2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (johnesp, drumour, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, 7 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Kreisler #2156101 09/23/13 11:23 AM
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
I'm revisiting this topic, now that teachers have had a chance to get "reacquainted" with students. Perhaps some of you who had students attend camps/workshops or whatever they're calling them these days, could offer up some comments. Thanks.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by John v.d.Brook
Just visited one of my students at a summer piano camp. It was like a week of concentrated masterclasses for her, and I'm absolutely delighted with the polish the team accomplished.

My questions to teachers are:

- Do you encourage your students to attend summer music camps?

- Do you prepare repertoire with the camp in mind?

- Do you find the camps beneficial or do you feel threatened by having your students exposed to other teachers?

Feel free to add to my list if you like. Thanks.

I am lucky if I can get my students to continue lessons with me in the summer, John. If I can even manage to get that, I feel like I am ahead.

This gets back to "disposable income".

Gary D. #2156358 09/23/13 06:29 PM
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
My clientele has shifted dramatically over the past 15 years. I didn't realize it, and hadn't been focused on it. Of course, I live in a guberment town, where most of the money coming in is due to taxes. I guess they only stop when people are dead broke. That may be sooner than we realize! None-the-less, I still like to give students who come from families with disposable income, every benefit I can, including places where they grow and blossom. Every depression has an end and we'll need good teachers when it happens. I'm wondering now (way OT) how teachers managed during the Great Depression. Most have passed now, so we really can't ask them. Too bad.

Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by John v.d.Brook
My clientele has shifted dramatically over the past 15 years. I didn't realize it, and hadn't been focused on it. Of course, I live in a guberment town, where most of the money coming in is due to taxes. I guess they only stop when people are dead broke. That may be sooner than we realize! None-the-less, I still like to give students who come from families with disposable income, every benefit I can, including places where they grow and blossom. Every depression has an end and we'll need good teachers when it happens. I'm wondering now (way OT) how teachers managed during the Great Depression. Most have passed now, so we really can't ask them. Too bad.

John, perhaps the changes did not hit as soon and as hard as they did where I live.

Remember, when the "Great Recession" started, it slammed us immediately in South Florida. As I remember your area is much more rural.

There are huge differences between more rural areas and very metropolitan areas.

There is also the sad fact that in my area we have many of the worst problems you have AND that people have in major cities, but without the culture.

This, quite obviously, is not NYC.

Is it all getting worse? I'm not sure. Right now it surely FEELS like it.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Just an aside here, bu there are adult summer music camps too. The one I am familiar with is Summerkeys in Maine, but there are others. I've been three times, and had great fun and learned a lot each time. I do prepare some pieces to work on before I go, with the help of my teacher. I only go for a week, so I don't make a lot of progress in that time. I think the benefits are performing and sharing experiences with the other adults, and the motivation to keep working and improving the rest of the year. I look forward to going again, which gives me a goal to work toward.

I don't think my teacher is bothered or intimidated that I go, quite the opposite. She helps me prepare, and we go over my week at "camp" when I see her after I get back. Of course, being an adult, I can appreciate that there are different ways to do things and differing opinions on how things should be done, something that might confuse a young student. I guess it's good when my at-home teacher and the music camp teacher both tell me I have the same problems!

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S #2158069 09/26/13 02:28 PM
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Sam, thank you for your comment and insight. I was thinking that more teachers get their students involved in other musical activities, such as camps/workshops, then apparently is the case.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission