Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 3 of 25 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 24 25 >
Topic Options
#2159412 - 09/28/13 11:00 PM Re: Should There Be A Standard? [Re: OperaTenor]
rxd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: London, England
Between repeats and different timings of the three PBS stations I could recieve PHC seemed to be available all weekend on one station or another. Like QI here, it's on one station in repeats twice most nights, sometimes a whole night of it.

Eschew obfuscation.

(ad PTG 568) Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
#2160619 - 10/01/13 09:49 PM Re: Should There Be A Standard? [Re: OperaTenor]
Gary Fowler Offline

There is already a Standard. It's A-440 and Equal Temperment. Other pitches and temperments are fun to play around with on your own time. But you are paid, as a technician to do the standard tuning!Enough said

#2160637 - 10/01/13 10:38 PM Re: Should There Be A Standard? [Re: OperaTenor]
RonTuner Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicagoland
That might be all you get paid for, but I also get paid to make the piano a conduit for musical expression - which means for my clients, hardly ever placing strict ET on a piano. Oh, and depending on the frequency of tuning and the humidity in the room, I also get paid to float the pitch somewhere between 438 and 442 or so...

Ron Koval

my piano videos:
http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=drwoodwind

#2160661 - 10/01/13 11:36 PM Re: Should There Be A Standard? [Re: OperaTenor]
Gary Fowler Offline

Ron, Exactly! I will float the pitch whichever way the customer wants and pays me to float it .(remember, the customer is always right, even when they're not)

#2160668 - 10/01/13 11:48 PM Re: Should There Be A Standard? [Re: OperaTenor]
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
Floating the pitch does not work for me. More notes are at pitch than off. Admittedly, the climate is not harsh around here.

#2160675 - 10/02/13 12:10 AM Re: Should There Be A Standard? [Re: Gary Fowler]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Rockford, IL
Originally Posted By: Gary Fowler
Ron, Exactly! I will float the pitch whichever way the customer wants and pays me to float it .(remember, the customer is always right, even when they're not)

Tuners are not always right. Even when they think they are. The best ones often are. Even when they think they aren't. 'Nuff said. wink

#2160693 - 10/02/13 01:20 AM Re: Should There Be A Standard? [Re: Cinnamonbear]
OperaTenor Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sandy Eggo, California
Originally Posted By: Cinnamonbear

Tuners are not always right. Even when they think they are. The best ones often are. Even when they think they aren't. 'Nuff said. wink

Ooooh. That's gonna leave a mark...

#2161420 - 10/03/13 09:15 PM Re: Should There Be A Standard? [Re: OperaTenor]
Gary Fowler Offline

Opera, THE STADARD is a-440, and Equal Temperment. If a customer(usually this is one of those "smartest man in the room" types), insist I tune his paino to something LESS than the STANDARD, then I will give it my best shot. However the dude is going to pay out the rear for me to spend the extra time required to de-tune his piano

#2161423 - 10/03/13 09:23 PM Re: Should There Be A Standard? [Re: Gary Fowler]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Opera, THE STADARD is a-440, and Equal Temperment. If a customer(usually this is one of those "smartest man in the room" types), insist I tune his paino to something LESS than the STANDARD, then I will give it my best shot. However the dude is going to pay out the rear for me to spend the extra time required to de-tune his piano

Amazing - Congratulations for knowing that that there is a STADARD for paino and it is a-440. You have proven you know nothing about opera or temperament.

BTW - Haven't you been warned before about not listing your professional affiliation?

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2161427 - 10/03/13 09:29 PM Re: Should There Be A Standard? [Re: OperaTenor]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Also, is a-440 some strange way of indicating Ab?

#2161445 - 10/03/13 10:04 PM Re: Should There Be A Standard? [Re: Minnesota Marty]
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
Originally Posted By: Minnesota Marty

Amazing - Congratulations for knowing that that there is a STADARD for paino and it is a-440. You have proven you know nothing about opera or temperament.

Well, there are certainly standards for spelling "STANDARD", "Temperament", and "piano"! smile

#2161481 - 10/03/13 11:43 PM Re: Should There Be A Standard? [Re: OperaTenor]
Gary Fowler Offline

Be a real Technician. Learn to tune by ear. Learn to set an Equal Temperment. And anything other than A440 is simply lame

#2161487 - 10/04/13 12:09 AM Re: Should There Be A Standard? [Re: OperaTenor]
Gary Fowler Offline

If you can't set a temperment by ear, you are a wannabe tuner. It's no more complicated than that

#2161652 - 10/04/13 09:09 AM Re: Should There Be A Standard? [Re: OperaTenor]
RonTuner Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Gary, that might have been the case a generation ago, but really isn't a reflection of reality in this time.

While there are those that learn something once and never see the need to expand, there are others that are eager to improve by finding things to learn and explore - - those are the real techs...

Ron Koval

my piano videos:

#2161677 - 10/04/13 10:14 AM Re: Should There Be A Standard? [Re: OperaTenor]
2000 Post Club Member

Oh yeah? Then what does that make me??? Huh??? wink

#2161678 - 10/04/13 10:15 AM Re: Should There Be A Standard? [Re: OperaTenor]
bkw58 Offline

Silver Supporter until December 19, 2014

Loc: Conway, AR USA
Standards are dictated by the needs of the market. Markets vary. Markets change. Businesses that fail to recognize this and lead (or at least adapt) accordingly usually go belly-up.

#2161699 - 10/04/13 11:02 AM Re: Should There Be A Standard? [Re: OperaTenor]
RonTuner Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: OperaTenor

That would make you a tech that believed his career was ended, only to try something new that allowed you to re-enter the biz!!

(or it might make you a bazootie-head, at this point, I'm not really sure... crazy )

Ron Koval

my piano videos:

#2161708 - 10/04/13 11:29 AM Re: Should There Be A Standard? [Re: OperaTenor]
Minnesota Marty Offline

I think there was a slight misunderstanding of who was addressing whom. I read Jim's reply to be addressed to Mr. Fowler. It can become confusing when the comment isn't specifically directed or a quote is included.

Standards seem to be flouted as Mr. Fowler refuses to acknowledge his professional affiliation in his signature line. As a pianist, I could make exactly the same statement. As far as learning from experience is concerned, he seems to not have yet learned the proper spelling of "temperament."

#2161725 - 10/04/13 12:21 PM Re: Should There Be A Standard? [Re: OperaTenor]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Rockford, IL
[...] Ooooh. That's gonna leave a mark... [...]

I doubt it, OpTen.

Here's a story: I have a friend who happens to be a real toughie of the bar fighting variety. He's mellowed a bit with age, but still... Truth be told, he has a very big, and very hard cranium. It is readily apparent, because he shaves his head. Anyway, being theater dads, we were working on building a set for a production. He was the boss. I was the painter. We were having an argument about color and pattern--it got pretty heated, but then, before it came to blows, I realized what I was up against. I said, "Even if I *could* hit you hard enough to ring your bell, I know it wouldn't make any difference." He smiled and said, "Your right."

Well, at least I was right about something.

#2161750 - 10/04/13 01:45 PM Re: Should There Be A Standard? [Re: OperaTenor]
rysowers Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, WA
To Mr. Gary Fowler,

First of all, I can sympathize with your position: ET is the way to go in most cases, and is obviously the generally accepted standard in our industry. But you must realize that it is not so black and white. As Ron pointed out earlier, there is equal temperament and then there is EQUAL TEMPERAMENT.

Have you taken the Piano Technician Guild Tuning exam? If not, how do you know how accurate your temperament really is? Do you think you could score 100%? Very few people do. And even at 100% with the one cent tolerance it won't be an *EXACT* equal temperament.

Are your temperaments 100% accurate within a 1 cent tolerance? How about a .5 or even .2 tolerance? (I think anything beyond .2 cents is beyond normal human perception). Each technician decides how refined to make their ET based on experience, skill, and circumstances.

So we have to accept the fact that if ET is the target, we will always fall short of it to some degree. The good news is it doesn't really matter. What matters is that it *sounds* like equal temperament: gradually progressing 3rds, 6ths, and 10ths, 5ths that beat under one second, fourths that beat around one second, and pure sounding octaves.

As far as A440 being the ONLY pitch to tune for, you are simply not correct. Some professional orchestras ask for 441, 442, or even higher. Bosendorfer's standard is A=443. This quote is from their website: "The pianos are manufactured in the factory at a tuning pitch of A443 Hertz, however it may be altered between A440 Hertz and A445 Hertz according to need."

In regards to tuners who don't tune aurally being "wannabes" - that's harsh. Although I share your sentiment to some degree, there are some ETD tuners who do very well. I believe the ones who are successful do use some aural checks as part of their work. So maybe we can edit your statement to "technicians who only use an ETD and have no aural skills are wannabees! smile

There are some who will say any tuner who hasn't passed the PTG tuning exam is a wannabe. But we don't want to beat that dead horse again... tiki

I also encourage you to avoid sounding too much like a broken record on the forums. It can get tiring, and if anything it detracts from your argument. You sound like you are committed to quality work and have built a successful business. I hope we can continue to learn from your experiences.
www.pianova.net

#2161753 - 10/04/13 01:51 PM Re: Should There Be A Standard? [Re: OperaTenor]
rysowers Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, WA
Here is another interesting discussion on pitch from a violin site:
http://www.violinist.com/discussion/response.cfm?ID=11273
www.pianova.net

#2161789 - 10/04/13 04:02 PM Re: Should There Be A Standard? [Re: RonTuner]
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: RonTuner

That would make you a tech that believed his career was ended, only to try something new that allowed you to re-enter the biz!!

(or it might make you a bazootie-head, at this point, I'm not really sure... crazy )

Ron Koval

Guilty as charged!

#2161825 - 10/04/13 05:24 PM Re: Should There Be A Standard? [Re: OperaTenor]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
The thing I believe is that people that cannot listen to intervals while tuning are talking of a so different thing that the discussion is useless.

Aint a question of ET or no, basically, but how that ET is tuned, how much enjoyeable it is when playing.

I can understand why aural tuners are so abrubt .

To make a perfect tuning with an EDT there ar refinements to be done. Most of the time the tuners do not make them, simply because it would be too costly.

The aural tuners can perceive what is wanted, tune it the best they can , and leave some mistakes orallow the piano to move somehow. The detection of an annoying interval is times fastr by ear, but the leeway is larger.

Then if one tune constantly with ETDs, he may even forget how the intervals are listened to, what is their ADN, how that feels. :

Numerous samples on videos of the result, sometime on recordings too.

Very often, the first octave is not musically enjoyable due to compromizing

ALso, knowing how to build a temperament allow to correct tunings very fast

Here is what was mean as ET in 1954

http://www.deezer.com/track/4109378

#2161830 - 10/04/13 05:33 PM Re: Should There Be A Standard? [Re: rysowers]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: rysowers
Here is another interesting discussion on pitch from a violin site:
http://www.violinist.com/discussion/response.cfm?ID=11273

That is interesting, with witnessing of many famous orchestras in US tuning to 442.

The best answer is that it gives a sharper tone to strings while not changing the winds volume, so the balance is better in favor of strings. Plausible.

Edited by Olek (10/04/13 05:41 PM)

#2161956 - 10/05/13 12:24 AM Re: Should There Be A Standard? [Re: Gary Fowler]
DoelKees Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
Be a real Technician. Learn to tune by ear. Learn to set an Equal Temperment. And anything other than A440 is simply lame

My troll detector is beeping.

Kees

#2161999 - 10/05/13 05:34 AM Re: Should There Be A Standard? [Re: DoelKees]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: DoelKees

Kees

No, if something is worth fighting for is real tuners learning to listen.
This is not because a less trained or not so much "pianistic" tuner will not obtain accepteable tunings with the help of ETD, way better than if he tune by ear without enough mastering.

But because this psuh the eventual tuners to a trap where their musical taste is modified in the end.

And loosing that part of the trade would be a real bad thing.

Sensitive tuners are more frequent today (my impression) in the part of the world I leave, because the training is better , things are better explained, but reducing tuning to the respect of even intervals and having that judged by a software, is a real mistake.

Reintroducing differences in intervals size without being able to judge those ones when tuning is also a big one.

It sound evident to me that the light WT sound better than the machine driven ET, more surprise for the ears, mistakes not so apparent, more "tension/release" effects, but the warmness of a good ET tuning done by a sensitive aural tuner contains all that yet, plus an equilibrium sensation that pianists like.

EDT tuners DO NOT check intervals, the machines do not allow that unless you stop notes recognizing features and you move the notes one by one yourself. (plus the "precision" is too much, the tuner must have trained ears and at some point the ETD agrees with them +-)

NO ETD can judge the "energy" or the "activity" of intervals.

They only can show that some partials are not lining. Do we want partials to line ? which ones ? on what string (strings differ in length often in the same unison and that on many pianos) How does it sound when all 3 strings are tuned together ? what is the interval activity at that point ?

After some time they purely stand by what the machine propose. Unless they took the time to refine the computed tuning and record it this is a generic thing, not human, not musical, and slightly uncomfortable for that reason !

Now that experienced / concert tuners have a machine in their tool box is less rare than one think. It may serve to put a tuning skeleton on pianos badly out of tune, help for pitch precision , and for other occasions.

But it is not the same that tuners that cannot gain enough confidence in themselves and stop trying.

Basically I humbly suggest that the pin and wire setting are difficult to learn and not properly explained (or explained in so different ways that the fundamentals are not clear to the tuner very often) Pianos reacting differently in different sections does not help to gain a method.

Lack of good samples to look at, lack of masters to show the apprentice, is a real problem.

Low level exigence from the audience is another.

Edited by Olek (10/05/13 05:40 AM)

#2162050 - 10/05/13 09:19 AM Re: Should There Be A Standard? [Re: DoelKees]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Originally Posted By: DoelKees

This particular poster is dropping hit-and-runs in the Piano Forum as well. Since he refuses to list any professional affiliation in his sig line, though he claims to be a tuner within his postings, I question his credibility also.

#2162053 - 10/05/13 09:25 AM Re: Should There Be A Standard? [Re: OperaTenor]
bkw58 Offline

"Pride cometh before the fall"

I was rather proud of tuning exclusively aural. That is, until being humbled by an entire stage crew showing up late and during tuning time and with less than two hours till show time. Seeing my dilemma, the stage manager pulled a small electronic gizmo out of his case, the likes of which I'd never seen. "What's that?" I asked. "An electronic tuner," he replied. "How do you use it?" I asked. "Think I should call someone else?" he asked?

"Yeah."

It's best to learn both aural and ETD. You'll always have the other to fall back on.

#2162068 - 10/05/13 10:32 AM Re: Should There Be A Standard? [Re: OperaTenor]
2000 Post Club Member

Bob, OT, but I just noticed the link at the bottom of your sig. How long has this been around?

#2162199 - 10/05/13 04:12 PM Re: Should There Be A Standard? [Re: OperaTenor]
bkw58 Offline

Bob, OT, but I just noticed the link at the bottom of your sig. How long has this been around?

Thanks, Jim. The piano blog? 2011, I think.

Page 3 of 25 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 24 25 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha UX vs WX
by goldmund
10/25/14 11:34 AM
Need help with chords
by Shirz
10/25/14 07:52 AM
Which are the best forums for piano technicians and DIYers?
by Withindale
10/25/14 03:17 AM
Prelude
by noobpianist90
10/25/14 01:55 AM
Red Striped Screws and Fancy Nuts
by chernobieff
10/24/14 11:57 PM
Who's Online
125 registered (accordeur, Almaviva, alfredo capurso, 0987654321, ajames, 35 invisible), 1606 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76653 Members
42 Forums
158489 Topics
2327575 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission