2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, crab89, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 12 invisible), 2,045 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Orange Soda King
....The first section and the beginning of the trio is incredibly easy in comparison...

I always would quibble about anything of any difficulty being called "easy" in any respect, but even besides that: The 'beginning of the trio' is also incredibly difficult, if you want to be playing it with anything approaching the lyricism and soul with which Horowitz played it. Just playing the notes and hammering out the section? Sure, I suppose that's not that hard. But that's not what you want to do, is it?

BTW, if you do just hammer it out, you'll be having lots of company, like almost everyone besides Vlad. smile

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Mark_C
Originally Posted by Orange Soda King
....The first section and the beginning of the trio is incredibly easy in comparison...

I always would quibble about anything of any difficulty being called "easy" in any respect, but even besides that: The 'beginning of the trio' is also incredibly difficult, if you want to be playing it with anything approaching the lyricism and soul with which Horowitz played it. Just playing the notes and hammering out the section? Sure, I suppose that's not that hard. But that's not what you want to do, is it?

BTW, if you did just hammer it out, you'd have lots of company. smile

Especially the last few measures of that section. Some tricky passage work going on there. Certainly, compared to what follows, it's easier, which I think is what OSK was getting at, but it's definitely not easy.

Mark and I have talked about this piece in the past. He gave me some great advice about a couple of minor tenths that I haven't forgotten. smile

OSK, do you modulate the last section into A major, or leave it in A-flat major?

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Well, I've always been able to wade through chords, octaves, and leaps pretty well, so that's why the first section came together so quickly. The leaps at the beginning of the trio aren't that bad to me (I can handle leaps with finesse, too!) and that allowed me to focus on the shaping of the phrases and evenness of tone from the beginning of working on it.

Of course, I would never call any part of this piece "easy," and would agree that the beginning of the trio is more difficult than the E-flat major section of the piece (first half), but for me, the piccolo solo sections are way more difficult to just physically play... Let along worry about the finesse and other musical aspects required.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
And I leave it in A-flat major. smile

P
pv88 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P
Scores update:

Looks like the following link is now available again for anyone wanting the entire PDF file for the "Horowitz Scores" realizations as it had been titled by another person (whom I will not name here - although he is essentially sharing the same file that was compiled by doctor Makoto Natsui, back in the late 80's and 90's) and I would recommend saving the entire file to your computer:

"Horowitz Scores"

Please note that the above link will take a little while in which to load and after it does you can then save the entire 751 page file.

And, here is the link which contains the Horowitz Scores above if you should only want certain selected pieces:

"Index of/scores/horowitz"

Here is the "Parent Directory" link (from the above page) which also contains a multitude of scores, A-Z, of other composers and arrangers:

"Index of/scores"

Disclaimer:

Even though the scores are free to keep in your private collection please do not distribute or attempt to sell them to anyone else as this is the primary reason that the Horowitz Estate has taken down these links in the past. All of the transcribers that did the realizations wanted to be able to share them among other musicians for private use and study and had no intentions of selling their work.

If you follow my recommendation then the links should remain available for the time being. And, as I am not the owner of the links, please do "save" everything you want right now as it all could be gone tomorrow.

I am glad that I have had this opportunity to share the music!

P
pv88 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P
To everyone:

Be sure to check out the links for scores above as this may be a one time offer and there is no way of knowing how long the links will remain available.*

The complete 751 page "Horowitz Scores" PDF file and the other miscellaneous scores link happens to include everything you might want.

I do recommend saving and/or printing them out while you can.

*Extra note:

I originally did not intend to post any of the scores in this thread however they always had been freely shared by the original owner until the website links were contested by the Horowitz Estate. Since there is only one large file for the Horowitz Scores it would be most prudent to save a copy now.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission