2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (bcalvanese, 20/20 Vision, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 11 invisible), 1,921 guests, and 266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
P
OP Offline
P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8ndHYBEPsw

I played this in the Southeastern Piano Festival's competition; it was a good experience, and this work earned me the award for best solo performance in the competition.
I had a very valuable conversation with Professor Babayan, (a judge, and of course, incredible pianist) after my performance.

There is a link to an unlisted performance of Beethoven's 4th concerto from that competition in the video information. I was planning on playing Rach 3 at the competition, but switched at the last minute as the Rachmaninov was, at the time, quite new.

P.S. Jason, I tried to lighten up contrapunctus 9 a bit-- it's actually a really difficult piece for me, but I'll keep working on it smile

Working on: Rachmaninov concerto 3, Mozart K488, Beethoven Waldstein, Bach Goldberg Variations, Stravinsky Petrushka, Bach Art of the Fugue, Brahms 118, Rachmaninov op. 39 no. 6 (Red Riding Hood), Chopin etude op. 10 no. 1, Chopin nocturne op. 55 no. 2, Bach Prelude and Fugue in g# minor (Book 2)
B
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
B
Absolutely outstanding, Rachel! Beautiful, sustained sound in the first contrapunctus, and each voice is profiled very well. Wonderful articulation in the contrapunctus 9 - not an easy piece at all! Congratulations on the competition!

F
FSO Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Urgh. Talent. Well, sure, you can articulate well and the phrasing is sublime, you might be far too good for your age and winning competitions, but my feelings of envy and deep seated inferiority have reserves the likes of which you'll never be forced to attain, so who's the real winner? Um...really, there's modesty and then there's taking the p*ss; "I tried to lighten up contrapunctus 9 a bit-- it's actually a really difficult piece for me, but I'll keep working on it" urgh...just...urgh....you're disgustingly good; deal with it laugh
Xxx

Sometimes, we all just need to be shown a little kindness <3
P
OP Offline
P
Oh dear... well, actually I have quite a few technical issues with contrapunctus 9. It takes a lot of finger independence to be able to voice the trills the way I want, and I'm not quite there yet. I was considering just publishing the two fugues together from the winners' concert but the opening trill bothers me quite a bit! Besides that, it is a probably a better performance, but it has some 'bugs' I'd like to work out.
(winners' concert- note the abysmal first trill of no. 9)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NyyW0R4aE4

Last edited by Piano Person16; 09/23/13 01:07 PM.

Working on: Rachmaninov concerto 3, Mozart K488, Beethoven Waldstein, Bach Goldberg Variations, Stravinsky Petrushka, Bach Art of the Fugue, Brahms 118, Rachmaninov op. 39 no. 6 (Red Riding Hood), Chopin etude op. 10 no. 1, Chopin nocturne op. 55 no. 2, Bach Prelude and Fugue in g# minor (Book 2)
F
FSO Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Yes yes, I quite noticed that trill.... laugh I didn't say you were Gouldian, I didn't even say you were perfect, it's just....some of us have so far to go; you appear to already be there, looking for a parking space...

Sometimes, we all just need to be shown a little kindness <3
L
L
This was good. Work on those faces though, for your own benefit.

H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H
Bravo! Very good.

But...

Originally Posted by La_plus
...Work on those faces though, for your own benefit.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Rachel,

Fantastic playing! Here are some thoughts, for what they're worth:

#9: I actually think you nailed it. I'm sure you think there's room for improvement of details, but the big picture is there, and it's *very* compelling. You're in touch with the right cosmic ticking. Keep doing what you're doing.

#1: The playing is beautiful, but we may just have a difference of interpretation. You make this fugue into something very drawn-out, almost painful. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I've always heard it as much more quiet and reserved. Almost expressionless, like a statue, feeling all the cosmic emotions you can imagine, but mostly feeling them internally, and not emoting them so strongly. I'd love to hear what you sound like playing this at pp to p throughout, just as a fun experiment.

-Jason

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Thanks for posting these performances; they are very good!!

I'm friends with a few people that have gone to SEPF, including this past summer.

P
OP Offline
P
Me too smile smile

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
By the way, PianoPerson, with the repertoire list in your signature, it seems you'd barely have time to just run through all your pieces, even if you had 5 hours to practice. What's up with that?

Regards,

Polyphonist
P
OP Offline
P
Ha. I don't work on everything every day! Some of the repertoire, I learned in the summer and have "put away" until a time in the near future when I will begin reviving for practice recital or competition. As I am competing and auditioning this year, there are a number of requirements, and those don't always match, so there's a lot of rep!

I actually took extra courses to finish high school early, so I've already graduated (I'm 16) and now spend pretty much all day practicing (usually between 9-12 hours).

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Piano Person16
Ha. I don't work on everything every day! Some of the repertoire, I learned in the summer and have "put away" until a time in the near future when I will begin reviving for practice recital or competition. As I am competing and auditioning this year, there are a number of requirements, and those don't always match, so there's a lot of rep!

I actually took extra courses to finish high school early, so I've already graduated (I'm 16) and now spend pretty much all day practicing (usually between 9-12 hours).

I was going on the assumption that the pieces listed were just the ones you're currently working on, as with most similar signatures. smile

Regards,

Polyphonist
P
OP Offline
P
Everything gets attacked at least once a week, but momentary shifts in focus depend on what I am performing that week. I guess you can think of it more as what is in my hands at the moment. There isn't really anything in my repertoire (as listed) that wouldn't be prepared for performance given a week's notice.

I concur that it is too much, but thank heavens it's all good music smile

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Everything gets attacked at least once a week, but momentary shifts in focus depend on what I am performing that week. I guess you can think of it more as what is in my hands at the moment. There isn't really anything in my repertoire (as listed) that wouldn't be prepared for performance given a week's notice.

I concur that it is too much, but thank heavens it's all good music smile

It's not all good music. Those Bach songs are just garbage. So boring.

(Joking, of course. laugh )

Regards,

Polyphonist
P
OP Offline
P

Haha. I think that's my fault, not Bach's!

Last edited by Piano Person16; 09/23/13 09:49 PM.

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P

Haha. I think that's my fault, not Bach's!

No, I was joking. Sorry about that. Of course I understand the work is one of the major cornerstones of the piano repertoire, and every moment of it is genius. I hoped my facetious use of the word "song" would convey this. ha

You play them quite well. Just cut the dramatic facial expressions. grin

Regards,

Polyphonist
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Beautiful playing, but you look like a goldfish being stabbed multiple times.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Excellent job. Art, is quite a difficult work. Will you be playing it in it's entirety?
I must admit, for as much as I enjoyed your performance I had to stop watching and just listen, because I couldn't take any more of the facial stuff going on (whatever that was).

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I agree with what most members here have said - excellent performance... but avoid the grimaces if possible, even if I don't doubt they are "real" and that you feel what you are trying to express.

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission