Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2156885 - 09/24/13 03:01 PM Top Non-Acoustic Yamaha Action?
Dwscamel Offline

I'm looking for a Yamaha digital piano, or stage piano, or console piano, or workstation . . . with the 'best' possible action. (Note: I know that the NU1, N3, and AvantGrand have acoustic actions . . . and maybe some of the Silent Pianos and Diskclavier Players. But I'm not interested in those outfitted with an acoustic action.)

I know that at the low end there's GHS, and then GH is a step up, and then there's NW Stage in the CP1/5 lines.

Are there any other actions? I quickly combed through the Yamaha website, but couldn't find anything else in the digital/stage/console/workstation categories.

Is NW Stage the top-of-the-line action for such categories offered by Yamaha?

Thanks.

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#2156900 - 09/24/13 03:33 PM Re: Top Non-Acoustic Yamaha Action? [Re: Dwscamel]
xorbe Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Mt View, CA
(inb4 pv88 clp990)

You should get your hands on NW-Stage and GH3 first.

#2156902 - 09/24/13 03:34 PM Re: Top Non-Acoustic Yamaha Action? [Re: Dwscamel]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Unless Yamaha have changed things, GH3 is one up from GH. By all accounts, pretty good and solid with modern features. Others will tell you more.

""

#2156933 - 09/24/13 04:40 PM Re: Top Non-Acoustic Yamaha Action? [Re: Dwscamel]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
You need to define 'best'. There is a manufacturers hierarchy, that's one example.

#2156939 - 09/24/13 04:55 PM Re: Top Non-Acoustic Yamaha Action? [Re: peterws]
anotherscott Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: peterws
Unless Yamaha have changed things, GH3 is one up from GH.

GH3 being a triple sensor version of GH.

#2156945 - 09/24/13 04:58 PM Re: Top Non-Acoustic Yamaha Action? [Re: Dwscamel]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
There is a NW action for high-end console/grand models as well. I've never been able to try NW-Stage, but I have played the regular NW and it's very nice indeed. I like it much more than GH3.

NW > GH3 > GH > GHS > soft touch

Is the apparent ranking. If you look at the CLP480 not only does it have NW (not NW-stage) but it has linear grading (rather than groups). The CLP470 has regular NW apparently (groups of weightings).

NW-Stage is likely to be up there as well, but it is different in that it doesn't try as hard to mimic an acoustic. For example the version of it in the CP1 and CP5 is not graded at all. It's a light and quick action featuring only two sensors. It's well-liked around here, intended for the unapologetic digital-focused player. Notice that the new CP4 will feature a graded NW-stage action. We haven't had reviews on it yet from forum members so we will see how it turns out to be.

Edited by gvfarns (09/24/13 05:06 PM)

#2156964 - 09/24/13 05:13 PM Re: Top Non-Acoustic Yamaha Action? [Re: Dwscamel]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vught, The Netherlands
The action used in the CP300 was the best action from Yamaha that I liked.

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#2156970 - 09/24/13 05:17 PM Re: Top Non-Acoustic Yamaha Action? [Re: Dave Horne]
anotherscott Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Dave Horne

GH

But I think it may have felt nicer because of the big solid chassis and the speakers that gave it a realistic vibration as you played it, my favorite thing about boards with internal speakers.

#2156989 - 09/24/13 05:45 PM Re: Top Non-Acoustic Yamaha Action? [Re: spanishbuddha]
Dwscamel Offline

Originally Posted By: spanishbuddha
You need to define 'best'. There is a manufacturers hierarchy, that's one example.

I knew I couldn't define 'best'; no matter what I used to define it, people would disagree with me. I wanted people to do exactly what they did - only what we all can do - and offer their opinions. Of course, most people would probably say they prefer GH to GHS, for example, but I was interested in what individuals think the hierarchy is

I need to try these boards with GH, GH3, NW, and NW-Stage.

#2157014 - 09/24/13 06:15 PM Re: Top Non-Acoustic Yamaha Action? [Re: anotherscott]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vught, The Netherlands
Originally Posted By: anotherscott
Originally Posted By: Dave Horne

GH

But I think it may have felt nicer because of the big solid chassis and the speakers that gave it a realistic vibration as you played it, my favorite thing about boards with internal speakers.

The action in and of itself was, in my opinion, the best from Yamaha. I always used headphones or an external sound system.

The comments from some that the built in speakers provided some sense of realism because of the additional vibration is, in my opinion, self delusional ... but I meant that in the nicest possible way.

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#2157132 - 09/24/13 10:37 PM Re: Top Non-Acoustic Yamaha Action? [Re: Dwscamel]
trandinhnamanh Offline

Loc: Paris, France

#2157134 - 09/24/13 10:38 PM Re: Top Non-Acoustic Yamaha Action? [Re: Dwscamel]
Prof Pizzacotta Offline

I've got a P200, which I think has about the best action on the market -- at least compared to the ones I've tried. The new CP series probably has as good or better action.

If you go used, be aware that Yamaha will provide the parts for repair of some P series piano. Mine was included. The felt in the action either wore quickly or wasn't very good. I always thought my piano was a bit noisy. After a while, it was too much, and I had it repaired last spring. The repair place told me Yamaha had issued a repair recall (whatever its called) and covered the parts. If you find a deal on a P series, check with a certified Yamaha repair facility to see what they can do.

#2157137 - 09/24/13 10:54 PM Re: Top Non-Acoustic Yamaha Action? [Re: trandinhnamanh]
Dwscamel Offline

Originally Posted By: trandinhnamanh

VERY very interesting!

Yamaha's CLP-990 is "too good". It's a secret because we would all just buy it and be satisfied with our instruments (at least for a long time!).

I need to try one in person.

#2157138 - 09/24/13 10:56 PM Re: Top Non-Acoustic Yamaha Action? [Re: Prof Pizzacotta]
Dwscamel Offline

Originally Posted By: Prof Pizzacotta
I've got a P200, which I think has about the best action on the market -- at least compared to the ones I've tried. The new CP series probably has as good or better action.

If you go used, be aware that Yamaha will provide the parts for repair of some P series piano. Mine was included. The felt in the action either wore quickly or wasn't very good. I always thought my piano was a bit noisy. After a while, it was too much, and I had it repaired last spring. The repair place told me Yamaha had issued a repair recall (whatever its called) and covered the parts. If you find a deal on a P series, check with a certified Yamaha repair facility to see what they can do.

I have the lowest-possible end of the P series, the P85. I'd honestly be happy even with the P155, but I'd love to try the 200 and up.

#2157143 - 09/24/13 11:07 PM Re: Top Non-Acoustic Yamaha Action? [Re: trandinhnamanh]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania

Ahh,yes. I forgot about the action. It's going away, unfortunately (or gone) but pretty great. I've also played it and liked it very well.

Natural Keyboard > Linear graded NW > NW > GH3 > GH > GHS > soft touch

That's the ammended action list, I guess.

#2157836 - 09/26/13 06:26 AM Re: Top Non-Acoustic Yamaha Action? [Re: Dwscamel]
joe80 Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

I have a CP-300 and it's great. I wouldn't be without it.

I think the only difference between GH and GH3 is the sensor. The mechanical part of the action is the same. Some of them have a wooden keyboard, I'm not sure how much you gain from that, perhaps it's a bit more solid.

#2157847 - 09/26/13 06:49 AM Re: Top Non-Acoustic Yamaha Action? [Re: Dwscamel]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Dwscamel

VERY very interesting!

Yamaha's CLP-990 is "too good". It's a secret because we would all just buy it and be satisfied with our instruments (at least for a long time!).

I need to try one in person.

@Dwscamel,

Please note that the CLP-990 is now a 12 year old digital as you will have to find a private owner who has one to sell. Someone came forward (here at PW) as that is how I purchased it. It had to to shipped 750+ miles which was quite costly and had some minor damages that needed fixing although everything is now back to proper working order. Had to have the pedal box repaired and also purchased a new power cord and pedal support bolt from Yamaha Parts.

Good luck in your search!

#2157853 - 09/26/13 07:03 AM Re: Top Non-Acoustic Yamaha Action? [Re: Dwscamel]
Michael_99 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada Alberta
Dwscamel, I have read your post, here:

I'm looking for a Yamaha digital piano, or stage piano, or console piano, or workstation . . . with the 'best' possible action. (Note: I know that the NU1, N3, and AvantGrand have acoustic actions . . . and maybe some of the Silent Pianos and Diskclavier Players. But I'm not interested in those outfitted with an acoustic action.)

I know that at the low end there's GHS, and then GH is a step up, and then there's NW Stage in the CP1/5 lines.

Are there any other actions? I quickly combed through the Yamaha website, but couldn't find anything else in the digital/stage/console/workstation categories.

Is NW Stage the top-of-the-line action for such categories offered by Yamaha?

Thanks.

I am not sure what you are looking for.

I have a cheap Yamaha P95 that I think is awesome for only $600 Canadian dollars and I play it all the time. In fact, I think almost all digitals are great to play that have weighted keys. I mean the action of digital pianos are not remotely like an acoustic piano - and that is because digital pianos are not acoustic pianos - but all digital pianos with weighted keys are awesome to play and practice on and make music with.

I mean I have played an AvantGrand digital and it is great but it isn't remotely like an acoustic but it is great to play - but for $12,000 dollars Canadian - who needs to spend that kind of money on a digital to make music or practice the piano. I am blown away by that kind of a price tag for a digital piano but that is because I don't know what is inside that digital that makes it that expensive that I can't see, feel or hear - and I haven't read what anyone has to say about it.

cheers,

I mean my old Yam 3 legged awesome acoustic piano is what it is and it sounds and feels like an acoustic piano because it is an acoustic piano.

Edited by Michael_99 (09/26/13 07:16 AM)

#2157927 - 09/26/13 09:55 AM Re: Top Non-Acoustic Yamaha Action? [Re: Dwscamel]
jarosujo Offline

Loc: Slovakia
Best Yamaha action is Kawai action grin
Pianoteq Standard + Intel NUC DC3217BY + Sennheiser HD598 + Fostex PM0.4n + NI Audio 2

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
102 registered (AndresD, anotherscott, 36251, Al LaPorte, aesop, 30 invisible), 1452 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75581 Members
42 Forums
156278 Topics
2295109 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Help with dynamics
by noobpianist90
Today at 03:53 AM
Using Kawai MP6 faders/knobs with virtual instruments?
by chicolom
Today at 02:35 AM
Coming up with new compositional methods.
by gsmonks
Today at 01:58 AM
Impromptu in A
by Ritzycat
Today at 12:42 AM
what do you think piano teachers about it?
by Maximillyan
Today at 12:15 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission