Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2148509 - 09/11/13 11:33 PM Living with a Concert Grand
Swarth Offline

Loc: SF Bay Area Ca.
I have had a few weeks to get acquainted with my Mason & Hamlin CC2. It was not love at first sight and that is the chance you take when rebuilding a piano. In the shop the few pianists that played it said it wasn't "amazing". That said, when making the choices for rebuild compromises are made that may affect the sound, performance or looks. I opted for lesser than the $1000 a foot local refinishing offering. Upon close inspection, they did an OK job, overall the several thousands saved was worth it. I was hoping to place this piano in an hall rather than a home but that is not happening. The new Able action and hammers are about as good as it gets. Not having to replace the soundboard was a big deal. Still you never know what you will get. Six months passed and the unsold piano came home.

After my technician came out and put the initial fine tuning this piano came alive. The purity of tone was commented on as he is the local Steinway guy and it's much different than a D which "has lots going on". He told me this piano belonged in a studio as it was perfect for recording. His appraisal was well above what I could not sell it for. After a short discussion with my wife, whose terms of surrender was that the bringing home of stray grands ends, we decided to keep her. While not perfect, this piano has more expressive capabilities than I'm accustomed to. I'm learning a whole new way to play adding tonal colors. This concert grand is really a luxury liner. This is not a little run about or even a high powered speed boat. It takes time to get up to speed and prefers gentle handling. It's responsiveness is much more subtle and it reflects in the smooth ride. I'm really enjoying everything it can do. I'm starting to set up for recording. I still have to have my sound guy do a room treatment plan and figure out what/where microphones to use. For now I just did a quick run through so you could all hear what it sounds like.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10200551336802781

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2148520 - 09/11/13 11:51 PM Re: Living with a Concert Grand [Re: Swarth]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
Going out of tune already. That can be expected with new strings.

#2148538 - 09/12/13 12:25 AM Re: Living with a Concert Grand [Re: Swarth]
jc201306 Offline

Congratulation on your M&H! The recording does need some rework, since it does not sound like M&H at all.

#2148574 - 09/12/13 02:49 AM Re: Living with a Concert Grand [Re: Swarth]
AZ_Astro Offline

Loc: Tempe, Arizona
What a delightful sound! Nice sustain up and down and the treble really speaks out.

I think you have a lot to look forward to as the strings finally settle down.

AZ

#2148600 - 09/12/13 05:07 AM Re: Living with a Concert Grand [Re: Swarth]
Derek Hartwell Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Competent playing, but I don't care for the piano's tone. However, that may be down to the recording.

rk

#2148630 - 09/12/13 07:41 AM Re: Living with a Concert Grand [Re: Swarth]
Rickster Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
Swarth, I liked your piano and your playing! Definitely a warmer tone than I'm used to with my C7, but a nice tone indeed.

It would have been nicer if some of the wayward unisons were touched up before the recording, but it still sounded good.

I say enjoy your piano, and keep it up for sale if that is what you want to do with it. It is a fabulous piano, and I think the rebuild turned out great! And, your M&H piano adventure certainly has an interesting story behind it... smile

Rick

#2148739 - 09/12/13 12:04 PM Re: Living with a Concert Grand [Re: Swarth]
Swarth Offline

Thanks, for the competent remark too, as recording really exposes every little error and I wasn't going for perfection, it was just a test take. Plus I'm not really a solo player, I love the comfort of a bass and a drummer. What I wanted to do was record something before it drifted anymore. After almost 3 hours of tweaking my tech told me to just play the heck out of it and it will settle down, it had drifted down ~3 cents and the unisons at least are not twanging although a few offenders are becoming annoying. I've budgeted for 5-6 tunings over the next year, the next being after the weather changes in November. Also we are installing a whole house humidifier as things dry up a bit much here in the winter. This has my wife's full approval as it should help with her dry cracking skin.

Recording a Concert Grand is a new one for me and recording one is certainly a challenge. I've only tried about 20 or so placements. This one used a Rode NTV tube condenser over the treble section and a Senheiser 421 towards the Bass, spaced about 6 feet and 4 feet above the sound board. It provided a bit of room ambience, but I would prefer to open it up even more. The room is too live for that now and there is a "shiny" resonance around 2K that must be tamed. I'll keep experimenting, but until we get the spectrum analyzer in here it's just guesswork. I'll play around with close micing a bit more but first attempts produced more percussiveness than I like. My mic selection is rather thin in Omni's , but an Earthworks type system might be an option.

#2148746 - 09/12/13 12:23 PM Re: Living with a Concert Grand [Re: Swarth]
pianoloverus Offline

Loc: New York City
You bought and rebuilt the piano with the hopes of reselling it?

#2148754 - 09/12/13 12:45 PM Re: Living with a Concert Grand [Re: pianoloverus]
Swarth Offline

Originally Posted By: pianoloverus

The truth is I rescued the piano from certain destruction and my original plan was to rebuild it and donate it to my church. They didn't want it. It wasn't much of a decision. If I was able to sell it I had another piano I wanted purchase, if not the worst that could happen is I'm stuck with a 9 foot CC2 that will hold it's value well over my costs for many years. What I learned most of all is what a mistake it would have been to sell it at what I was asking for.

#2148762 - 09/12/13 01:00 PM Re: Living with a Concert Grand [Re: Swarth]
pianoloverus Offline

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: Swarth
Originally Posted By: pianoloverus

The truth is I rescued the piano from certain destruction and my original plan was to rebuild it and donate it to my church. They didn't want it. It wasn't much of a decision. If I was able to sell it I had another piano I wanted purchase, if not the worst that could happen is I'm stuck with a 9 foot CC2 that will hold it's value well over my costs for many years. What I learned most of all is what a mistake it would have been to sell it at what I was asking for.
Are you the poster who found this piano is some shack on a mountain a while ago and then ran a contest(with organic coffee as the prize for the first PW poster who could guess the piano from some clues?

#2148782 - 09/12/13 01:59 PM Re: Living with a Concert Grand [Re: Swarth]
ando Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
I was waiting the whole video to hear some thunderous bass notes - but they never came! It's a lovely piano though.

#2148837 - 09/12/13 03:23 PM Re: Living with a Concert Grand [Re: Swarth]
Chopinlover49 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NY and NC
Looks like you got yourself a heck of a nice piano!

#2149370 - 09/13/13 11:30 AM Re: Living with a Concert Grand [Re: ando]
Swarth Offline

Originally Posted By: ando
I was waiting the whole video to hear some thunderous bass notes - but they never came! It's a lovely piano though.

No thundering bass and while it can thunder the bass balances with the rest of the piano. You almost have to coax it out to be more assertive. When you call for it, the presence of 9 feet of bass strings pretty much envelopes you.

#2149553 - 09/13/13 03:39 PM Re: Living with a Concert Grand [Re: Swarth]
Mwm Offline
500 Post Club Member

Verum non modo perceptionem

#2149603 - 09/13/13 05:16 PM Re: Living with a Concert Grand [Re: Swarth]
Dwscamel Offline

I think it sounds warm. Of course, I liked your playing a lot too.

I agree that being stuck with a concert grand isn't the worst thing in the world, though I'm probably biased because I'd love to adopt some strays myself smile.

#2150003 - 09/14/13 11:58 AM Re: Living with a Concert Grand [Re: Swarth]
Chopinlover49 Offline
500 Post Club Member

I had a chance two years ago to adopt a Mason-Hamlin CC which needed a lot of work but just didn't think I could afford the total costs. Seeing yours, I get a few pangs of regret for the road not taken, but I think I made the only choice I could. Enjoy your wonderful piano!

#2150007 - 09/14/13 12:00 PM Re: Living with a Concert Grand [Re: Chopinlover49]
Rich Galassini Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia/South Jersey
Originally Posted By: Chopinlover49
I had a chance two years ago to adopt a Mason-Hamlin CC which needed a lot of work but just didn't think I could afford the total costs. Seeing yours, I get a few pangs of regret for the road not taken, but I think I made the only choice I could. Enjoy your wonderful piano!

Ummm... I don't think you could place a 9 ft. in the space your 7 ft. occupies. Do you?
Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Get Cunningham Piano Email Updates

#2156541 - 09/23/13 11:46 PM Re: Living with a Concert Grand [Re: Rich Galassini]
NFexec Offline

Loc: NE Ohio
I'm used to M&H's sounding somewhat more bold and projecting than yours. It almost sounds like the hammers are undersized or purposefully voiced for a more mellow tone. Yes? No? As you say, it may be the room and microphone... but I have to ask: You mentioned a hard time selling it. Was the piano that much out of tune when auditioned by prospects? My guess is that with a few more tunings and maybe another touch up voicing session it will be a very nice instrument.

Doug

#2156734 - 09/24/13 09:29 AM Re: Living with a Concert Grand [Re: Swarth]
Barry1963 Offline

Loc: Nashville, Tennessee
listening to it right now, very nice !!
currently Alfreds book #1
Hallet & Davis Co , spinet

#2156738 - 09/24/13 09:42 AM Re: Living with a Concert Grand [Re: Rich Galassini]
Chopinlover49 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Rich;

At the time, I still lived exclusively in New York and had a large place for it. Don't now, though.

#2156845 - 09/24/13 01:20 PM Re: Living with a Concert Grand [Re: NFexec]
Swarth Offline

Originally Posted By: NFexec
I'm used to M&H's sounding somewhat more bold and projecting than yours. It almost sounds like the hammers are undersized or purposefully voiced for a more mellow tone. Yes? No? As you say, it may be the room and microphone... but I have to ask: You mentioned a hard time selling it. Was the piano that much out of tune when auditioned by prospects? My guess is that with a few more tunings and maybe another touch up voicing session it will be a very nice instrument.

Doug

When the one person who bothered to even look at the piano auditioned it at the shop it was closer than it is now. It has been less than a month now since the initial in home tuning and it has drifted almost as bad as it was before. The strings are starting to stretch out and you can start to feel the difference in the hammers, which yes, we chose the Abel natural felt which are very soft. I'll tune it again probably in November after the weather changes and the room treatment is finished. No voicing is planned until things stabilize, which appears might be a while. While it feels a little "Squishy" at times, the piano can project quite well.

#2157063 - 09/24/13 08:12 PM Re: Living with a Concert Grand [Re: Swarth]
laguna_greg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: guess where in CA and WA
Swarth,

That is going to turn into a FABULOUS sound!!!

...and I never use the word "fabulous"...

Just give it time to settle and play in. You won't be sorry. Whoever did the work did a wonderful job already, and the "voice" has not even matured yet!

1919 Mason & Hamlin AA
1931 Bechstein C
http://www.triangleassociates-us.com/about_us (my day job)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorothy_Taubman (a recent article I wrote about one of my teachers)

#2168726 - 10/20/13 12:06 AM Re: Living with a Concert Grand [Re: laguna_greg]
PhilipInChina Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: China
When deciding how well one of a selection of pianos would fit into my music room I did a simple test. I cut a piece of plexiglass to a 1:20 scale size of my music room. I then cut some pieces of card at a 1:20 scale of the 3 pianos I was considering and positioned them where I might want them. (I also cut one to represent a 9' grand- and realised that that would be just too much).

All you need to do is all measurements of the room and piano are in metres. Then multiply by 5 and that gives you the model length but in centimetres.

It gives you a really good visual idea of how things fit.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
LAST CALL - Piano Newsletter Ideas!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
98 registered (angga888, AndrewJCW, AmateurBob, A Guy, 27 invisible), 1286 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75498 Members
42 Forums
156113 Topics
2292528 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Need advice on buying a Yamaha Disklavier
by Lady
Today at 01:17 AM
Surge protection?
by TX-Bluebonnet
Today at 12:01 AM
Opening up an old Piano
by musicNow
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Unusual Big Key Depth Yamaha Motif Xs7
by Ivan Jochner
Yesterday at 10:55 PM
Yamaha P255
by pianist.ame
Yesterday at 09:12 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission