2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (Colin Miles, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, ChickenBrother, Barly, 9 invisible), 2,067 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
P
I have recently been attempting to create a transcription of this brilliant work; the last movement in particular. To my knowledge, none yet exists. My question is, do you think this will be feasible? Can it be made to work as a transcription? Do you have any experience transcribing orchestral works, and if so, which ones, and how did it turn out? I have my own hypotheses already, but I'd like to hear your opinion. smile

Here is an excerpt from my transcription:
[Linked Image]

Regards,

Polyphonist
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Only thing I can really see is to watch out for large stretches. In m3, you have EGCG. That's a really big hand. You might consider cutting out one of the G's (preferably the top G), especially considering the other 3 G's played on that beat.

If the whole piece (or at least that whole section) includes triplets on nearly every beat, you could consider a different time signature.. but that's more cosmetic than anything else.

Otherwise, I think it looks fine. When do we get to hear a recording? smile

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
P
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Derulux
Only thing I can really see is to watch out for large stretches. In m3, you have EGCG. That's a really big hand. You might consider cutting out one of the G's (preferably the top G), especially considering the other 3 G's played on that beat.

If the whole piece (or at least that whole section) includes triplets on nearly every beat, you could consider a different time signature.. but that's more cosmetic than anything else.

I think you might be missing the fact that this is a transcription of a symphonic work, Derulux. I can't change Rachmaninoff's time signature. I am going to change the chord you mentioned to E-G#-C#-E instead, not because of the stretch really but because it works better harmonically (even though it's not quite as accurate with the score).

Regards,

Polyphonist
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Polyphonist

I think you might be missing the fact that this is a transcription of a symphonic work, Derulux. I can't change Rachmaninoff's time signature. I am going to change the chord you mentioned to E-G#-C#-E instead, not because of the stretch really but because it works better harmonically (even though it's not quite as accurate with the score).

Yeah, I'm not as familiar with the "rules" of transcription. If you have to follow the time sig, then so be it.

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
P
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Polyphonist

Yeah, I'm not as familiar with the "rules" of transcription. If you have to follow the time sig, then so be it.

Well, I agree it is a bit inconvenient to have to keep pressing Ctrl-3 (create a triplet) endlessly, but the rhythm changes a few minutes into the movement and becomes quarter note triplets instead. So I have to stick to the 2/2 time signature, much as I'd like to switch between 12/8 and 6/4. laugh

Regards,

Polyphonist

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission