Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2156412 - 09/23/13 08:11 PM Final Fantasy music - Nobuo Uematsu
Oongawa Offline

This forum seems mostly interested in jazz, but I didn't know where else this thread might fit.

I have recently discovered the FF music. I'm not a gamer, I had no idea it had such fabulous music. It's probably miles beyond me but I can dream...

I started searching for "To Zanarkand."

I tried a local music store, they had nothing. I looked at musicnotes.com and they have something with that name for $5.25 but it's only two pages so it can't be complete, it would be much longer.

Of course, Amazon has a bunch of music books for the series but none of the descriptions tell what pieces are in each book. And they're pretty pricey so I don't want to just guess at it.

Does anyone here have a suggestion? I'm hoping for "easier" arrangements.
I'm presently working my way through Yurima's "easy piano" which I think is more intermediate than easy.

Are others playing this and maybe could comment here?
Beethoven - Sonatina in F
Attempting a little blues improv
'69 Mason & Hamlin Model A

Piano & Music Accessories
#2156436 - 09/23/13 08:57 PM Re: Final Fantasy music - Nobuo Uematsu [Re: Oongawa]
Sweet06 Online   content

yea seriously, why do they not put peices of the music listed on the book? its so irritating

#2156473 - 09/23/13 09:33 PM Re: Final Fantasy music - Nobuo Uematsu [Re: Oongawa]
Oongawa Offline

And the books range from $40 - $60.

I'm glad I noticed the musicnotes one was two pages. That can't even be the introduction. There's another store in town and I'll check there but it shouldnt be this difficult.

I'm hoping someone on here who has played 'To Zanarkand' can tell me which book it is in.

#2156534 - 09/23/13 11:40 PM Re: Final Fantasy music - Nobuo Uematsu [Re: Oongawa]
tangleweeds Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012

Loc: Portlandia
Copy the book's ISBN from its Amazon page, and use that to look up the same sheet music at SheetMusicPlus, where they're much better about listing all the pieces in their books.

neglected piano blog

#2156996 - 09/24/13 05:56 PM Re: Final Fantasy music - Nobuo Uematsu [Re: Oongawa]
Doritos Flavoured Offline

Loc: Brazil
Love the guy. I'm a gamer and experienced then first hand in all their digital sequenced glory. smile

that piece you refer to is from FF10. best works from Uematsu to me are OSTs for FF 6, 7 and 8, though. try "Terra" next...

jazz guys from here would also have a nice time with Koji Kondo's music. he's the guy behind the music of Mario and Zelda Nintendo games.

my piano haiku

#2157064 - 09/24/13 08:15 PM Re: Final Fantasy music - Nobuo Uematsu [Re: Doritos Flavoured]
Oongawa Offline

Thank you!! That's excellent info on using the ISBN, I had not thought of that.
I'll go and listen to a couple of the other suggested also.

I'm afraid these are going to be beyond me at the moment but at least I can look for a simpler arrangement, now that I know what to look for.

Thank you VERY much.

#2157444 - 09/25/13 12:56 PM Re: Final Fantasy music - Nobuo Uematsu [Re: Oongawa]
Allan W. Offline

Loc: Michigan
Video game music is my favorite, especially when they have good arrangements. I have a few on my Youtube channel and I plan on recording some Final Fantasy Piano Collections pieces. Also check out Lara: http://www.youtube.com/user/lara6683

Get this book. Well worth the price and has most of the popular pieces from the 5 games from 7 to 10-2. They are the "Piano Collections" arrangements. My review has the song listing.

http://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-VII-Piano-Collections/dp/4636831837/

Squaresound.com is a good resource for seeing all of the books and the tracks listed.

You can listen to all of them on Youtube if you search for piano collections. You can also find the sheet music online pretty easily if you want to preview them first...

However, all of them are intermediate to early advanced music so you might have a hard time. For easier arrangements, you should buy the OST versions. However, they are pretty simple sounding so I don't like them as much as the piano collections versions.

I recommend this piece: Eyes on Me, which was one of the first pieces I learned when I picked up the piano. It's relatively easy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2695ravtf-U

#2157734 - 09/25/13 11:54 PM Re: Final Fantasy music - Nobuo Uematsu [Re: Oongawa]
Ashley Drew Offline

Try pianofiles.com. It's a sheet music sharing site. I'm sure someone will have what you are looking for.

#2157764 - 09/26/13 01:22 AM Re: Final Fantasy music - Nobuo Uematsu [Re: Oongawa]
erichlof Online   content

Hi Oongawa,
I also enjoy the FF music, especially arranged for piano. The following link is a real internet treasure. You can download ALL FF music/piano arrangements for free:

http://www.ffpianomelody.com/sheetmusic_main.html

These are original piano scores (how they sound on pro recordings) and might be quite difficult if you are just starting out. However, it never hurts to have the original sheet music so that when you DO reach a certain level, you will be ready to enjoy learning/playing them as they were intended.

Hope this helps!

#2157800 - 09/26/13 04:15 AM Re: Final Fantasy music - Nobuo Uematsu [Re: Oongawa]
Piano Girl RMG Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Germany
Hi,

Our family friend Benyamin Nuss (a very young concert pianist who is taking Europe and Asia by storm) has recorded this music. You might enjoy this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDcH2NPcn6I
RHYTHM: A Novel
RMG is a Steinway Artist

#2162159 - 10/05/13 02:49 PM Re: Final Fantasy music - Nobuo Uematsu [Re: Oongawa]
Oongawa Offline

I just wanted to offer my thanks to those who offered suggestions, especially the
ffpianomelody site.

I now have a copy of the piece and I was surprised it isn't as difficult as I expected, with the exception of the infamous four measures of 16th notes. My teachers assessment was "Challenging, but within reach." So, I'm thrashing my way through it.

I can play the whole thing but still pretty slow. Even so, it was just so encouraging to hear something that interested me and be able to play it.

Of course, the people who live with me are probably getting tired of it, ha ha, the joys of living with a wanna-be-pianist.

#2162928 - 10/07/13 09:38 AM Re: Final Fantasy music - Nobuo Uematsu [Re: Oongawa]
Allard Offline

Loc: Netherlands
I started working on Zanarkand two months after picking up piano, almost two years ago. It was very tough, but so fulfilling. I still play the piece regularly. It's even getting to sound like something, although those four measures are still beyond me (I play the piano collections version, not the OST). Never gets boring.

#2163058 - 10/07/13 03:47 PM Re: Final Fantasy music - Nobuo Uematsu [Re: Oongawa]
Eddyaknow Offline

Hey Oongawa this is what you are looking for laugh
scroll down to Final Fantasy X and there you will find "To Zanarkand" http://ichigos.com/sheets/fi

Edited by Eddyakmow (10/07/13 03:48 PM)

#2164165 - 10/09/13 10:01 PM Re: Final Fantasy music - Nobuo Uematsu [Re: Oongawa]
Oongawa Offline

Thanks! That is a great site!

I need to spend some time on there figuring out what I'll do after Zanarkand.
Some of it was in keys that I'm not ready for yet - too many flats or sharps. But what an amazing array of beautiful music.

Thanks for sending the link.

#2166669 - 10/15/13 01:32 PM Re: Final Fantasy music - Nobuo Uematsu [Re: Oongawa]
monads Offline

Loc: CA
I have the Doremi original soundtrack books (VII, VIII, X). I'd be curious to check out the arrangements of same pieces contained in other books or the Piano Collectios. From the books above, I think only 'VIII' has the track titles in English. And depeding on where you buy the books from, some stores provide a Japanese/English track title sheet.

If you have the original soundtracks though, you can align the Japanese titles and translate the titles via iTunes English track titles. The book contents are listed by CD: CD1, CD2, CD3, CD4.

Yeah, I'm a big Nobuo Uematsu fan wink

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
What's Hot!!
European Piano Party 2014, Picts & Stories! (Piano Party in Portugal)
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) Purely Piano Practice Software
Purely Piano Practice Software
(ad) Piano Guide Lessons
Piano Guide Lessons
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
182 registered (88 Fingers Jeff, accordeur, Abby Pianoman, 36251, 59 invisible), 1681 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75336 Members
42 Forums
155774 Topics
2287197 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
First Digital Piano - Casio AP250 or Roland RP301?
by Jorgeb
Today at 02:07 PM
Interested in an Exam Program; Which One Best in Eastern US?
by ClsscLib
Today at 10:40 AM
Should I buy a CP4 or RD- 800 ?
by Abby Pianoman
Today at 10:02 AM
Lauberger & Gloss
by David, Las Vegas
Today at 09:40 AM
How do you measure progress?
by BrianDX
Today at 08:05 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission