Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
102 registered (accordeur, 36251, Al LaPorte, anamnesis, A Guy, 34 invisible), 1460 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2158980 - 09/28/13 09:24 AM would you attempt restoration? Albrecht
Katimaybe Offline

Circa 1790 Albrecht Square grand piano. Case in good shape. Has all keys. Dampers not attached but in possession.Hand stop functional. Would you try to make this beautiful antique functional? Or would you leave it alone? Also-would any of you have an idea as to approximate value?

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2158994 - 09/28/13 09:49 AM Re: would you attempt restoration? Albrecht [Re: Katimaybe]
Rickster Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
Hi, and welcome to Piano World!

I’ve seen old square grands for sale pretty cheap (or free). I admit that they are beautiful, but, as for me, I would not want one in my home. They are a relic of days gone by and a part of piano history; but me personally, I want a piano as modern and as good an instrument as I can get.

Also, for what it would cost to have it completely, and properly, restored, you could buy a very nice modern piano, or a restored vintage instrument.

Hey, you asked what I would do, and that is about it… smile

Good luck!

Rick

#2159028 - 09/28/13 11:08 AM Re: would you attempt restoration? Albrecht [Re: Katimaybe]
Ed McMorrow, RPT Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
Albrecht pianos are among the earliest ones made in the USA. Some date before independence.

Conservation and preservation would be advised if you can afford it.

Can you post pictures with serial number showing?

#2159031 - 09/28/13 11:11 AM Re: would you attempt restoration? Albrecht [Re: Katimaybe]
terminaldegree Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: western Wisconsin
Are you interested in it as a working musical instrument or a historical piece?

If the former is the case, no, I would never attempt to pour money into restoring a square piano.
Casio px-200, Bechstein A190 #192939 @ home
Steinway A #585209, B #416809 @ work
Schimmel 130T #339100, on loan

#2159116 - 09/28/13 02:55 PM Re: would you attempt restoration? Albrecht [Re: Katimaybe]
musicpassion Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California, USA
I wouldn't dump money into a square grand if the goal is a musical instrument.

If the goal is historical interest, then it's a different story.

#2159122 - 09/28/13 03:04 PM Re: would you attempt restoration? Albrecht [Re: Katimaybe]
OperaTenor Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sandy Eggo, California
I believe this piano predates what we commonly associate with "square grand." I agree with Ed; this piano almost certainly has historical significance and probably ought to be preserved.

Here's a photo of a 1790 Albrecht square I found on line:

It would be a museum piece.

#2159158 - 09/28/13 03:47 PM Re: would you attempt restoration? Albrecht [Re: Katimaybe]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Is it a true piano or a clavichord?

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2159207 - 09/28/13 05:36 PM Re: would you attempt restoration? Albrecht [Re: Minnesota Marty]
Ed McMorrow, RPT Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
The historical record of early keyboard making in the new world does not have any records of clavichords or harpsichords being made there. Only pianos.

Unless I missed something in my studies.

#2159209 - 09/28/13 05:38 PM Re: would you attempt restoration? Albrecht [Re: Katimaybe]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Thanks.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2159704 - 09/29/13 03:23 PM Re: would you attempt restoration? Albrecht [Re: Katimaybe]
Katimaybe Offline

Thanks all. I have looked everywhere and I'm unable to find a serial number. I think I can figure out how to upload pictures.will try on home computer as mobile seems not to work.So then who does this type of restoration? Kate

#2159719 - 09/29/13 03:57 PM Re: would you attempt restoration? Albrecht [Re: Katimaybe]
Katimaybe Offline

I do love this piece but am debating its future in our family.
Unable to find serial numbers - is that odd? Here is a picture - think I have this figured out.

Attachments
Albrecht.jpg

#2159721 - 09/29/13 03:59 PM Re: would you attempt restoration? Albrecht [Re: Katimaybe]
Katimaybe Offline

ok. I don't have it figured out. Sorry - no pics today.

#2159789 - 09/29/13 07:22 PM Re: would you attempt restoration? Albrecht [Re: Katimaybe]
OperaTenor Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Is it similar in appearance to the one I posted?

I think for a 1790-vintage piano, there may well be no serial number.

If you don't want to keep it, I'm certain any number of music-related museums would be interested in it.

#2159877 - 09/30/13 12:07 AM Re: would you attempt restoration? Albrecht [Re: Katimaybe]
Nash. Piano Rescue Offline

Loc: East Nashville,TN Scottsville...
It would probably be a really short number as in 2 -3 digits. I have an 1806 Stodart & Dubois which has a 3 digit SN. It too has a beautiful cabinet with quite a bit of gold leaf and a really odd base. It's a great conversation piece but does not play. We too decided to keep it original as they are only that way once.

Museums love to trade so if you go that route and have something they want maybe they have something you might like .
East Nashville
Bowling Green, KY
Scottsville KY.
Chamber of Commerce
Member/Sponsor

Putting inspiration in the hands of area musicians
Through restoration/renovation

#2160202 - 09/30/13 07:05 PM Re: would you attempt restoration? Albrecht [Re: Katimaybe]
David-G Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: London
This is completely different from the sort of "square grand" to which Rickster was referring. This might better be described as a square fortepiano. I love these instruments - the sound is delicate, they have a very light touch and would suit Mozart admirably. And they are extremely elegant as pieces of furniture. I understand that it may not be too difficult to restore this type of instrument, but you will want to be historically sensitive and you will need guidance.

"Friends of Square Pianos" is based in the UK, but you will find their web site very informative:

http://www.friendsofsquarepianos.co.uk/

Despite the distance, I am sure that you would find David Hackett very helpful. In the US, a person who is very knowledgeable about this type of instrument is Tom Strange, "Square Piano Tech". His web site is

http://www.squarepianotech.com/

I suggest that you contact him, I am sure that he would be pleased to give you advice.

You have a lovely instrument Kati, you should try to restore it.

Edited by David-G (09/30/13 07:15 PM)

#2160277 - 10/01/13 01:03 AM Re: would you attempt restoration? Albrecht [Re: Katimaybe]
Supply Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
If it is really from 1790, it should never be restored. It should be be conserved. Too many vintage and historical pianos have been ruined by restoration by well-meaning individuals. Fewer and fewer remain in original condition for viewing and study.

If someone wants to play period music on a forte piano from around 1800, the way to go is to get a replica. These are commonly found in universities and music academies. There are numerous makers who specialize in replicating period keyboard instruments and early pianos.

Piattino Caster Cups distributor

#2160292 - 10/01/13 02:22 AM Re: would you attempt restoration? Albrecht [Re: Supply]
OperaTenor Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Supply
If it is really from 1790, it should never be restored. It should be be conserved. Too many vintage and historical pianos have been ruined by restoration by well-meaning individuals. Fewer and fewer remain in original condition for viewing and study.

If someone wants to play period music on a forte piano from around 1800, the way to go is to get a replica. These are commonly found in universities and music academies. There are numerous makers who specialize in replicating period keyboard instruments and early pianos.

Amen, Jurgen!

#2160339 - 10/01/13 06:44 AM Re: would you attempt restoration? Albrecht [Re: Supply]
Rich Galassini Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia/South Jersey
Originally Posted By: Supply

I agree with OT - beautifully said.

I am in Philadelphia (where Albrecht built) and I have seen several of these and at least one is on display in our local museums. What is the exact name of the piano? Does it say "Albrecht", "Charles Albrecht", "Albrecht & Co.", or something else?

This would give us some clue as to its age. A picture would be grand also.

He was also a retailer and sold a variety of early pianos and perhaps harpsichords. These could have a secondary label of "Albrecht" since he was the seller. I am throwing that in there in case there is another name on it.
Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com
www.cunninghampiano.com

#2160422 - 10/01/13 10:54 AM Re: would you attempt restoration? Albrecht [Re: Katimaybe]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
Kate, as to the value of this piece, an appraisal by someone qualified to give an opinion would be the way to go (and would be much more affordable than launching into a restoration or conservation project). You don't mention your location, but an easy way to begin might be by sending letters (stating provenance as far as you are able, and including photographs of the instrument, inside and out) to museums, or to universities with departments which publish on historic keyboard instruments. For example, the Smithsonian, Yale, University of Indiana, Oxford--- there will be many more which don't come to mind immediately. Maybe some of the more prominent conservatories.

As to Ed McMorrow's observation, "...The historical record of early keyboard making in the new world does not have any records of clavichords or harpsichords being made there. Only pianos..." It is, no doubt, true, yet curious. One would think the clavichord would have been just the thing for musical people to drag West, or around the Horn. But, no. We hear of the piano, the pump organ, the fiddle, the harmonica. Even the guitar gets scant mention, and the lighter brass and reed instruments even less.

Anyway, best of luck with your researches.

#2161430 - 10/03/13 09:34 PM Re: would you attempt restoration? Albrecht [Re: Katimaybe]
Gary Fowler Offline

Agree with Supply! You want to leave this thing unmolested

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What to Practice, Given My Goal
by st23
12/19/14 09:11 AM
Roland V Combo VR-09 Question
by contented
12/19/14 09:11 AM
Rachmoninoff Piano Concertos
by RED SHIFT1
12/19/14 08:48 AM
I just bought a Casio PX-780
by Rozzok
12/19/14 07:54 AM
trill RH: the LH goes too fast
by Lorcar
12/19/14 06:44 AM
Forum Stats
77354 Members
42 Forums
159982 Topics
2349343 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission