2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, 12 invisible), 1,815 guests, and 290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#215720 09/30/08 06:44 PM
L
LJC Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Kluurs, I wish I could try your B!

#215721 09/30/08 08:15 PM
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by LJC:
Cont'd- Sorry I had a glitch in my computer---Anyway they told me at the Hall that the piano was owned by a second well known pianist but thought it was a Hede Parkinson. He evidently didnt get the name quite right. BTW where is Chris Robinson from?Is iis Clavier House?

Horowitzian- A few weeks ago I went to Steinway Hall because they had #314503 available for those who wanted to play it. I was given a 15 minute time frame and each of my 2 friends 15 minutes as well. My 2 friends couldnt make it and I asked if I could have their time and yes I could. Then the people who were supposed to come later didnt show. So I had 3 hours to my seld on Horowitz's piano and also spend some time with one of Van Cliburn's Ds in the same room.

PS- Istomin was friends with Horowitz and I often wonder how V.H. liked my piano and what other famous pianists played my piano.
LJC, the next time you get 3 hours with CD314503, you had better call me and bring me along, or else... [Linked Image] Seriously, I'm jealous. Though my local Steinway dealer told me he has gotten into the queue for the next tour... Hmmmm

How did it feel? My dealer told me that they backed off somewhat on Horowitz's weird regulation to make it playable by mere mortals. Is this the case? Does it still sound like it did in its heyday?

BTW, I much enjoyed reading the story on your D.
How does the Horowitz piano compare to yours anyway?

PS- its wonderful that H. & Istomin were friends. If I couldn't have Horowitz's own piano [Linked Image] , I sure would like to have one he might have played a good bit.

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
#215722 09/30/08 09:38 PM
N
N
Originally posted by Horowitzian:
[b] Cont'd- Sorry I had a glitch in my computer---Anyway they told me at the Hall that the piano was owned by a second well known pianist but thought it was a Hede Parkinson. He evidently didnt get the name quite right. BTW where is Chris Robinson from?Is iis Clavier House?

Horowitzian- A few weeks ago I went to Steinway Hall because they had #314503 available for those who wanted to play it. I was given a 15 minute time frame and each of my 2 friends 15 minutes as well. My 2 friends couldnt make it and I asked if I could have their time and yes I could. Then the people who were supposed to come later didnt show. So I had 3 hours to my seld on Horowitz's piano and also spend some time with one of Van Cliburn's Ds in the same room.

PS- Istomin was friends with Horowitz and I often wonder how V.H. liked my piano and what other famous pianists played my piano.
LJC, the next time you get 3 hours with CD314503, you had better call me and bring me along, or else... [Linked Image] Seriously, I'm jealous. Though my local Steinway dealer told me he has gotten into the queue for the next tour... Hmmmm

How did it feel? My dealer told me that they backed off somewhat on Horowitz's weird regulation to make it playable by mere mortals. Is this the case? Does it still sound like it did in its heyday?

[Linked Image] , I sure would like to have one he might have played a good bit. [/b]
I actually lucked out and got to play the Horowitz and Van Cliburn pianos for about an hour. The salesperson I know at Steinway Hall was nice enough to let me stay even longer but unfortunately I had to get back to work. frown

LJC, I'm curious to hear your opinions of the pianos. (Personally, I don't feel as if I have enough basis for comparison to opine in great detail, other than to say I enjoyed the experience.)

#215723 09/30/08 10:13 PM
L
LJC Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
LJC, the next time you get 3 hours with CD314503, you had better call me and bring me along, or else... Seriously, I'm jealous. Though my local Steinway dealer told me he has gotten into the queue for the next tour... Hmmmm

BTW, I much enjoyed reading the story on your D.
How does the Horowitz piano compare to yours anyway?

LJC, I'm curious to hear your opinions of the pianos. (Personally, I don't feel as if I have enough basis for comparison to opine in great detail, other than to say I enjoyed the experience.)

#215724 09/30/08 10:36 PM
L
LJC Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
My error I hit enter by mistake....heres the upshot.....

Actually H. CD314503 will be on Long Island this fall for a new S&S gallery in Huntington. Care to join me? About the regulation, CD 314503 does have a light and fast action. If you read Mohr's book you'll find that Mohr rebuilt the action while Horowitz was still living and also Mohr brought him a brand new D to try that had a heavier action that H. was used to and H. grew to like that piano as much or more than 314503. I believe they changed the keyset on 314 recently. The keys looked new and last time I played it I think it had the ivories but the action felt the same. My guess is that they want to preserve the original keyset. CD 314 really sings and has a powerful almost startling bass. Actually I didnt like the bass when I pounded it, it reminded me of overdriving woofers when I pounded it. When I backed off a little the sound was much nicer. Cd314 has a wonderful singing quality in the treble. I know what H. meant when he said it had a slightly nasal sound. I had no trouble recognizing the sound from the recordings. They also touched up the case a bit, the first time I saw it it looked like no one loved it. It had allot of battle scars. I didnt like the Van Cliburn piano as much it didnt sound as lively. I once played the Van Cliburn piano from the piano bank I thought it was very similar to CD 314...BTW CD 314 has the original sound board, its 65 years old but you would never know it. ...My piano is actually quite different. It has a more soothing sound and the bass doesnt jump out at you like CD 314 although theres no problem getting FFFF and I dont get the feeling like I'm overdriving the bass. The treble is clearer than on a NY D and stronger than most of the NY Ds. THe piano sings more than most NY Ds but CD 314 is exceptional in that department. My action is heavier than CD 314 and the Van Cliburn piano and not quite as quick, it doesnt have the accelerated action. Trills are a little more difficult on my piano. I think the sound on my D is prettier......Well enough of my bloviating. you guys will just have to come over and see for yourselfs.

#215725 09/30/08 11:07 PM
R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Anyway they told me at the Hall that the piano was owned by a second well known pianist but thought it was a Hede Parkinson. He evidently didnt get the name quite right. BTW where is Chris Robinson from?Is iis Clavier House?
Chris Robinson is a rebuilder near Hartford, CT. I've been to his shop once and was really impressed; he also evaluated a piano I was interested in. He has a great reputation as a rebuilder.

What a coincidence that your D is the same one Zaide owned and talked to me about. Small world! (Or at least small NY area pianists' world!)

#215726 10/01/08 12:50 AM
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
My error I hit enter by mistake....heres the upshot.....

Actually H. CD314503 will be on Long Island this fall for a new S&S gallery in Huntington. Care to join me? About the regulation, CD 314503 does have a light and fast action. If you read Mohr's book you'll find that Mohr rebuilt the action while Horowitz was still living and also Mohr brought him a brand new D to try that had a heavier action that H. was used to and H. grew to like that piano as much or more than 314503. I believe they changed the keyset on 314 recently. The keys looked new and last time I played it I think it had the ivories but the action felt the same. My guess is that they want to preserve the original keyset. CD 314 really sings and has a powerful almost startling bass. Actually I didnt like the bass when I pounded it, it reminded me of overdriving woofers when I pounded it. When I backed off a little the sound was much nicer. Cd314 has a wonderful singing quality in the treble. I know what H. meant when he said it had a slightly nasal sound. I had no trouble recognizing the sound from the recordings. They also touched up the case a bit, the first time I saw it it looked like no one loved it. It had allot of battle scars. I didnt like the Van Cliburn piano as much it didnt sound as lively. I once played the Van Cliburn piano from the piano bank I thought it was very similar to CD 314...BTW CD 314 has the original sound board, its 65 years old but you would never know it. ...My piano is actually quite different. It has a more soothing sound and the bass doesnt jump out at you like CD 314 although theres no problem getting FFFF and I dont get the feeling like I'm overdriving the bass. The treble is clearer than on a NY D and stronger than most of the NY Ds. THe piano sings more than most NY Ds but CD 314 is exceptional in that department. My action is heavier than CD 314 and the Van Cliburn piano and not quite as quick, it doesnt have the accelerated action. Trills are a little more difficult on my piano. I think the sound on my D is prettier......Well enough of my bloviating. you guys will just have to come over and see for yourselfs.
Thank you for your analysis!
I have not read Mohr's book, but it's currently on my short list of books & recordings I need to buy. I sure hope my city will be on the piano tour next year....

I'm not anywhere near NY, but if I ever am going to be, I'll send you a PM. [Linked Image]

The "overdriven" bass sound you describe is incidentally one of the reasons I fell in love with the B I have. [Linked Image] But I must confess I like Steinways that are less aggressive sounding too.
My B also "sings" in much the same way you describe CD314 & your own piano. I'll bet this is because of the Hamburg-influenced design changes to the B.

#215727 10/01/08 05:15 PM
L
LJC Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Yes, The new Bs are definately improved. The treble in particular got better. I played a couple of the new ones, I almost bought one actually but decided to buy the D instead.

#215728 10/01/08 05:17 PM
L
LJC Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Joe, Anyway you could put me in touch with Zaidee? I sure would love to go further with my research. I did manage to find her phone number and I left a message but no return call. I also managed to get Mrs, Istomin's e mail when she was working at the school but no reply.

#215729 10/01/08 06:10 PM
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
LJC, another few questions about your piano.

I notice in the pics that you have baseboard heat. Does this negatively affect the piano in any way? Or is it always off in this room?

How do you control humidity?

How often do you have it tuned/regulated/voiced?

BTW, I LOVE your piano room. The D just fits in perfectly. It's nice that it is not just an ordinary box-shaped room, but has a unique shape. I like the simple decorations that do not compete with the piano's gorgeous looks.

Someday, I will upgrade to a D, but I'm going to have trouble deciding between NY and Hamburg!

#215730 10/01/08 09:18 PM
L
LJC Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
H,- Hi again. The baseboard heat is actually not as close to the piano as it looks in the photo and does not seem to have an effect on the piano. I was lucky with the shape of the room it works well with gigantic pianos. I use a Sears whole room humidifier rated for a 3000 Sq foot house. The pinao room is closed off and it runs 24/7 in the dead of winter to keep 50% RH in winter. During a real cold snap I cant even keep 50% and it can drop below 45% at times. The house has central air so usually the room is about right but sometimes climbs to the high 50s. Right now is tough on L.I. because its still humid but its cooler so the Central air is letting the humidity get too high (up to 64% at times)and the sound is less clear as a result. Tomorrow is supposed to be drier so when we dry out I'll call my tuner. He comes every 2 months or so. I'd like to follow Horowitz's example and tune once a month..maybe when my son graduates college. The D was regulated and voiced when I got it 3 years ago and I had Alex Markovic Steinway head concert tech voice and regulate once since. Alex is the Hall's main Hamburg guy. As for moving up to a D well its not as big a difference as my moving up from a Yamaha C3. Although the C3 was really a fine piano and one of the best in that size range I think. IF price is a consideration the Hamburg is way more money. 111K and about 140K for a new D. (I was lucky with the price too)

#215731 10/01/08 09:48 PM
My first Steinway was an heirloom A -- 1910 -- quite a step up from the Acrosonic I was playing as a loaner by my rebuilder who turned into a butcher.

Played dozens of pianos when looking. Went to all the NY stores and tried mightily to love the rebuilt and new Masons (grew up playing a Mason). Played all the rebuilt Steinways could find and liked none of them.

Then went to a new Steinway store on Long Island and found this A that had the tone, the touch (and great ribbon mahagony) and decided after months of looking this was it.

Then played Horowitz' piano and found could do things with the base notes and longer keys couldn't do with the A. Played all the B's could find in the NYC area and lo and behold found a great one (New York) at the LI store (again). Of course went to the Hall and the Factory.

As I've stated before, Steinways built or rebuilt by Steinway sounded different to my ear.

I used the upgrade feature to full advantage after 2 years with the A and never looked back. By then was delighted with the Steinway sound and the touch of the pianos I had selected. The B is an ebony for obvious reasons.

Now 3+ years later, the piano has gone through two moves and is as happy as ever in Florida.

2005 Steinway B
#215732 10/01/08 10:28 PM
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
H,- Hi again. The baseboard heat is actually not as close to the piano as it looks in the photo and does not seem to have an effect on the piano. I was lucky with the shape of the room it works well with gigantic pianos. I use a Sears whole room humidifier rated for a 3000 Sq foot house. The pinao room is closed off and it runs 24/7 in the dead of winter to keep 50% RH in winter. During a real cold snap I cant even keep 50% and it can drop below 45% at times. The house has central air so usually the room is about right but sometimes climbs to the high 50s. Right now is tough on L.I. because its still humid but its cooler so the Central air is letting the humidity get too high (up to 64% at times)and the sound is less clear as a result. Tomorrow is supposed to be drier so when we dry out I'll call my tuner. He comes every 2 months or so. I'd like to follow Horowitz's example and tune once a month..maybe when my son graduates college. The D was regulated and voiced when I got it 3 years ago and I had Alex Markovic Steinway head concert tech voice and regulate once since. Alex is the Hall's main Hamburg guy. As for moving up to a D well its not as big a difference as my moving up from a Yamaha C3. Although the C3 was really a fine piano and one of the best in that size range I think. IF price is a consideration the Hamburg is way more money. 111K and about 140K for a new D. (I was lucky with the price too)
Thanks for the info, LJC

About a D, it would take a truly incredible D (NY or Hamburg) to make me upgrade. My dealer maintains a couple of C&A D's for my state, and I played one of them side-by-side with my B. Guess what? I really found my B to be the more satisfying instrument sound-wise. Action-wise, the D was a little better (not a lot better, though!) due to the longer keys.

Unfortunately, my piano room is my living room and it can't be closed off (big opening into rest of house), so I rely on the Dampp-Chaser & keeping the lid closed when not in use for humidity control. But it works, and the piano stays quite stable. Though I am in dry climate, we have a monsoon season where the air stays very wet, and I noticed that the piano lost some clarity. The D-C heating rods were working overtime, but they tamed the humidity enough to keep the piano reasonably stable. Now that its drying out, the piano definitely sounds better.
My dream house would have a piano room like yours that can be completely closed off.

#215733 10/02/08 08:07 PM
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
I ambled over to my Steinway dealer today and had some interesting experiences. They had one new B and three C&A pianos, two D's and one B.

I played the new B first. I was not impressed. Sounded rather thin and cold, though quite a lot of prep had gone into it. The salesman told me (and I agree with him) that my B is *much* better. In fact, he told me a couple of people had passed on the new one already.

Then I played one of the D's. I was really pleasantly surprised at how much like my B it was. The lowest bass was better, but otherwise it truly sounded the same. I believe it was not the same D I mentioned above. I played for about an hour on the D and I didn't regret my B for a second, they were so similar. In fact, my piano sounds better in the "killer octave" area. It was fun to spend time on a nice concert grand, though! [Linked Image]

The C&A B didn't even hold a candle to mine. They told me that they have put a lot of prep into this B w/o satisfactory results. It sounded okay, of course, but it fell short of incredible. I did not have time to play the other D.

I have therefore concluded that my B is one of those few "incredible" Steinways.

#215734 10/02/08 09:47 PM
L
LJC Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
If you want a D just keep trying them as they come along. When you find the right one you'll know it. LAst time I was at Steinway Hall a few weeks ago I tried about 6 Ds. There werent any C&As available. One D was not a good one The others were just average. I dont kw much prep went into any of them. There were 2 Henry Z Steinway edition Ds there. They were the 2 best ones and one of them was killer and the other almost as good but they need to get the really good one out the door before any of those others will sell. THe HZ Steinway D is about 200K!!!!!

#215735 10/03/08 12:21 AM
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
If you want a D just keep trying them as they come along. When you find the right one you'll know it. LAst time I was at Steinway Hall a few weeks ago I tried about 6 Ds. There werent any C&As available. One D was not a good one The others were just average. I dont kw much prep went into any of them. There were 2 Henry Z Steinway edition Ds there. They were the 2 best ones and one of them was killer and the other almost as good but they need to get the really good one out the door before any of those others will sell. THe HZ Steinway D is about 200K!!!!!
[Linked Image] 200K??!! They better be good for that price; REALLY good.

I'm not serious on a D right now, but I figure it never hurts to be on the look out in case a really good one becomes available. Of course I want one (who doesn't?), but I'm afraid it will have to wait.

I remain completely satisfied with the B. The piano is superb and it fit my budget & room. I actually do have room for a D, but the living room would definitely have to become the piano room, which I'd rather not do for now.

Thank you for your advice on auditioning D's. I will play every D I can get my hands on if/when I do decide to seriously pursue purchasing one.
[Linked Image]

PS- Like I said above, I am not near NY, but if for any reason I am ever going to be (maybe shopping for a D someday... [Linked Image] ), I will send you a PM if it's all right with you. I would love to get together to discuss/play/look at fine gigantic pianos if I ever make it back east!

#215736 10/03/08 12:48 AM
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D

#215737 10/03/08 01:19 AM
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by daveferris:
The original owner of my D made two separate trips to Steinway Hall from the Midwest before deciding on his purchase. The second time I think they had about eight to choose from.
He told me he chose the "darkest" sounding one. Lucky for me we are both "jazz guys" and have similar taste.

I've had mine a bit over two years and the sound is very good. However my beef is the unfinished state of the piano has a whole and the miscellaneous key noises coming from the action. It's sluggish on repetitions and has an overall inconsistency in the playing. There are also problems related to the dampers.

I think I have close to $2500 in setup, voicing, minor regulation and tunings in the two + years that I've owned the piano.
If I can get these action and damper issues ironed out I think it will be a fine piano. I'm just a bit frustrated though after coming from the Yamaha S6 (10 yrs.) and a C7E (12 yrs.). Both close to perfect pianos with never a seconds problem related to the action and dampers.

These Steinways are a different breed for sure.
Yours definitely would benefit from attention by a top quality concert tech. Steinways always tend to require quite a bit of work to bring out their best qualities. All the issues you mention should be easy fixes anyway.

Once the small issues are ironed out by a good tech, Steinways (particularly the B & D, but all the models in general) can be truly incredible. [Linked Image]

PS- The C&A D I mentioned above plays with exceptional smoothness and quick repetition across the compass, so your piano has a lot of as yet untapped potential in the action department!

#215738 10/03/08 01:45 AM
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D

#215739 10/03/08 01:05 PM
I bought a 1909 model O from a local tech/tuner who had it completely rebuilt by a noted rebuilder 10 years prior. The piano just sings! I tried new Estonias, Yamahas, Kawais, and many other but kept coming back to this one. It was kept in a reading room at a local Christian Science Church, where a handful of people played it regularly. When he sells the piano, he brings another one in. On top of that, I payed 10k less than what I could have gotten the Estonia for.

Frank III
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission