Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2155957 - 09/23/13 04:16 AM GRIEG LYRIC PIECES OPUS 71 - PART 10 of 10
Anne H Offline

Loc: New Orleans
OPUS 71:

I personally had a horrible time with this piece and this recital, but the saving grace of the whole thing was that I got to know all of you better. It's made what could have been a miserable experience into a fun one.

I'm completely amazed at how dedicated people are to their piano routines and these recitals. Despite nasty work schedules, the flu and life in general we've all done this together, which is an amazing achievement. I'm so proud to be part of this community.

Without further ado, let's hear some more about Grieg:

GRIEG’S LEGACY:

Grieg was born into a musical tradition which looked to Denmark. But as a young man, on meeting those committed to indigenous Norwegian music, he said ‘Suddenly a mist fell from my eyes, and I knew the way I had to take’.
Although Grieg’s unique contribution is as a composer, his work was not confined to his compositions. As a 23 year old, he founded a society to promote Scandinavian music called Euterpe. He also launched a project for a Norwegian academy of music – was one of the founders of the Norwegian Nationalist school of Music. Although he strongly supported the folk culture of his native land, he was also a well -educated performer on the European circuit, who contributed to foreign musical journals, and appreciated musical excellence outside Norway. Mindful of this, he worked to raise standards of performance and criticism in Norway, promoting the Norwegian Music Festival of 1898, featuring the Amsterdam Concertgebouw orchestra, and helped found the Christiania (Oslo) Musikforening, to promote orchestral music.

But today he lives on mostly through his music: chiefly his songs (140+), piano compositions (150+), the piano concerto, Peer Gynt, the Holberg suite and his Lyric Pieces. ‘The secret of his world fame is the ability to create new piano music that could be played by amateurs all over the world’. His music has a directness which translates well across national boundaries. ‘It is ‘pure, charming, graceful, lyrical and emotionally passionate’. He gave Norwegian music a new lease of life, fostering cultural growth, and brought Norwegian folk influences to an international audience, and said: ‘The traditional way of life of the Norwegian people, together with Norway’s legends, Norway’s history, and Norway’s natural scenery stamped itself on my creative impulse from my earliest years’

Today, his villa Troldhaugen is a museum, and in the concert hall specially built nearby, there are annual festivals and regular piano competitions, and many Grieg societies across the world.

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2155958 - 09/23/13 04:18 AM Re: GRIEG LYRIC PIECES OPUS 71 - PART 10 of 10 [Re: Anne H]
Anne H Offline

Opus 71 No 1: Once upon a time (Performed by AnneH)

I picked this piece because I joined the recital late and it seemed like an easier choice - I will definitely never make that mistake again! It turns out the repetition also made it less interesting to me as a player and I basically shelved it after learning it instead of recording it. Cut to right before the recital, when I tried to whip it up to speed and record it but really struggled in spite of the lack of technical difficulties. It turns out I had the flu, which I hope explains the less than stellar nature of my recording.

This piece will live on in my household as the piece that no one wants to hear again. Even my dog howls when he hears the opening notes!

Here it is, with apologies to Grieg and my poor doggy:

Edited by Anne H (09/23/13 04:19 AM)

#2155959 - 09/23/13 04:20 AM Re: GRIEG LYRIC PIECES OPUS 71 - PART 10 of 10 [Re: Anne H]
Anne H Offline

Opus 71 No 2: Summer Evening (Performed by FarmGirl)

This one needs more work too but it's better than Puck. I was able to record it at one try a week ago before going to NY. I now can play it faster but don't want to put me through the recording process any more. Will do it later with Puck. I learned this one fairly quickly compared with Puck. I think it's because it's my kind of music. It kind of reminds me of the short and intensely beautiful summer I experienced in Sweden (sorry, I have never been to Norway, Sweden is closest I can get to Grieg's country). It was like all the plants and creatures getting into frenzy. Flowers are blooming, bees are working hard and humans are getting crazy for their Mid Summer Festival. This is a good piece for anyone would like to learn a short and mellow piece for read & play. Would be suitable for both Church and Bar lounges.

#2155960 - 09/23/13 04:22 AM Re: GRIEG LYRIC PIECES OPUS 71 - PART 10 of 10 [Re: Anne H]
Anne H Offline

Opus 71 No 3: Puck (Performed by FarmGirl)
It's time to submit. I am really not proud of Puck at all. It should be 178 for half note and mine is around 120 or a fraction less. I took this on Saturday night 2AM after a BBQ party at my house. I worked on it for almost 10 days using half of my practice time, so I spent almost 5 hours and I am not there yet! My talented friends (Oh yeah, I have a few) are like, oh, we did it when we were in the elementary school. Two of them actually offered to record it for me. I want you to know this is at least genuinely mine (LOL). I still do not have speed or accuracy. Puck is a mythical creature who is mischievous and full of fun. I did not get there yet. It was not fun to keep getting tripped by it. Rather I felt like getting laughed at by this Puck guy. He was saying "You should've practiced, ha ha ha!". I know This is what happens to a last minute person like me. I will continue to work on this and post a better version later in the forum.

#2155961 - 09/23/13 04:23 AM Re: GRIEG LYRIC PIECES OPUS 71 - PART 10 of 10 [Re: Anne H]
Anne H Offline

Opus 71 No 4: Peace of the Woods (Performed by Valencia)

This very beautiful, haunting piece was a real challenge for me, mainly because of the key (B major (5 sharps)) and the constant key changes. For some reason I couldn’t get the notes into my head and so had to watch the score for dear life or I’d surely bungle it. This may have been the only recording I got through without jarring mistakes—you will hear I am playing slowly and carefully so as to be sure to hit the right notes--too much so in places as it makes the tempo very uneven. Again, this piece is a work-in-progress.

That run down of notes you hear at about 2min 30s is played all on the black notes coming down the piano…harder than it sounds to keep it even and not slip! And the build-up into that part was one of the most frustrating parts to play because I could not keep my coordination and kept getting turned around.

There are breathtaking silences and harmonies in this piece. Unfortunately my playing does not do it justice. (nor does the piano).

I recorded this piece on a digital piano at my mum’s house while I was visiting family this summer, so it is not the piano I usually record on. I think the quality of the recording is better compared to the digital piano I have here, which is partly why I decided to use this particular recording for the recital.

The pictures were taken by the family members of a friend at the Shuswap lake in British Columbia. (Those marked “T Bates” were taken by Tonia Bates). I’ve never been to the Shuswap but it looks beautiful. There are two pictures in the video that are not from BC but are from the Yukon. (As I didn’t have enough) Maybe you can guess which ones they are!

#2155962 - 09/23/13 04:25 AM Re: GRIEG LYRIC PIECES OPUS 71 - PART 10 of 10 [Re: Anne H]
Anne H Offline

Opus 71 No 5: Halling (Performed by Morodiene)

Here is Op 71 No. 5, Halling, also known as the Bane of my Existence in Recent Times, or "BERT". I think that sounds like some kind of gastrointestinal disease or sickness, so I think it a suitable name.

This was one of the first pieces I chose when the announcement for this recital came out. Despite having so much time to learn it, it's been quite a difficult piece to play well. I'm not happy with the recording, but trust me when I say this was the best out of at least 50 attempts.

I still think it's a cute song, but the scab on my middle finger from doing the glissandos and the frustration of not being able to play it twice through without major mishaps has probably earned this piece a comfortable spot on my shelf for a while. Perhaps buried beneath some Ginastera and Granados. (No, not because my music is alphabetical, those two composers have also earned the right to collect dust for a while).

Without further ado, here it is:

#2155963 - 09/23/13 04:26 AM Re: GRIEG LYRIC PIECES OPUS 71 - PART 10 of 10 [Re: Anne H]
Anne H Offline

Opus 71 No 6: Gone (Performed by Keystring)

I chose this piece because I thought I could handle it, and the music spoke to me. "Gone" It is bittersweet. A friend from the region told me that in their music, there is winter in thoughts of summer, and summer in thoughts of winter. That which is "gone" is also precious with good memories; harsh things also go with time. The photo is one of the many fossils my children brought home as youngsters, now in a garden that is in the autumn season.

The piece was not as easy as it seemed. The notes were easy, but not what to do with them. It kept slipping past me. This recording was supposed to be a sketch. I never got to "finish" it. But maybe it is in fact finished enough. I learned a lot by tackling it.

I'd like to thank the people who helped me, and encouraged me.

#2155964 - 09/23/13 04:27 AM Re: GRIEG LYRIC PIECES OPUS 71 - PART 10 of 10 [Re: Anne H]
Anne H Offline

Opus 71 No 7: Remembrances (Performed by Dynamobt)

"Remembrances, this final piece of the Grieg Lyric Pieces, is fairly simple to learn, but quite difficult to play well. I struggled with keeping the underlying chords quiet. I don’t know that I succeeded to the degree I would have liked. But, I reached a point where I played well when not recording. Extra tension crept in during recording that I don’t think I could ever quite master. The real key to the piece is the singing melody played by the little finger of the right hand. I was pleased the stamina and control in my little finger was up to this piece. I do think I pulled off that singing melody.

It’s a somewhat obtuse melody that really didn’t shine until I picked up the tempo to play it a little faster than marked. I had initially submitted a recording of it much slower. Then, after learning a second Grieg piece, a gained some additional insight to this work. So, I recorded it for this submission that you hear today. I hope it is a fitting end to what is sure to be a very enjoyable themed recital."

#2156820 - 09/24/13 12:33 PM Re: GRIEG LYRIC PIECES OPUS 71 - PART 10 of 10 [Re: Anne H]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Well, we had a few technical difficulties - but here we are! The final Opus!

Congratulations to all the performers!

Happy Listening!

#2156859 - 09/24/13 01:49 PM Re: GRIEG LYRIC PIECES OPUS 71 - PART 10 of 10 [Re: casinitaly]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
1 AnneH IO liked that piece; it had a dour grandeur to it and also a repeating melody. Nothing wrong with that when the piece is complicated enough . . .Splendid work!

2 Farmgirl A relaxing tune with one or two twists along the road . . . A couple of nice sounding jazz chords in there too! Enjoyed greatly!

3 Farmgirl The tempo of some piecers is mental; you can play them slower and they`ll sound as good or better. Yours was melodic and playful at that speed. 5 hours practicing? Good going indeed!

4 Valencia Another complex offering from Grieg; nature clips go well with it. I shouldn`t worry if I was you; you painted a lovely picture on the piano . .

5 Morodiene You skip through this well; a lively pie3ce with some bold LH playing and glissandos . . . .executed in a professional manner. You reverb has a wet feel to ir and rings nicely.

6 Keystring Good strongly expressive playing; the composer wasn`t a happy bubby at this stage of his life methinks , , You portrayed that, with a tinge of regret thrown in . . .I guess that can be taken two ways lol!

7 Dynamobt A wistful note to finish on , , , , well done on this; the melody indeed sung. Or is it "sang?"

Here`s to the next time . . . . .

Edited by peterws (09/24/13 01:51 PM)

""

#2156873 - 09/24/13 02:17 PM Re: GRIEG LYRIC PIECES OPUS 71 - PART 10 of 10 [Re: Anne H]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Anne H, FarmGirl, keystring - what a nice variety of pieces - from lively to almost chorale-like. I enjoyed them.

Cathy

#2156892 - 09/24/13 03:11 PM Re: GRIEG LYRIC PIECES OPUS 71 - PART 10 of 10 [Re: Anne H]
Morodiene Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
71/1, Once upon a time (Performed by AnneH) : I know what you mean about "the piece that no one in the house wants to hear again" - that is exactly how my husband feels about the Halling in this Opus. Honestly, I feel that is more just the curse of being a pianist or living with one, than the fault of Grieg. I love this piece, and I think perhaps if you had a chance to try another of his Lyric Pieces you may feel differently. Having played several of his pieces I feel I really got to know Grieg a bit better and was able to understand what he was getting at. Anyways, thank you for going through the "pain" of this piece, I enjoyed listening!

71/2, Summer Evening (Performed by FarmGirl): Very nicely played! I wish the volume were up a bit higher, but I loved how you played those descending 16ths. I like the sensitivity you gave this piece.

71/3, Puck (Performed by FarmGirl): I think you have a good start here, I just recommend some very slow practice and when you are ready to increase the tempo, try to not let that tension creep in. I look forward to hearing what you can do with this - it is off to a great start!

71/4, Peace of the Woods (Performed by Valencia): I love the harmonies here and the gentle accompaniment, and the grace notes are a very cool way to breaking up the repeated 8th note rhythm. Nice stretto and cadenza!! Lovely pictures, and I do like the sound of this digital better than the other - when will you be getting that grand? Your playing deserves it! I'm in love with the ending, for that alone I think I'll have to learn this. smile

71/5, Halling (Performed by Morodiene): Nothing to say here. Please move along.

71/6, Gone (Performed by Keystring): A moving performance of this piece, and the idea of what is gone definitely carries through in your playing. I know you had a rough time when it came to doing an "official" recording, but I really enjoyed what you did. This piece sticks in my head, perhaps because it's so enigmatic and pervasive. Given that I think professionals have a hard time knowing with to do with this piece, you should be proud of what you've accomplished!

71/7, Remembrances (Performed by Dynamobt): Interesting how this is almost the same melody as the first Lyric Piece he wrote. Did Grieg know this would be the last of these? Was he looking back, rethinking that old melody from 30 something years ago, now as a composer who's traveled all over Europe and learned all sorts of things from the other musicians he worked with? A beautiful, nostalgic, reflective piece to end with. Thanks for playing!
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2156894 - 09/24/13 03:17 PM Re: GRIEG LYRIC PIECES OPUS 71 - PART 10 of 10 [Re: Anne H]
dynamobt Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NH
Grieg Lyric Pieces Opus 71
Opus 71 No 1: Once upon a time (Performed by AnneH)
I’m not familiar with many of these pieces, but this is one I recognize. You do a fine job with this. Sure it could be better. None of us are ever satisfied with our results. Next time, record early and often!!! Thanks for being the Opled for us!

Opus 71 No 2: Summer Evening (Performed by FarmGirl)
I like this very much. Don’t know if it’s the right tempo or not, but I liked how you played it. The listener is kind floating along in the breezes. Very nice job!!

Opus 71 No 3: Puck (Performed by FarmGirl)
Not ever having heard this faster, this sounds fast enough to capture the lively joyful nature of Puck. I offer you the same words as I did AnneH. Record early and often!! Your personal complaints aside, you did a fine job!!

Opus 71 No 4: Peace of the Woods (Performed by Valencia)
This is truly peaceful and your playing very mellow and enjoyable because I found my mind wandering as I watched your pictures scroll by. I think you reflected the mood of the piece very well in your playing. Very pretty. Nice job!!

OK, so the acrobat took a few tumbles. Who wouldn’t??!!!! I think your acrobatic fingers have earned their rest. Hope you didn’t run out of Band Aids during practice. You have taken on more than your fair share of nightmares in this recital, Erin!! I salute you!!!!!!!

Opus 71 No 6: Gone (Performed by Keystring)
A piece I looked at early on in the recital. Yes, because it looked easy. I see it’s not. It’s very hard to hold something together that doesn’t have a singing melody. This moody, almost dark piece feels like someone weeping. And retching and weeping some more. The distress is palpable. You do a fine job with this.
Opus 71 No 7: Remembrances (Performed by Dynamobt)
I recorded this so long ago it hardly even feels like me playing anymore. As with everyone in this opus, I moaned and groaned and complained mightily, but the result is not that bad. Let’s face it. Could be worse!!! LOL!!!
I want to thank the organizers and opleds of this themed recital. Without you, none of this would have happened. Thanks to all those who listened and commented. Sharing with all of you is turning out to be tons of fun. Thanks to all who participated!!!

#2156898 - 09/24/13 03:22 PM Re: GRIEG LYRIC PIECES OPUS 71 - PART 10 of 10 [Re: dynamobt]

Originally Posted By: dynamobt

OK, so the acrobat took a few tumbles. Who wouldn’t??!!!! I think your acrobatic fingers have earned their rest. Hope you didn’t run out of Band Aids during practice. You have taken on more than your fair share of nightmares in this recital, Erin!! I salute you!!!!!!!
I think it was the stress of playing that got to me, and it was hard for me to figure out how to undo what it did to my playing. I've decided not to shelf this quite yet, as I think maybe I can do a better recording at least. My husband begs me to stop though, so maybe I should be merciful and look at it in a few months. wink

#2156901 - 09/24/13 03:34 PM Re: GRIEG LYRIC PIECES OPUS 71 - PART 10 of 10 [Re: Anne H]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southeast of Spain
What an awesome ending for this recital! Beauty, expression and technique, you all did great! Thanks so much Anne, Farm Girl, Valencia, Morodiene, Keystring and Marilyn for your performances.

My website

#2156973 - 09/24/13 05:25 PM Re: GRIEG LYRIC PIECES OPUS 71 - PART 10 of 10 [Re: Anne H]
patH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Germany
A beautiful ending to the Grieg recital. thumb to the final performers.

About the texts some of you wrote: Some seem to be a bit unhappy with their performances. In my opinion you don't have to be. There may have been a few notes Grieg did not explicitly write down; but you still made music.

#2157109 - 09/24/13 09:55 PM Re: GRIEG LYRIC PIECES OPUS 71 - PART 10 of 10 [Re: Anne H]
AZ_Astro Offline

Loc: Tempe, Arizona
Anne H:

Aw - that was nice! There were some fine moments in that recording and I enjoy hearing some of those unique "Grieg" moments, when certain chords and rhythm come together and give a distinctly Grieg-like sound. There have been a lot of them in this wonderful recital.

I have a dog that howls (pretty loudly, too) when I play Chopin. It just hits the wrong chord for him, I guess. So I can sympathize.

And, as usual, your Steinway came through with a stately performance. Great job !

Edited by AZ_Astro (09/25/13 12:46 AM)

#2157115 - 09/24/13 10:04 PM Re: GRIEG LYRIC PIECES OPUS 71 - PART 10 of 10 [Re: Anne H]
AZ_Astro Offline

Loc: Tempe, Arizona
Farmgirl: I listened to Summer Evening and Puck. What a contrast between the two! I liked the measured pace of summer evening and the delicate textures that were interwoven. And I could just see the bees flying around at one particular point. Puck is a strange and curious piece, and I suspect that you learned a lot by choosing that piece, maybe even more than you know right now. Taken together, they were a distinguished work of musicianship and you should be proud of your efforts.

#2157176 - 09/25/13 12:08 AM Re: GRIEG LYRIC PIECES OPUS 71 - PART 10 of 10 [Re: Anne H]
carey Online   content
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Congratulations Opus 71 performers - y'all did just fine !!!!

I'm almost certain that when Grieg composed the Opus 71 No. 7 (Remembrances), basing it on the melody from the Arietta in Opus 12 No. 1, he clearly had decided that Opus 71 would be his LAST set of Lyric Pieces. ha

I'd like to sincerely thank all the performers in the Grieg Lyric Piece e-cital for contributing to my own musical education. This is the first time I'd ever listened to all 66 works consecutively while following the score. It was quite a revelation - and I now have a better appreciation of Grieg's abilities as a composer.

Thanks also to the e-cital organizers !!

Well done everyone !!! thumb

Edited by carey (09/25/13 12:09 AM)

#2157239 - 09/25/13 04:27 AM Re: GRIEG LYRIC PIECES OPUS 71 - PART 10 of 10 [Re: Anne H]
Ganddalf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Norway
71/1, Once upon a time (Performed by AnneH) :

Seemingly not so hard, this piece is challenging enough. I can hear that you put a lot of effort into the study of it, and for me it was nice to hear this piece again. It was a favorite of one of my friends during my young days.

71/2, Summer Evening (Performed by FarmGirl):

The mood of this piece is similar to the “Album Leaf” in Op.47, and Grieg paints a picture of the scenery during a summer evening (or maybe a Nordic white night) with scent of flowers and singing blackbirds. I enjoyed your performance very much.

71/3, Puck (Performed by FarmGirl):

This piece is awkward to play even at slow speed with these repeated thirds that you have to play with the 3rd and 5th finger. I’m not too concerned about the speed the piece is played. You manage to bring out some of the humor in this composition, and I liked listening to it.

71/4, Peace of the Woods (Performed by Valencia):

Learning this piece takes a lot of effort. You have managed to capture the right mood of the piece. I also enjoyed the accompanying photos a lot. Good job!

71/5, Halling (Performed by Morodiene):

This is the one of the Lyric Pieces I fear the most. It is really awkward to play. I’m allergic to playing leaping octaves with my left hand, so I didn’t ever considering playing this piece myself. I willingly forgive you any misses during your performance. You have the right feeling for the music, and I particularly noticed your accents, that really made me thinking of the Hardanger fiddle. Very enjoyable performance!

71/6, Gone (Performed by Keystring):

I think you played this piece very well. On several occasions I have pointed out the difficulty of the meditative Lyric Pieces. Hitting the notes is one thing, but making music out of it is the real challenge. I’m pretty sure you have worked a lot on this piece, and the result was very good.

71/7, Remembrances (Performed by Dynamobt):

Using the same theme here as in his first Lyric Piece Grieg completes the frame around his collection of piano miniatures. It is a very interesting piece to listen to where Grieg makes several unexpected harmonic turns. You played the piece with sensitivity and great dynamics. Fine performance!

#2157291 - 09/25/13 07:51 AM Re: GRIEG LYRIC PIECES OPUS 71 - PART 10 of 10 [Re: Ganddalf]

Originally Posted By: Ganddalf

This is the one of the Lyric Pieces I fear the most. It is really awkward to play. I’m allergic to playing leaping octaves with my left hand, so I didn’t ever considering playing this piece myself. I willingly forgive you any misses during your performance. You have the right feeling for the music, and I particularly noticed your accents, that really made me thinking of the Hardanger fiddle. Very enjoyable performance!

Believe it or not, the LH octaves weren't that bad once I put in the work to do them slow, completely releasing the hand in between each, and exaggerating the upward lift so I land onto each one vertically rather than reach for it horizontally. It was the RH and even though I had reworked the notes a bit to be more comfortable, it still was awkward so then psychologically it really messed with me when I tried to record. Glad at least I made up for it with the spirit smile

#2157531 - 09/25/13 04:04 PM Re: GRIEG LYRIC PIECES OPUS 71 - PART 10 of 10 [Re: Anne H]
FarmGirl Online   content

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Participants and their family,
congratulations for completing this.

Op-LEDs and others who are part of organizers
Good Job. Thanks for taking care if late submitters like me.

All others who kindly commented on our performance. Thank you.
Solo - Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, Schubert Sonata D960 Andante sostenute (9/7/14), Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1

#2157536 - 09/25/13 04:15 PM Re: GRIEG LYRIC PIECES OPUS 71 - PART 10 of 10 [Re: Morodiene]
Ganddalf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: Morodiene
Originally Posted By: Ganddalf

Believe it or not, the LH octaves weren't that bad once I put in the work to do them slow, completely releasing the hand in between each, and exaggerating the upward lift so I land onto each one vertically rather than reach for it horizontally. It was the RH and even though I had reworked the notes a bit to be more comfortable, it still was awkward so then psychologically it really messed with me when I tried to record. Glad at least I made up for it with the spirit smile

Hm.. Seems to be good advice. Maybe I should try this technique myself. I suspect that I tend to reach for the positions horizontally rather than vertically.

#2159578 - 09/29/13 10:36 AM Re: GRIEG LYRIC PIECES OPUS 71 - PART 10 of 10 [Re: Ganddalf]
SwissMS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
Opus 71 No 1: Once upon a time (Performed by AnneH) This piece has the feel of determination to it. It is going somewhere. I thought that you captured that feeling well. Very nice.

Opus 71 No 2: Summer Evening (Performed by FarmGirl) This is a nice relaxed piece with a jazzy sound. Definitely impressionistic. Very nicely played! I like the pacing you gave the piece, like a lazy summer day. Very nice.

Opus 71 No 3: Puck (Performed by FarmGirl) I really like this piece. It is so playful! You have the piece down very nicely. The speed will come with time. You captured the magic of the piece even in the slower tempo. Fun!

Opus 71 No 4: Peace of the Woods (Performed by Valencia) This is a rich, romantic piece with some gorgeous harmonies. I thought you played it quite well. I like the pauses to reflect throughout. Very nice!

Opus 71 No 5: Halling (Performed by Morodiene) This piece sounds like quite the handful! You played it quite well though, and made it sound easy. My hat is off to you!

Opus 71 No 6: Gone (Performed by Keystring) I love those chromatic progressions! Your playing had a lot of expression and contrast, which really brought this piece to life. Good job!

Opus 71 No 7: Remembrances (Performed by Dynamobt) This is a wistful piece, that seems reflective. It is very fitting as the final Lyric piece. You sang the melody very well, and gave the piece the tenderness it requires. Very nice.

Working on:
Handel - Allemande in A Minor
Bach - Inv. #14
Beethoven - Sonata #79 2nd mvmt
Kuhlau op. 88 - 3

#2165961 - 10/14/13 09:23 AM Re: GRIEG LYRIC PIECES OPUS 71 - PART 10 of 10 [Re: patH]
Piano*Dad Online   content

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
Originally Posted By: patH

About the texts some of you wrote: Some seem to be a bit unhappy with their performances. In my opinion you don't have to be. There may have been a few notes Grieg did not explicitly write down; but you still made music.

Ditto. No need for the grumps. I'm feeling like I got let off easy in comparison to these little beasties.

Erin, I like that Halling. Y'know, it would be fun to record a set of the Hallings. I think there are four (at least three) in here.

Yeah, I'm bumping stuff because I'm late to get around to finishing the recital.
Grotrian 192 #156455

https://www.youtube.com/user/dhfeld/videos

#2165988 - 10/14/13 10:26 AM Re: GRIEG LYRIC PIECES OPUS 71 - PART 10 of 10 [Re: Piano*Dad]

Originally Posted By: Piano*Dad
Originally Posted By: patH

Ditto. No need for the grumps. I'm feeling like I got let off easy in comparison to these little beasties.

Erin, I like that Halling. Y'know, it would be fun to record a set of the Hallings. I think there are four (at least three) in here.

Yeah, I'm bumping stuff because I'm late to get around to finishing the recital.
I'm starting to recover from this attempt LOL! But I too enjoyed listening to the different Hallings smile

#2166238 - 10/14/13 05:53 PM Re: GRIEG LYRIC PIECES OPUS 71 - PART 10 of 10 [Re: Anne H]
Dipsy Offline

Once upon a time - AnneH: I appreciate your honesty, and can empathise with the difficulty of making repeated passages interesting - I don't know how to myself. But despite your misgivings I felt you played competently and conveyed a change of mood well when in transition between sections.

Summer evening - Farmgirl: I liked the way your playing was bright and delicate, while the lower passages were mellow and had a relaxed feel. The changes of gear were handled well.

Puck - Farmgirl: I liked your spirited approach, and sense of fun and drama here. It held together well, and had an enjoyable flourish at the end.

Peace of the woods - Valencia: There was no sign of the struggle you had with it, and I didn't think it sounded over careful, just at a nice steady pace. The protracted ending seemed the most assured. You managed to maintain a consistent tempo throughout, and I thought you brave to tackle a piece in such a key. I really liked the personal touch your pictures brought to your performance.

Halling - Morodiene: It seems like you didn't like this piece much! It seemed relentless, demanding extensive coverage of the piano, and all at once. I imagine that was physically demanding. It seemed to be very well projected - was really 'out there' and had a showy, celebratory feel.

Gone - Keystring: I thought you conveyed the mood of the piece well, building to a dramatic climax with gravitas, and a good finish.

Remembrances - Dynamobt: I agree that the melody carried , and in my view the chord accompaniment was not at all over loud. I think you were right not to play it at a slower tempo. You built up to the final section very well.

Congratulations to each and every one for their part in this final opus, contributing to the overall achievement.

Edited by Dipsy (10/14/13 05:53 PM)

#2166311 - 10/14/13 09:04 PM Re: GRIEG LYRIC PIECES OPUS 71 - PART 10 of 10 [Re: Dipsy]

Originally Posted By: Dipsy
Once upon a time - AnneH: I appreciate your honesty, and can empathise with the difficulty of making repeated passages interesting - I don't know how to myself. But despite your misgivings I felt you played competently and conveyed a change of mood well when in transition between sections.

Summer evening - Farmgirl: I liked the way your playing was bright and delicate, while the lower passages were mellow and had a relaxed feel. The changes of gear were handled well.

Puck - Farmgirl: I liked your spirited approach, and sense of fun and drama here. It held together well, and had an enjoyable flourish at the end.

Peace of the woods - Valencia: There was no sign of the struggle you had with it, and I didn't think it sounded over careful, just at a nice steady pace. The protracted ending seemed the most assured. You managed to maintain a consistent tempo throughout, and I thought you brave to tackle a piece in such a key. I really liked the personal touch your pictures brought to your performance.

Halling - Morodiene: It seems like you didn't like this piece much! It seemed relentless, demanding extensive coverage of the piano, and all at once. I imagine that was physically demanding. It seemed to be very well projected - was really 'out there' and had a showy, celebratory feel.

Gone - Keystring: I thought you conveyed the mood of the piece well, building to a dramatic climax with gravitas, and a good finish.

Remembrances - Dynamobt: I agree that the melody carried , and in my view the chord accompaniment was not at all over loud. I think you were right not to play it at a slower tempo. You built up to the final section very well.

Congratulations to each and every one for their part in this final opus, contributing to the overall achievement.
I actually really liked the piece, but had such difficulty recording it, I was at my wits end with it. I will probably revisit it now that I've cooled down a bit. grin

#2167714 - 10/17/13 01:55 PM Re: GRIEG LYRIC PIECES OPUS 71 - PART 10 of 10 [Re: Anne H]
AimeeO Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013

Finally, I get to listen to this! These pieces have so much life. Everyone is waaaay to hard on themselves!

71/1 - AnneH: I like it! I would have been annoyed with all of the repeats myself, but you made them actually sound interesting and I didn't mind them at all. They really meant something here, and I commend you on that. And great job playing with the flu - can't tell!

71/2 - FarmGirl: One of the ones I've been looking forward to - you know how I giggle at some interpretations of the name! I think I like this at the slower tempo, actually.. when it's faster I start thinking of 70's dance hits. This way it sounds like things are blossoming into summer.

71/3 - FarmGirl: Kudos for the 2am recording. Again, this tempo is great, IMO. It sounds very suspenseful, and while you think Puck is mocking you, I'm looking around the corner to see if he's chasing me down. It's fine at a faster tempo, also, but this definitely works. So much personality!

71/4 - Valencia: Yay, challenges.. they only make you better, and that's the whole point of these things for me. I think you've done well with what you learned here. Anything that might be construed as pauses (or uneven) sound completely natural here. Peace in the woods (or anywhere!) should never be rushed or completely predictable, if you ask me. Romantic pieces (or romance!) have plenty of room not to be steady, anyway.. they mean more that way. Well done!

71/5 - Morodiene: Again - too hard on yourself. And to be perfectly honest, any "stumbles" here sound like they should be there. Who the heck dances that fast without falling? When I think of a fast village dance, I see people falling and laughing. Seriously! This is lively and fun (although I admit that if presented with the challenge of this piece, I would have run for the hills) You are talented, and I am jealous!

71/6 - Keystring: Another one of those pieces that could be hard to convey, but you got your head right in it. Very introspective. Great job with this.

71/7 Dynamobt: Having played Arietta, I really appreciate this one.. He had to have known this one was last. It's such a finale piece! Nice work on keeping the accompaniment quiet. I couldn't wait to hear it, and you did not disappoint! (I actually listened to it out of order( shocked )as soon as I saw it posted.. sorry it took so long to comment!)

#2169894 - 10/22/13 06:52 AM Re: GRIEG LYRIC PIECES OPUS 71 - PART 10 of 10 [Re: Anne H]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
I'm rather shocked at how long it has taken me to get to this last Opus. I apologize to all the performers - it wasn't a lack of interest, simply life getting in the way.

This was really a wonderful Opus, and a truly wonderful wrap up to the recital.

Anne H / Once Upon a Time Sweet! I liked the second part of the fairy tale! Here is another one that indeed sounds “easier” but that is deceptive, isn’t it! This is another piece that is evocative of village life – I can picture a stage set with the village waking up and folks going about their morning routines. I enjoyed this very much!

FarmGirl/Summer Evening Loved it! This has both a romantic and a modern flavour I think. I love the swelling crescendos and the cascading notes, it was easy to picture summer skies, sunsets, long days coming to a close. A real pleasure to listen to – I am tempted to try playing it …..hmmmm…..

FarmGirl /PuckI loved your description of Puck teasing you, and though you say your piece is slower than it should be, his naughty playful character comes shining through! You’ve really caught several different moods in this piece! I don’t know if it would be fun or a nightmare to learn, but it is definitely fun to listen to! I will be curious to hear it if you re-record later!

Valencia/Peace of the Woods Your digital has a great sound! The layers of this piece are very evident – as is the peace therein! There is a stunning arrange of depth and tone. Your photo selections were wonderful! I think you dealt with the challenges of this piece very well. I think many of us are in the same boat, in feeling that we haven’t done full justice to our pieces – but at the same time many of us have been really stretched by taking on these pieces. You have my compliments for your performance, I thoroughly enjoyed listening to it!

Morodiene/Halling Ah here we have the patriotic sound flowing out like melting mountain brooklets! The music of spring echoing , mountain goats bounding from one craggy cliff to the next. I loved the energy you put in – and brought out! – in this piece. Wonderful drama- (loved your glissando too) – Most enjoyable indeed! Complimenti

Keystring/Gone I know what you mean about the notes being easy, but not what to do with them! You really captured the sense of something gone, - departed, but how? Death? Distance? The melancholy flows through inconsolably. Your performance is poetic.

Dynamobt/Remembrances What a charming old fashioned melody this is – you’ve played it with a sweet (but not cloying) delicacy that is soothing and wistful. What a fitting ending to our wonderful recital!

My compliments, and thanks! - to all who participated in making this recital something that will always hold a special place in my heart for the adventure and challenges shared, the friendships made during its organization and the pure delight of listening to all the performances.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
A study of the practice behaviors of effective pianists
by lyricmudra
10/01/14 10:37 PM
Ease of play - Yamaha p35 or p105
by DeadPoets
10/01/14 10:37 PM
piano beats in groups
by SKJP
10/01/14 09:42 PM
What to look for in a keyboard
by Tikki56
10/01/14 06:30 PM
Christmas duets for Student and Teacher
by Purpl3keys
10/01/14 06:24 PM
Who's Online
135 registered (ajames, 36251, anotherscott, BB Player, 38 invisible), 1426 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76396 Members
42 Forums
157937 Topics
2319428 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission