Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#2159225 - 09/28/13 05:56 PM Re: Beethoven Sonatas ranked by difficulty [Re: Phlebas]
Franz Beebert Offline

I can name some Beethoven sonatas that I would consider harder than the 4th Ballade in terms of hitting the right notes at the right speed(whatever that means):
Op 53, Op 57, Op 81a, Op 106, Op 111.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2159227 - 09/28/13 05:57 PM Re: Beethoven Sonatas ranked by difficulty [Re: Franz Beebert]
Polyphonist Online   content
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: Franz Beebert
I can name some Beethoven sonatas that I would consider harder than the 4th Ballade in terms of hitting the right notes at the right speed(whatever that means):
Op 53, Op 57, Op 81a, Op 106, Op 111.

Okay, that may be true. What I do know is that Opus 52 is musically harder than 53, 57, and 81a, from what I've observed.

Polyphonist

#2159228 - 09/28/13 05:58 PM Re: Beethoven Sonatas ranked by difficulty [Re: Phlebas]
Franz Beebert Offline

Sorry about that. I mentioned these other pieces to show that if we speak about "velocity" or "hitting the right notes" then I consider the difficulty of the 4th Ballade being overrated; it's not harder than all the late sonatas. The really hard thing about that piece is to make it work as a whole and to voice it properly and make it sound right.

Edited by Franz Beebert (09/28/13 05:59 PM)

#2159229 - 09/28/13 06:00 PM Re: Beethoven Sonatas ranked by difficulty [Re: Phlebas]
JoelW Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

I think everything is equally as hard to play well.

#2159230 - 09/28/13 06:01 PM Re: Beethoven Sonatas ranked by difficulty [Re: Phlebas]
Franz Beebert Offline

That's what they have been doing all the time in this thread. Why argue about anything?

#2159232 - 09/28/13 06:02 PM Re: Beethoven Sonatas ranked by difficulty [Re: Franz Beebert]
Polyphonist Online   content
6000 Post Club Member

Sorry about that. I mentioned these other pieces to show that if we speak about "velocity" or "hitting the right notes" then I consider the difficulty of the 4th Ballade being overrated; it's not harder than all the late sonatas. The really hard thing about that piece is to make it work as a whole and to voice it properly and make it sound right.

...which is a task no one has ever accomplished satisfactorily.

Polyphonist

#2159233 - 09/28/13 06:03 PM Re: Beethoven Sonatas ranked by difficulty [Re: Phlebas]
Franz Beebert Offline

You changed your post wink I agree with you; everything is hard to play well. That's why we mentioned "hitting the right notes at the right speed". In terms of playing everything well, then a Mozart Sonata can be just as hard if not harder than a Liszt Etude for a technically proficient pianist.

Edited by Franz Beebert (09/28/13 06:06 PM)

#2159236 - 09/28/13 06:06 PM Re: Beethoven Sonatas ranked by difficulty [Re: Polyphonist]
Franz Beebert Offline

Originally Posted By: Polyphonist

...which is a task no one has ever accomplished satisfactorily.

I think Richter does it satisfactorily wink
I have never heard a pianist play the late SCHUBERT sonatas completely satisfactorily though(Richter comes close), those are HARD pieces wink Actually, who plays anything completely satisfactorily? I can't name a pianist who I think plays Chopin's Op 48 No 1 even close to satisfactorily; is that because it's the hardest piece Chopin ever wrote?

#2159243 - 09/28/13 06:12 PM Re: Beethoven Sonatas ranked by difficulty [Re: Franz Beebert]
JoelW Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

You changed your post wink I agree with you; everything is hard to play well. That's why we mentioned "hitting the right notes at the right speed". In terms of playing everything well, then a Mozart Sonata can be just as hard if not harder than a Liszt Etude for a technically proficient pianist.

Yeah.. I realized how crucial pointless arguing is to these forums. smile

And I agree with the Mozart statement.

#2159263 - 09/28/13 06:31 PM Re: Beethoven Sonatas ranked by difficulty [Re: Franz Beebert]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there
In terms of playing everything well, then a Mozart Sonata can be just as hard if not harder than a Liszt Etude for a technically proficient pianist.

Quite true.

Joel, you seemed relieved a few posts back when someone stated that Op. 52 was "easier" than the Hammerklavier (and a few other LvB sonatas), but that doesn't mean it's easy... technically, or musically. That said, many of the Beethoven sonatas are quite a bit more difficult than the fminor.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#2159273 - 09/28/13 06:38 PM Re: Beethoven Sonatas ranked by difficulty [Re: stores]
JoelW Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: stores
In terms of playing everything well, then a Mozart Sonata can be just as hard if not harder than a Liszt Etude for a technically proficient pianist.

Quite true.

Joel, you seemed relieved a few posts back when someone stated that Op. 52 was "easier" than the Hammerklavier (and a few other LvB sonatas), but that doesn't mean it's easy... technically, or musically. That said, many of the Beethoven sonatas are quite a bit more difficult than the fminor.

I was making a subtle statement of my musical taste. laugh

#2159274 - 09/28/13 06:39 PM Re: Beethoven Sonatas ranked by difficulty [Re: Franz Beebert]
carey Online   content
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Actually, who plays anything completely satisfactorily? I can't name a pianist who I think plays Chopin's Op 48 No 1 even close to satisfactorily; is that because it's the hardest piece Chopin ever wrote?

Completely satisfactorily according to WHO ??? crazy

I'm sure if you do a little research you'll find several pianists who can do better than "close to satisfactorily" with the Opus 48 No. 1. And no - it isn't the hardest piece that Chopin ever wrote...but it IS a handful !! grin

#2159283 - 09/28/13 06:54 PM Re: Beethoven Sonatas ranked by difficulty [Re: carey]
Franz Beebert Offline

Originally Posted By: carey
Actually, who plays anything completely satisfactorily? I can't name a pianist who I think plays Chopin's Op 48 No 1 even close to satisfactorily; is that because it's the hardest piece Chopin ever wrote?

I'm sure if you do a little research you'll find several pianists who can do better than "close to satisfactorily" with the Opus 48 No. 1. And no - it isn't the hardest piece that Chopin ever wrote...but it IS a handful !! grin

Listened to every possible recording on youtube. Not a single one I find good enough... Maybe it's something wrong with the piece... shocked

#2159284 - 09/28/13 06:55 PM Re: Beethoven Sonatas ranked by difficulty [Re: Phlebas]
Franz Beebert Offline

Or with me?

#2159382 - 09/28/13 09:48 PM Re: Beethoven Sonatas ranked by difficulty [Re: Franz Beebert]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Or with me?

I think not (some would agree with that a bit further). I understand you completely. There are many works I know, of which, I have heard numerous performances and nary an instance have I found even one to be completely in tune with my inner ear. Such is the personal fingerprint we all leave on any work we play. The best that you can hope to do is put forth your own rendering.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

♪ ≠ $

#2159436 - 09/29/13 01:24 AM Re: Beethoven Sonatas ranked by difficulty [Re: Franz Beebert]
carey Online   content
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Completely satisfactorily according to WHO ??? crazy I'm sure if you do a little research you'll find several pianists who can do better than "close to satisfactorily" with the Opus 48 No. 1. And no - it isn't the hardest piece that Chopin ever wrote...but it IS a handful !! grin
Listened to every possible recording on youtube. Not a single one I find good enough... Maybe it's something wrong with the piece... shocked

If you heard a recording of Chopin himself playing the Opus 48 No. 1 you'd probably be disappointed. smile

Edited by carey (09/29/13 01:26 AM)

#2159437 - 09/29/13 01:28 AM Re: Beethoven Sonatas ranked by difficulty [Re: carey]
JoelW Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Completely satisfactorily according to WHO ??? crazy I'm sure if you do a little research you'll find several pianists who can do better than "close to satisfactorily" with the Opus 48 No. 1. And no - it isn't the hardest piece that Chopin ever wrote...but it IS a handful !! grin

If you heard a recording of Chopin himself playing the Opus 48 No. 1 you'd probably be disappointed. smile

Or very pleased.

#2159464 - 09/29/13 03:14 AM Re: Beethoven Sonatas ranked by difficulty [Re: stores]
Franz Beebert Offline

Originally Posted By: stores
Or with me?

I think not (some would agree with that a bit further). I understand you completely. There are many works I know, of which, I have heard numerous performances and nary an instance have I found even one to be completely in tune with my inner ear. Such is the personal fingerprint we all leave on any work we play. The best that you can hope to do is put forth your own rendering.

Yes. I somehow feel that this is one of these pieces that are better in Plato's idea world than in this external world wink I myself find it extremely hard to make it sound the way I hear it in my mind.

#2159497 - 09/29/13 06:43 AM Re: Beethoven Sonatas ranked by difficulty [Re: carey]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Of course, we would all be ecstatic to the point of insanity to have the chance to hear Chopin play, but I think we'd all be highly disappointed were we to bring him back to the world in 2013. He would have one heck of a rough time with today's pianos (as would all of my favorite composers).

♪ ≠ $

#2159500 - 09/29/13 06:53 AM Re: Beethoven Sonatas ranked by difficulty [Re: Franz Beebert]
PrestoConFuocco Offline

Firstly, have you listened to Valentina Igoshina? Shes great.
Secondly, just because there isn't a version you like doesn't mean it's the hardest, it a matter of taste. (Usually when you really love a piece you never find a version that satisfies you, maybe that's the problem.)

#2159615 - 09/29/13 11:56 AM Re: Beethoven Sonatas ranked by difficulty [Re: Phlebas]
Franz Beebert Offline

I didn't mean that the Nocturne was the hardest piece -.- That was the point of my post, to show that it's always right to say that the hardest piece must be the one which is less often played well...

#2159652 - 09/29/13 01:10 PM Re: Beethoven Sonatas ranked by difficulty [Re: Franz Beebert]
PrestoConFuocco Offline

I didn't mean that the Nocturne was the hardest piece -.- That was the point of my post, to show that it's always right to say that the hardest piece must be the one which is less often played well...

Oh I guess that's what happens when I comment without reading everything :P

#2159681 - 09/29/13 02:26 PM Re: Beethoven Sonatas ranked by difficulty [Re: PrestoConFuocco]
JoelW Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: PrestoConFuocco
(Usually when you really love a piece you never find a version that satisfies you, maybe that's the problem.)

Not for me.

#2159684 - 09/29/13 02:33 PM Re: Beethoven Sonatas ranked by difficulty [Re: JoelW]
PrestoConFuocco Offline

Originally Posted By: JoelW
Originally Posted By: PrestoConFuocco
(Usually when you really love a piece you never find a version that satisfies you, maybe that's the problem.)

Not for me.

Then you're a lucky fellow.

#2159685 - 09/29/13 02:34 PM Re: Beethoven Sonatas ranked by difficulty [Re: Phlebas]
JoelW Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

In fact, what usually gets me to love a piece in the first place is hearing a performance that DOES satisfy me.

#2159709 - 09/29/13 03:28 PM Re: Beethoven Sonatas ranked by difficulty [Re: JoelW]
PrestoConFuocco Offline

That's the case for most pieces, but sometimes it's very disappointing that performers don't get as excited as you about a piece while playing. (Kind of hard to explain to somebody that never feels it... I give up.)

#2159718 - 09/29/13 03:55 PM Re: Beethoven Sonatas ranked by difficulty [Re: Franz Beebert]
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC

I don't know whether I should admire the refinement and elegant discernment of those who are never satisfied with performances that they hear - even by great musicians - or whether to be sorry that it appears that you cannot fully appreciate good performances for what they are, but always find them lacking.

I, for one, must have less refinement in my demands and in my tastes than some of you, for I find that many, many performances please me to the degree that can I bask in them and enjoy them for what they are without feeling a lack in them for what they are not.

Regards,
Writing from Paris until 15 May, 2014

#2159733 - 09/29/13 04:33 PM Re: Beethoven Sonatas ranked by difficulty [Re: Phlebas]
Franz Beebert Offline

That's great BruceD smile I just think in a way, that some pieces are of such a high order, that they are better inside your head than when heard... It's sounds weird and it's hard to explain, but often the idea is better than the reality maybe?

Edited by Franz Beebert (09/29/13 04:33 PM)

#2159747 - 09/29/13 04:59 PM Re: Beethoven Sonatas ranked by difficulty [Re: Phlebas]
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

How can any amateur pianist(or even a high level professional)think they know more about how a piece should sound that any of the greatest pianists?

Do you actually think that if you had the technique to do whatever you wanted your interpretation would be superior, more beautiful, more exciting, etc. than any of those recorded by even the greatest pianists?

Edited by pianoloverus (09/29/13 05:03 PM)

#2159748 - 09/29/13 05:02 PM Re: Beethoven Sonatas ranked by difficulty [Re: Phlebas]
Franz Beebert Offline

That's not what I am saying. I don't think you understand my point unfortunately. The whole thing about interpreting music and the difficulty about is, is to try understanding the real idea of the composer and the piece. Just as with everything; moral, ethics, art, human and god...

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
162 registered (36251, accordeur, Akshay, Alex Hernandez, 56 invisible), 1525 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74250 Members
42 Forums
153588 Topics
2250989 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
give up on old acoustics and buy a digital?
by carojm36
04/19/14 06:41 PM
I think I have a problem
by JoelW
04/19/14 05:02 PM
Etude in G
by Polyphonist
04/19/14 03:58 PM
A Piano Song With Notes In It
by Ritzycat
04/19/14 03:51 PM
Playing the piano again
by Mr.Wolf
04/19/14 03:47 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission