheSlink Offline

Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
I just had to share the good news. I have been trying to teach myself since I am a very poor boy fighting a disability case and have almost no money. I don't have a piano anymore since my cat ruined my Casio by going wee-wee on it. Now she lives in the basement. I am just waiting until December when my family gives me my Christmas money as gifts and Musician's Friend has their 15 month same as cash financing deal.

Anyway I started a little handmade rosary business selling on ebay to both have a little money and fund the purchase of parts and postage for the rosaries I make to send to the mission fields. For the work I put in there isn't much money in it, and I can only sit and do it a couple of times a day for a couple of hours because of a blood clotting disorder, but anyway it leaves me with about $30 dollars a week in extra cash which is a big help.

Anyway I had been searching Craigslist for a teacher just dreaming that somehow, someday after I win my disability case I could afford one. Prices in my area are $35.00 per half-hour and I was just so upset. Then all of the sudden an ad appeared the other day from a teacher way south of town out in the sticks, but because of the way the highway runs from my house would only be a 20 min. trip. SHE ONLY CHARGES $25.00 PER HOUR!!! Now, I was thinking this was too good to be true and maybe she wasn't a good teacher, or she would not teach the style of music I wanted, or we wouldn't be a good fit, etc. We exchanged emails and then I called her up and low and behold it is because of the fact she teaches what I want to learn (church hymns, non-classical, how to play with style from a fake book, how to improvise etc.) that she wasn't charging as much as the classically trained teachers in town. She is just a little old lady who plays for her church and teaches on the side under the table for extra cash like in my business. We hit it off on the phone instantly. The only thing I don't like is she comes to you. She doesn't have a studio. That means I am really going to have to straighten this place up before I start. Since I am disabled and it's just me and Grandma the house is really too much for us and I am afraid it's a wreck. Walls need to be washed, there's junk everywhere since we can't run down to the basement every time we need something, it hasn't been painted in 20 years and we smoke, etc. I would have much rather went to her, but if it's the only way I can have lessons I will suffer it out someway.

She comes with excellent references and the students of hers I have contacted are either playing in churches now or in bands for fun and one student of her's I exchanged emails with she started with 15 years ago when he was a teenager is now playing in a country club steady as his full time job.

Man I can't wait until December. She said since I was disabled and could work with her any time of day she will have a slot open for me. I am just so happy I could pee myself.
Currently I am without a piano, but when I get mine back I will be working on "The Complete Piano Player", as well as Neely's "How to Play from a Fake Book. I am spending my time working on theory and learning how to construct chords currently.

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2155569 - 09/22/13 02:47 PM Re: Found a teacher I will be able to afford!!! [Re: BillTheSlink]
Morodiene Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
What about taking lessons at a church? If you go to a church, perhaps they'd let you use it for free for the half hour as long as you schedule the lessons during their normal business hours. I doubt the teacher would mind since either way she's got to drive to you.

The other option is at her church, which she should be able to use for free since she's the accompanist there.

Hope it works out!
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2155614 - 09/22/13 04:04 PM Re: Found a teacher I will be able to afford!!! [Re: Morodiene]
adultpianist Offline
500 Post Club Member

I was going to ask if the OP belongs to a church because if so can members of the church help with painting the house? If you are short of money then they could donate a few cans of paint?. Here in England if you are in your kind of situation struggling they have social workers who will help. Sorry I am deviating a bit but good luck with the piano lessons. Let us know how you get on.

#2155700 - 09/22/13 06:38 PM Re: Found a teacher I will be able to afford!!! [Re: BillTheSlink]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
great news indeed, having a teacher is such a benefit

#2155744 - 09/22/13 07:58 PM Re: Found a teacher I will be able to afford!!! [Re: BillTheSlink]
PaperClip Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Amsterdam, Holland
awww... poor kitty frown

Playing since May 02 2009

#2155984 - 09/23/13 06:08 AM Re: Found a teacher I will be able to afford!!! [Re: adultpianist]
BillTheSlink Offline

Thanks for the idea, and yes my parish would do that for me, but to be honest I am more concerned with dust, clutter, and a really good cleaning than anything else. It's OK to be poor, but when people think you're a dirty slob then that's a different story. I will just have to bear down and do a little each day until I give out. It just got away from us because we know we can't do much so we gave up trying.
Currently I am without a piano, but when I get mine back I will be working on "The Complete Piano Player", as well as Neely's "How to Play from a Fake Book. I am spending my time working on theory and learning how to construct chords currently.

#2155986 - 09/23/13 06:21 AM Re: Found a teacher I will be able to afford!!! [Re: PaperClip]
BillTheSlink Offline

Originally Posted By: PaperClip
awww... poor kitty frown

It was her choice, not mine. Originally when I found what happened after taking time off from piano because I had carpel tunnel and ulnar nerve entrapment I was going to do her serious harm, as in taking her out on the porch with the pistol and going bang. Somehow she sensed it and ran to the basement when Grandma opened the door to the basement. I got over my hostilities quickly, but apparently she likes it down there. It wasn't until a couple of weeks ago that she would let you see her. I guess for a cat what's not to love about an unfinished basement? She's got plenty of things to climb on, hid under, bugs to catch, even the occasional mouse I bet, not to mention the killed snake I found. I think she's living her style of life and living it to the fullest. She never was a people cat. She was a stray and just hung out around the house. She really wouldn't let you pet her or anything. She must be getting plenty of exercise because she went from a diet that we couldn't believe she wasn't starving on upstairs to eating like a horse in the basement. I think she is truly happy now and I am glad.

#2156002 - 09/23/13 07:29 AM Re: Found a teacher I will be able to afford!!! [Re: BillTheSlink]
adultpianist Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: BillTheSlink
Thanks for the idea, and yes my parish would do that for me, but to be honest I am more concerned with dust, clutter, and a really good cleaning than anything else. It's OK to be poor, but when people think you're a dirty slob then that's a different story. I will just have to bear down and do a little each day until I give out. It just got away from us because we know we can't do much so we gave up trying.

But the parish would come and clean

#2156021 - 09/23/13 08:25 AM Re: Found a teacher I will be able to afford!!! [Re: BillTheSlink]
Morodiene Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
If I may make a recommendation, there is this website that helps you get started on cleaning up and keeping clean. It's a very slow easy process (over 30 days) with a new task each day. And it's not about perfectionism, which I love: www.flylady.net
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2156052 - 09/23/13 09:31 AM Re: Found a teacher I will be able to afford!!! [Re: Morodiene]
adultpianist Offline
500 Post Club Member

If you do what I do and clean a little bit every day then it keeps the dust at bay and you dont end up spending weeks cleaning a backlog of dust

#2156056 - 09/23/13 09:37 AM Re: Found a teacher I will be able to afford!!! [Re: Morodiene]
griffin2417 Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Originally Posted By: Morodiene
If I may make a recommendation, there is this website that helps you get started on cleaning up and keeping clean. It's a very slow easy process (over 30 days) with a new task each day. And it's not about perfectionism, which I love: www.flylady.net

I just checked this out Morodiene. There are some great ideas that I'm going to try out. Thanks!

PS: Now, maybe I'll be able to free up even more time to finish listening to the Grieg recitals! smile

#2156093 - 09/23/13 11:11 AM Re: Found a teacher I will be able to afford!!! [Re: Morodiene]
BillTheSlink Offline

Originally Posted By: Morodiene

Thank you so much! Truthfully I didn't know where to begin, but I can handle "Day 1: Clean Your Sink". I looked around at the site and I can do this. Since it will be December or January before my first lesson the place should be in good shape by then. My disabilities combined with the fact I just never was taught how to clean left me in the dark. Now I got a step by step cleaning instructor too. I can't wait until the end of the 30 days and this place is decluttered then I can get down to scrubbing an hour or so each day. Thanks so much. laugh yippie

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
121 registered (ajames, accordeur, 36251, AmateurBob, 35 invisible), 1592 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75588 Members
42 Forums
156289 Topics
2295330 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Shostakovich and Prokofiev
by Verbum mirabilis
Today at 06:01 PM
Used piano buying choices
by BrianDX
Today at 05:55 PM
You & Your Piano
by DancerJ
Today at 05:12 PM
Fun etudes?
by chasingrainbows
Today at 04:41 PM
Music competitions are rife with corruption says JLWebber
by pianoloverus
Today at 02:51 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission