2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (Charles Cohen, Animisha, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 9 invisible), 1,137 guests, and 316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
tamarak Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Hello everyone!
This is my first post, but I've read through a lot of the threads and the people in this group are amazingly knowledgeable! I'm hoping you'll be able to point me in the right direction.

I have a Samick console SU118 from 1990 that's in really good condition. I'd like to sell it and get a less-obtrusive-looking wooden piano. Yes. This trade is all about looks. My parents bought the piano when I was young and it looked great in their house, but a more traditional-looking wooden upright would look better in my home.

My question has 2 parts:
1 - What do you think I could get for my Samick or where would be the best resource to find accurate comps? The original price of the piano in 1993 was $2800. I found a similar piano on craigslist for $1500, but I have no idea if that's realistic or not.

2 - Assuming that I'd want to spend $1000 or less, what's a good "traditional-looking" wood upright that I could be on the lookout for? I'm sure that's not a very good description, but color aside, I like ones that look like this: [Linked Image]

I'm certainly a beginner, but I want it to have at least a similar quality sound to the Samick I already have.(Not that I REALLY am much of a connoisseur)

Sorry if this is a convoluted question...I just wasn't sure where to start and thought you helpful people might be able to assist! I basically just want to get a fair price and a decent piano.

I welcome any and all advice!

Thanks you!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hi Tamarak, and welcome to Piano World!

I'm certainly no expert, nor a dealer, but that piano in the picture does not look like any Samick I've ever seen. Nor is it anywhere near 118 CM, if that is what the SM118 stands for. If I am not mistaken a 118CM piano is about 46" tall. Your piano is lovely, but is can't be more than 38" if that.

As far as trading your piano, you would have to deal with piano dealer to do that, most likely. Why don't you check with a few local piano dealers and see what they can do for you.

Your piano does have a unique finish on it. smile

Good luck!!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
The piano in the picture is what the OP is looking for, not the Samick that the OP has.

Larry.

T
tamarak Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Hi Rick,
Thanks so much for the response!
I'm sorry if I wasn't clear - The picture I posted was the type I am looking to buy. Below is a picture of one similar to my Samick:

[Linked Image]

Tamara

There were many brands of "Middle of The Road" Pianos built in America, particularly during the 1950s and 60s. The Kings were Wurlitzer And Baldwin, followed by other brands like Kimball, Lester, Kohler and Campbell, and many more. They weren't a 'Steinway', so to say, but they were still good. The trouble is, these types of Console Pianos have fallen out of popularity, not because they're bad instruments, but because people just move with the times; People now like Digital Pianos. A good, 1950s Wurlitzer, Baldwin, or any other names mentioned above should suffice your needs quite nicely. They can often be found for less than 1,000 dollars as well. Handcrafted and American made(Not saying that your Samick isn't a good piano), these instruments, when kept in good shape, stand the test of time. My 1952 Wurlitzer Spinet (Beautiful Mahogany stained, the finish still gleams) doesn't have the tone, say, of a Full Size Yamaha Upright, but it projects the sound much, much better. If you don't really care about the tone of the piano and want a small, un-intrusive model, you could get a Spinet. Most people on here will degrade them to no end, but when you find one in good condition, it's not a bad piano at all. But ALWAYS make sure it's been tuned, regulated, and kept up with over the years. I had the luxury today of playing a 1958 Baldwin Acrosonic Spinet....beautiful pecan finish. The tone was very good. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!

1952 Wurlitzer 2150 Spinet...'The boogie-nator' laugh
Man, can it R-O-C-K! smile
T
tamarak Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Hi Wurlifan,
Thank you so much for all the great info. This is exactly what I am looking for.
I do have 2 follow-up questions to what you've posted:
1.) Is there any way to verify that the piano I'm buying has been maintained, as you've described? I know I've had mine tuned pretty infrequently, but I don't have any documentation of when it's been serviced. Would a dealer have some kind of documentation or is there another way to tell?
2.) You mention the "tone" of the piano is different in a spinet. Can you tell me more about what you mean by that. I'm sure this is a very silly question, but I don't want to make assumptions on what you mean by this.

Thanks again for your help.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Funny, I grew up playing a Wurlitzer spinet. I guess there were a bunch of them in circulation for a while. I am not trying to dog your piano, at all, but when I was growing up I had serious piano envy.

I heard this was the way they are, or maybe it was just mine, but the action was pretty bad. Keys were wobbly, sorta moved side-to-side, way too light, etc. No, we never had it regulated. Problem is when you have a piano that's only worth a few hundred bucks you don't feel like spending a few hundred for service.

Back to the topic at hand, maybe a Yamaha P22 or a Yamaha M series? I always see them in wood finishes. http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/keyboards/uprightpianos/p_series/?mode=series

They're not spinets, but I don't think you'll really want a spinet. I heard the actions are compromised to make it fit in that short case.

Well, you see, a Spinet piano is for those who don't have a lot of space, or, like you, who want an un-intrusive model. Spinet pianos are pianos, just a little smaller at about 3 feet tall. This may sound shocking, but they can actually project quite well, depending on the Spinet. Due to the short strings, the tone can become 'tinny' or 'metallic' over the years. If you're wondering what the tone on a Spinet Sounds like.....here ya go. This is what you get with a Spinet. This is actually the original Peanuts song "Linus And Lucy", using a new Spinet....of course, this recording was made in the 60s, but if you find one in good condition, it should sound like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgoPl35n_AY How do I know it's a 'Spinet'? I know the sound, you can trust me.

And also, regulation is keeping the action of the piano (The inside) in touch. There's around 9,000 moving parts in a piano, they all need to be maintained on a regular basis to ensure long piano life. So if you've just tuned it, you should know. Plus, regulation does cost a lot. Tuning usually runs about 100-150 in my area. So if you've never really spent more than that, you've probably never regulated it. And yes, a professional should be able to tell.

I have a 1952 Wurlitzer Spinet with all Wooden Parts. It was their 'flagship' spinet for a while, with a fancy 'Wurl-on' Finish and even three real working pedals! The action on mine is superb, although it is starting to get a little creaky in spots. And yes, they do have the 'Drop action.' If you had a lower price model, it might not be as quality made. Mine still repeats fast enough to let me do my boogie licks! smile

Originally Posted by tamarak
Hi Rick,
Thanks so much for the response!
I'm sorry if I wasn't clear - The picture I posted was the type I am looking to buy. Below is a picture of one similar to my Samick:

Sorry, Tamarak, my mistake... I didn't read your original thread thorough enough. I'm embarrassed. smile (Thanks for pointing that out, iLaw)

I do a lot of reading on my job, and sometimes I skim the text. Guess I need to slow down a bit. It is kind of like my music tempo... I have two basic tempos; fast and faster. smile

Good luck on the trade, and keep us informed!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
S
S
I would avoid the spinet pianos and look for a Yamaha or Kawai console. used ones are widely available both in stores and on Craigslist.com. $1000 plus the sale price for your Samick should be enough.

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Hi Tamarak - Welcome to Piano World!

What you are trying to do seems very possible. This may be quite successful when working through a dealer as the piano you have, and due to its style is popular, and the one you want is not as much in favor right now. This could work into a win-win situation.

Let me clear up some terms.

The piano you own would generally be referred to as a 'studio,' rather than a 'console.' That's the term for the tall, rather institutional looking pianos, and they are currently popular when people are shopping for a vertical. There are more detailed and technical reasons for the nomenclature of vertical pianos, but I'm trying to give you easy visual signs.

The terms of "spinet" and "console" have become blurred through common usage to mean any home piano in a given furniture style. That could be French or Italian Provincial, Contemporary, Arts & Crafts, etc. To someone who is more knowledgeable about the mechanical differences, like WurliFan, the action, rather than the case, makes the distinction.

The photo of the piano you like (1st post) I think is a console. There is no way to really tell without opening it up, but judging by the height, that would be my guess. These are generally available at a piano store as they are often traded in for a larger vertical or a grand. Believe me, they are not scarce, and you might be able to arrange an even trade. You get the piano you want and the dealer gets a piano which is easier to sell.

Spinets/Consoles are still being produced and the newer the instrument on your shopping list will generally be better. If going back to an instrument built in the 60's or 70's, I would recommend a Baldwin. The earlier ones are named Acrosonic on the fallboard, and later production carries the Baldwin label. They have proven to be very well built pianos and hold up well. However, they are aging instruments. Though spinets can be very satisfying pianos, I would recommend a console as they are much easier to service if that becomes necessary in the future. Also, they are generally more robust in tone, especially in the bass.

There are some advantages of working through a reputable piano store. The piano will have been inspected, any minor repairs or adjustments made, and will have received a fresh tuning. Delivery and in home tuning can be negotiated and possibly the removal of the piano you are trading.

On the right side of this page, there is a link to the "A&D Piano Buyer" which is a great source of information about pianos and buying a piano. The online edition is free and it is pretty much considered the 'bible' for piano reference.

To see the range of what is available on the market, here is a link which will give you an idea of the marketplace: http://rickjonespianos.com/

If you give us a general indication of your location, the members here might be able to recommend specific dealerships in your area.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
LOL, Marty! Thanks for the compliment!

T
tamarak Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Wow! You are all so great! Thank you!

I hadn't thought about going through a dealer, but that was a really good suggestion. I contacted one today and he said he could probably sell my Samick for me for $750-$1000, depending on condition. Given that I've seen similar pianos on Craigslist posted for around $1500, I think I'll try to sell it privately for maybe $1250 and see what I can get. I'm in no hurry, so it's worth it to see if I can get a few hundred extra dollars for it.

As for my replacement piano, you all have given me some great places to start my shopping. I think I might feel more comfortable buying from a dealer so that I know the piano has been serviced properly, as Minnesota Marty suggested.I'll check back in and let you know how it all goes!

Thanks again!

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission