Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2158788 - 09/27/13 07:44 PM Escapement - what is it good for?
Vid Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
The topic of escapement has come up in the Digital Piano forum within the context of digital piano designs are now including (or mimicking really) the feel of this in their actions.

I welcome this feature because it makes adjusting from my digital keyboard to a real acoustic action a lot more seamless. What came up in the discussion though is the idea that this escapement feature is perhaps an unfortunate 'artifact' in the design and mechanism of an acoustic piano action.

I've been taught to sense the 'let-off' when playing slowly and softly. There seems to be some tactile feedback when you feel the slight resistance in a technique I've seen called "playing off the jack".

What I would like to know is this feature of an acoustic action undesirable?

Would it be better if there was no 'let-off' point to make it easier for pianists to achieve more velocity and softer dynamics?

Would an ideal piano action minimize the escapement feel or remove it entirely?

I expect there are varying opinions on this but am really curious what people think about it.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2158791 - 09/27/13 08:13 PM Re: Escapement - what is it good for? [Re: Vid]
PianoWorksATL Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta, GA
It's there because it has to be. It's similar to the artifact of a manual transmission. Modern automatic transmissions are seemless and approach the efficiency of manual but manual is still best for performance. The artifact is feeling the shift.

A piano action has many compromises to make it do different things well. If you look up the history of the development of piano actions, you'll see a variety of solutions that were not adopted, not just a linear progression to what is now standard. Piano could have become a very different musical instrument if the Jank├│ keyboard had become standard.
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta

#2158796 - 09/27/13 08:30 PM Re: Escapement - what is it good for? [Re: Vid]
Bosendorff Offline

Originally Posted By: Vid
Would an ideal piano action minimize the escapement feel or remove it entirely?

I expect there are varying opinions on this but am really curious what people think about it.

Sensing the escapement, as you mention, can be important for those who use a digital as a practice instrument when they can't use an acoustic piano. At the same time, with practice a good pianist doesn't really need to feel (or be guided by) that particular "friction point" so much. Even the softest passages imply a minimum of velocity, so it's just a matter of practice to use just enough finger pressure/force/weight while adjusting to the particular action. Of course, the better an acoustic piano will be regulated, the softer it can respond for ppp passages.

So for players who buy a DP as a primary instrument because they don't have the chance to play on a grand action (or don't plan to buy/play an acoustic piano), that feature isn't really needed. Same as other "imperfections emulation" on digital pianos like adding pedal noise, etc.

An ideal piano IMHO would be free of all unwanted noise, have dampers up to note 88, etc.

#2158799 - 09/27/13 08:45 PM Re: Escapement - what is it good for? [Re: Vid]
Ed McMorrow, RPT Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
The piano action is a mechanism for transferring variable momentum into musically significant periodic motions to create control over the sound volume of each note.
It needs to do this in the most flexible way to allow pianists the widest freedom of expression. Being able to do this many times a second across a wide range of the musical compass maximizes musical information.

Of most importance to the momentum transfer between hammer and string is the ability of the hammer to not damp the rapidly vibrating string just after it strikes. thus most actions have a method of disconnecting just before impact-escapement.

Often ignored is the inertia of the hammer in relation to the string period. Many newer pianos have hammers that are so heavy that the string is significantly damped during striking. Many of the older pianos had lighter hammers and thus they "escaped" quicker.

After escapement the hammer also helps return the key to rest. If the inertia of the action is properly established, this return is valuable for virtuoso repertoire because it informs your finger when the key is available for next use and the momentum of the returning key can help move your hand into other playing positions. Such as arpeggios.

#2158809 - 09/27/13 09:14 PM Re: Escapement - what is it good for? [Re: Ed McMorrow, RPT]
Ahmediy Offline

Escapement makes it easier on my fingers.
I can know the position of the keys and do not have to hit them all the way down like with digital.
Some digitals feel like tapping fingers on the desk at school, not very nice!

#2158813 - 09/27/13 09:34 PM Re: Escapement - what is it good for? [Re: Vid]
SBP Offline

#2158819 - 09/27/13 10:04 PM Re: Escapement - what is it good for? [Re: Vid]
4evrBeginR Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
I was taught not to depend on the escapement even though it is obviously there. Once you've learned to relax into the keybed, it is possible to play softly regardless of upright, grand, or digital, with or without the feedback of an escapement.

It's all gimick. There are lots of little sensory "feelings" when playing an acoustic action whether it's an upright or grand. I can't imagine the maker of a digital simulating all of them, so just giving you the one thing means very little in my book.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
126 registered (aesop, 36251, Allard, aDino, ajames, 31 invisible), 1573 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75602 Members
42 Forums
156332 Topics
2296003 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
August Piano Bar, drinks on the house
by Peyton
08/01/14 09:40 AM
I just read this at the Yamaha FAQ website
by BrianDX
08/01/14 09:21 AM
Schimmel DUO piano
by wimpiano
08/01/14 08:56 AM
Feurich 190 cm grand from 1920 - Is it any good?
by pinkfloydhomer
08/01/14 08:16 AM
Who's gigging with MP11
by 36251
08/01/14 07:45 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission