Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2159231 - 09/28/13 06:01 PM Truman sleeps - i cannot put the two hands together
Beautyflowing Offline

Loc: Denmark
Hello i am trying to play Philip Glass - Truman Sleeps, as i adore the song.

I am studying the song from:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IG0Kv469Ntk
and trying to get cooordination of hands from this synthesia:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MEfRuUeH4Y

I can play the left hand part well, with my eyes closed. I can play the right hand part somewhat stutteringly, but also with my eyes closed (octaves).

It is my biggest barrier, playing with my left hand and my right hand at the same time.

In order for me to have any chance of playing the octaves in the right, together with the melody in the left, i tried to find out how they are interconnected.

When listening to the song, i thought the left hand theme played entirely independently of the right hand octaves, that are sprinkled on top.

After looking at a sheet and synthesia i found what i thought would be my breakthrough.

It seems the octaves (played by right hand) are played every other note (or every 2nd note).

So the Classic left hand theme goes :

F - G# - C

The right hand theme enters upon the C, and progresses every second note after that.

So this is how i play:
Left hand goes : F - G# - C - F - G# - C - F -
Right hand goes: X - XX - F - X - G - X - G#-
X = pressing nothing, i had to put it there due to format)

Quite simply in order for me to overcome the massive brick wall that is playing two seemingly seperate melodies, i had to find some common ground.

I thought the solution was progressing with the right hand on every other note. So when my left hand plays 2 notes, my right hand plays 1.

Even though it seems to match synthesia, and sheets, it sounds utter crap.

I dont know what im doing wrong but it doesnt seem to be working for me.

If anyone has some tips on how i can put the two hands together for a beginner, i would like to hear them.

I find the two melodies on top of each other exquisitely beautiful, and it is frustrating me somewhat that i am butchering them so thoroughly.

By the way, the connection i thought would Work for me, playing right hand every 2nd note, i do know this ceases to be the case once i hit the octaved A# Which lasts for 4 notes in the left hand (or half a bar on sheet).

But in my experience my right hand sounds crap way before i ever reach A#.

Right hand goes F - G - G# - A#

Usually sometime by G#, A# or C Octaved, ive butchered the right hand melody.

I would appreciate some insight if anyone has comments

Kind regards Henrik

Edited by Beautyflowing (09/28/13 06:04 PM)

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2159337 - 09/28/13 08:10 PM Re: Truman sleeps - i cannot put the two hands together [Re: Beautyflowing]
rocket88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Your problem appears to be that you are a beginner, and this is not beginner music. Thus, you are biting off more than you can chew.

Hands together is an intense growth process, and having a good teacher guide you is priceless.

Most beginners have to start at the beginning with very simple hands together music, very slowly, and grow beyond that with carefully selected repertoire and exercises.

From time to time people come to my studio and want to play something like this piece which is way over their head. The only success I have had is to convince them that they have to do the "heavy lifting" of working their way up to that level, which is often a long and winding road.

Sorry, there is no magic potion for this, as far as I know.

#2159354 - 09/28/13 08:46 PM Re: Truman sleeps - i cannot put the two hands together [Re: Beautyflowing]
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: not in Japan anymore
Rocket88 is probably right, Glass's music is much more challenging than many people think.

But perhaps there are a few more things you might try, since you've gotten this far. first of all, you do have a traditional score for this piece, right? Assuming you do, here is my advice (such as it is)

First, at least for a while, stop listening to the original, or the tutorials, at tempo, and definitely stop with the synthesia. For a little while, get away from the original tempo, because you need to be able to coordinate both hands, and that will work better if you don't have a too-fast tempo playing in your head that your hands are trying to match. If possible, play from the score, and try to get the melody into your head, and your hands, at a slower tempo than what you're getting from the various YouTube videos.

Now, you said
Quote:
I can play the left hand part well, with my eyes closed. I can play the right hand part somewhat stutteringly, but also with my eyes closed (octaves)

So first of all, you probably need to do more HS with the RH part, so that you are not "stuttering" when you play RH only.

Another thing to try is to play the LH part, and sing the RH part. (yes, out-loud) If you're able to do that, then that should bring you closer to being able to play it.

Now, as far as HS practice, it's important to be able to play HS at tempo. But then, once you can do that, before you try to play HT again, practice HS at a much slower tempo. This is to get you ready for HT. Be sure you can play HS correctly, but slowly again. Then, work on just a very small portion, HT, very slowly. Figure out where you have a RH stutter, and play those notes, plus the notes just before and just after them, HT, very slowly until you can get rid of the stutter. Don't speed up yet. Now start playing larger portions of music, HT, but very slowly. Don't rush the process, give yourself enough slow-practice until you're consistently able to play HT, and then gradually speed up. When you get stuck, have a hand "stutter" or your two hands slip out of synch, slow back down, do a little bit of slow HS if needed, and then try HT again, very slowly!

Did I mention that you need to play slowly? laugh

If you can't play correctly, HT, very slowly, then it is probably the case that this piece is too hard for you.

Good luck!

Edited by ShiroKuro (09/28/13 08:47 PM)

#2159380 - 09/28/13 09:42 PM Re: Truman sleeps - i cannot put the two hands together [Re: Beautyflowing]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Shiro's advice is spot on. Another thing you may want to try is to simply play the top note of the octaves at first, until you have the rhythm down, and then add the bottom note. Octaves are notorious for tripping up beginners. smile

#2159381 - 09/28/13 09:46 PM Re: Truman sleeps - i cannot put the two hands together [Re: Beautyflowing]
btcomm Offline

Loc: California
I went through the same thing you are going through and for the longest time never got anywhere with coordination until I finally gave up and got a teacher. The best thing I could ever have done. I think Rocket88 is correct. This is not a beginner song. I was so against having to get a teacher and figured before getting one I would not go more than 2 or 3 lessons just to get the "basics". That was more than 4 years ago and it's been great. A teacher will quickly get you started on solving your coordination problem --- the right way.

#2164474 - 10/10/13 02:39 PM Re: Truman sleeps - i cannot put the two hands together [Re: Beautyflowing]
piano_deb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Memphis, TN
We've probably all experienced similar difficulties with much easier pieces. As I've advanced, at glacial speed, from beginner to intermediate, my teacher has requested/allowed less and less HS when playing compositions; it can be more effective to play HT from the beginning, going as slowly as need be, and using HS primarily to work out fingering, etc on tricky passages. Learning an entire piece HS may make it harder to learn the piece HT ... or if not harder, exactly, certainly more frustrating. It's a bit like having to completely learn the music again.

I still do a fair amount of HS work with Hanon, scales, etc. Even though it's easier to get from HS to HT with exercises than with musical pieces, there's always a loss of speed and control that has to be overcome.

Not sure any of this will help you much in your current predicament, sorry. But it's a thought for the future. HT very slowly plus HS to work out problems.

Best of luck and let us know how you progress!

#2164482 - 10/10/13 03:14 PM Re: Truman sleeps - i cannot put the two hands together [Re: Beautyflowing]
anrpiano Offline

Loc: Chicago
Speed is the root of all evil. Slow way down, I mean way down. Try 1/2 tempo and that doesn't work 1/4 tempo. Find a speed in which it is very easy for you to play. Think of it this way: If you had a whole day to play one note would it be difficult? How about 12 hours? There is a speed which is slow enough for you to handle both hands easily, find it and only then gradually increase the speed. You can play anything if you are willing to start slow enough.

The suggest to stop listening is a good one; just because you can hear it in your own head does not mean your fingers have any idea what to do, you must train yourself is the same manner you would with a piece you were completely unfamiliar with.

Just my 2 cents.
Downers Grove, IL 60515

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Forster vs August Forster
by eazydyonizy
33 minutes 30 seconds ago
Grigory Sokolov releases album
by wimpiano
Today at 03:11 AM
Lindblad Steinway rebuilt pianos
by brahms
Today at 02:54 AM
Got the VPC1! Hooked up the Ivory! Played Brahms.
by TwoSnowflakes
Today at 02:13 AM
Pianos of Downton Abbey
by Almaviva
Yesterday at 11:58 PM
Who's Online
66 registered (Beemer, angga888, 17 invisible), 1074 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76620 Members
42 Forums
158436 Topics
2326670 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission